KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage and Classic Cars in Orissa

The last lot

Triumph TR4
Vintage and Classic Cars in Orissa-dptr4.jpg

The MGTC has to be restored
Vintage and Classic Cars in Orissa-dpmgtc.jpg

Only these cars were there in one shed. Since there is lot of construction work close by, there was dust but otherwise the cars are in excellent condition. There are more cars in a another shed which I could not make it to.

The other cars posted earlier which I could gather

Baby Austin
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2718064 (Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin)

Buick 7 Passenger
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2715560 (1930+/- Buick 7 passenger Restoration - Calcutta)

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 13:41   #17
BHPian

Strangely many of his cars are having UP registration. Any special reason for it?
kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 15:39   #18
BHPian

An information.

A small town in orissa is RajNilgiri. It is near Balasore town. This town was ruled by a king. A small fort was there also. I saw some vintage model there some years ago. I spent my childhood there and many vintage was lying in kings / other rich man's garage at that time.

I do not have any current information now. I will try to gather information.

Anyone have any information of those cars?
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 01:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
H
The two Bentley's (Derby & Mark VI) in the collection

The Jaguar Mark II is a 3.4 Litre
Attachment 1128510

The 1927 Lancia Lambda
Attachment 1128513

Attachment 1128514

Attachment 1128515

Attachment 1128516

Cheers

KPS

Hey KPS,

Hope you are doing well. Thank you so much for posting these pictures. This is one collection i wanted to see but was never able to make it.

The Black Rolls ex- Udaipur was very well restored by Late. Mr. Shashi Kanoria. I think there are pics of after restoration on the forum somewhere which were put up by Shrivardhan.

The Bentley Mark VI beloned to Late Mr. Suresh Kumar. Interestingly his brother Mr. Naresh Kumar also has the same model but that is a hard top coupe.

The red Jaguar came was black before and used to be owned by Mr. R.N Seth in Delhi and then it was passed on to Mr. Babi Nobis in Calcutta who is a very old family friend. He then painted her red and alot of mechanical work on the car was done by my dad before it went to Orissa. I remember seeing her a couple of times in calcutta and she looked fresh out of the showroom.

The Lancia Lambda was complete restored by my dad. The engine was done by someone in delhi before the car was passed on and came to calcutta. This car had a chronic problem of blowing the head gasket. I don't know if the present owner has been able to sort that problem out.

The Mercedes 630K was also worked on by dad before it went to Mr. Mallik when it was owned by Mr. Amarjeet Singh. There was also an incident when someone went to see the car to make an offer and then got caught pocketing the distributor rotor A common practice done by some back in the day i believe.

But one thing i noticed is all the cars seem to have become quite dull or maybe its just the light.

All in all nice to see the collection finally. Do all these cars run ??

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 02:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hey KPS,

The Bentley Mark VI beloned to Late Mr. Suresh Kumar. Interestingly his brother Mr. Naresh Kumar also has the same model but that is a hard top coupe.

The Lancia Lambda was complete restored by my dad. The engine was done by someone in delhi before the car was passed on and came to calcutta. This car had a chronic problem of blowing the head gasket. I don't know if the present owner has been able to sort that problem out.

Indrojit Sircar
Is the Bentley MK VI an ex-Cooch Behar Car ?

What is the provenance of the Lancia Lambda ? Cheers
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 07:17   #21
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey KPS,

But one thing i noticed is all the cars seem to have become quite dull or maybe its just the light.
All in all nice to see the collection finally. Do all these cars run ??
Regards
Indrojit Sircar
Thanks Indro for all the inputs. The latest Auto India also carries an article on this collection.

The cars look a bit dull because of mobile camera, poor light settings and some light dust. The cars are in very good condition. I guess most of the car were brought to Orissa as restored cars.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 15:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow KPS, thanks for sharing the pictures. There are some amazing cars. These cars on the pages of Auto India look a lot more gleaming. I like that fact that apart from the exotics he has the common cars too like the Alfa Romeo Cabriolet in yellow. Love his collection.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 02:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey KPS,

Was wondering if you got to see this Cadillac or has it changed hands? This was bought from a very dear friend of my father's.

Thanks

Indrojit Sircar
Attached Images

IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 07:48   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey KPS,

Was wondering if you got to see this Cadillac or has it changed hands? This was bought from a very dear friend of my father's.

Thanks

Indrojit Sircar
No Indro, I did not see this car. I got to see only the cars parked in one location. As we had limited time, we could not go to the second location where more cars are parked. The Auto India too does not mention about this Caddy. I did not see the Buick and Austin which was restored by Mr. Ghosh

The other cars I could figure from the Auto India report include
  1. 1947 Cadillac Series 62 convertible
  2. 1956 Dodge Kingsway
  3. Two 1960's Chevy Convertibles
  4. 1962 Jaguar E Type
  5. Landmaster
  6. Another Beetle
  7. 1990 Alfa
Hopefully, I will be able to see the second shed on my next visit.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 12:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_brullen View Post
I have also heard about people owning good number of vintage cars in Orissa. Problem is, I don't exactly know .
I have even heard that the Cristian missionaries active their have some pre-war jeeps also. Some time ago I had came across a person who said he has a left hand drive original Willey jeep and would sell it around 50K.
I don't have proper links their so I am helpless for further search, I wish some of our members in Orissa would surely help us.
Hi friends, I am currently residing in Orissa. I would be happy to help collectors. There are many Willys jeeps and some very old classic, vintage cars available at a garage near CRPF. The cars are available but can you restore them? I think they are already scrap material now. There is a big long Chevrolet left hand drive car. Maybe if you are interested I will talk with the garage guys. Some Standard cars can be seen too. Some local Karnataka based car model that looks ages old can also be seen. Some Peugeot 309s available.
adit mishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 22:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Hi friends, I am currently residing in Orissa. Some Standard cars can be seen too. Some local Karnataka based car model that looks ages old can also be seen. Some Peugeot 309s available.
I'd be particularly interested in pics. (only! for now) of the Standards.I personally don't recall seeing a single one (other than ours, a Standard Gazel!) when I lived in BBSR for a couple of years in the early 90s!
I presume the cars you refer to Heralds?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote