Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th July 2016, 13:17   #181
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Cadillacs in India

Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Here's something for the experts / historians. A friend of a friend owns this cadillac / Lasalle in Italy. ...
Hi Ragtop, sounds corny but.....

I remembered a similar story of yore and searched a bit. This is what came up, a thread started by sat on 14th November 2007 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...and-60s-2.html (vintage car driven from india to switzerland in 60's.)

This is about a Cadillac that was driven back to Switzerland. Unfortunately not the same car, the Italian is a roadster, the Swiss car was a tourer.

Better photos of the Italian car would be appreciated.

I thought that these cars were assembled in India, maybe not this one.

About VCCCI's response no surprise, they don't know much, but they could have asked around.

An interesting story nevertheless and worthy to be put up. Hope the mystry unravels soon.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Cadillacs in India-lacad.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 29th July 2016 at 13:19.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 19:15   #182
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Cadillacs in India

Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
Here's something for the experts / historians. A friend of a friend owns this cadillac / Lasalle in Italy. The current owner is interested in finding out more about the cars Indian history - in the words of the owner:

"La Salle 1930. Welcome if you you want to see this beauty with your own eyes, We are looking for her early Indian history. who ordered her? She, as ships in English, not it, she as in" la machina".Cadillac, La Salle belong together as brands.Our La Salle 340 Fleetwood Roadster is a right hand drive.

I ordered the built sheet from the GM archives, it was shipped from the Cadillac / La Salle factory to Bombay India.
In 1957 the car came to GB, has been in Europe since.
On the old English log book, it states, imported from Pakistan/ India.
Curious wording as late as 1957, isn t it?
So far writing to the last GB owner, the GB Cadillac Club etc produced kind replies, but no news on the Indian history.
Another point struck me, on the built sheet I saw the car was ordered with a leather interior. Which might exclude a Hindu buyer, would you agree?
Fabric was an order option.Bombay was the port of entry, after that we know nothing.

Writing twice to vccci the Indian classic car club, also asking them if we may post a photo on their Facebook page, as guests, non members , produced no answer.

Why do we want her history?
A lot has to do with our enthusiasm for this beautiful car, certainly a complete history is a nice asset to have."

I am attaching images of the car as well as copies of all other available documents including the Build Sheet. The car is currently in Italy and as can be seen from the pictures, an absolute beauty!

Attachment 1534661

Attachment 1534662

Attachment 1534663

Attachment 1534664

Attachment 1534665

Attachment 1534666

Attachment 1534667

Any information will be much appreciated....Thanks

Why not write to the Pakistan Vintage Car Association. It could be from the states there. It might have never ever touched The Indian Soil

Last edited by kasli : 29th July 2016 at 19:17.
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 10:24   #183

Heres an update, I informed the owners of the LaSalle about this site and asked them to check back on this thread. They have been following up on the leads and heres what they have found so far...

"The only former UK owner, I had contacted, by old- fashioned letter, was the Mr. Hoare mentioned in the blog. Just because of the many decades which have passed, he was the “ youngest” one. Surprisingly I received a friendly reply, of a gentleman, whose son now owns the cottage, ex -Hoare ( with a six car garage) . The man writing, is also a pre WWII cars collector, wrote that Mr. Hoare passed away 10 years ago, he had seen some of Mr. Hoares`cars, but not the La Salle.

This morning I wrote to the Beaulieu Museum Archive, following the precious lead in the blog. Surprisingly they answered within hours. The only record they had, is an article of the Oct. 1963 Issue of Veteran and Vintage magazine, describing the Rally, and mentioning briefly the La Salle, driven by Mr. Hoare. It is not the same wording, as in the blog, nor mentions the awesome blue."

They are still very interested in finding out more about the cars Indian/Pakistani history. Please keep the leads coming.....Thank you all!
Ragtop is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 18:56   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this 1968 Cadillac Deville Convertible at the Pune Racecourse last sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Cadillacs in India-img_3183.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3185.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3187.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3189.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3190.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3191.jpg  

Cadillacs in India-img_3193.jpg  

//M is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote