Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 10:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Punto all the way,

Dont compromise and repent later on buying the Dated, Bland Verito.

Why not a Manza, if you can stretch your budget a little bit.
Haven't TDed the Verito yet but yes, the looks are very, very dated. The only reason I was considering it was it's overall performance and the space inside.

I quite don't like the Manza's looks. Don't know why, but Tata cars have always been a big turn off for me. I considered the Indigo for awhile but dropped it very quickly.

Plus, the city I live in still needs to go a long way before even medium-sized sedans can roam the streets. Hatchback for me now. Maybe in 5-6 years' time...


Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Why not jazz? in kerala the city can be had for 8.2 lakhs onroad. thinking that jazz will soon come under 7.
I must say that with the recent price cuts for the City, I might be considering Jazz seriously. With the kind of attitude Tata-Fiat people are showing, Punto could be out despite being the best of the lot.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 19:09   #32
BHPian
 
spindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 289
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

@RavenAvi, I accompanied a friend to check out the Punto at the Concorde Motors showroom in Chennai today. I was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised to find a salesman attend to promptly and offer us test drive of all the models / variants.

My friend currently drives a Figo and was complaining about the long clutch travel in the Punto. He was finding it very difficult to adjust to it. Did you find it uncomfortable in any way?

Another thing I noticed is that while the plastics have improved a bit in the 2011 model, they are still bad in certain areas - the dashboard moulding to the right of the steering column, steering height adjustment lever and glovebox being some examples.

I intend to test drive the Jazz and the Polo over the next couple of days too.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 20:37   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
@RavenAvi, I accompanied a friend to check out the Punto at the Concorde Motors showroom in Chennai today. I was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised to find a salesman attend to promptly and offer us test drive of all the models / variants.

My friend currently drives a Figo and was complaining about the long clutch travel in the Punto. He was finding it very difficult to adjust to it. Did you find it uncomfortable in any way?

Another thing I noticed is that while the plastics have improved a bit in the 2011 model, they are still bad in certain areas - the dashboard moulding to the right of the steering column, steering height adjustment lever and glovebox being some examples.

I intend to test drive the Jazz and the Polo over the next couple of days too.
I bet Concorde Motors has a separate Fiat section, complete with their own SPs, reception and showcase space. That helps immensely.

How did it all go? Was your friend impressed? Do tell us.

I have read that it was tough to get into a perfect driver's position in the Punto, but I felt no such problem. The pedals are a bit cramped together (like in my 800), but me being a tall person, I was not that bothered with the clutch. It was just a bit tighter than the 800, but not uncomfortable. The 2nd gear felt a bit tall (or maybe it was just the turbolag), but the drive was pretty smooth, and the clutch behaved pretty well every time I shifted the gears.

The road behaviour of the Punto is exemplary - it just glides over bumpers and small potholes unlike any other car. I felt that the smoothness of Punto on the roads was truly wonderful. Maybe it was because it was the first car in my list which I had TDed after travelling to the dealer in my 800, which has a remarkably stiff suspension and makes you wince everytime you climb a bumper or dive into a pothole, however small it is.

The plastics and fit/finish leave a lot to be desired. My TD Punto (a MJD) had the glovebox practically hanging open on the right side, and it had a huge gap after being in the closed position. The horn also had big gaps on all sides, and the driver side door's rubbers were coming off on the top and the left side. The SP said that it had been TDed a lot (his excuse), but I felt that these problems were with the car from the beginning.

This is one more point which is against Fiat. They really need to do something about the fit/finishing of the interior plastics/rubber. It is simply inexcusable to find such sort of small and silly faults in a 7L+ car, which is otherwise a brilliant vehicle.

Great to hear you will be TDing both Jazz and Polo. Please share your experiences with both cars.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 13:44   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,748
Thanked: 89,395 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

In a comparison of the Verito & Punto, you can't afford to worry about Tata-Fiat service. Have you ever experienced Mahindras . Its overall much (read - MUCH) worse than Tata.

The Punto doesn't meet your requirements either as it does have typically niggles, the rear bench has limited space and isn't the best to drive in the city (turbo-lag, heavier steering, awkward ergonomics). The Fiat will be a poor match to the requirements stated in the opening post.

I would also highly recommend you to take a spin in the Etios (my favourite petrol entry-level sedan); its the fastest from the segment, space is second only to the Manza and the ride / handling is very balanced. The light controls, with awesome low-end torque, make it extremely well suited to city driving too.

You might also want to wait for the inevitable Jazz price cut. Except for the inflated price, it is one heck of a hatchback.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 14:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In a comparison of the Verito & Punto, you can't afford to worry about Tata-Fiat service. Have you ever experienced Mahindras . Its overall much (read - MUCH) worse than Tata.
I feared as much. I heard from Mahindra owners that their service centers give a LOT of attention to Scorpios, while the Boleros were made to wait in line. No wonder Bolero owners prefer their servicing at local service centers instead of the official service centers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Punto doesn't meet your requirements either as it does have typically niggles, the rear bench has limited space and isn't the best to drive in the city (turbo-lag, heavier steering, awkward ergonomics). The Fiat will be a poor match to the requirements stated in the opening post.
The steering of the Punto did feel heavy, specially at low speeds and cornering. And the rear bench can accomodate 2 fully grown people at the most - a 3rd might squeeze in but all 3 will be cramped for sure. It is purely a driver's car and a great option for a car enthusiast, and it's looks have me totally floored! So, despite it's very obvious shortcomings, I had zeroed on it in the end, despite the fight between the head and the heart.

But now with the kind of experience I am having with the TATA-Fiat people, I just might have to strike it off with a heavy heart.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would also highly recommend you to take a spin in the Etios (my favourite petrol entry-level sedan); its the fastest from the segment, space is second only to the Manza and the ride / handling is very balanced. The light controls, with awesome low-end torque, make it extremely well suited to city driving too.
I did TD the Etios, GTO. It has a great engine and suspension, absolutely Toyota quality. It handled really well on the roads, picked up very well from the low gears and had lots of space and a huge boot!

What I didn't like was the interior quality and the very awkward center console and very small digital displays of the Fuel meter and other stuff (I had to squint hard to see the meter and the icons, because of my slight near-sightedness) From where I sat, it looked like a stack of cards plastered on each other's sides! And I prefer my console right in front of me, not on the side. This was one of the main reasons why, despite considering it seriously before it's launch at the beginning of this year, I struck it off.

The Liva is a much better looker than the sedan (the rear looks great), but it will come with the same interiors and so, I am not considering it either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You might also want to wait for the inevitable Jazz price cut. Except for the inflated price, it is one heck of a hatchback.
I am thinking of the Jazz. Right now I am going through all the threads for the Jazz in T-BHP (specially adimicra's and akp's threads are being very helpful).

Like you said, the price cut is inevitable (like I pointed out in the New Car Price Check thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-deals-38.html (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)), and if the top-end X variant comes to around 7.25-7.4L range after the price cuts, discounts or no discounts offered, I am going for it without hesitation.

Will give the Fiat people one more chance till the end of next week, though.

Thanks a lot, GTO.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th June 2011 at 14:32.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:11   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

The Mahindra guys called me to inform that a Verito is available for TD so I went to TD it yesterday afternoon. The SP was a polite fellow and explained a bit about the features, etc. I told him to sit with me and we went out for about a 30-minute TD on all sorts of roads.

Positives - Smooth engine, very rugged suspension, pick-up from low gears and rpms quite decent, lots of space inside, 5th passenger can be accomodated in backseat, good boot space, cabin feels airy and open, good visibility on all sides, good ground clearance.

Negatives - Front section looks glaringly similar to the Esteem, rubbery gearbox, feedback from steering less at higher speeds, cornering not upto mark (compared to the Dzire), tacky interior plastics, many interior features omitted, very bland rear light cluster, roof rails stand out and look odd.

All in all, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was driving the next-gen Esteem badged under a Mahindra. The best points of the Verito are the performance and interior space, but it loses out on many other vital points. A car well-suited for those who want a silent workhorse in their garage who will give a faithful service over the years without any considerable fuss.


The Honda guy called in the evening and asked if I was ready with my decision, and if I wanted he would send a Jazz over to TD. I replied that I was still debating over it and a few other contenders, and if he gave me a good deal I might swing my loyalty towards the Jazz. He again insisted that Honda doesn't give them the margins now, and that the 55K discount, Rs.1/- insurance, standard freebies and the rear spoiler is the best he can offer. I told him I will think over it and call him back.

Guess I will wait for the Jazz price-cut.

Meanwhile, planning to visit the capital next week to give the Punto one final chance by TDing the 75HP & the 90HP variants. The car is wonderful no doubt, but the TATA-Fiat people certainly are not. If that's the same place where I will need to service my future Punto, I just might have to decide over it.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:07   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Honda guy called in the evening and asked if I was ready with my decision, and if I wanted he would send a Jazz over to TD. I replied that I was still debating over it and a few other contenders, and if he gave me a good deal I might swing my loyalty towards the Jazz. He again insisted that Honda doesn't give them the margins now, and that the 55K discount, Rs.1/- insurance, standard freebies and the rear spoiler is the best he can offer. I told him I will think over it and call him back.

Guess I will wait for the Jazz price-cut.
I wouldnt hold my breath on the price cuts being much more than what they are offering now. AFAIK, the price cut is only making the discount 'official'. After the price cut, I doubt any further discounts will be offered. Of course, you may save a few K if you wait a bit.

As for the Jazz, I totally recommend one. While it is fuel efficient, do keep in mind that you will get a diesel Punto for the same price as a petrol jazz (almost!). Just FYI, so that you dont look at diesel prices after going in for a Jazz. After all kpl isnt everything in a car (IMHO)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:26   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,369
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I wouldnt hold my breath on the price cuts being much more than what they are offering now. AFAIK, the price cut is only making the discount 'official'. After the price cut, I doubt any further discounts will be offered. Of course, you may save a few K if you wait a bit.
I agree with Self Drive - look the case of Honda City - Mdsaab posts that the deal he got before the price cut was more sweeter.

Jazz is another car which I will recommend - with there was a properly priced diesel variant. Do not loose heart - do take the test drives and then decide.

IMHO, the time before price cut may be the right time to get the maximum benefits if you are looking for a Jazz. Did you see the latest posts by Mdsaab about the Civic discounts he was able to get after using his persuasion skills?
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 19:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I wouldnt hold my breath on the price cuts being much more than what they are offering now. AFAIK, the price cut is only making the discount 'official'. After the price cut, I doubt any further discounts will be offered. Of course, you may save a few K if you wait a bit.
I have been doing some calculations after checking the prices of the Jazz and the City on Honda's site before and after the price cuts for the City.

(all prices, ex-showroom Raipur)

Jazz - 7,45,100.

Jazz Select - 7,56,500.

Jazz X - 7,88,500.

City 1.5 E (base model, before price cut) - 8,32,300.

City 1.5 E (base model, after price cut) - 7,66,300.


The difference between the base models of both cars before the City's price cut was 87.2K, and the difference between Jazz X and City was at 43.8K.

Now that the City's prices have been cut, and assuming that Honda will want to retain the same difference between the Jazz models and City's base model, revised prices for the Jazz might look like this -

Jazz - 6,79,100.

Jazz Select - 6,90,500.

Jazz X - 7,22,500.

Now, Jazz has not been a bestseller for Honda, so even with the imminent price cut, I don't think there will be a sudden surge of Jazz buyers. If they offer total benefits of around at least 25-30K on the Select and X models, it is a great deal, even for a petrol Honda.


Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As for the Jazz, I totally recommend one. While it is fuel efficient, do keep in mind that you will get a diesel Punto for the same price as a petrol jazz (almost!). Just FYI, so that you dont look at diesel prices after going in for a Jazz. After all kpl isnt everything in a car (IMHO)
And that's a very important and valid point you pointed out, selfdrive.

A diesel Punto at the same price as a petrol Jazz is a huge deal! But I had time to think over this initial question (diesel or petrol), and I decided that it wouldn't matter much to me (for at least the next few years) if it was either. My use is limited to less than 5000 kms a year, so petrol might suit fine for me till it touches Rs. 100/ltr.

Besides, a sparingly-used diesel car in the garage might scream for attention from being unused so much!


Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I agree with Self Drive - look the case of Honda City - Mdsaab posts that the deal he got before the price cut was more sweeter.

Jazz is another car which I will recommend - with there was a properly priced diesel variant. Do not loose heart - do take the test drives and then decide.

IMHO, the time before price cut may be the right time to get the maximum benefits if you are looking for a Jazz. Did you see the latest posts by Mdsaab about the Civic discounts he was able to get after using his persuasion skills?
Yes I read Mdsaab's Civic discounts post. He is amazing with his negotiations power. If only I lived in Pune!

Adimicra's thread has rejuvenated my own haggling power, I must admit! From all the kinds of bargaining I did with the Fiat people, I am confident I can get something out of the Honda people as well. Hopefully!

I have decided to wait for a little more time, and TD both Punto cars next week. No point to rush into a decision and then regret later.

Thanks, guys.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 09:25   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,369
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

No point to rush into a decision and then regret later.

Thanks, guys.
True. Buying a car is not something we do almost every year, so better safe than sorry.

The trend I have seen among my friends is that, if you have a diesel car, you tend to drive more - in most cases, the prediction of X km in a year have been crossed in few initial months itself. I will always prefer a diesel - once you buy the car and start enjoy driving it, I am sure you will drive more than what you plan now
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 10:07   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,986
Thanked: 4,026 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Well Raven, you seem to be in quite a dilemma and quite confused by now with the multiple options (aishwarya rai or jayalalitha... lolz). However as GTO mentioned, a Toyota is a Toyota. You might not like its plane jane sensibility right now, but over a period of time you will fall in love with it. Do give LIVA (if the Etios is too big for you) a second chance and go for the lower petrol motor and then live happily ever after with complete peace of mind. It will fit your budget too... Best of luck...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 11:16   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And that's a very important and valid point you pointed out, selfdrive.
A diesel Punto at the same price as a petrol Jazz is a huge deal! But I had time to think over this initial question (diesel or petrol), and I decided that it wouldn't matter much to me (for at least the next few years) if it was either. My use is limited to less than 5000 kms a year, so petrol might suit fine for me till it touches Rs. 100/ltr.
Besides, a sparingly-used diesel car in the garage might scream for attention from being unused so much!
Yes I read Mdsaab's Civic discounts post. He is amazing with his negotiations power. If only I lived in Pune!
Adimicra's thread has rejuvenated my own haggling power, I must admit! From all the kinds of bargaining I did with the Fiat people, I am confident I can get something out of the Honda people as well. Hopefully!
Be careful about that statement (highlighted in bold)! This is what I thought while buying my Jazz. My estimate was around 6K a year.But now I am so comfortable driving around that I have clocked almost 3K in around 7 weeks. And the long monsoon drives around Konkan & the Sahyadris are yet to come. Just to warn you that driving can be addictive once you get comfortable in the driving seat.

Do I ever repent not buying a diesel? Yes for a bit and then immediately no! The yes comes when I am paying for petrol at the pump, but the no comes immediately when I start the Jazz. Sorry if I am repeating myself, but FE is not everything, sometimes its ok to spend 20% extra if it brings that smile to your face. What would have been the point if I saved that 20%, owned any other car and sighed whenever a Jazz went by? When I was reconsidering my decision to buy the Jazz, a friend told me its like getting married for a 20% extra dowry and then ruing not marrying the person you would have been happy to live with. No offence meant to anyone, just that I didnt do that either and didnt want to do that with my car either!

As for negotiating skills, hindsight is always precious! We always think later that we should have bargained harder, but its better to work upon it in the present than regret later. I am sure mdsaab and adimicra have also learnt to bargain the smart way, from other experiences around them and their own. I think you have a great opportunity to be called the mdsaab or adimicra of Jdp, again no offence meant to any of you. Just trying to pep you up for the bargaining bit. Kal ko log aapki misaal bhi denge

And please ignore the bits that are heavy on philosophy/ gyaan!

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st June 2011 at 11:18.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 11:28   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

This has become such a common thing on the forum. People love the Punto for the car it is, but the dealers always manage to screw things up ! (Almost in your case - hope things go well).

Like most have mentioned, i too feel that waiting for Jazz discounts will not make much difference to the on road price of the car. Honda might reduce the price by 50k (officially) and the dealers will stop giving the 55k discount and free insurance. So you might actually end up paying more if the discount does come !

Anyways, all the best with your Punto TD's. Do let us know how it goes.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st June 2011 at 11:31.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 17:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,373
Thanked: 28,315 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Considering you want to keep the car for 10 years, of the shortlisted ones I would recommend the Punto.
Of the options you havent considered:
- please TD a Manza; you may end up either extending your budget a little bit or going for the mid range ABS version
- used/ pre owned cars: let somebody else bear the brunt of depreciation or the first couple of years and then you keep the car for as long as you want.
Benefits? more range of cars in the same budget and better/ more features too. Perhaps a bit of snob value thrown in

If you end up buying a used Punto, you will save some money and you will also get a rust free model!
Apologies, selfdrive. I didn't see this ^^ earlier post of yours, so replying to it now...

I am not a big fan of Tata cars. Even though their entire range is spacious enough and they are all wonderful VFMs, there is something about a Tata car which doesn't click with me. I have sat inside an Indica, Vista, Indigo CS and Manza, and I don't know - just this gut feeling that Tata isn't for me. Whether it's the central console, the rather cheap-looking interior plastics, the rubbery gearbox or something else. (no offence to Tata lovers)

Just like all Hyundais. I have experienced long journeys in the Santro, Accent, i10, i20, (older) Sonata, (older) Verna, etc. and even driven the Santro, i10 and older Verna, and there's something superficial about Hyundais in general (no offence to Hyundai lovers).

The i10 I drove, was of a colleague. Imagine my astonishment when I hooked one finger into the steering and rotated it several turns without any effort whatsoever! Now that's what I call a truly lifeless steering!

No Hyundais or Tatas for me, was my conclusion. Dad insisted for me to go for the Indigo eCS, which would be a great buy considering it's diesel, spacious, good engine and great resale value (even as a taxi), but I flatly said no. After all, a car buy is just not about all of the above - there needs to be that...umm, how can I put it..."flavor". Maybe a little bit of heart with lots of head is what is needed.

Used cars - yes, I considered them briefly, simply for the range of choices they offer within the same budget. But I am not a good judge of used cars, and always feel apprehensive that I might buy a lemon after getting impressed by it's initial looks and feel. Trusty mechanics are hard to find, and dealers in JDP and the capital haven't started their own used car outlets yet, except Maruti. Very, very tough to find a good used car in JDP, and I don't have the time to look in the capital, given my job schedule.


Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
True. Buying a car is not something we do almost every year, so better safe than sorry.

The trend I have seen among my friends is that, if you have a diesel car, you tend to drive more - in most cases, the prediction of X km in a year have been crossed in few initial months itself. I will always prefer a diesel - once you buy the car and start enjoy driving it, I am sure you will drive more than what you plan now
I enjoy driving quite a bit. The city I live in has a wonderful small lake near where I live, and I cruise around the lake road whenever I get the time.

The problem is the traffic. This state's traffic has to be surely ranked as the worst in India - unruly, no traffic sense at all, and most of all, ready to fight even if it's their fault. Both, the capital and our city, has some of the most vicious bike riders you will ever get to see, specially schoolkids who don't even possess a driving license and are zipping around in Karizmas and Pulsars and Apaches!

So, even if I am a driving enthusiast, I feel it's a risk to cruise around in my city. Roads are usually congested, no/little traffic sense of the other drivers (specially bike riders), and narrow roads. This place is still suited for hatchbacks; no sedans for now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well Raven, you seem to be in quite a dilemma and quite confused by now with the multiple options (aishwarya rai or jayalalitha... lolz). However as GTO mentioned, a Toyota is a Toyota. You might not like its plane jane sensibility right now, but over a period of time you will fall in love with it. Do give LIVA (if the Etios is too big for you) a second chance and go for the lower petrol motor and then live happily ever after with complete peace of mind. It will fit your budget too... Best of luck...
Yes, the Liva is a much better looker than the Etios sedan. But I have read that it will come with the same interiors as the sedan, and that central console is a turn off. When I TDed the Etios sedan, I felt my attention kept diverting from the road when I glanced at the center console to check the speeds and rpm. It's slightly odd to divert looking from the road to the left (like in the Etios and Indica) than from top towards bottom (like in conventional consoles, as in my 800).

But, the Liva is also an option. If not for anything, just for the space it offers, city driving benefits, and the Toyota badge.

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Be careful about that statement (highlighted in bold)! This is what I thought while buying my Jazz. My estimate was around 6K a year.But now I am so comfortable driving around that I have clocked almost 3K in around 7 weeks. And the long monsoon drives around Konkan & the Sahyadris are yet to come. Just to warn you that driving can be addictive once you get comfortable in the driving seat.

Do I ever repent not buying a diesel? Yes for a bit and then immediately no! The yes comes when I am paying for petrol at the pump, but the no comes immediately when I start the Jazz. Sorry if I am repeating myself, but FE is not everything, sometimes its ok to spend 20% extra if it brings that smile to your face. What would have been the point if I saved that 20%, owned any other car and sighed whenever a Jazz went by? When I was reconsidering my decision to buy the Jazz, a friend told me its like getting married for a 20% extra dowry and then ruing not marrying the person you would have been happy to live with. No offence meant to anyone, just that I didnt do that either and didnt want to do that with my car either!

As for negotiating skills, hindsight is always precious! We always think later that we should have bargained harder, but its better to work upon it in the present than regret later. I am sure mdsaab and adimicra have also learnt to bargain the smart way, from other experiences around them and their own. I think you have a great opportunity to be called the mdsaab or adimicra of Jdp, again no offence meant to any of you. Just trying to pep you up for the bargaining bit. Kal ko log aapki misaal bhi denge

And please ignore the bits that are heavy on philosophy/ gyaan!
Great observation, my friend. In the end, what matters is the smile on the face and the absolute satisfaction one feels when they are inside the car of their choice!

It's not about snob value or flaunting or practicality, because a car is not an asset. It is a liability and from the day you drive it out of the dealer's place, the depreciation starts. In the end what matters is if you are completely satisfied with your purchase. This extends to every consumable in our lives, not just cars. For e.g., if I like an AC for it's ease of use and looks, I won't care if it's price is just 10,000/- and go for a 25K AC just because I can flaunt it, no matter how complicated it turns out to be.

This place gets a lot of rains too (in fact it is raining heavily as I type this!). Jdp is rather high-set after a range of in-country mountains, and the rains usually start from the end of June and extend till Diwali times. Ergo my worries about rusting earlier. And driving in the rains is such a pleasure, especially if you are one who absolutely loves the rainy season, like me!

Ahh, I am just a humble fellow from the interior part of our country. If I can haggle a bit and get even half of what our esteemed members' negotiate for and get as discounts, I will be happy. I was pretty happy with the haggling I did with the Fiat people for the Punto last week. No such confidence with the Honda people so far...it will be like grinding my teeth to get anything out of them!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
This has become such a common thing on the forum. People love the Punto for the car it is, but the dealers always manage to screw things up ! (Almost in your case - hope things go well).

Like most have mentioned, i too feel that waiting for Jazz discounts will not make much difference to the on road price of the car. Honda might reduce the price by 50k (officially) and the dealers will stop giving the 55k discount and free insurance. So you might actually end up paying more if the discount does come !

Anyways, all the best with your Punto TD's. Do let us know how it goes.
I decided not to wait for them to call back, and visit the capital sometime this weekend after confirmation that both Punto models have come to their showrooms. Any sort of expectations regarding servicing from TATA-Fiat feels pretty useless right now, given the kind of attitude they have shown to a prospective buyer of a 7L+ car so far. It all boils down to one thing in the end - whether I want the car or not.

Yes I did take that fact about the Jazz into consideration too. But if my calculations above prove to be correct, it should be a good deal. Let's see what happens. I somehow doubt that Honda will drop the Rs.1/- insurance offer, although they have shortened the Warranty to 2 years and no more free Roadside Assistance (it now comes in Paid yearly packages). If they do, I can get a much better and cheaper offer from my local insurance, so no worries there.


Thanks, guys. All your replies is helping me immensely to ponder over everything and guiding me in the right direction for my eventual decision. I am very obliged and thankful to all of my friends in T-BHP for taking such an active interest in my tough little decision-making period.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st June 2011 at 17:26.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:17   #45
BHPian
 
spindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 289
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Would you recommend a Verito over a Punto or Polo? My research for THE car contin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Great to hear you will be TDing both Jazz and Polo. Please share your experiences with both cars.
Just back from a short TD of the Polo (1.2 P). It was done in the midst of traffic, so apologies for the "narrow" perspective.

Polo pluses:
Feels built to last forever.
Excellent quality of plastics and upholstery (Livon - Highline). Leagues ahead of Punto / Figo.
Steering very good for city use - tested at <50kph.
Outstanding gearshift (minus the reverse gear mechanism).
Comfortable front seats.
Ride quality was good although I suspect the tyres in the demo car were over-inflated.
Electrically adjustable ORVMs (in the new Highline).
Ergonomics seemed spot on.

Minuses:
Poor rear legroom plus huge transmission tunnel.
No USB, No Aux-in(!), No bluetooth.
No driver-side rear PW controls.
ORVMs not electrically retractable.
All-round visibility worse than Figo, but better than Punto.
No Climate Control (a minus versus the Punto).
Bad Price-to-features ratio.


The dealership experience (VW Mount Road) was good but the sales execs were not so informed. For e.g., the sales guy didn't know that the new Highline was missing remote window open / close, that it didn't have Aux-In or that the driver side PW controls were missing. He himself found these out later via physical examination - the new Highline was on display inside the showroom!

There are no offers whatsoever on the Polo except for a corporate discount - the 1.6 HL comes for 7.4L OTR in Chennai and the 1.2TDI for a whopping 8.1L. Personally, the Jazz with discounts looks attractive in comparison to the Polo 1.6, although it might fall well short in terms of performance / handling. The Punto 1.3 EP is a very good buy if one is willing to overlook outright quality and A.S.S. concerns.

A TD of the Polo 1.6 is on the cards. The TDI doesn't quite appeal to me with its noise levels (as heard from outside), more so at that price point.

Last edited by spindoc : 22nd June 2011 at 19:27. Reason: Added text about TDI version
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Punto DevilsCry Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 59 22nd February 2014 20:01
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks