Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 6th June 2010, 23:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
I think the RTO will be having all the old records of all cars registered with them, unless it has been lost due to any calamiity
Here in AP, they usually dont preserve records more than 20 years old, from my experience, unless maybe the papers are currently updated. I had a problem getting the fitness/transfer done on my Pennant last year as the concerned RTO claimed they didnt have any records with them the day we went for the transfer!

But because I had the old RC and documents, I could still have them re-enter the records and get the fitness/transfer done through the agent. But of course, a little Vitamin M was needed in this case!

Same is the case even TN RTOs I'm told- they dont preserve records more than 20 years old!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 07:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here in AP, they usually dont preserve records more than 20 years old, from my experience, unless maybe the papers are currently updated. I had a problem getting the fitness/transfer done on my Pennant last year as the concerned RTO claimed they didnt have any records with them the day we went for the transfer!

But because I had the old RC and documents, I could still have them re-enter the records and get the fitness/transfer done through the agent. But of course, a little Vitamin M was needed in this case!

Same is the case even TN RTOs I'm told- they dont preserve records more than 20 years old!

I dont think it can be so,because as per rules the government has to preserve most office records for a period of 30 years .before destroying them

ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 08:27   #48
BHPian

Default Good Information

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. I have been a classic vehicles enthusiastic for a log time and now i am in a position where i can realise my dream. My foremost concern has always been the legal/documentation part of it. And this thread has been very helpful in throwing light on the situation, which is frankly, not very encouraging. I am planning to buy couple of classic 2 wheelers this year to start with, preferably vijay/lambretta scooters. And i request the experts here to guide me on what are the things to look for other than vehicle condition. As expected most of the old vehicles will have expired/missing papers. As far as possible i want to drive my vehicles will all legal papers.
Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this question.
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 03:39   #49
BHPian

Default Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

I managed to get my hands on a 57 Matchless 350cc bike. The bike is in Pune, but registered at Nagpur. The present owner in Pune has the RC and tax papers only. It is not in his name so he cant transfer it to my name. The bike was registered up to 2003. Its going cheap. Is it worth a buy? How do u keep it legally running on the road???

Last edited by Leepower : 18th July 2014 at 03:43.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 12:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I managed to get my hands on a 57 Matchless 350cc bike. The bike is in Pune, but registered at Nagpur. The present owner in Pune has the RC and tax papers only. It is not in his name so he cant transfer it to my name. The bike was registered up to 2003. Its going cheap. Is it worth a buy? How do u keep it legally running on the road???
The important thing is that the RC book is present. Which means it can be transfereed, provided the registered owner provides you his signatures on the transfer forms. I think they are forms 28, 29 and 30 including an NOC from Nagpur RTO. Before the transfer can be completed the paper work will need to be updated, i.e. one time tax (OTT), green tax, fitness, insurance and PUC.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31   #51
BHPian

Yes sir RC is there. But what if that owner does sign on Form 29, 30. That's my only apprehension. It is not going to be used daily.

Last edited by Leepower : 18th July 2014 at 12:32.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 12:39   #52
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Yes sir RC is there. But what if that owner does sign on Form 29, 30. That's my only apprehension. It is not going to be used daily.
To comply with legalities, you HAVE to have the registered owner's signature. There is no other option assuming you want to have all paperwork in order.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote