Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 21:23   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
82rawath, Can you find out about this? I see him riding around on his bikes, but that s the only time I would be able to ask him.
regards
Hi deutscheafrikar

Unfortunately i dont know anything else beyond this, i went asking about this to many bike buffs here but no certain reply

Last edited by 82rawath : 11th May 2010 at 21:26.
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 10:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
Hi deutscheafrikar

Unfortunately i dont know anything else beyond this, i went asking about this to many bike buffs here but no certain reply
To the best of my knowledge, R12 from Tardeo has not been sold on, it is not yet complete. Now he is abroad, in June can recheck. But under no circumstances can this bike be riden as yet, some parts have been sourced, some yet to come. That much I definitely know!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:06   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
To the best of my knowledge, R12 from Tardeo has not been sold on, it is not yet complete. Now he is abroad, in June can recheck. But under no circumstances can this bike be riden as yet, some parts have been sourced, some yet to come. That much I definitely know!harit
Who is abroad atm? Mr. Tailor? I always thought it was a complete bike. I remember he put pistons & rings. The previous owners used to ride it around tardeo years ago. Had the brake pedal extended forward, to be used with the foot more than the heel. Did you know him?
I have seen another similar bike like this in the eastern suburbs a few years ago. But it was incomplete. There was a huge cabinet over it. The owner let me photograph it too. I have the photos someplace if you want to view it. Wonder if he still has the bike.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th May 2010 at 11:07.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Who is abroad atm? Mr. Tailor? I always thought it was a complete bike. I remember he put pistons & rings. The previous owners used to ride it around tardeo years ago. Had the brake pedal extended forward, to be used with the foot more than the heel. Did you know him?
I have seen another similar bike like this in the eastern suburbs a few years ago. But it was incomplete. There was a huge cabinet over it. The owner let me photograph it too. I have the photos someplace if you want to view it. Wonder if he still has the bike.
regards
Yes, Mr. Tailor. Bike was stripped down, being rebuilt.
Eastern suburb where, Kurla? That is now with me. All missing mechanical parts have been procured.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 18:20   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yes, Mr. Tailor. Bike was stripped down, being rebuilt. Eastern suburb where, Kurla? That is now with me. All missing mechanical parts have been procured. Cheers harit
Okay I thought he had finished the engine work. I had a look at the pistons that he used, they had a sligh dome instead of the flat original. Chotu was doing the work.
I was confused . I thought you had bought the other R12. This one had a bad chrankshaft. Did you manage to get another or did you get this fixed with new crank pins and rollers here in India? I have a friend who has a similar bike and he needs to get his con rods repaired hence the query.

There was one more such bike in Sion area. But that was a long time ago.
regards
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 17:16   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
To the best of my knowledge, R12 from Tardeo has not been sold on, it is not yet complete. Now he is abroad, in June can recheck. But under no circumstances can this bike be riden as yet, some parts have been sourced, some yet to come. That much I definitely know!
Cheers harit
As usual you're right. I forgot to mention I had a chat with Mr. Tailor the other day. He's in the US at the moment. And his bmw is being restored.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 11:48   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

what wd be the value / price of a R26? fair condition, runner.
Rex RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:19   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex RAP View Post
what wd be the value / price of a R26? fair condition, runner.
Between 80k and 150k? It depends more on what the owner is asking. Sometines it's a fair price sometimes it's the moon and stars.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Bmw

A 750 cc sidevalve from Bombay in the early eighties.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw-2.jpg  


Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 10th June 2010 at 17:54.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 18:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
A 750 cc sidevalve from Bombay in the early eighties.
Hi! Are you sure that this is a BMW? I somehow keep thinking that this is a Zuendapp. And maybe 600CC. Please let us have the story, where, when, how. Lovely photo though!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 21:09   #41
Newbie
 
norton4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 6
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi! Are you sure that this is a BMW? I somehow keep thinking that this is a Zuendapp. And maybe 600CC.
It's definitely a BMW R12 750cc Side valve military model (as it lacks the fancy art deco front fenders like that on the civilian model). I have the same model bike here in the US without the side car. The 600cc Zundapp model KS600 would have had girders instead of telescopic front suspension and a different looking engine block (I have one without the frame in India). The KS750 Zundapp did have telescopic front suspension like the R12 but it is more similar in design to to the BMW R75 than the R12.
I love these old steel pressed frame BMW's, very nice looking bikes.
norton4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 22:29   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton4ever View Post
It's definitely a BMW R12 750cc Side valve military model (as it lacks the fancy art deco front fenders like that on the civilian model). I have the same model bike here in the US without the side car. The 600cc Zundapp model KS600 would have had girders instead of telescopic front suspension and a different looking engine block (I have one without the frame in India). The KS750 Zundapp did have telescopic front suspension like the R12 but it is more similar in design to to the BMW R75 than the R12.
I love these old steel pressed frame BMW's, very nice looking bikes.
Oops, now it was my turn to goof up. Deutscheafrikar certainly knows his R12. It is that my R12 is dismantled, have never seen her assembled, and saw the others a while ago. Sorry!
As mentioned earlier, in the 1980's there was a BMW with sidecar lying in chor bazar, maybe a similar or even the same machine. It was MRC registered, do not remember the numbers. I believe that one such bike went to Australia, told to me by Deutscheafrikar himself. I have also not seen my KS600 since a very long while, felt that there was a close resemblance.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th June 2010 at 22:33.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 17:16   #43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

These are gorgeous. Thanks.

I live in Bombay, I wonder where I could go and see these in person (or maybe even own one, someday)?
Pratish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 23:32   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

@Pratish, quite difficult to get one to own. I should know, I have been scouting the market (with 100k in wallet) but with no results. One R26 came up a few months ago, but quoted at 200k, which at that time I thought was too steep.
Rex RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 12:18   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex RAP View Post
@Pratish, quite difficult to get one to own. I should know, I have been scouting the market (with 100k in wallet) but with no results. .
Rex 100 K wont work out. I can still remember some 5 years ago a collector bought a 70 year old BMW with missing cylinders, cyl heads, pistons, valves, mag/dynamo, silencers etc... There was more parts missing than with the bike. And he paid more than that.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Motorcycles in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 323 30th November 2017 11:44
Need some Advice on Restoring Classic Motorcycles (BSA, AJS etc) Pune_Bike Vintage Cars & Classics in India 27 6th July 2016 16:34
BMW India to sell Motorcycles from December 2010 GTO Superbikes & Imports 101 28th January 2016 13:37
Classic Motorcycles @ India Bike Week, 2014 parrys Vintage Cars & Classics in India 3 23rd January 2014 14:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks