Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2011, 00:25   #241
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,475 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Bhaijaan, that was a bit tooooo much

Some more pics on the chassis.

As on today evening, the work on the Chassis is DONE.........!
Pavan why are you guys doing that silver paint touch ups? Was that the way the car came out originally?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 14:51   #242
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pavan why are you guys doing that silver paint touch ups? Was that the way the car came out originally?


OK Jaggu, i will tell you why.

The silver painted parts are the body mounting points on the chassis, which has a Nut welded onto the Chassis.

Since we have built a new Floor on the body shell, during putting it back together, we would like the points to be highlighted. End result all the bolts are put in after joining the chassis and body. Its only for my reference, and aesthetically it looks good tooo.

Next 4 days we are working on the body shell, by the end of this week, the underbody of the shell too will be completed, and we move towards working on the body surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2387.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2388.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2389.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 12:35   #243
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Work on the front end started yesterday, and is in its final stages right now.

Tomorrow, the side doors and the rear will be tinkered.

So much for re-doing the car all over again. I am not too happy about the second set of expenses, but its become inevitable after the first tinker abandoned the car mid-way.

But all in all, the work is in full swing and in the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2394.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2395.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 13:14   #244
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Work on the front end started yesterday, and is in its final stages right now.

Tomorrow, the side doors and the rear will be tinkered.

So much for re-doing the car all over again. I am not too happy about the second set of expenses, but its become inevitable after the first tinker abandoned the car mid-way.

But all in all, the work is in full swing and in the right direction.
I'm sure you wouldn't want to answer this..

So in such a case who pays for the second set of expenses? owner or restorer?

Anyways... someone will... Good going though!
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:20   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Work on the front end started yesterday, and is in its final stages right now.
Wow, your current tinker is churning out some nice results. Well worth the second round of tinkering. Joy will be more joyous.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:26   #246
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post

So in such a case who pays for the second set of expenses? owner or restorer?
As I know in this restoration, Joy(Owner of FIAT) is a close friend of PAVAN. Joy is aware of the entire restoration process. So I am sure its a collective decision. BTW, Joy's favorite car is this FIAT and I'm sure there won't be any compromise!
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:40   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
As I know in this restoration, Joy(Owner of FIAT) is a close friend of PAVAN. Joy is aware of the entire restoration process. So I am sure its a collective decision. BTW, Joy's favorite car is this FIAT and I'm sure there won't be any compromise!
My question was quite a general one and not specific to this restoration. I am aware that the owner is a good friend of Pavans, as was brought to our notice from the first post of this thread onwards, and am sure it is a collective decision to redo the tinkering since the first one abandoned the project.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 19:30   #248
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
I'm sure you wouldn't want to answer this..

So in such a case who pays for the second set of expenses? owner or restorer?

Anyways... someone will... Good going though!My question was quite a general one and not specific to this restoration. I am aware that the owner is a good friend of Pavans, as was brought to our notice from the first post of this thread onwards, and am sure it is a collective decision to redo the tinkering since the first one abandoned the project.
Sir, all the cars that i restore are only for my relatives and friends, with common vested interests. Any restorations i do is COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT and no loopholes.

Few mistakes that i do, i very well make sure that i pay up for it, but certain things which are in-eviatable, friends understand and we go along the wave.



Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow, your current tinker is churning out some nice results. Well worth the second round of tinkering. Joy will be more joyous.
So far so good Manish

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
As I know in this restoration, Joy(Owner of FIAT) is a close friend of PAVAN. Joy is aware of the entire restoration process. So I am sure its a collective decision. BTW, Joy's favorite car is this FIAT and I'm sure there won't be any compromise!


Thank you for providing the perfect clarification

AAAALL IZZZ WELLL.................
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 20:54   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

WOW ...you have another fastback sitting there with you now !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 23:21   #250
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
WOW ...you have another fastback sitting there with you now !

Yes Wasif Bhai....

There are 3 Fastbacks in Karnataka,

1 is restored recently.

2nd one is here with me for restoration.

3rd one is parked and ready for restoration in the second half of this year

Sorry for going

Coming back to the car.

The body shell work is in full swing right now, it is another 15 days time for it to come together and get the complete car ready for Paint.

From tomorrow, i am getting the fittings on the chassis like , Steering column, gearbox, Master cylinder, Brake pipes, Brake hose, diff shaft and other small fittings cleaned and painted.

Looks like mechanicals are more on the chassis than on the Body shell... phew........ This is a big task ahead for me.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 05:22   #251
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sir, all the cars that i restore are only for my relatives and friends, with common vested interests. Any restorations i do is COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT and no loopholes.
Few mistakes that i do, i very well make sure that i pay up for it, but certain things which are in-eviatable, friends understand and we go along the wave.
Thank you for providing the perfect clarification
AAAALL IZZZ WELLL.................
Dear Pavan,
As i said earlier, and i repeat, this was not a specific question for you to answer, but a general one. You may be the only friend that helps out other relatives and friends to restore cars, but there are many others out in the world who restore cars for owners for a fixed sum of money or as the restoration progresses and my question was as to how does it work if a tinker runs away like he did in your case.
Anyways, i have really no interest in creating a huge long set of posts to clarify this or ask you or anyone else for clarification. You could ask the mods to delete my post earlier and the ones that follow so as to not digress from this beautiful restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
There are 3 Fastbacks in Karnataka,
1 is restored recently.
2nd one is here with me for restoration.
3rd one is parked and ready for restoration in the second half of this year

Sorry for going .
Would it be possible to see some pics of the 2nd and 3rd? Or only when you start restorations?

Back to this Topolino... and its chassis being weak due to the steel being really thin after the vast corrosion etc.. would it not have been possible to re-fabricate a new chassis with new steel, or would that be an engineering nightmare? I am sure it could be done with resources (Money of course, as well as a couple of mech enggrs with a bit of CADCAM, and a good professional workshop.)

When i say professional workshop, i mean a place where good TIG or MIG welding is carried out, perfect engineering practices with regards to heat stresses and therefore bending moments, angles at which welds are done etc etc are kept in mind.

These are only suggestions Sir, and as many have pointed out before there are very few of you who undertake such restorations and therefore my 2 bits of knowledge as i deal with steel corrosion at sea on a daily basis and i have some knowledge about dealing with it.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 11:49   #252
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Dear Pavan,
As i said earlier, and i repeat, this was not a specific question for you to answer, but a general one. You may be the only friend that helps out other relatives and friends to restore cars, but there are many others out in the world who restore cars for owners for a fixed sum of money or as the restoration progresses and my question was as to how does it work if a tinker runs away like he did in your case.
Anyways, i have really no interest in creating a huge long set of posts to clarify this or ask you or anyone else for clarification. You could ask the mods to delete my post earlier and the ones that follow so as to not digress from this beautiful restoration.



Would it be possible to see some pics of the 2nd and 3rd? Or only when you start restorations?


These are only suggestions Sir, and as many have pointed out before there are very few of you who undertake such restorations and therefore my 2 bits of knowledge as i deal with steel corrosion at sea on a daily basis and i have some knowledge about dealing with it.
Nothing offensive about your query, aaall izzz well.

Will post the pics of other Fastback soon, let me finish the First one first.

About the Topolino. I dont see any change in the Chassis guage, i feel its got better right now.

The underbody work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2414.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2415.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 00:30   #253
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Finally the underbody is DONE

What is left right now is the inside of the fender and the wheel well.

Those will be done in the next 24 hours.

I am at one confusing stage right now, and its either make or break situation.

Not able to find the right approach from now on

Hope my instincts guide me right.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2418.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2419.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2420.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2422.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2424.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:21   #254
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

After a hectic first half month at work, i took time out today.

Progress is brisk and in the right direction. The front end of the car is complete. We are waiting for the complete door hardware, dashboard unit, and dickey lock assembly.

Once they arrive, its all left to the painter.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2446.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2438.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2448.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2458.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_2457.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:44   #255
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 82
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Do I see a white Beetle peeking out in one of the pics ?
And as usual - AWESOME WORK
ruthvikmagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible PAVAN KADAM Post-War 113 10th June 2016 09:49
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats GTO Pre-War 101 31st October 2015 05:00
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED PAVAN KADAM Post-War 117 15th March 2013 13:58
New SuperSmall FIAT TOPOLINO Cyrus43 The International Automotive Scene 13 26th July 2008 01:23
1936 Fiat 500 A Topolino nevertouchme Pre-War 9 9th July 2007 15:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks