Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 18th December 2011, 22:51   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I think calling it ruined would be too strong a statement. It may be or may be not. You need guts to give an ad in paper like ToI to sell at such decent prices (decent from seller point of view).
Do you really consider this a decent price? Yes, it is decent as compared to what you have to pay at the dealer for the exact same model. But then you are not getting a piece equivalent to what you would get from the dealer.

As someone has mentioned, fantastic deals ("its a steal") never have to be advertised in the newspaper in the first place, they get consumed in the family and friends themselves.

e.g. A dear friend called me the other day and asked if I am interested in getting the NEW swift. He had booked it and was getting a delivery in about a week's time. The thing was, he had booked a Polo also, took the delivery and did not want the Swift anymore. Given the demand and the waiting period for the new Swift, I am pretty sure the car he booked has been picked up by someone in the friend circle.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 22:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you buy one of these, dismantle it completely and sell each part separately, you may actually make some profit.
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 22:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Can we note down the VIN and ask Honda why there is no warranty on this one? May be
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 23:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Carwatcher where are these cars available in Mumbai alone or has a PAN Indian availability. I have sent a mail asking if other brands are also available.

Of late the thread is attracting humour and is losing the seriousness with which it all started..
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 23:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am sorry carwatcher, but if a car is scrapped (for whatever reasons) and the insurance company which would have paid 99% of the car's IDV to the manufacturer/dealer, then that car is certainly ruined for all practical purposes. This is evident in the fact that Honda treats these as 'out of warrranty' cars. We have to be practical in these situations and use our heads instead of greed take over for a couple of lakhs. Please reconsider.
Honda in all probability has no way of selling a car that was repaired even for a few panel damages. They'll not get 99% back - they'll just sell it to the highest bidder, but without liability (i.e. warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Don't go for it. Not worth the hassle. Remember that Honda evaluated the cars to be not fit for regular sale. You may reason that you will use the 2.5L saved for potential repairs in future - but what about your time and car sitting in garage for months/weeks? I also feel the better cars among the lot will be sold to near and dear ones.
The cars have to be road-worthy, or Honda can't sell them in the first place.

The sale is most likely on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Would I take this risk - can't say, I can't afford a City. Would I buy a Figo in a similar situation for a 50% discount? May be, if I know enough about cars, if the seller is willing to talk about (1) why are the cars cheaper in the first place (2) a reasonable test drive (3) a thorough inspection ...

I'm surprised about some of the comments - too many people on the forum are putting remaps and chips on their engines without the kind of guarantees people expect from this kind of a deal.

While it is prudent and natural to be careful, once you have made your queries and are satisfied with the answers, there is no reason you should walk away by default.

Also, GTO mentioned it as a possibility and now people are assuming a certainty - that the cars are transit damaged. How do you know these aren't:

(1) Stolen (perhaps from Honda themselves) with forged paperwork
(2) Old cars refurbished to "look new" with odo reset to 0 (the quoted email doesn't suggest 0 mileage in the first place)
(3) Demo cars now being palmed off

In my opinion approach it just as you would any purchase of a second hand vehicle - nothing more nothing less.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 00:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Do you really consider this a decent price? Yes, it is decent as compared to what you have to pay at the dealer for the exact same model. But then you are not getting a piece equivalent to what you would get from the dealer.
I have mentioned that decent price from seller's (dealer) point of view not buyer's (i.e. us)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can we note down the VIN and ask Honda why there is no warranty on this one? May be
If this is so easy I would definitely do that. They have given Engine and Chasis number in the email for each and every car but not the VIN. He told the manufacturing date as July 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
@Carwatcher where are these cars available in Mumbai alone or has a PAN Indian availability. I have sent a mail asking if other brands are also available.

Of late the thread is attracting humour and is losing the seriousness with which it all started..
No as of now in Mumbai. In the mail they have mentioned as cars are registered, but actually they are not registered and will be registered first in dealer company's name and then in actual buyer's name anywhere in Mumbai or may be Maharashtra.
I started this thread with specific queries of first-hand experience. Anyway I expected and also appreciate the general replies sent by fellow T-Bhpians barring few casual ones.
I would specifically like to point out the reply given by mukeshgoel is of great value. But he didn't touch on the after sales experience of such cars and also didn't advise on whether to consider these type of cars or not, I would like to hear some more from him.

As of now its 90-10 in favour of new car and not these warranty less cars.

I could not help but recollect my experience when I was in Bangalore in 2003. Me and my friend went to Sony showroom to enquire about Handycam, there the sales guy first showed us all the models and after some time told us secretly that he has a friend who has "surplus" imported Handycam with him and he can sell it for few thousands less. Then he took us to Burma Bazaar, we saw the camera, showed it to Sony Service Center guy and after his approval bought it. The sales guy got his share of commission from seller after the deal and left. Till date that Handycam has not given any problem whatsoever, it was not under warranty from day one and we used it thoroughly. The similarity between both the situations is that the brand involved are Japanese and both are highly reliable. If it were not so reliable, we wouldn't even think of doing this. Can you consider this offer if the car involved is Tata. I certainly wouldn't. Anyway comparing Handycam with Car is utterly immature or foolish. Just thought of sharing it with fellow T-Bhpians.

PS : These cars are of 0 mileage as confirmed by the dealer and not yet registered. Yes I am not sure about these being Demo vehicles, but I think demo vehicles are sold by dealer itself. As the case of stolen vehicles, the dealer is himself quoting Engine and Chasis nos for each car individually in the email itself.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th December 2011 at 00:31.
carwatcher is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 00:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars, in some ways are not just machines of pleasure but investment. Investment in peace of mind.

If it is to be owned by say a young freelancer who has time on his hand, then go ahead.

If it is to be owned by your FIL (i.e retirement money, or the kind that will end up as retirement money) then it has to be a hassle free brand, something that stands for peace of mind.

This sounds like a trap - in life, my friend, TANSTAAFL!

(PS: Mint condition. 0 mileage car for 2.5L less, including their cost in newspaper ads as well. Yeah right, pass me the salt sack!!)
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 00:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
If this is so easy I would definitely do that. They have given Engine and Chasis number in the email for each and every car but not the VIN.
I've no idea on Hondas, but for some makers, the chasis number is the same as VIN. Will Honda respond to an e-mail query on this situation?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 07:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car hasn't been registered till now then what are the chances of it being used as a demo car or otherwise? I doubt that these will be used cars. Even Demo cars have to be registered right?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 08:50   #25
BHPian

I used to know one such dealer (not personally but through my friend) who deals into the those Hyundai/Tata/MS which were supposed to be exported but due to some flaws (functional/body damage) were rejected. Those definatly had better quality (considering interiors) but then sold at reduced price with some Jhol.
nomadabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
I used to know one such dealer (not personally but through my friend) who deals into the those Hyundai/Tata/MS which were supposed to be exported but due to some flaws (functional/body damage) were rejected. Those definatly had better quality (considering interiors) but then sold at reduced price with some Jhol.

This seems a more plausible reason than damaged vehicles. However, does Honda export cars from India?
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

I fail to understand even if there was a transit damage, would it not be ideally returned to the manufacturer. Why should it go to the Insurance company? Even if they do own the cars would they not sell it in AS IS basis. Why should the Insurance co take the risk of selling it to any dealer?

Going OT, I had brought myself a Hitachi fridge (transit damaged) through a dealer who had picked up such transit damaged fridges from Hitachi through auction and was selling it. The dealer gave a years warranty on the fridge.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Cars could have been flooded. That is another possibility.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:31   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Electronic items and to a decent extent white goods, I believe quite a few of us would have purchased 'refurbished' or display pieces at a substantial discount.

The question here is that do you consider a car in the same league as electronic items/white-goods? The obvious answer is 'No' because in case of a bad-deal, the risks are too high for a car. And I am not even talking about the 'financial' risk, I am talking about risk to life. Should one still consider such a deal? Yes, why not, if someone is doing a serious due-diligence and factoring in the risks.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mailed them - got the details of cars available.

Cars are kept at Vasai & JNPT. Contact details are present in the attached sheet. The list contains cars in all segments starting from Santro & I10s. A friend who was planning to buy a City is tempted. But then has decided to stay away. Would have probably taken a mechanic to the venue to check out the cars if it was near Pune.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Offer.docx (42.8 KB, 1717 views)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th December 2011 at 13:53.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote