Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 14th October 2011, 11:23   #16
Default Re: Contessa Diesel or Petrol ?

Alright friends, i have taken the test drive for a 1993 contessa Petrol with Isuzu engine on it..... I was amazed to see the pickup and the way car was responding as i could not get the chance to put the 5th gear at all since even in the 3rd gear itself the car was crossing well over 80 and i was not really sure about the breaking ability of the machine. It was not the power steering so had to do some workout taking uturn etc. liked the car by its performance but had really less space inside. no legroom for the people sitting at the back seat. Also, the interiors has to be completely rebuild and of-course requires the paitjob also...

I like the car but felt that its more of like a doing a project rather buying a car. Can't just live with the petrol engine due the fuel hike and since its a old one, alternate fuel (CNG/LPG) also can't be installed. Another major issue is that a friend of mine told that if i swap the engine, it will not be legal.

So even buying a contessa and getting a diesel engine will again be a question.

Need help people.... please suggest.... or i just forget everything and buy a new Safari
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 12:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Another major issue is that a friend of mine told that if i swap the engine, it will not be legal.

or i just forget everything and buy a new Safari
Forget the legal part, the petrol car chassis is designed for petrol engines which are lighter and dont shake too much. If changed to Diesel it will shake the whole body every time it is run and over long periods of time one would hear noise everywhere from the car.

My suggestion, forget this childhood passion and move on to a Safari, or run with Petrol engine maybe once a week as a hobby for antique cars. Cant be a daily usage car. All the best

PS: Just so we are clear the above recommendation is from the head and not from heart. It all depends what your current priorities are and how much pain you can take by doing what the heart says.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 14th October 2011 at 12:37.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 17:03   #18

Originally Posted by adroit View Post

thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions. I indeed buy your point that modern diesel cars would anyday a better & wiser choice to make. Reason, i want to buy contessa is because i like the looks of the car like anything.. Its been really long i wanted to buy the car but since the priority for easy going daily commuting low maintenance car, i went to buy a Santro based on my budget.

Its been 5 years i am running on this car and want to get a change. Initially i was thinking to buy Tata Safari but later i thought why not to keep the santro and buy a contessa which can be further restored to new look.

I don't have deep knowledge about auto technologies but i love the machines like anything and have a great passion about it.

I had the similar suggestions being given when i decided to buy a Bullect Electra over a Bajaj Pulsar. Puslar was a advance machine with better performance on low maintenance but i chose Bullet.

Trust me guys, its anyday better to ride a Bullet over any plastic bike, no matter how advance the other bikes are.

i have the similar feeling about contessa. I was chatting with a mechanic today and he suggested me to buy a petrol version on cheaper cost and swap the petrol engine with a diesel one.

I don't know how cost effective it will be and will be practical. I don't mind spending 1 - 1.5 L on this car...

Please let me know your views on it.
my vote would always support contessa when compared to the tin metal cars available these days, well if you get a decent petrol conty you can consider,once you bring it to shape hardly you will encounter problems, i take my conty out on alternative week ends and never been to mechanic for breakdowns except for oil check/general checkups(yearly once)...since kms driven are <2000... overall city mileage works to 6-9 km/ltr,decent for the power & weight ratio, even after 15-20 days the car starts form 1st self, depending on your passion you can plan,,,
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 16:10   #19

Hi, Contact Shankar of Coimbatore. Here is his introductory thread where you can see that he has restored a Contessa. He might be able to clarify any doubts that you may have.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...oimbatore.html (Shankar From Coimbatore)
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 16:32   #20

& more importantly, instead of going for Pete's you can buy a backup Conty & use it as parts donor car.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 16:38   #21

Dear Friend,

Today I would any time advice to go for a done up contessa. The problem with doing it up yourself is availability of spares. You will have to run around even for things like beadings for doors and glasses which will not be available. And once you get the car back after renovation, keep aside 2-3 months to sort out the niggling issues.
I have recently done my contessa, and hence am advicing. This machine is with me since 2002.
I would not advice you about not going for a contessa as the car has it's own charm, and the feeling when you are stared at the signals is totally priceless.
But be prepared for all sorts of mechanical problems before the car settles down to daily run. Yes very important....use it regularly otherwise everytime you take it out after a long break, the first stop would be a mechanic's garage.

With Best Regards,
abhijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:14   #22
Smile Re: Contessa Diesel or Petrol ?

Another potential owner in the making. This thread has given me quite a lot of insight. Searching for a good deal on a diesel conti. Currently own a Ford ikon 1.8D 2000 and plan to sell it and get a conti. I know it is a downgrade in a way but also upgrade in some sense in my mind. Probably coti lovers can feel what's going on in my head. Found quite a superbly maintained petrol but the asking price was 2.3l.(jalandhar) Diesels range from 1-1.8l.
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote