Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 1st June 2011, 17:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Rising Petrol Prices - Opel Astra 1.7 "Diesel" as a second car?

Guys, one of my collegemates is planning on selling his 2000 model Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel. I have known this car for years, and its an accident free vehicle. Though they are not petrolheads, they religiously change oil at recommended intervals, and also do all the routine maintenance. A year before, the car has had an overheating problem, and was caused due to a clogged radiator/cooling lines. The problem has been eliminated completely and now, the car has NO problems whatsoever.

I have an petrol IKON, and my dad has an OMNI, which is used mainly for agricultural purposes. Dad is getting old (already a senior citizen) and he now prefers cars to van. So my IKON's odo is clicking faster then ever, and my pocket is getting emptier. Moreover, I keep waiting when my dad goes out, and he keeps waiting when I go on long trips.

The thought of a Diesel vehicle had crossed my mind, however, I'm not so interested in selling my IKON. It still serves my purpose quite well. The thing is, I'm considering the Astra Diesel as a second car and mainly intended for dad. His monthly running will be less than 1000kms.

So guys, I need to know whether its wise to buy a 2000 model Opel Astra Diesel as a second car. Will the money I save on Fuel be spent on Maintenance?. What Maintenance should I expect in the coming two years and 24,000kms?(That's when I intend to sell it)

The car has run 90,000 kms and a major service has been done recently with all lubes changed, and a suspension overhaul.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Rising Petrol Prices - Opel Astra 1.7 "Diesel" as a second car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So guys, I need to know whether its wise to buy a 2000 model Opel Astra Diesel as a second car.
How much are you buying it for?

Anything more then 40-50k is a loss.

We had an Opel Astra Diesel in our know. You might find a hen with teeth but you will still be looking for Astra parts.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Instead of a Astra D, you can think of looking for a well maintained Zen D which would be a much better vehicle to own and maintain.

Astra parts for petrol itself are scarce so you can imagine the plight for the diesel version.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You might find a hen with teeth but you will still be looking for Astra parts.

@Dhanush, and when the search for parts starts and you dont fine them, you may find that the price you would pay for the car all a waste. Nothing against that car. It's an Opel. See quite a few of them still running well. But suggest you go for something where the parts are more easily available. May be a Maruti or even a good Indigo (if you want a diesel sedan).

Last edited by condor : 1st June 2011 at 17:44.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So guys, I need to know whether its wise to buy a 2000 model Opel Astra Diesel as a second car. Will the money I save on Fuel be spent on Maintenance?. What Maintenance should I expect in the coming two years and 24,000kms?(That's when I intend to sell it)

The car has run 90,000 kms and a major service has been done recently with all lubes changed, and a suspension overhaul.
I have an Opel Corsa 1.4 so I can comment on the maintenance bit. Well, it costs a bomb!

And considering the vehicle has already run 90,000kms, a lot of parts would be in the process of replacement.

Are you going to use the car in B'lore or back home? Availability of spares could be an issue too.

A 10 year old German car - built-wise is wonderful but maintenance wise sucks a lot of money.

I think you should sit out on this one.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 18:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

opel astra is a great car
pay around 70 k for it and parts are not so hard to find everything is available at a price but remember it was a 8 lakh rs car and spares will be priced accordingly
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 18:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As per me, the odds for this car is:
  • I know this car personally.
  • Market Price. I may get it a much less price than they intend to sell it, though I prefer to pay him decently.
  • I have driven atleast 5k of its life on numerous trips from college, a certain bit of nostalgia associated with it.
  • My friend has done a complete overhaul of this car only recently, and all the problems have been sorted out. It even has new tyres
  • Has all the creature comforts, and all of them 'work'
  • I have never seen or heard this car spending more than 3 days in the workshop. Skillmec, Thrissur, somehow manages to source parts.
  • As of now, and hopefully the next 5-10k kms. Absolutely no work required on the Engine or suspension.
Odds against this car:
  • Opel
  • Service
  • Parts
  • Sedan, and a heavy one.
  • Driveability.
Quote:
Anything more then 40-50k is a loss.
Oh.. cmon man!.. The car would weigh more than that . Considering the ridiculous price of diesel cars I'm looking at a 70-80k. EVERYTHING is working in this car, and no rust whatsoever.

Quote:
You might find a hen with teeth but you will still be looking for Astra parts.
Quote:
Astra parts for petrol itself are scarce so you can imagine the plight for the diesel version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... when the search for parts starts and you dont fine them, you may find that the price you would pay for the car all a waste...
Um.. well, as I mentioned above, the car has never been at the workshop for more than 3 days. It has been serviced at skillmec, Thrissur, and they somehow manage to source parts. They have assured the same to me. Not sure how trustworthy their word is though. Thanks for the inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
..you can think of looking for a well maintained Zen D which would be a much better vehicle to own and maintain.
Again, In Kerala, Zen is priced astronomically, and Zen D?. You could buy a spaceship instead. I was quoted 2.2lacs for a 2002 Zen D. With No Power steering. How bad can it get?
Quote:
May be a Maruti or even a good Indigo (if you want a diesel sedan).
A sedan gets priority only because of its depreciation. Practically, he would prefer a hatch for ease of driving and parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
... a lot of parts would be in the process of replacement...
Now this is what I'm worried about. Any Astra owners that can suggest what all parts would need replacement, service?. And whats the reliability of the machine post 1lac. Clearly, I would not want to spend the money saved on fuel on maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are you going to use the car in B'lore or back home?
Its for my dad, so back home.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

One more thing, Opel cars are guzzlers! So do keep the FE of the car in consideration.

The sheer weight of the car makes it like a tank!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 19:14   #9
BHPian

Dhanush,

The most important thing in buying a second hand car is knowing the history of the car. At the moment you need a car for your dad for next 2 years. If you are in a limited budget, it will be very tough to convince yourself for any other second hand diesel car, Zen-D, Palio-D or whatever, as the history associated with it will always remain uncertain. Generally I don't appreciate such a purchase, but this one does make sense. You know the car very well, it meets your requirement and solves the problem in hand, so go for it.
In case you purchase this car, just make sure it's driven sedately.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 19:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

That astra IIRC had a 1697 cc 68 hp IDI turbodiesel engine with garett turbocharger, right?
In one words, AVOID. For an old school diesel of that time, maybe you should look at the used mitsubishi lancer 2.0D.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 19:29   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has been serviced at skillmec, Thrissur, and they somehow manage to source parts. They have assured the same to me. Not sure how trustworthy their word is though.

A sedan gets priority only because of its depreciation. Practically, he would prefer a hatch for ease of driving and parking.

Its for my dad, so back home.
That is going to be a lot of dependency on the mechanic and you will also be here. So pls do think abt the servicing part. Since it will be used by your dad, it will need to be reliable.

Reg the sedan, good time to cash in on the depreciation

But two questions:
  • Why exactly is your friend selling it now ?
  • What's the market rate there for this car ?
  • Will the Opel be able to survive the roads that your dad will use it on ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
That astra IIRC had a 1697 cc 68 hp IDI turbodiesel engine with garett turbocharger, right?
In one words, AVOID. For an old school diesel of that time, maybe you should look at the used mitsubishi lancer 2.0D.
Point noted. but the thing is, you can get two Opel Astra's for the price of a similar condition, model Lancer.

Quote:
  • Why exactly is your friend selling it now ?
  • What's the market rate there for this car ?
  • Will the Opel be able to survive the roads that your dad will use it on ?
  1. Well, this was his dad's car. They bought a smaller, more maneuverable car for Thrissur - Nissan Micra.
  2. Not sure, as there are only a few cars. But one thing I know is there are hardly any good condition diesel cars for 1 lac rupees. However old it may be. Even an old Esteem with the engine swapped to diesel is rated at 1lac.
  3. Yes, apart from GC, the suspension is rock stable in an Opel. Such is the build quality.
In any case, for agricultural purposes, he uses the Van. This car will be used mainly to go to church on Sundays (6km away), Every Saturday he goes to pay wages to workers(20kms), and to go to Ooty, to my sisters (100km away), and some misallaneous running. Which translates to less than 1000km of running.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Given your requirements and the options (or lack of), the Astra seems the best bet. The only concern being spares - maybe places like G.P.Road (Chennai) would have the stuff. Personally, if going pre-owned, I would anyday go for a known car.

BTW, what's the FE of the Astra you are getting ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Rising Petrol Prices - Opel Astra 1.7 "Diesel" as a second car?

Dont the Opels get serviced at the GM workshops?

If I were to buy this car then I would defintely ensure that the service + parts are not difficult to get. You might spend a meagre amount on buying the car but would spend more than that on the Service.

I feel you should let go this one and try for a Tata/Maruti Diesel cars.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:45   #15
BHPian

My dad had a 1999 astra 1.7D which did service till 1.75 lac kms and was sold in 2008. Post 90K, the major repairs done were:

1. The A/C had some major work at 110K km on the odo.
2. Radiator repair around 130K kms (Costed around Rs 9K IIRC)
3. Clutch plate replacement

We also used to go to Skillmech at Thrissur for servicing. They had spares available at that time. Not sure about now however. The car was sold in 2008 for Rs 1.15 lakhs.

I must say it was a comfortable sedan with a good driving position and solid build quality. But the in city drive-ability, especially in first two gears is a little disappointing.
xander is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote