Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 2nd November 2013, 13:14   #16

Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
before you decide please take the test drive of Polo GT TSi. You might change your decision :-).
Ever since we got home the first generation Laura, i am a huge fan of the DSG gearbox, hence we currently own a Audi A6 with it, unfortunately I have lost trust in german petrols as the fuel efficiency can drop below 10kmpl if driven hard which is the whole purpose of this purchase. I test drove the GT TSI on the first week of launch and I was shocked to see MFD displaying 7kmpl on the contrary one has to try hard to get under 10kmpl on the 1.6 TDI.

Last edited by manson : 2nd November 2013 at 15:25. Reason: Fixed Quote
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:15   #17

My vote goes to the GT and, believe me, that has nothing to do with the fact that I have one.

It's a fantastic bit of kit.

The engine from its bigger brother and cousin is so much more rewarding when you put it on that 49 kg diet they have.

You said it yourself, boot space isn't a bone of contention. That makes a really good case for the little Polo, doesn't it?

I don't know if fuel efficiency is something we talk about on a forum full of leadfoots like ourselves but, I've been getting a consistent 12.5 in the city. Bear in mind, my air conditioner's always on 16 degrees and I drive through some of Mumbai's most infamous bottlenecks to get to work.

The sprint time may be listed as 10 seconds to 100 but what that figure doesn't tell you is how it gets there. You get knocked back with almost rocketship like thrust if you give the rightmost pedal some muscle.

That's all I've got, really.
MH01BK0676 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Ever since we got home the first generation Laura, i am a huge fan of the DSG gearbox, hence we currently own a Audi A6 with it, unfortunately I have lost trust in german petrols as the fuel efficiency can drop below 10kmpl if driven hard which is the whole purpose of this purchase. I test drove the GT TSI on the first week of launch and I was shocked to see MFD displaying 7kmpl on the contrary one has to try hard to get under 10kmpl on the 1.6 TDI.
In that case you could go for Polo GT TDi, and use the extra money in doing the following modifications
- Get better tyres(like michelin P3ST 195/60/R15) ~ 15K(for 5 tyres after exchange)
- Tune-O-Tronics ECU remap ~ 30K
- Bilstein B6 suspensions ~ 50K(not very sure)
- OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus H4 60/55 ~ 1K
- 3D Kagu mats ~ 5k
shetty_rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I test drove the GT TSI on the first week of launch and I was shocked to see MFD displaying 7kmpl on the contrary one has to try hard to get under 10kmpl on the 1.6 TDI.
1.2 TSI might cost Rs 5-6K extra per month on fuel compared to 1.6 TDI. TSI model doesn't have extended warranty option. Other than these two disadvantage, tsi+dsg has no match in that price range.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I am in a bit of a dilema too. I currently own a VW Polo 1.6 and looking at the Skoda Rapid as my second car. Now the current Rapid is pretty bare bones and I believe the new 2014 Rapid is due to launch (or has it launched?) with an updated engine, multi function steering wheel and projector headlamps. However the petrol engine is not a TSI and the auto is not a DSG, not yet at least. I know the Vento now comes with a 1.2 TSI engine with a 7-speed DSG. I prefer a petrol car but would need to consider the diesel for the turbo if they do not plan to launch a TSI engined Rapid. So I do not know what to do.

Is anyone aware if Skoda will equip the Rapid with a TSI engine especially since the Vento has got one? Is the DSG gearbox on the cards too? I expect to purchase the car by Jan 2014 only because of the updated Rapid but do not want to rush into it if a TSI & DSG is expected too. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Epic : 3rd November 2013 at 16:38.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hey guys,

I am in a bit of a dilema too. I currently own a VW Polo 1.6 and looking at the Skoda Rapid as my second car. Now the current Rapid is pretty bare bones and I believe the new 2014 Rapid is due to launch (or has it launched?) with an updated engine, multi function steering wheel and projector headlamps. However the petrol engine is not a TSI and the auto is not a DSG, not yet at least. I know the Vento now comes with a 1.2 TSI engine with a 7-speed DSG. I prefer a petrol car but would need to consider the diesel for the turbo if they do not plan to launch a TSI engined Rapid. So I do not know what to do.

Is anyone aware if Skoda will equip the Rapid with a TSI engine especially since the Vento has got one? Is the DSG gearbox on the cards too? I expect to purchase the car by Jan 2014 only because of the updated Rapid but do not want to rush into it if a TSI & DSG is expected too. Any suggestions?
After all the Rapid 1.6 TDI might be a better choice considering the added weight of the DSG/boot and lesser torque output of the 1.2TSi.
If refinement is your main concern its worth waiting.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:47   #22
BHPian

I know I am due for an ownership report but I just can't stop coming off from the car. It's been 10 days and I have already completed 1500+ KMS.

The rear bench is at a premium compared to the Rapid, thanks to its shorter wheelbase compared to the Rapid.
However, the short wheelbase of the Polo works in its favor in the following areas

1) Car is more throwable
2) Gives an impression of FUN to DRIVE
3) When we clear the speed-breakers, the rear wheel catches up faster. You end up clearing the speed-breakers better

While my family might not get the reason for moving to a smaller car. I am having a blast, driving the GT TDi

1) It's got an excellent power to weight ratio
2) It's a proven engine with plenty of re-mappifactions available
3) Excellent mod potential

TSi might be a great option as well (Amazing gear box), but during my test drive of the TSi at insane speeds I saw the fuel gauge drop like crazy. While I don't care about fuel efficiency, the GT TDi offers a longer driving range at high speeds

Couple of immediate mods that are needed for the car are,
1) Good dampers for better cornering (Bilstein B14s seem to be a good option)
2) Better shoes, the stock Apollos apart from being noisy are not bad for Indian road conditions

For the brave souls, a remap would certainly spice things up

To sum it up, I love my GT TDi

Last edited by raajks : 4th November 2013 at 08:52.
raajks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 12:55   #23

I am astonished to see many people who claim to not care about fuel efficiency and yet choose the GT TDi over the GT TSi which is equipped with the super quick DSG,ESP,Hill hold etc which makes it a overall better car for them.
Barron is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 14:11   #24
BHPian

The amount of torque that you get from this smooth revving diesel motor was good enough to clinch the deal for me. With a stage 1 remap, I hear it can take the figures to 320nm of torque, that potential is more important than fuel efficiency.

So this is not just a claim of "not being bothered about fuel efficiency" but it is my choice to go with a more torquey offering.

When VW offers a Polo R with a 2.0 TFSI engine, I will be up for it!
Till then, GT TDi rules my world!

Last edited by raajks : 4th November 2013 at 14:20.
raajks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 09:45   #25
BHPian

Yesterday 4 like minded people went for test drive of GT TDI ,belive me all fell in love the very movement we put our legs on the clutch.You could feel the power of the engine on the clutch.Two among us were spell bound when one of our friend took a 'U' turn just keeping the steering in one angle to check the grip and corner handling of the car.Its simple amazing car.Drivers dream car on Indian roads.
Mind blowing engineering in a small hatch.
Had a sleepless night making me think numbers to exchange my Punto for this beast.
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 17:06   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am astonished to see many people who claim to not care about fuel efficiency and yet choose the GT TDi over the GT TSi
Don't be astonished, buddy

My monthly kms / car are nothing like they were 3 years back and honestly, I don't care too much for FE (Civic + redline = 6 - 7 kpl). Still, I'd buy the GT TDI over the TSI any which day. Reason : Manual transmission, torque advantage & longer tank range (in that order).

Fuel efficiency isn't important to me. But if it's part of the package, who's complaining??!!

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2013 at 17:08.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:29   #27

Talking Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't be astonished, buddy

My monthly kms / car are nothing like they were 3 years back and honestly, I don't care too much for FE (Civic + redline = 6 - 7 kpl). Still, I'd buy the GT TDI over the TSI any which day. Reason : Manual transmission, torque advantage & longer tank range (in that order).

Fuel efficiency isn't important to me. But if it's part of the package, who's complaining??!!
If Your monthly milage is low i can understand why one doesn't prioritise fuel efficiency. In fact i am in the same boat as you, totally happy with my honda and its redline-ability but i absolutely don't see a point in owning a unrefined not so fun to drive, gas guzzling hatchback (polo 1.6 petrol,even when driven sedately) in the case of 1.6TDi its best of both power and FE.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:35   #28
BHPian

I just read the whole thread from the start to the end. I have rated it 5-star.

The hard-work and attention to the detail shows. Well done Ganesh. Keep the info flowing.
wanderhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 08:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why no VW GT TSI? If you are looking for fun behind the wheel and convenience, there is nothing to beat this car. Take the GT Tsi for a spin and then decide what works for you.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hello there.

I am looking to purchase either the new Rapid elegance which costs 11.90L including extended warranty or the Polo GT TDI which costs 9.5L with standard 2year warranty OTR Bangalore after discounts, After test driving both i feel the Rapid’s cabin is more silent, has stiffer suspension,comes equipped with projector headlights and no turbo lag, hence seems like a lot more VFM, with it being just 49kg heavier.........
......... i don’t see the use of the boot and extra legroom on the Rapid regularly, although it may be useful on occasional highway journey. please let me know which is a better VFM buy.
Hey so did you make the big decision ?
If not, I tell you what as this is your second car you should choose the car that will bring a smile on your face every time you see it. During those tough days at work and your personal lifes, its the car that makes me feel good, feel positive, gives a feeling that all will be right eventually. Basically choose the one that you love from the lot you mentioned.

Now making a more logical case , I am sure the Skoda Rapid will be replaced with the new one shortly in India and the new model will definitely be much different in shape and engineering from the existing one.

Vento TDi, the only issue that I have heard from my friends and my own personal experience is its heavy clutch which vibrates quite heavily to give a real good work out for your calf muscles.

Now the 3rd option, Polo GT Tdi, I own one so I may look biased, but I try not to be in presenting my case. As many pointed out here,it is the most powerful hatch back, cheaper than vento / Rapid by around 1.5 L to 2 L but has the same engine, the Gear box and the clutch are smooth than Vento / Rapid. It has the same engine spec of a top end Renault Duster / Nissan Terrano, but you get at a much cheaper price than them.
There are rumors of new 1.5 L engine Polo, but then its a new engine and the changes to the car in its exterior or interior is not really big for you to wait. If the new Polo was coming with the MQB platform, then that would have been a better option.
The only case against this car is its rear space, but if you are going to drive the car mostly alone or with one passenger that space doesnt matter.

Upgrading the tires to 205/55 R15 can give a better handling than with the stock set up. You can even spent the saved 1.5 L to modify the car with better suspension and break set up.

Summing it up, at 11.9L you will be getting a car that looks hot and drives superb!

PS:- All these applicable if the 3 cars have the same weightage when you consider them. If you like Skoda Rapid Tdi and have fallen for its suspension and projector headlamps my post doesn't really matter. Anyway keep us updated.

Last edited by rejoycjohn : 26th November 2013 at 11:05.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote