Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2012, 18:26   #61
BHPian

Default re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All the 3.0 X3 has over the 2.0 is the BRILLIANT engine, performance which will leave many many cars for dust. Also a bigger Idrive screen, sports steering wheel with paddles, a different body kit, 18" rims, and an automatic tailgate.

Considering it will be for vacation travel the X3 makes sense since its got loads of clearance and the xdrive is pretty good for most situations. The X1 and Q3 would be a little small for a vacation car.

The start stop I don't think can be turned of permanently.

Also if the X3 is turning out expensive, there is the Audi Q5 base model at some 35l ex showroom. Worth a look.
Quote:
All the 3.0 X3 has over the 2.0 is the BRILLIANT engine, performance which will leave many many cars for dust. Also a bigger Idrive screen, sports steering wheel with paddles, a different body kit, 18" rims, and an automatic tailgate.

Considering it will be for vacation travel the X3 makes sense since its got loads of clearance and the xdrive is pretty good for most situations. The X1 and Q3 would be a little small for a vacation car.

The start stop I don't think can be turned of permanently.

Also if the X3 is turning out expensive, there is the Audi Q5 base model at some 35l ex showroom. Worth a look.
Would like to make a correction : The X3 30d does not have the paddle shifters, no change in the wheels or the body kit. I myself once considered to buy the new X3 as against the 530d but found it to be less feature loaded, no HUD, no Nav , no sportstronic, no rear seat entertainment and compromised performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I agree the features are more in 3.0 and if 2.0 did not have xenons, panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. I would have considered 3.0. Does 3.0 come with Navigation as standard? NAV+HUD would be an awesome feature.

Also I am no fan of this auto start/stop feature - can this be turned off permanently?

I need this car mainly for vacation travel apart from helping me maintain that elusive calmness in the super chaotic Bangalore traffic. Lot of vacation spots have very poor last mile connectivity.
NAV only works in the 530d and the 7 line up and the HUD is there in the 530,7 and 640d.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:37   #62
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Would like to make a correction : The X3 30d does not have the paddle shifters, no change in the wheels or the body kit. I myself once considered to buy the new X3 as against the 530d but found it to be less feature loaded, no HUD, no Nav , no sportstronic, no rear seat entertainment and compromised performance.

NAV only works in the 530d and the 7 line up and the HUD is there in the 530,7 and 640d.
Would like to correct you back
http://www.bmw.in/in/en/newvehicles/...?download=true
Check the link. Surely the BMW spec sheet doesn't lie. You were obviously not told the correct info. The paddle shifters are not there, your right about that.

As for compromised performance, do you have the upgraded 2012 530d? The X3 has the 258bhp engine and the 0-100 time of 6.2 seconds is .1 second faster than the 530d which was sold until last month. Of course the 530d with the 258bhp engine has a timing of 6.1 seconds.

BTW navigation can also work on the 3 series which has the larger iDrive screen and will also be possible on the X3 3.0. But it is a paid accessory and costs 50k+.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah, everyone agrees that X3 is not appointed as well as 530D. Going for it just for the ground clearance mainly - to me it is the closest I can get to a nice sedan with good GC.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to correct you back
http://www.bmw.in/in/en/newvehicles/...?download=true
Check the link. Surely the BMW spec sheet doesn't lie. You were obviously not told the correct info. The paddle shifters are not there, your right about that.

As for compromised performance, do you have the upgraded 2012 530d? The X3 has the 258bhp engine and the 0-100 time of 6.2 seconds is .1 second faster than the 530d which was sold until last month. Of course the 530d with the 258bhp engine has a timing of 6.1 seconds.

BTW navigation can also work on the 3 series which has the larger iDrive screen and will also be possible on the X3 3.0. But it is a paid accessory and costs 50k+.
Yes, I do have the updated one. I have tried to use the NAV in the X3 and it is not even available as an option in it. CKD cars cannot be loaded with any optional stuff, I wanted the comfort access feature loaded for about 60K but the dealership refused saying that since the 530 is a CKD , I can't get that fitted here. Only CBUs allows all the permutations and combinations. I am quite surprised to know the 3 can have a working Nav in India.

Audi is still fighting with the Indian govt. on the NAV issue where the govt. have instructed them to tie up with Mapmyindia.

Anyway the GC reason is very well taken considering the lovely roads in India. X3 is surely a good option.
Berry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:26   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree the features are more in 3.0 and if 2.0 did not have xenons, panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. I would have considered 3.0. Does 3.0 come with Navigation as standard? NAV+HUD would be an awesome feature.
If you’re not highly particular about the engine, I personally feel the 2.0 is more than sufficient for Indian roads. Other than the variance in engine, feature-wise I doubt if the premium is well justified. As per the spec. sheet in BMW India website, even the 2.0 comes with iDrive (slightly smaller screen compared to 3.0), panoramic sunroof, xenons etc. And I think the ride in the 2.0 will be better with the 17” wheels (v/s 18” in the higher variant).
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

I guess this statement would be appropriate basis the no of people that one is transporting on vacation along with of course, the luggage.
In my particular case with just the 2 of us, I think either of these cars would serve very well indeed as a vacation car, the same as the Yeti is, as of this moment! I would look forward one day to owning a Q3 with all the bells and whistles - a perfect upgrade for me, I think, to the bigger brother brand, from the same stable!

And Androdev, have you at all considered a Volvo XC60 or XC90?
You might do well to simply take a look at either!

Quote:
The X1 and Q3 would be a little small for a vacation car.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:23   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I do have the updated one. I have tried to use the NAV in the X3 and it is not even available as an option in it. CKD cars cannot be loaded with any optional stuff, I wanted the comfort access feature loaded for about 60K but the dealership refused saying that since the 530 is a CKD , I can't get that fitted here. Only CBUs allows all the permutations and combinations. I am quite surprised to know the 3 can have a working Nav in India.

Anyway the GC reason is very well taken considering the lovely roads in India. X3 is surely a good option.
Believe me it can be fitted on the CKD cars with the larger Idrive screen. I've seen it fitted on the demo car in Bombay.

Your 530d has comfort access as standard, why would you want to fit it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I guess this statement would be appropriate basis the no of people that one is transporting on vacation along with of course, the luggage.
In my particular case with just the 2 of us, I think either of these cars would serve very well indeed as a vacation car, the same as the Yeti is, as of this moment! I would look forward one day to owning a Q3 with all the bells and whistles - a perfect upgrade for me, I think, to the bigger brother brand, from the same stable!

And Androdev, have you at all considered a Volvo XC60 or XC90?
You might do well to simply take a look at either!
I only meant that for Androdev since its his thread, and not in general. Everyones needs vary. Not saying the Yeti or Q3 are too small in general, for some people they are perfect and for some with larger families may be a bit small. I think 5 in an X3 would be much more comfortable than in an X1.

The XC60 is overpriced, and the XC90 will have great discounts but it really looks dated now.
Old 4th February 2012, 01:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Your 530d has comfort access as standard, why would you want to fit it?
Nope, mine doesn't have the Comfort Access Features :-(
Old 4th February 2012, 02:26   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope, mine doesn't have the Comfort Access Features :-(
Are you serious? You have to put the key into the slot? Comfort access is keyless entry.
Old 4th February 2012, 07:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you serious? You have to put the key into the slot? Comfort access is keyless entry.
Comfort access is more than not having to keep the key in its slot. Current 5 in India still requires you to use the remote to luck/unlock the doors - autocop style. I prefer it this way, feels safer!
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 19:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Another weekend, another update. No progress though. Test drove X3.

Interiors:
As soon as I sat inside I wanted to get out! Sorry but this thing costs more than 5-series and there is no way I can forgive BMW about how the cabin has been put together. Maybe BMW got the 5-series so damn perfect that X3 stands no chance. X3 dash has been put together by 3 departments (left, center and right) without knowing what other one is doing and each part looks equally hopeless. Most the storage places have hard plastic unlike the 5-series that has felt lining everywhere.

However as we know there are no perfect cars (5-series lacks GC for Indian roads) I decided to overlook it. Especially as a knowledgeable BMW customer, one should not really expect to be impressed by the cabin. 5-series is an exception I guess.

Ride:
Very noisy. Plenty of road noise and plenty of wind noise if you touch 70-ish kmph. Overall effect is that the car lets you know the speed very easily. Whereas in the 5-series, looking at the speedo is the only way to tell the speed. On our family trips I remember kids and wife eating snacks and reading story books and stuff that you need to do to keep the children engaged - all this while I was driving the car at good speeds. The difference here is night and day. The engine noise is not insulated and all the roughness of 2.0 diesel gets in to the cabin. If you are careless with your cargo packing, that noise also will get in (unlike sedan where cargo is not connected to the cabin)

On the positive side:
It has good suspension/ride, handling manners, engine and transmission combo. Typical BMW. Very spacious and good seating position. Much better than X1.

But hugely let down by lack of interior refinement and NVH aspects - especially given that it costs more than 5-series.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 19:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:

Ride:
Very noisy. Plenty of road noise and plenty of wind noise if you touch 70-ish kmph. Overall effect is that the car lets you know the speed very easily. Whereas in the 5-series, looking at the speedo is the only way to tell the speed. On our family trips I remember kids and wife eating snacks and reading story books and stuff that you need to do to keep the children engaged - all this while I was driving the car at good speeds. The difference here is night and day. The engine noise is not insulated and all the roughness of 2.0 diesel gets in to the cabin. If you are careless with your cargo packing, that noise also will get in (unlike sedan where cargo is not connected to the cabin)

But hugely let down by lack of interior refinement and NVH aspects - especially given that it costs more than 5-series.
See I told you, compromised performance. Didn't you feel the 20d to be sluggish ? Buy the Freelander and that must solve your problem.
Old 4th February 2012, 21:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See I told you, compromised performance. Didn't you feel the 20d to be sluggish ? Buy the Freelander and that must solve your problem.
The same 2 liter that does duty in 520d feels much more relaxed and somehow you never feel you are working it hard. But the same 2 liter felt pretty harsh in the X3. Of course I never tested a 3.0 so I never know - but even discounting the engine noise, there is much more going on with road noise and wind noise.

If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that X3 is one generation older than F10.

Somewhere I read a review that said X3 has a better NVH than Q5 - that is a bit scary. Let me check it out.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:42   #74
BHPian

Somehow I never could understand the concept of crossovers. They feel like cars, pretend to be SUVs and the GC is a bit more than the cars. You should look at proper SUVs and it will definitely serve your purpose. I have run my Endeavour on such surfaces where any present day crossover would shy away. I am not in to off-roading but our country's roads are normally off roads. :-Da
Old 16th February 2012, 09:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Have given up on SUV/Crossover as I have realized they are no match to sedans when it comes to cabin+ride refinement.

Test drove the E and I am keen on picking it up - but my jinx of decision making paralysis is still continuing. Even though I know BMW 5 series is better spec'ed and more fun and VFM - I need a car with good ground clearance and excellent cabin refinement and E is very good in this respect. So the good news is I have decided to pick up E, but confused about the variant.

Sundaram Bangalore dealership has a Sep-2010 old stock E200 CGI elegance going at a decent discount. Say about 8-9 lakhs on road price difference. I might be able to get it at 40L + insurance cost (say 41.5L OTR in Bangalore).

The 220 CDI elegance with COMMAND is available at approx 49.3 L OTR (can be discounted up to 48L OTR).

200 CGI COMMAND is 52.2L OTR (did check the discount on this)

These are my thoughts:

1. Why buy a 2010 stock!! I would like to think of 200 CGI as a used car with 2yr warranty and a bargain deal. I suspect this car somehow missed the 'season' and after that no one was buying because these guys are not giving good discount on it. It was offered to me in Q4 2011 as well, but that time I was not interested in E. Now I am keen on E and prefer 200 CGI due to its excellent drive and refinement compared to 220 CDI. I inspected the car (did not drive it) and it looks legit.

2. 220 CDI is boring to drive. No fun. Period. But has the diesel advantage of resale/running costs. Fresh stock and comes with COMMAND. But I am OK without command as long as I have bluetooth and USB/MP3 interface which 200-CGI has.

3. What baffled me is 200 CGI OTR price is nearly 3L more than 220 CDI (52.2 vs 49.3 before discounts)! I always thought petrols are cheaper!

Any thoughts?
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread