Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:59   #256
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Test drove the Linea 125 and the Abarth.
=====
seating position viz a viz the steering may take some time getting used...overall liked it
====
Next drove the abarth and it was explosive, torque steer even in 3rd gear!! With that power other aspects of ergonomics didnt matter.

The seating position viz v steering would take some time to get adjusted but you will .

Go for linea of you want :
1) Bigger boot (500 L)
2) Bigger and more comfortable seats
3) Auto headlamp, rain sensing wipers, Leather seats
4) Better rear leg space
5) Better GC
6) Dual tone interiors
7) Wider tyres

Go for abarth of you want breathtaking power and slightly better handling. Also the Abarth should be able to return better FE owing to a lot better power to weight ratio.

The foot well does feel cramped but IMO it's something that needs getting used to. A lot of tall people I know drive the punto/Linea without any problems. Take multiple and longer TDs to make yourself sure of it.

Also the interiors might look smaller because of the following reasons :
1) Bigger and thicker seats compared to the competition. In fact the rear seats come with metal guards to increase safety during an accident
2) The engine area has forgiven some space for safety point being there is a good gap between the radiator and the front bonnet.
3) The sheet metal used in the fiats is the thickest so the doors are wider than competition.
4) 16' wheels from day 1

Anyday Japs are better in utilizing the space inside. Look at Jazz but then other things get compromised. The seats in Jazz look tiny and very thin.

If you are interested in 2015 Dec manufactured Abarth make sure to do a thorough PDI, get the tyres changed and you are good to go.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th April 2017 at 10:27. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 10:15   #257
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Test drove the Linea 125 and the Abarth.

Started of with the Linea- did not really feel that much slower than the optra but of course its relative- Loved the handling, the ride.
Interiors are smaller than I expected..main problem was the footwell- with my shoesize being 11 the clutch and dead pedal can interfere a lot...seating position viz a viz the steering may take some time getting used...overall liked it

Next drove the abarth and it was explosive, torque steer even in 3rd gear!! With that power other aspects of ergonomics didnt matter.

They are selling 2015 Nov/Dec manufactured abarth's for a discount of 1.2 lakhs and the Linea comes at ~11.9..More confusion now
Do check out the latest 'S' versions of Ford Figo and Aspire.

Like the Fiesta S, they have actual retuned suspension for sporty driving.

They now look better and more importantly drive better too.
Flash777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 14:24   #258
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Do check out the latest 'S' versions of Ford Figo and Aspire.

Like the Fiesta S, they have actual retuned suspension for sporty driving.

They now look better and more importantly drive better too.
I agree the Figo twins are good options and they are there at the back of my mind. Only issue is that when I sit in either of them they are a whole size smaller/segment smaller compared to what I want. Of course the engine, performance and now handling are right up there
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 00:04   #259
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Hi Guys,

I have been meaning to upgrade from my Punto emotion pack 2010. With the haps and koreans not being an option for personal reasons, the only options available in hatch backs were Punto Abarth and Polo GT-TSi. Me and better half, test drove both multiple times and I liked both ( VW predominantly for the DSG and its convenience in the crazy mumbai traffic )

But my better half was not too comfortable/ not confident with the torque steer that happened every time she tried to drive abarth with a hard foot the way she does the Punto when needed.

Out of kicks, we Td'ed the 125s Jet available in the showroom (Landmark Fiat at Worli) and boy is the car a big big leap up from the 2009 Linea petrol we have. Strangely after the TD, the better half who was so pumped up about the AT on Polo was prepared to take the manual route with the 125s for all the things it offers, space predominantly. More so as both the cars are costing round about the same.

I know an AT is the need of the hour in mumbai, especially with the DSG and 1.2 TSi combo, But somehow not able to shrug off the Lines 125 s from our minds.

Attaching a list of the advantages and disadvantages of both the 125s and TSi, but still unsure about which one to go ahead with.

Lack of clarity about fiats future but a big spacious albeit manual car or a car with expensive maintenance costs but a feature rich pocket rocket...


Help!!!!

PS: Looking to book the car in the next 10 days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Linea 125s vs TSI.pdf (34.2 KB, 206 views)
MihirC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 00:21   #260
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 262 Times
Default

So now the Abarth is out of the list. I guess you just need to decide on whether you want an auto or not. If yes then there is nothing better than the GT. For manual petrol fiat it should be.

The 125s actually provides a good bang for the buck as it provides more space, big boot, leather seats and features like auto headlamp, rain sensing vipers, cruise control while still giving you the abarth fun.

Fiat isn't leaving anywhere buddy, though I don't speculate any new launches at least till 2019. They have fresh contracts with Maruti and Tata for their diesel engines and Jeep is coming.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 07:45   #261
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
So now the Abarth is out of the list. I guess you just need to decide on whether you want an auto or not. If yes then there is nothing better than the GT. For manual petrol fiat it should be.

The 125s actually provides a good bang for the buck as it provides more space, big boot, leather seats and features like auto headlamp, rain sensing vipers, cruise control while still giving you the abarth fun.

Fiat isn't leaving anywhere buddy, though I don't speculate any new launches at least till 2019. They have fresh contracts with Maruti and Tata for their diesel engines and Jeep is coming.
Thanks man! atleast a part of the confusion is cleared. Well, ,Better half couldn't just handle the aggressive acceleration/braking apart from the torque steer so yeah , No matter how much i Love it, Abarth definitely out.
MihirC is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:27   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Lack of clarity about fiats future but a big spacious albeit manual car or a car with expensive maintenance costs but a feature rich pocket rocket.
This is interesting...!!!

Fiat is not going anywhere from India because they need not. Their engine plant and contracts supply enough dough to their retail sales going and will continue to do so for a long time. Also, their retail front helps them hold on to the market till they decide to introduce new products/EVs/Hybrids etc which all OEMs will, in the near future.

Maintaining a Polo wont be prohibitively expensive and there are examples on the forum where people are very happy with them.

To me, the question here (apart from the AT Vs MT battle which doesn't seem to bother you a lot) is the space and the ergonomics.

While Linea is definitely more spacious than the Polo a few ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. The Polo is cramped by today's hatchback standards but is an ergonomic delight.

Finally, it sounds like you and your wife are passionate drivers who are ok with a manual tranny and hence, as long as you find the T-Jet's performance satisfying (remaps are also possible), I'd recommend the Jet to you.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 09:59   #263
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is interesting...!!!

Fiat is not going anywhere from India because they need not. Their engine plant and contracts supply enough dough to their retail sales going and will continue to do so for a long time. Also, their retail front helps them hold on to the market till they decide to introduce new products/EVs/Hybrids etc which all OEMs will, in the near future.

Maintaining a Polo wont be prohibitively expensive and there are examples on the forum where people are very happy with them.

To me, the question here (apart from the AT Vs MT battle which doesn't seem to bother you a lot) is the space and the ergonomics.

While Linea is definitely more spacious than the Polo a few ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. The Polo is cramped by today's hatchback standards but is an ergonomic delight.

Finally, it sounds like you and your wife are passionate drivers who are ok with a manual tranny and hence, as long as you find the T-Jet's performance satisfying (remaps are also possible), I'd recommend the Jet to you.
With the JEEP and the sky high demand for diesels by Marutithe company will definitely exist , but will the brand exist as well, in relation to spares??

Well we started looking for a new car primarily to have an automatic. The traffic in mumbai is , to put simply, LETHAL. I live in south bombay, Dadar/Prabhadevi area if you are aware, and in the evening, getting out of my complex and reaching the signal which is less than 40-50 mtrs away takes around 20 minutes.


It was turning out to be a no brainer between abarth and polo in terms of practicality in mumbai, AT, small car, punchy engine etc etc, but with the cost of 125s turning out to be cheaper than the polo GT, the equation changed drastically. its like a death lock.

The issue now is whether to grin and bear and maybe even curse going for an awesome but manual car after 3 years or going for an AT and wondering how awesome the bigger spacious line would have felt.

Last edited by MihirC : 24th May 2017 at 10:03. Reason: Typo error.
MihirC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:31   #264
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,729
Thanked: 15,782 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
My Punto emotion pack 2010

2009 Linea petrol we have.
Don't get me wrong, but the way I see it - In 2009 you bought the sedan with a 1.4L petrol engine. In 2010, you bought the hatchback version of the same car with the same engine and similar interiors.

In 2017 - You are planning to exchange the hatchback, for the facelift version of the same car you bought 8 years ago in 2009, with similar interiors and features, but with the turbocharged 1.4L engine?

Personally - I would have either replaced the Linea petrol with the 125S and retained the Punto for city use. Please note that you are spending the big money only for the engine and uprated power and otherwise essentially its the same car. Or replaced the Punto with the GT TSi as the pocket rocket and retained the Linea for the sedan needs.

Given the traffic scenario you describe, the GT is a much more suited car in this scenario IMHO.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:13   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
With the JEEP and the sky high demand for diesels by Marutithe company will definitely exist , but will the brand exist as well, in relation to spares??
It will, with both sales and spare part support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
The issue now is whether to grin and bear and maybe even curse going for an awesome but manual car after 3 years or going for an AT and wondering how awesome the bigger spacious line would have felt.
Ideally, nothing beats an AT when it comes to convenience but you seem like an enthusiastic owner who would not, for example, buy a City. Would you?

Also, another smart decision would be to buy a pre owned T-Jet for the fun of driving it when you can and feel like and a new Nano AMT for your daily grind. Given the kind of traffic you have mentioned, you will not be able to enjoy the GT as well, 80% of the time.

PS: I do not advocate driving an MT as your daily commute in the areas you have mentioned though I m not a Bombay traffic expert.

Last edited by n.devdath : 24th May 2017 at 11:14.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:22   #266
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Don't get me wrong, but the way I see it - In 2009 you bought the sedan with a 1.4L petrol engine. In 2010, you bought the hatchback version of the same car with the same engine and similar interiors.

In 2017 - You are planning to exchange the hatchback, for the facelift version of the same car you bought 8 years ago in 2009, with similar interiors and features, but with the turbocharged 1.4L engine?

Personally - I would have either replaced the Linea petrol with the 125S and retained the Punto for city use. Please note that you are spending the big money only for the engine and uprated power and otherwise essentially its the same car. Or replaced the Punto with the GT TSi as the pocket rocket and retained the Linea for the sedan needs.

Given the traffic scenario you describe, the GT is a much more suited car in this scenario IMHO.
Thanks for replying Crazy driver- forgot to mention one thing, the Linea is completely and solely taken up by my dad for driving. So the only car to be exchanged is my Punto 1.4.

Last edited by MihirC : 24th May 2017 at 13:46. Reason: Typo error
MihirC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 13:40   #267
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Confused between a Fiat Linea 125s and VW Polo Gt-TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It will, with both sales and spare part support.


Ideally, nothing beats an AT when it comes to convenience but you seem like an enthusiastic owner who would not, for example, buy a City. Would you?



Also, another smart decision would be to buy a pre owned T-Jet for the fun of driving it when you can and feel like and a new Nano AMT for your daily grind. Given the kind of traffic you have mentioned, you will not be able to enjoy the GT as well, 80% of the time.


PS: I do not advocate driving an MT as your daily commute in the areas you have mentioned though I m not a Bombay traffic expert.

I would never go for the city, for all the beauty and finesse etc etc, the cvt is a disappointment for me as an individual, also without the cvt it's just too light a car for me, FE be damned lol"

"Although tempting preowned is not an option for me, it's scary to say the least as being a car enthusiast for me does translate into technical competency. The 125s and Nano Amt as and when required seems like a viable option. Will be testdriving the 125s in traffic again today evening. Fingers crossed
MihirC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 14:22   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,580
Thanked: 1,171 Times
Default Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Honestly, once you switch to an AT, there is just no going back unless you literally have no traffic on your route.
I can manage a MT in Mumbai for my daily commute, but if there is going to be a lot of traffic (such as WEH during weekdays peak hour, or so), I would push for the AT - by the time you reach home you have so much more energy and patience, it is remarkable.
So it all depends on your commute honestly.

If you're ok with MT (say the odd traffic days only but a relatively smooth commute otherwise) - then get the Linea as you and your wife have your heart set on it.

But if you face a lot of traffic - then rethink getting an automatic, or at least a compact pre-owned AT for those days when you need it. Quite a few corolla's with low kms and AT transmissions are going for around 15-16L (comparable to city almost) - if you want to stay away from DSG woes - this could be your best bet.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 20:46   #269
BHPian
 
MihirC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, once you switch to an AT, there is just no going back unless you literally have no traffic on your route.
I can manage a MT in Mumbai for my daily commute, but if there is going to be a lot of traffic (such as WEH during weekdays peak hour, or so), I would push for the AT - by the time you reach home you have so much more energy and patience, it is remarkable.
So it all depends on your commute honestly.

If you're ok with MT (say the odd traffic days only but a relatively smooth commute otherwise) - then get the Linea as you and your wife have your heart set on it.

But if you face a lot of traffic - then rethink getting an automatic, or at least a compact pre-owned AT for those days when you need it. Quite a few corolla's with low kms and AT transmissions are going for around 15-16L (comparable to city almost) - if you want to stay away from DSG woes - this could be your best bet.
Well that kind of helps me streamline my thoughts, thanks Lamborghini.

I have my own business so it is not that i have to go on the WEH or EEH during the traffic hours everyday and theres no fixed commute. But i was talking about these certain bottle decks near my place and the overall degeneration of traffic in mumbai nowadays , what with the road and metro work all the time.

Night outs are always ola or uber, maturity sets in in the mid 30's or when you spend too much paying fines, whichevers earlier

Now thats sorted, will test both the polo GT and 125 s for ease of parking in my complex ( 15 wings, almost 80 cars and no fixed parking slots), but thats gonna be a no brainer i think.

Im getting a sense of clarity now. Have a final meeting with the Landmark guys ( Fiat) either tomorrow or on saturday to get the final quote, though both VW and Fiat have informed that the car will be delivered anywhere between 3-15 days.

Any idea on maintenance costs for GT TSI??
MihirC is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 22:48   #270
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/ Trichy
Posts: 364
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Any idea on maintenance costs for GT TSI??
Around 9-11 thousand rupees (every 15,000km or year whichever is earlier) for service .
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Hand car in Calcutta upto 3.5 Lakhs Amartya Sedans 15 25th October 2009 23:03
Budget upto 8 Lakhs On Road - What car? prskumar Sedans 3 30th March 2008 09:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks