Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2011, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Default Automatic - Honda City or New Hyundai Verna

I am thinking about replacing my 1 and half year old Honda City manual with an automatic one. The choices are the same All New Honda City automatic (now available at 9.4 lakhs ex showroom) and the ANHV fluidic Diesel.

The key factors in favor of new Verna are 1) diesel which is 43 ruppees compared to petrol which is 67 rupees in my state. 2) this car looks like the sonata that runs in US. I rented one in march this year and it was a breeze. The same curves on this verna is good enough to convert me into a hyundai customer.

Key factors against new Verna are 1) wifey doesnt like hyundai... and hates the name verna even more !!!!

Please let me know your thoughts

Regards
Dev

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 23:27. Reason: We discourage short forms of car names, it definitely takes less time to type BUT more time to read. Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 10:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Automatic - Honda City or New Hyundai Verna

With the current rise in petrol prices i would suggest you opt for a diesel( if your running is above 1200 km p.m.) . If budget is not a constraint the ANHV AT might be the best bet. It looks good, has a good diesel, AT , loaded to the brim and good A.S.S. I dont think you can go wrong with it.

I assume you want to sell your ANHC MT because you want a AT ONLY right? If your running is minimal and you do want to save a bit of dough i would suggest you look at the used Civic AT too.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Would it be wise to sell a 1 and a half year old car? I think you stand to lose out in the bargain. Not only that, an A/T will give you a lower mileage. Plus, its a petrol car. If I were you, I would hold on to the M/T City for few more years.

If budget is no constraint & if you do 1500km/month or more, a diesel car makes more sense in these times of rising petrol prices.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 11:54   #4
BHPian

I agree with fuel_addict, it wouldnt be cost effective to replace a relatively new car (18 months old), and a pretty good one too (ANHC), which isnt giving you any troubles either (nothing that you've mentioned).

However, if you are tired of driving a manual, go for the Verna Automatic. Increasing petrol costs and lower mileage would be a double whammy with the ANHC AT. IMHO, you already have an ANHC so buying another new one would probably not have the same new car feeling as opposed to the Verna.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:14   #5
BHPian

Hormazd just scooped on the Autocar show that Honda is working on 1.4L and 1.6L diesel with a lot of focus. The petrol price cuts now make even more sense!
Old 9th July 2011, 23:31   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys. I missed an important point. The car is in my company's name and we recently changed our company's name so i have to now either buy the car or sell it and get a new one. That's the starting point for this discussion. Otherwise i am willing to hold on to this car for some more years.

Last week we did a chennai-nagercoil-chennai trip covering 1400 kms and the car returned an amazing 19kmpl overall.

In 18 months i have done 19,000 kilometers. So my running is not so high. Also wifey doenst like used cars so used civic is not an option.

I am slightly confused because the prices quoted by used car dealers for my city is not so encouraging. The hyundai dealer said that around 140 used citys are lying idle without being able to find a buyer overall in chennai. Not sure if he tried to scare me. Anyway took another look at the verna at the showroom today. Once my company clarifies my options and the calculations are made final i will decide.

havent taken a TD of the verna yet.. fyi

cheers
dev
Old 9th July 2011, 23:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Diesel AT makes perfect sense. - VernaD AT

Will you be able to afford 8kmp with a petrol AT?

If you are able to stretch your Budget you might wanna check out Laura DSG.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:13   #8
BHPian

@irdevanand: I recently test drove both and came up with the answer that for a Petrol the ANHC is still the best. ANHV has a strong diesel but its a old school 4 speed auto and secondly when i sat in the rear i could feel the suspension inches away from my behind. I dint like that feeling, the seat was too low.

I currently own the Corolla Altis AT though i own the older 4 speed model which just got replaced to the 7 speed AT, the 4 speed that i have is great to drive. Its not sluggish or slow its a great car overall. The new 7 speed though is much better, if you can stretch your budget i strongly suggest you consider it.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:30   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@irdevanand

Your have mentioned that you have clocked 19K kms in 18 months. For this sort of mileage, I would suggest you to go in for the ANH Verna Diesel. The car is super refined and save a good deal of money on fuel bills. Yes, the AT is outdated and comes with only a 4 speed gear box.

But, if you have time to wait, I think the Honda Diesel engines could be well the worth. I just hope Honda brings in their Diesel engines quickly!!!
Old 11th July 2011, 08:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think if you would be comparing them as petrol only.
Then the ANHC AT is a clear winner.
but since you bring Diesel into the picture.
Then the new Verna is a great choice.
True it's a 4 speeder, but if you drive mostly in the city it does not make much of a difference. Plus i have heard the gears are taller to compensate.
The ANHV is loaded to the gills, it makes sense as a practical city commute.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 23:28. Reason: We discourage short forms of car names, it definitely takes less time to type BUT more time to read. Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 09:38   #11
BHPian

Hi Dev,

As on this day there is nothing comparable with new Verna in its price bracket if you consider its quality and equippment. The ANHC is considerably under equipped when compared with the new Verna.

If you are a petrol head and not very fond of gadgetry then ANHC is a better choice considering its FE and 5 speed auto box and the paddle shifters.

However if you are into diesel then there is no choice other than the new Verna. IMHO I would definetely recommend you the ANHV since its fresh and new and will not change for another 3-4 years. However the City is likely to have an upgrade or facelift shortly and you might feel bad later.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 23:29. Reason: We discourage short forms of car names, it definitely takes less time to type BUT more time to read. Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

19000 in 18 months work out to be 12000 km in a year. I would recommend to go with Verna diesel AT. I own a ANHC AT and if I were to buy a automatic car today, I would go with ANHV AT Diesel.
I am assuming that you are tired of driving a manual in a bumper to bumper traffic. Otherwise, you will miss the fun in an automatic car.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 23:29. Reason: We discourage short forms of car names, it definitely takes less time to type BUT more time to read. Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 12:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I was a bit surprised with the OP – selling off an eighteen months old car in favour of an AT in the same class. But later it made much more sense with your clarification (of changing job).
There is not much to choose here right? If its diesel you have the Verna, and if its petrol, I will recommend the City.

That said, if you have option to increase the budget, have a look at Skoda Laura 2.0 CR DSG.
Old 11th July 2011, 20:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you have changed the company's name, why not get it re-registered?
It might cost a little bit, but the savings over buying a new car would be big!
Old 11th July 2011, 21:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you have changed the company's name, why not get it re-registered?
It might cost a little bit, but the savings over buying a new car would be big!
That what I did. I left the company 1 year after buying the car. There was an option to transfer the car to the new company's leasing scheme but it was too complicated process. I have transferred the car to my name but i don't get the 'benefits' of the company lease scheme.
Closed Thread