Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st July 2013, 02:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'hope this is the right thread to post these...some old images of Hyderabad found on "Old Indian Photos". Can anyone identify the cars? The second one on the right in the 2nd pic. appears to be a Ford Model T? Also I suspect the single one in the 1st pic. is a taxi, going by the side-stripe?
Great pictures Stanher. Thanks

The car in the first picture is probably not a taxi (notice the cobra horn above the right fender). The side stripe at the belt line was a fairly common feature. Many had sham canework (paint).

Below is a Royal car with the same stripe, recently posted in the Nostalgic Thread.

Name:  Panna Poona Buick.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  230.0 KB

Last edited by travancore : 21st July 2013 at 02:19.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 14:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more Hyderabadi pics. from 1948 during the "Police Action" Anyone who could identify the bikes? The silver ones appear to be Nortons/Triumhps?

Note the speed of the Army Truck mentioned in MPH those days!

Any idea what car is the one on the right folloeing the tank? Photographer seems to have been perched on the running board.

The overturned truck's a Chevy, had uploaded other pics. of it before in another thread. What about the car on the left of the pic.? Ford? Chevy? And the Army truck?

Also in the pic. of the 2 cars by the Charminar (last pic.), any idea about the first one? The one following is an Olds.

Source: http://www.merepix.com/2013/03/opera...48-photos.html
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:55   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also in the pic. of the 2 cars by the Charminar (last pic.), any idea about the first one? The one following is an Olds.
That is a Humber (Super Snipe?) I believe the Nizam had a few, one is with the Army in Hyderabad.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:12   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That is a Humber (Super Snipe?) I believe the Nizam had a few, one is with the Army in Hyderabad.
Wow! I did know about the Army Humber (had appeared in one of the rallies here), but didnt know the same car was owned by the Nizam earlier!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:12   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more Hyderabadi pics. from 1948 during the "Police Action" .................................................. .................. Any idea what car is the one on the right folloeing the tank? ......... What about the car on the left of the pic.? Ford? Chevy? And the Army truck?
.... any idea about the first one? The one following is an Olds. Source: http://www.merepix.com/2013/03/opera...48-photos.html
I would not describe this as a traffic scene, after all its an invasion or unfriendly intrusion. Police action was done with help of army.
The car following the tank with the photographer on the running board is very likely the same car seen on the left, a Ford either B or a V-8. The view from the running board seems to show a water canister lying between the mudguard and bonnet.
The car in the last picture is ofcourse a Humber. Nizam had quite a few of these.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:24   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! I did know about the Army Humber (had appeared in one of the rallies here), but didnt know the same car was owned by the Nizam earlier!
May or maynot have been owned by the Nizam, I'm not sure.

One of the larger Nizam humbers is now in Bangalore, earlier black, now light blue. APX registered. I think the army car is smaller.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Hi,

Got this picture (framed) in my office yesterday. Doesn't have any signatures / inscriptions on the main picture. While I know where this image is (Marine Drive, Mumbai), I'd like to know if anyone can share more details about it.

Seems to be a good collection of Bombay's finest back in the days. Ahhh.. Happy days

Cheers.
This is a 1940's photograph of marine drive. The original is with Philips antiques at Fort. They sell reprints of it for around Rs.2000 each. I have several of them in my office.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:09   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a traffic scene, but a small parking lot probably in Andheri, Bombay. Found this lovely picture on FB. Right to left a Sunbeam, two Fiats and in the porch a Dodge Kingsway parked.

Name:  998400_10151782476290135_572605782_n.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  48.8 KB
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:55   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Not a traffic scene, but a small parking lot probably in Andheri, Bombay. ................
This is the original Gold Spot - Thumbs-Up factory in Andheri East just touvhing the highway, opp to where you would turn towards Andheri West Lokhandwala etc. Today its the Bisleri factory.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:42   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Not a traffic scene, but a small parking lot probably in Andheri, Bombay. Found this lovely picture on FB. Right to left a Sunbeam, two Fiats and in the porch a Dodge Kingsway parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is the original Gold Spot - Thumbs-Up factory in Andheri East just touvhing the highway, opp to where you would turn towards Andheri West Lokhandwala etc. Today its the Bisleri factory.

Cheers harit
Yep right you are Haritji. Thanks for that pic Anjan, for me it's a wink from above. It brings back memories for me. My dad used to work here and I've spent many a thursday (being the weekly school holiday) here. The Chauhans had a Dodge polara or was it two. And I remember a Russian Tactor which had a single cyl diesel engine. This could do many a thing. This had a steel framed wooden seat. I had this seat with me until the 90's and then gave it to a friend who took it to Kuala Lumpur. I still have some Gold Spot stuff though.
Harit Back in the 70's they had such clean loos in the Gold Spot factory that even flushed automatically.

Looking at the older fiat there was a person I think his name was S.C Mirza who had a car like that. His car used to be kept with my dad now and then and he's park this fiat in our bldg compound and his own Morris outside. It would be too much of a coincidence to be the same car though

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd July 2013 at 13:46.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 09:31   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea what car is the one on the right folloeing the tank? Photographer seems to have been perched on the running board.

The overturned truck's a Chevy, had uploaded other pics. of it before in another thread. What about the car on the left of the pic.? Ford? Chevy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The car following the tank with the photographer on the running board is very likely the same car seen on the left, a Ford either B or a V-8. The view from the running board seems to show a water canister lying between the mudguard and bonnet.
Indeed a Ford Tourer - comparison pics with the Nizam car, just for fun. You never know.

Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 23:31   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Indeed a Ford Tourer - comparison pics with the Nizam car, just for fun. You never know.
'doubt it couldve been the Nizam's car though, as the car and the tanks were part of the Hyderabad Liberation in 1948, in which the Nizam wouldve never participated!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:48   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Found these three pictures on FB. Cars/s are seen in all three pictures but only partly. The films show the scenario near the cinema hall exhibiting films :

Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-nagma.jpg

(1) Naghma (1953)

Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-uran-khatola.jpg

(2) Uran Khatola (1955)

Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-mughaleazam.jpg

(3) Mughal E Azam (1960)

The cinema hall appears to be the same (?). There is not much developmental activity in the neighbourhood during 1953-55, but by 1960 (Mughal E Azam) some structures have come up behind the cinema hall.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd August 2013 at 20:53.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:50   #104
BHPian

Chennai traffic pics .. from The Hindu Archives.
Year and place are in the jpg file name itself.
Attached Images

Last edited by WindRide : 31st August 2013 at 15:52.
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 14:22   #105
BHPian

Madras.. continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-higginbothamsmadras.jpg  

Images of Traffic Scenes From Yesteryears-madras-egmore-station_1940s.jpg  

Attached Images

WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote