Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2011, 10:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Rest in Peace Mr. Pranlal Bhogilal: Ace Vintage Car Collector

Just received the sad news that Pranlal Bhogilal has passed away last night. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 12th January 2011, 10:27   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Pranlal Bhogilal Collection - Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat

Sad news indeed. Pray God to give his family the strength to withstand this great loss. RIP Sir !
Old 12th January 2011, 10:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pranlal Bhogilal Collection - Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat

Sad to hear this news. RIP.

Hope his collection stands in his memory....May these be a reflection of his soul
Old 12th January 2011, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news...An ICON of Indian Classic Car world is lost forever.

He is the man who made classic car collecting what it is today.

Without his intervention some of the great classics survive today in India.

A grave loss indeed.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sad news there Harit. After seeing the photos in team BHP and then once more on the DVD that Sam sent I wanted so much to visit Kathwada with my Dad. Some how it never happened. But had the pleasure of seeing his cars and him so many times in the vintage rally held years ago. So that's a memory that will be cherished.
Yes sad indeed.
Saudade
Old 12th January 2011, 13:45   #6
BHPian

Pranlal has left us,but the legacy he has left behind will ensure that he is never forgotten by all car lovers.He had a lot of critics and often was surrounded by people who had their own agendas.As someone who knew him for decades at the risk of being lynched I must state that much as he loved cars, and on that there can be no two opinions,I found him to be particularly un helpful whenever approached.He had with him car books and manuals given in his custody in his capacity as the VCCI president ,but when a request was made to refer to any manual, his answer was always negative, and my experience was shared by many others.Now what will happen to the books donated to the VCCI in his custody remains to be seen.I hope they are given back to some office bearers of the VCCI.Vintage car lovers including myself salute the man for saving so many of our cars and pray to give his family strength to bear this tremendous loss.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:57   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:58   #8
BHPian

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with.......excessive.........dots......like....... ..this.......Thanks

So sad to know this. Pray to god , may his soul in Peace

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2011 at 21:12. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with.......excessive.........dots......like.........this.......Thanks
Old 12th January 2011, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to hear about this. Thanks for informing me Harit. A legacy has come to an end. His name will go down in the annals of Vintage Car Collectors. PB was a very shy and reserved person. My dad knew him and i had the good fortune of running into him a few times, mostly in state functions at the Raj Bhavan, be it the flag hoisting ceremony on 15th August or 26th January, when i accompanied my dad. I used to particularly wait till he departed, only to see which car he had bought this time. Almost always it would be a pristine and spanking Rolls or a Bently. He stayed just a stones throw away from the Raj Bhavan.

With a heavy heart i wish his soul rests in Peace. RIP Mr. Bhogilal, you will not be forgotten.

P.S. Buldogji you surely mean the VCCCI (one C is missing)
Old 12th January 2011, 16:42   #10
BHPian

I stand corrected Gogi.VCCCI..Now VCCCI should hold a condolence meeting and do something to perpetuate his memory.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Very saddened to hear the news that Mr Pranlal Bhogilal is no more.In fact he had put India on the world map as one of the largest vintage car collectors.
I am sure his descendants will carry on with his legacy as a tribute to the icon.
It needs guts of steel to have and maintain such a huge collection. Money can't buy everything.I mean the efforts that are needed to keep the cars alive and well needs something more than everyday lessons in management.
We have so many billionaires and among them how many have ventured into vintage and classic car collection?
Thats where Mr Pranlal was different. My tribute to the great soul.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:46   #12
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

One is said to achieve something in ones life if his name lives on after his death. I guess Pranlal Bhogilal's name will always live on through his cars.

RIP
Old 12th January 2011, 22:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is sad news however Mr Bhogilal has ensured that he lives on in the memory of every vintage car enthusiast by opening out his collection to every Indian. I always looked forward to running into him and his beautiful cars on scenic walks in Mahableshwar where he would spend quite a bit of time.

He was also a connoisseur and patron of the arts and boasted a large collection of Indian art including works by my grandfather. He will be missed.
Old 12th January 2011, 23:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know. His legacy will live on since he has kept this excellent collection open, to be viewed by everyone.
Old 13th January 2011, 02:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sas news this. His cars was the first experience I had with vintage classics in the country. I had he good fortune of seeing many of his cars many many years ago as a school kid at a vintage car exhibition held at the Nehru Centre. Most of the cars on display comprised of his possessions. Apart from that, used to see him regularly on Worli Seaface take his walks, most of the time arriving in a beautiful Rolls.

Rest in Peace Sir. May God give your family the strength to bear this loss and may the Bhogilal legacy live on.
Closed Thread