Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 22nd December 2011, 00:29   #46
rkw
BHPian

Default Re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Curious to know the fact. Some questions arise from the discussions above. If the cars are damaged/defective and discarded by the manufacturers, how come they have retained the temporary reg. no., engine no. and chassis no.(VIN)? I presume them to be discarded by manufacturers because otherwise, they would have been sold through proper dealers. But, also have to bear in mind that unlike textiles or furniture, there is no "seconds" in automobiles. Failure to meet QC takes the vehicle back to the assembly line and so does not come out of the plant.
Moreover, considering the Thai flood point of view, then how these cars have entered India? Country of origin can anyway be confirmed from initial characters (not given in word sheet) of VIN.
@carwatcher- if your F-I-L has seen the car, can you pls mention the complete VIN?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
@carwatcher- if your F-I-L has seen the car, can you pls mention the complete VIN?
By the time I called him, he was out of the yard without noting down the VIN. Anyway the dealer has mentioned that all cars are July-2011 manufactured.
Spoke to yet another Honda sales guy, he also told that these cars are flood affected and were lying in some yard for long time. He advised us to go ahead if we get any piece manufactured other than in June-July (which anyway is not there). My personal view is that if any good pieces were available, they would've already been distributed to Family and Friends (as also mentioned by someone in earlier post).
As regards Floods, I am failing to understand that if these cars are Made in India then in which part in India we had floods in July this year, or am I missing something. I don't think that they are imported from Thailand, as they have Hyundai cars too.
Now only some chamatkar can make us go for those cars, otherwise Tata Bye Bye. I can max take risk with Hyundai i10 A/T and certainly not Honda City.

Last edited by carwatcher : 22nd December 2011 at 16:02.
carwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:19   #48
BHPian

Angry Re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Dear T-BHPians,
Need urgent advice on the following matter...

...PS: For other cars available, please contact them directly at surpluscarsforsale@gmail.com

I am pretty sure these are the cars from the car plant that were affected by flood in Thailand. Please Google "Thailand flood and their effect on their car manufacturing. You will be surprised. I am guessing the importer is getting these cars from Thailand as insurance write offs.

Well If It was me, I would check their VIN number and find where they were produced.

Take care
Prem

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2012 at 02:29. Reason: please avoid quoting entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen or mobile users. Thanks.
soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
I am pretty sure these are the cars from the car plant that were affected by flood in Thailand. Please Google "Thailand flood and their effect on their car manufacturing. You will be surprised. I am guessing the importer is getting these cars from Thailand as insurance write offs.
Well I didn't ask the seller about the manufacturing country of the cars but I did ask him about his other business and he is steel exporter (or importer maybe, I can't recollect). So cars being imported from Thailand is very much possible, but what about Hyundai and Volvo.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:31   #50

@ carwatcher: advising your F-I-L to buy one of these cars is like "kulhaadi pe pair maarna". When (and not if) something goes wrong with it, he'll never let you forget it for the rest of your life. And yes, do not forget, his daughter may become the worst cook in the world, all of a sudden... Good choice that you're not going for this "deal".

Coming back on track, when I was part of the auto industry as a territory manager, I'd heard of this one dealer who used to buy total loss cars at scrap value, put them in a new body shell and sell them as "almost new"!! Of course, he'd gone to great lengths to keep this "side business" out of sight of the manufacturer...
alphavictor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:11   #51
BHPian

Carwatcher in my opinion just take an experienced mechanic with you and get the car checked. If the mechanic gives you a green signal then I dont see any problem with buying the car. Also for some extra price you can manage to get the service advisors from honda or the mechanics then even better.
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:34   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Well I didn't ask the seller about the manufacturing country of the cars but I did ask him about his other business and he is steel exporter (or importer maybe, I can't recollect). So cars being imported from Thailand is very much possible, but what about Hyundai and Volvo.
As you are saying he is not a car dealer but Importer- Exporter, therefore he must have bought and Imported whatever cars in good condition weather Honda or Hyundai.
Cars at JNPT( Jawahar lal Nehru port trust ) means they are Imports.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:52   #53
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Cars at JNPT( Jawahar lal Nehru port trust ) means they are Imports.
Could they also mean Exports?
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:14   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Could they also mean Exports?
Dear Mas you may be are right ? but when has Honda and Volvo started exporting cars ?
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 17:44   #55

Flood affected vehicles for sure - could be from Japan - a lot of car factories were effect by the tsunami - i remember seeing a lot of photos online of flooded car factories and destroyed stock.

as someone mentioned earlier , definitely insurance write off . must have been imported for scrapping however seeing the condition the dealer would be selling these off
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 20:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

I feel that after the interest this thread had generated, there may be few T-BHPians who would've gone to their yard and seen and checked the cars, if not bought one. If someone has done that then requesting him/her to kindly post their experience for the benefit for all of us.

Last edited by carwatcher : 25th December 2011 at 20:26.
Old 25th December 2011, 22:52   #57
BHPian

Here is something I found while searching for relevant information on this topic. This might help clear a few ideas being drawn here.

Honda to destroy 1400 cars including City sedan and Brio hatchback which were damaged during recent Thai floods | Rush Lane

Can this just be a market bluff, and thus such cars ending up with some not-so-legit dealer in India? Possible, but very unlikely. For one, as mentioned, that would "tarnish our long-standing reputation."

However, what seems to point at this possibility is the fact that this dealer, as well as Honda representatives, referring to these cars as "Flood Affected". Apart from the above referred Thailand flood, no other incident seems to fit this explanation.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 25th December 2011 at 22:56.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 23:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
However, what seems to point at this possibility is the fact that this dealer, as well as Honda representatives, referring to these cars as "Flood Affected". Apart from the above referred Thailand flood, no other incident seems to fit this explanation.
'Flood' here need not be a major flood which has made news but they can be waterlogged stockyards in a low laying area, which get affected even by non seasonal, moderate rains.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 20:07   #59
BHPian

less than a couple of months back I was offered the foll cars, all for 40 lakhs

5 hyundai i10 - petrol
5 hyundai i20 - petrol
1 hyundai i20 asta - diesel
2 hyundai verna fluidic - petrol
1 hyundai verna fluidic - diesel
1 Hyundai Santa Fe - diesel

All cars brand new with 0kms on clock. Reason given was that the cars were lying in the yard and water seeped in during rains because the area is low lying. Was also informed that there was no water inside the cabin of any of the car. I did show initial interest and booked a inspection.

Next day the guy called and said there is a Honda City also . I asked him what was a brand new City doing in a Hyundai yard. He had no answer and I hung up.

My 2 cents - Stay away
Pashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 00:21   #60
BHPian

I stay at vasai, and also i have seen trailers with Honda name on it.
I think, i know their vasai stockyard.I will pay them a visit with a friend who is an automobile expert who is also an member here and lets see what they have to show.
pratheekkunder is offline   Reply With Quote