Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 18th June 2011, 00:15   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Rising Petrol Prices - Opel Astra 1.7 "Diesel" as a second car?

Hey..trust me.The Astra was a great (but not dependable like a Honda/Toyota or Mitsubishi) car in it's time but no way you can depend on it now. You would be better off buying the older Honda City (the 1st gen) and put in the CNG kit or I guess even a Lancer would also do. Both these were reliable Japaneese cars and are easy to maintain even till today. But just don't consider the Astra.
You could be lucky with this car but you can never say when that luck runs out.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 00:22   #32
BHPian

Guys, any pointers about a palio 1.6 2001 GTX with alloys? 50 odd K, second owner, clutch replaced, running on synthetic oil i believe, bald tyres. 3rd party insurance, and probably faded paint. no info about batt, etc. how much is it worth? what are the expenses I have to be prepared for after the purchase? Since this will not be doing a lot of running, anything around 10k/ltr is fine with me. What are the weak links? what is it worth?
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 00:26   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Guys, any pointers about a palio 1.6 2001 GTX with alloys?
Whoa! 10 year old car - that too, a model that is out of production? I don't think it is quite a good idea.

PS : You might want to post this under the "Used Car" thread.
libranof1987 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 07:40   #34
BHPian

GTX is rare breed. I can say it can take lot of abuse, rattle free, trouble free car unless routine oil service is not given. Donot water wash the engine bay. The parts are slightly costlier than maruti but you wont get 100 horses for that price. The realistic mileage is around 8.5 ~ 9.5 kmpl with A/C. I have paid 1.5l for the GTX this year and never regretted it.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 18th June 2011 at 07:42.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 07:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Astra might be an answer as far as rising fuel prices are concerned, but what you save in fuel 'might' be lesser than what you would be spending for spare parts in future. Add to that the inconvenience of waiting for spares every time ! Why not go in for a car like Lancer, which is still being made?
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 09:03   #36
BHPian

Opel represent good value for money at this moment of time. However, opel was known for its low FE as well as having an expensive a.s.s. Spares are expensive and sometimes, you don't find certain spares at all.

Would say from my experience in Coimbatore, you can look at other options like the Lancer 2.0 slxd or even older diesel variants of sedans that have decent resale value.
varunrdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:41   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so after a loooonnnggg time, and thoughts going in circles over and over again... The decision has been made!!... I let go of the Astra, and made a very strange and funny decision actually. Which I guess is much more practical.

My main requirements were:
  • A second car in the family, as one was running too much.
  • A Diesel vehicle for daily runs.
  • Preferably a hatch.
Now.. Guess what I ended up with? A 2000 Model MM540!!..

Well, with this purchase:
  • I get a Diesel vehicle for daily runs. Long Journeys will be still handled by the IKON.
  • I get a second car.
  • The best of all, I get to fulfill, my dream and hobby - The Occasional OTR's.
  • Dad will be selling off the Omni, and hence, we get a much better vehicle for coffee/spice carrying purposes.
What I (or dad) compromised:
  • An easy to drive vehicle was one of the priorities, but this is the exact opposite. But still, dad says he can manage, considering the pro's outdo the cons.
  • Reliability and Comfort.
Well, regarding Reliability and comfort: Even if this vehicle will be a daily ride, it will be used mainly in my home town, and we have enough guys who know the 540 very well, and have manged to make it a reliable daily drive.

Regarding comfort: Well, good seats, Nice AT Tyres, and an AC should do some justice initially. Lateron, will upgrade.

Thank you all for the support and some sensible and knowledgeable opinions..

Mods: Please close this thread, or if it can be beneficial for further Astra buyers and queries, I guess we can keep it open.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote