Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th March 2011, 10:43   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011

I am visiting TeamBHP after months and I must say I was pleasantly surprised to see the Nizam's Rolls Royce restored to it's original glory.

I remember when the car was first shown & was quite excited that such an important piece of history had survived. I was also saddened to see the state (and shape ) it was in then.

Of course, there will be as many opinions as people but I for one am glad this car has reverted to it's original specifications & coachwork.

It still represents the Nizam's eccentricities (the canopy/ chattri, the silver details etc). In my opinion (and I do not expect everyone to agree ) an old wrong (strong word, I realise!) has been righted. I think the modifications were hideous & it is enough if they survive as photographic documentation.

Above all, I am glad that the decision to revert came from the original owner's family.

Just my two bits (are we still allowed only two smilies?).

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 29th March 2011 at 11:03.
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:06   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one of the very few articles on the Cartier event before it actually happened. I found this in Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine April 2011 issue. Many other magazines which I read regularly do not even mention this event. Why there are so few pre-event articles in the net or press releases puzzled me.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:12   #123
Team-BHP Support

Note : Karlosdeville's report + pictures have just been added to the previous page of this thread.

LINK TO POST (Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 00:10   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Karl for putting up pictures. Unfortunately I could not be there at the last moment, I had to leave town and before that finish some work.
Wonder why it took so long for someone to put up comprehensive pictures, somehow I get a feeling that there is a real lack of enthusiasm. Not surprising, I had a lot of observations but kept quiet to see others reactions first. In general, the feedback overall is not very encouraging.
But never mind, let me first take the positives.

The singular most important achievement, according to my personal agenda, is the restoration of the Nizam's Ghost. That car is a true Indian hertigae car, deserved to be restored, and so if Cartier sponsored that, so what the heck. We are richer by this. Faults can be found, but the car came up reasonably well, so what if the wheels are a bit smaller. A new correct set would have cost a bomb. I personally feel that the car is not too over restored, afterall the Nizam did buy a grand car.
Only wicked observation put here is that the judges apparently tend to ignore the cars below the waist, this time two cars with improper wheels got a prize, the Rolls and the Lancia Dilambda.

The other positive outcome is that again some owners have been fescilitated with a prize for detailing and research. The 1947 Caddy of Amal Tanna is one case, I believe that the Stutz is another. Saddly we do not get direct feedback from the event about what went on while judging, and for reasons best known to them the organisers do not reveal much of what was found during judging. Maybe that is standard paractice, but here in India lot of people including me need to learn. Since in India we do not have much of detailing culture, this mcould have been most helpful. The clue is to find out which car interested the judges the most, in the last Cartier event it was P.P.Ashar's Healey. The judges spent a lot of time with him, and my car was just behind his. A real humbling experience.
Few will know that this year also such a great detailed car was present, in Amal Tanna and his Caddy. He had done his research, challenged the Caddy club, and in the end triumphed. And to think that this car was invited only in January 2011 to participate. It was not being prepared for the event, restoration started a few years ago and was being carried out thoroughly, by chance got to be ready in time. And won a well deserved prize. Other cars which really presented a top show were the Stutz, SS 2.5 Litre, Jaguars, some of the Rolls's, Caddy, Mercedes, Lambda, maybe some more I need to relook. The E-type Roadster was a deadly looker, maybe just a touch too modern. But a classic never the less. The Packard was nice, but I wonder if she is really a Super 8. And there were quite a few Jaguars, the Maybach needed some tlc, should have been more presentable. I liked that Buick Roadster too. And those post WO Bentleys, all elegant and so regal. Jaiswal cars are wonderful.
I wonder if this is the same Daimler Dart which used to belong to Ruparel in Mumbai, that car was eventually a dismantled to jigsaw puzzle. Nice to see it up and about.
One car which appeared to be over restored and Pebble Beach quality was the Stutz. That car was all bling, and with its chrome wheels looked over restored. I told a friend that if he were to confront Mr. Titus on this, Mr. Titus would show him that this was an option for the highest range of Stutz's. And I do believe that that is the case, he would not make such a stupid mistake.
The feedback I got was that overall this show was pleasing, vast expanse show casing the cars with acres of pasture for each car, but the Bombay event had more flavour in almost all ways.
This time almost all of the prizes were well deserved, Cartier having restored the Rolls could have kept it out of the reconing for a prize, but they did finance the restoration, so be it, and this can be debated till the cows come home. But this is a point which has been noted internationally.

Unfortunately there were a lot of downers for this show which have also been commented on in international media and were totally unecessary.
There were many cars present which should not have been there at all, this event probably has the record of having the largest number of non- conforming cars participating in such a similar prestigious event in the world ever. Pebble Beach did have an Austin 7 once, but that car was gorgeous, better than many dolled up cars present here. More on that later.
I wonder if there will be a third Cartier event in India. If yes, and if they do sponsor a restoration, I would hope that it would be one of the super charger Mercs, or one of the Nizam's remaining cars. All worthy projects.

Cheers harit
Old 30th March 2011, 08:16   #125
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Karl for the wonderful report it was "Cartier Quality". We are fortunate to have such events as we get to see cars which we normally do not have easy access to.

Amal's Caddy is really top notch. The three cars of his displayed in events (other two seen in the Mumbai Rally) are really in top condition. Amal is so polite when one speak to him. Amazing person.

Harit, nice to have you back posting.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 09:08   #126
BHPian

Fabulous pictures Karl, thanks for sharing. I cant get enough of the Nizam's Rolls Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see the Nizam's Rolls Royce restored to it's original glory.
Aditya
As a follow up to my previous post I do think the Stutz should have been preserved instead of restored.

Aditya

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2011 at 14:59. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:36   #127
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Few will know that this year also such a great detailed car was present, in Amal Tanna and his Caddy.
The car that really stood out in the entire lot in terms of detailing and standard of restoration is Mr TT Raghu's SS Jag. In my humble opinion all other cars on the lawn paled in comparison.

As for the Stutz, I do agree they over did it on restoration, but honestly, what a car ! The pedigree and quality of this automobile was so apparent. Just looking at it you could tell it was a very expensive American classic of its times. What a handsome automobile, extremely stylish. A few years down the line as the restoration ages the car will look even more awesome, atleast I feel so.

Last edited by DKG : 30th March 2011 at 10:41.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:16   #128
Senior - BHPian

My favourite top ten picks from thsi years event are as belwo in order of precedence.

1. RR - Nizam]
2. Mercedes Nurberg
3. Stutz
4. Jaguar SS Tourer
5. Lambda
5. Cadillac - Amal T
6. Bentley - 4.25 Black 1939 Jaiswal
7. RR P1 Jodhpur
8. Bentley - 38 Ex Darbhanga
9. Jaguar 2.5 Sedan - Dharmapur
10. Delahaye - Jodhpur,

In my opinion these we the true stars of the show.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:29   #129
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if there will be a third Cartier event in India. If yes, and if they do sponsor a restoration, I would hope that it would be one of the super charger Mercs, or one of the Nizam's remaining cars. All worthy projects.

Cheers harit
How about one of the Napiers ? That would be something!

Aditya
Old 30th March 2011, 11:32   #130
Senior - BHPian

Those are probably the only surviving Napiers in India today. Does anyone know of any more in India?

Moreover as far as I know all these veteran Nizam's cars includign the RR have never been officially road regestered in India. They were off the streets when the Indian Union came into being.

I would love to hear about any other cars still in India that have never been regestered.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:54   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
My favourite top ten picks from thsi years event are as belwo in order of precedence. 1. RR - Nizam] 2. Mercedes Nurberg
3. Stutz 4. Jaguar SS Tourer 5. Lambda 5. Cadillac - Amal T 6. Bentley - 4.25 Black 1939 Jaiswal 7. RR P1 Jodhpur 8. Bentley - 38 Ex Darbhanga
9. Jaguar 2.5 Sedan - Dharmapur 10. Delahaye - Jodhpur, In my opinion these we the true stars of the show.
I almost agree with you, but definitely would put Singhania Rolls (hunting), Jaiswals other Bentleys and even their Rolls before the Dharampur Jag and Caddy. The Caddy is post-war, difficult to include when there are so many good prewar cars. I would not put the Delahaye because it was last events car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
How about one of the Napiers ? That would be something! Aditya
I believe that there is an idea to restore the Nizam's cars. Hopefully they will not be as gody as the Rolls and closer to original. A good idea would be to get atleast one car done locally, see how a Chevy was recently done in Hyderabad itself.

Quote:
Those are probably the only surviving Napiers in India today. Does anyone know of any more in India?
I believe that there is one Napier with Sharad Sanghi, maybe I am wrong but maybe also not.

Cheers harit
Old 30th March 2011, 12:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

The Hunting RR is OK for the preservation class and for novelty value, its a bit run down to be considered a start of the show.

That Black RR P III was also a grand car, very stately proportaions.

AND the Jaiswal Bentleys are ahead of the Dharmapur Jag in my list.

They should have had a vinatge racing class where your Lancia, the Mallya Fiat Racer and his Lagonda could be showcased along with any other remaining racers from the past
Old 30th March 2011, 12:14   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Hunting RR is OK for the preservation class and for novelty value, its a bit run down to be considered a start of the show. That Black RR P III was also a grand car, very stately proportaions.
AND the Jaiswal Bentleys are ahead of the Dharmapur Jag in my list.
They should have had a vinatge racing class where your Lancia, the Mallya Fiat Racer and his Lagonda could be showcased along with any other remaining racers from the past
My Lancia has come once, and basically a car is invited only once, whatever may be the case. Only the Delahaye was there, present as the last events winner. This time Jaguars were showcased, but no Jaguar from the previous event was invited, rightly so.
But, I certainly have some cars which were much more worthy to be transported all the way from Bombay, than those which were actually taken from here. And I would certainly agree that my cars need some sprucing up, but almost all the cars sent from here were spruced up anyway. But more on that later.
I heard that the next Cartier type of event in India will not involve Cartier, if held at all. Let us see how this pans out. Public reaction to this years event was by and large negative.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 30th March 2011 at 12:20.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:21   #134
Senior - BHPian

Maybe by the time the next event comes around you will have teh Dhanrajgir Packard ready to win th best of show !

Also maybe the Star of India ( Rajkote) RR will eb there along with the Praabgarh Lanchester. The Alfa 8C, the BMW 328 and even that Marmon would be great additions

Why does anyone have to wait for cartier to organise a show of thsi caliber.

Why cant any of the clubs or hotels take on the initiative, I am sure the costs are not that huge and their should be no dirth of sponsors to offset the cost.

BTW what other of yoru cars would you have been interested in sending to this show
Old 30th March 2011, 21:11   #135
BHPian

Quote:

I believe that there is one Napier with Sharad Sanghi, maybe I am wrong but maybe also not.

Cheers harit
Haritji,

As far as I remember, my grand dad told me that his father had a Napier too.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote