Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 20:20   #31
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

The auto colour library is a great resource and if they have a shade approximated to in modern tints they will mix and spray a card for you as its not possible to import paints into India.

Getting colours right is a major major effort but well worth it when you go to the greatest of detail in ensuring the colour you mix matches the original shade. It's a nightmare when you try to develop shades by matching it with the eye. Much easier when you have the hard work done by an expert somewhere else and you have a formula to work with and ideally a sample card which you can then scan.

Getting paint shades right is such hard work, but so important. Patience and a willingness to keep trying till you have it right is the key.

I couldn't agree with you more! After spending so much time, effort and cost and then to end up with a paint colour that isn't correct is such a disappointment. I see so many cars that miss the mark not having the right colours.

What is the costs and time frame to have auto colour mix and spray a colour card?
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 21:21   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
What is the costs and time frame to have auto colour mix and spray a colour card?
They charged me USD 150 for sprayed cards for three shades I needed. A couple of weeks max I would say through USPS. Courier would be faster.

While USD 50 for each shade may sound high for just the card the value of getting the shade right is invaluable. I fully agree that many a car gets spoilt when the colour is not right.

Last edited by DKG : 7th March 2013 at 21:23.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 10:30   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
....After spending so much time, effort and cost and then to end up with a paint colour that isn't correct is such a disappointment. I see so many cars that miss the mark not having the right colours. ..........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
............. may sound high for just the card the value of getting the shade right is invaluable. I fully agree that many a car gets spoilt when the colour is not right.
I am a little puzzled here.
Many will agree that paints in themselves were not consistent, so what is a correct colour? My guess is that if you line up todays BEST busses you may get a shade variation, though I have not bothered And how does a car get spoilt if shade is not 100% spot on, who is the wiser? Such blemishes are difficult to spot and what is not known does not hurt. Of course the restorer may feel a little unhappy within, but that does not rise to disappointment in a car or it getting spoilt.
Do it once, do it right as Kanter of Packard parts fame said, but if you slip, not many will notice but your conscience may bite you.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:53   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am a little puzzled here.
Many will agree that paints in themselves were not consistent, so what is a correct colour?
Harit lets say you wish to restore your 36 Packard which still has its original paint albeit faded. Now if you can have a panel scanned and have a formula in modern tints developed to give you a close match to what is already there on the car what's so confusing about it? Why should you worry about how other 36 Packards in turquoise may have looked when you have a reference in your own car's original colour?
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 12:17   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit lets say you wish to restore your 36 Packard which still has its original paint albeit faded. Now if you can have a panel scanned and have a formula in modern tints developed to give you a close match to what is already there on the car what's so confusing about it? Why should you worry about how other 36 Packards in turquoise may have looked when you have a reference in your own car's original colour?
I have left your paragraph in its entirety and underlined the relevant words.

My understanding is that we agree, basically and in principle.
My Dodge Custom Royal was painted in the original scheme, a very close match. Maybe we slightly disagree on the degree of accuracy sought. The 36 Packard will follow suit in an as original colour scheme as possible. Maybe I won't fetch pieces of metals from USA. This way the degree of accuracy may differ.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 8th March 2013 at 12:20.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 12:57   #36
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am a little puzzled here.
Many will agree that paints in themselves were not consistent, so what is a correct colour? My guess is that if you line up todays BEST busses you may get a shade variation, though I have not bothered And how does a car get spoilt if shade is not 100% spot on, who is the wiser? Such blemishes are difficult to spot and what is not known does not hurt. Of course the restorer may feel a little unhappy within, but that does not rise to disappointment in a car or it getting spoilt.
Do it once, do it right as Kanter of Packard parts fame said, but if you slip, not many will notice but your conscience may bite you.

Cheers harit
The first criteria is to know what were the Standard Colours offered for a particular Make, Model and Year. Many models had two tone paint options and in some cases with pin strips of another colour. I'm more familiar with the American Cars of the 20's, 30's where this was very prevalent.

I've been trying to find the standard colours offered on the Fiats for the 50s & 60's and are just beginning to document what were the colours offered and then the next step is to find the actual paint colour sample, or as close as possible.

Once found, the next step is to find the current paint colour reference number
from the major Paint Manufactures here in India. I realize that there will always be a slight shade difference but at least the colour will be close to the original as possible.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 13:18   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 496
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

i matched the colour of my karmann ghia from a very accurate scale model.... let them do the research and come up with the correct shade :-)
awini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 14:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
i matched the colour of my karmann ghia from a very accurate scale model.... let them do the research and come up with the correct shade :-)

And sometimes, but really sometimes, another colour shade did actually look better. Again, who said that all original colours were good? Original for sure, though!

Like everything, it is each ones choice to keep original, or change the colour. If you keep original, then you may like to keep documentary evidence of it, photo of scraped portion, registration document, etc. Even after putting a so called "better" shade, the results can still turn out disappointing. Confused?

Please remember, if you change the colour of your car, better talk to your RTO first.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 14:44   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

First of all a Big thank you to John uncle for posting the fiat shade cards, I got what I was looking for Medium Blue . Which came on International fiats and was not original on my Fiat (surf blue was the original paint). I can do or live with the unoriginal shade.

Secondly what I found that in Glasurit website (if your car came painted with one) you can get an exact match if you have the paint code number or name. You can also do a blind search and can then narrow down to paint final few test patch.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:19   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And sometimes, but really sometimes, another colour shade did actually look better. Again, who said that all original colours were good? Original for sure, though!
I was in a quandry when painting the Landmaster, couldn't find any reference to original shades, or any traces of original paint on the car. So I painted it black Usually one can't go wrong with black, whatever the car. Flaws show up more easily though.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Now lets take this important thread further.
We had metallic acrylic paint by DUCO which was extremely difficult to touch up. Later metallic shades did improve, but they also faded.
Recently I read an article about the possibility of ordering paints which are faded to what your original paint would have faded to, to make a near perfecr match.
I also saw a Lagonda or Alvis being painted, and the effect was so real in that the paint did not look fresh at all. It continued to have the patina.
Unbelievably, that is a very highly skilled art and profession.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:39   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Now lets take this important thread further.
We had metallic acrylic paint by DUCO which was extremely difficult to touch up. Later metallic shades did improve, but they also faded.
Recently I read an article about the possibility of ordering paints which are faded to what your original paint would have faded to, to make a near perfecr match.
I also saw a Lagonda or Alvis being painted, and the effect was so real in that the paint did not look fresh at all. It continued to have the patina.
Unbelievably, that is a very highly skilled art and profession.

Cheers harit
Wow now that's fascinating ! Any pictures or references on the net? This really would be a restorer's dream to come up with a age reflective paint shade. Any possibility of sharing some pictures of the car you saw?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 17:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow now that's fascinating ! Any pictures or references on the net? This really would be a restorer's dream to come up with a age reflective paint shade. Any possibility of sharing some pictures of the car you saw?
Will definitely search for this, it was in a German magazine.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 20:58   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

DKG, this art of weathering is very common with military modellers and car modellers only difference is the scale 1:24 or 1:35. There are many guys that achieve the look and patina quite convincingly in a fresh scale model build.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 23:39   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
DKG, this art of weathering is very common with military modellers and car modellers only difference is the scale 1:24 or 1:35. There are many guys that achieve the look and patina quite convincingly in a fresh scale model build.
Thanks, will try to research that lead. If you are aware of articles or websites that address this aspect of painting please do let me know as I am interested
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Colours in India and what their makers call them! noopster The Indian Car Scene 74 30th November 2011 10:48
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's. 0333 4x4 Vehicles 33 5th March 2009 11:15
Racing Car Colours By Country moralfibre Int'l Motorsport 4 26th May 2008 09:43
Original 1955 BSA | Has won many vintage trophies Gordon Post-War 3 22nd February 2008 23:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks