Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 09:36   #31
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Not sure what you decided finally. I drove the GT TDI and the Rapid extensively and found it hard to ignore the Rapid. Just the extra money apart, I would say this confusion has started primarily because you found the Rapid a compelling propositon when you drove it. In this case, chuck the PTWR and numbers. Go with the butt dyno.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:01   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden State
Posts: 49
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Barron: Please update us with the car you finally bought.

As far as my knowledge goes, VW is known for launching a model first and the Extended Warranty follows. The Extended Warranty is "owned" by Bajaj Allianz (which has a tie-up with VW) and hence the pricing and other details have to be provided by BJAZ (Bajaj Allianz) to VW and this usually takes some time.

While the Extended Warranty is given to you by the manufacturer (VW in this case), the backend support is provided by Bajaj Allianz. Hence you will see a Bajaj Allianz logo along with VW in the Extended Warranty cover note that is provided.
f1dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 19:44   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Hi Guys, This tread was mainly discussed around Nov 2013. Since then the pricing has changed for Rapid. And this what is creating a confusion in my mind. I'm torn between the Rapid / Vento and Polo Gti.

The current prices are asf:

Polo - 9.25 lacs.
Rapid Ultima - 10.63 ( without climate control A/c) With climatic control it is 11.25 lacs.

So now the differences have been considerably bridged. Although Ultima comes only with few additional features which in my opinion are not very inspiring.

Well the biggest problem here in my case in Coimbatore city is the dealearship. This guy has had a bad name for a long time. I had been to the dealership but the are vouching things have changed in the past 1 one year.

Can anyone from Coimbatore comment on the Cbe dealer ?

Personally, im inclined to the Gti. It is compact, easy to drive in the city and honestly feel the fit and finish of the cabin is better than the Rapid.

The only downside being the Boot, which I think I can manage without.

The only thing left to ask is - will the polo give a better driving experience than the Rapid on highways ?

I tend to drive on highways . On that note very long drives usually covering 3000-4000 Kms in a single trip.

Can anyone please help me to move closer to a decision ?
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 20:42   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden State
Posts: 49
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
H

Well the biggest problem here in my case in Coimbatore city is the dealership. This guy has had a bad name for a long time. I had been to the dealership but the are vouching things have changed in the past 1 one year.
Are you referring to the VW dealership? It is part of the Ramani Cars group and as far as I know, it is one of the top dealerships for VW in South India. Both in terms of sales figures as well as customer feedback in 2013.
f1dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:13   #35
D4D
BHPian
 
D4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden City
Posts: 482
Thanked: 327 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
The only downside being the Boot, which I think I can manage without.

I tend to drive on highways . On that note very long drives usually covering 3000-4000 Kms in a single trip.

Can anyone please help me to move closer to a decision ?
When you say that you do about 3000-4000 km on a trip, I'm assuming you do 7-10 days of driving on a road trip.

If there are going to be more than 2 people in the car, where will their luggage fit? Here's where the Polo also loses out in terms of your backseat space. An tall adult wouldn't be comfortable in the backseat of the Polo on your long road trip.

So pick VW vento, Skoda Rapid depending on dealer experiences from friends/colleagues. I think there isn't much to differentiate between the two cars.
May I suggest you the honda city, especially since you do long trips and reliability is important.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 11:14   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

I double D4D. You will need a boot for the luggage and the Vento/Rapid has a massive boot for the size of the car.

From the two, I'd pick the Vento for two reasons:

1) VW A.S.S is slightly better than Skoda's
2) I personally own the Vento and can vouch for it.

Good luck with your purchase!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 11:45   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Thats right, my long trips span over weeks. But if its that long a trip - its usually solo.
Other times longer trips with family will have my wife and 2 kids for a couple of days. So in a way , for now the backseat is not very important.

Another advantage I see in a polo is for city commuting, especially in areas that I visit. I feel that hatchback will pack better.

I would have thought about the Vento, but its not as discounted as the Rapid. I think the price difference between vento - Rapid is about at least 75K.

Now I have tell you that Im thinking about the Rapid only because it is coming at a price that I can reach to by streching myself. Vento will be to over - stretch.

So, now the only hindering point that is so uncomfortable to address is the dealership. I will check on that with a few friends, possibly that should answer this point.

And on the city , that variants that Im looking at are 11.50 Lacs. Again, it is not something Im willing to pay right now.

Besides, we have just purchased an Amaze SX diesel. I don't want to be having two cars purchased at the same time with similar engines, though the car Im looking at is purely for personal use.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:28   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1dotcom View Post
Are you referring to the VW dealership? It is part of the Ramani Cars group and as far as I know, it is one of the top dealerships for VW in South India. Both in terms of sales figures as well as customer feedback in 2013.
No I mean the Skoda's dealership - Millennium Motors. In South for VW we have Ramani Motors. They are good, no problem. In fact , in Coimbatore where I stay - they have dealerships for Nissan, VW and recently Honda.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 02:55   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden State
Posts: 49
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Skoda dealerships across India seem to be a hotspot for all things negative. The dealers in AP are Mahavir and I have heard numerous horror stories about their workshops.

Skoda India unfortunately turns a blind eye to most of the complaints that customers raise against these dealers.

Sorry for going OT...
f1dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 20:52   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

sometimes the simplest situations can get very complicated.

My very simplest and easiest decision was to book a GT TDi some four weeks ago and the car was allotted to me after a weeks' time.

In the mean time , started to hear news about the facelift and I was contemplating whether to go for the current version or wait for the facelift.

Meanwhile, my dealer called me a few times asking when I will take delivery of the car.

In the opinion process and contemplating , I was kind of convinced the GT TDi may no longer be offered as a stand alone variant and on 20th of this month I went to the dealership and requested them to deliver the booked car by 26th , that is today.

In the meanwhile, the dealership has given away the vehicle to another customer, which in my opinion was not right - since the dealership never even for once asked me my decision to hold or release the allotted vehicle and also the fact that no more GT Tdi's in white are available. Had they told me that GT Tdi booked are no longer being accepted and no more stocks are available, I think I would have simply gone ahead and taken delivery of the vehicle then itself.

Infact, I kept calling the dealer and their bosses every other day if they have any news on the facelift polo. I was more concerned about the launch of GT Tdi with Auto clutch. This was actually holding me back from deciding.

After all this happened in the last couple of days I was discussing with my close friends (who did not know of my GT booking ) and my parents are of the strong opinion that I should look at the vento or rapid since it is VFM at about 11 lacs approx. (some marginal price difference in Vento and Rapid though).

Their this opinion considering the fact that I drive a lot on highways and need ride comfort and we already have enough hatch backs in our home already.

But one's heart is a heart. It does not understand the logic of mind. My heart is for the GT.

So here Im torn between the Vento/ Rapid and not so sure if facelifted GT Tdi will be ever available.

I need help and more opinions or will have to be referred to a psychiatrist otherwise.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 08:40   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
After all this happened in the last couple of days I was discussing with my close friends (who did not know of my GT booking ) and my parents are of the strong opinion that I should look at the vento or rapid since it is VFM at about 11 lacs approx. (some marginal price difference in Vento and Rapid though).

Their this opinion considering the fact that I drive a lot on highways and need ride comfort and we already have enough hatch backs in our home already.

But one's heart is a heart. It does not understand the logic of mind. My heart is for the GT.

So here Im torn between the Vento/ Rapid and not so sure if facelifted GT Tdi will be ever available.

I need help and more opinions or will have to be referred to a psychiatrist otherwise.
- If you need automatic and bigger boot/looking for back seat comfort(leg space) then go for Vento TDi.
- If you need manual sedan then go for Vento TDi
Do not even think of Petrol 1.6
- If you want a cheaper Vento TDI, then go for the Rapid TDi.
Couple of people say Rapid drives marginally better then Vento, but because of the Skoda ASS,I would prefer Vento.

- If you are looking for a sporty hatch and mileage go for GT TDi.
- If you are looking for a automatic hatch(with sporty ride) along with the safety features(ESP) then go for GT TSi.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 09:22   #42
BHPian
 
anilntny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: kottayam
Posts: 161
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
sometimes the simplest situations can get very complicated.

My very simplest and easiest decision was to book a GT TDi some four weeks ago and the car was allotted to me after a weeks' time.

In the mean time , started to hear news about the facelift and I was contemplating whether to go for the current version or wait for the facelift.

Meanwhile, my dealer called me a few times asking when I will take delivery of the car.

In the opinion process and contemplating , I was kind of convinced the GT TDi may no longer be offered as a stand alone variant and on 20th of this month I went to the dealership and requested them to deliver the booked car by 26th , that is today.

In the meanwhile, the dealership has given away the vehicle to another customer, which in my opinion was not right - since the dealership never even for once asked me my decision to hold or release the allotted vehicle and also the fact that no more GT Tdi's in white are available. Had they told me that GT Tdi booked are no longer being accepted and no more stocks are available, I think I would have simply gone ahead and taken delivery of the vehicle then itself.

Infact, I kept calling the dealer and their bosses every other day if they have any news on the facelift polo. I was more concerned about the launch of GT Tdi with Auto clutch. This was actually holding me back from deciding.

After all this happened in the last couple of days I was discussing with my close friends (who did not know of my GT booking ) and my parents are of the strong opinion that I should look at the vento or rapid since it is VFM at about 11 lacs approx. (some marginal price difference in Vento and Rapid though).

Their this opinion considering the fact that I drive a lot on highways and need ride comfort and we already have enough hatch backs in our home already.

But one's heart is a heart. It does not understand the logic of mind. My heart is for the GT.

So here Im torn between the Vento/ Rapid and not so sure if facelifted GT Tdi will be ever available.

I need help and more opinions or will have to be referred to a psychiatrist otherwise.
I fully understand your feelings, since I too had gone through all these recently.

I will say you are lucky that you didn't have to take delivery of GT.The fact that they are no longer taking bookings for GT means that production of existing model has stopped and the new facelifted model with a newer engine will start reaching dealerships soon.

About vento/rapid,my opinion is ,just follow ,what your "heart" says.Considering your inclination towards GT ,I will say, be patient and buy the facelifted polo GT ,which will be launched in mid July.

Also,there is no point in buying sedan if you are a solo driver most of the time? I always prefer a hatchback than a sedan for the easy maneuverability especially in tricky overtakings on highways.

The only reason you should be considering a sedan must be comfort for rear seat passengers and boot space,that too matters only if you travel most of the time with family or friends.

Last edited by anilntny : 27th June 2014 at 09:26.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 15:59   #43
BHPian
 
anilntny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: kottayam
Posts: 161
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Hi Padcot Prakash,any update on your booking?

There is a report by overdrive that new polo will be launched in july 15th but GT will be launched only in august.

http://overdrive.in/news/2015-volksw...n-august-2014/
anilntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 17:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
sometimes the simplest situations can get very complicated.

So here Im torn between the Vento/ Rapid and not so sure if facelifted GT Tdi will be ever available.

I need help and more opinions or will have to be referred to a psychiatrist otherwise.
The Polo GT TDI is an experience. The Vento/Rapid would just be another car. Since you already made the decision once and booked the GT, my advice would be to stick to the same and get the GT again in the face lifted avatar. Your car buying did get delayed by a few months but then you are going to get the face lifted variant which in my opinion looks better.
Just go with what your heart says. I doubt if the Polo GT would be any inferior in its highway manners.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 22:05   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I fully understand your feelings, since I too had gone through all these recently.

I will say you are lucky that you didn't have to take delivery of GT.The fact that they are no longer taking bookings for GT means that production of existing model has stopped and the new facelifted model with a newer engine will start reaching dealerships soon.

About vento/rapid,my opinion is ,just follow ,what your "heart" says.Considering your inclination towards GT ,I will say, be patient and buy the facelifted polo GT ,which will be launched in mid July.

Also,there is no point in buying sedan if you are a solo driver most of the time? I always prefer a hatchback than a sedan for the easy maneuverability especially in tricky overtakings on highways.

The only reason you should be considering a sedan must be comfort for rear seat passengers and boot space,that too matters only if you travel most of the time with family or friends.

Hi Anil,

I have gone with the Vento HL. Not that Im in a hurry to bring home a car.

Simply that after a long discussion with family and friends I have decided against the polo - even if it was Polo that I was looking forward to.

I do fully realise what a hot hatch can mean. I have been a proud owner of a Palio 1.9D and I can safely say that was one of the finest hatchback I have lived with. Sadly, I died a premature death at 110,000 kms of usage in less than 3 years.

My decision on Vento was based on Boot space and highway behaviour. Besides I perhaps made a mistake in my earlier posts. Its true that I travel solo most of the time, but what when I travel with my family ? I would be comfortable driving the polo on long drives , but what about the person if and when sitting behind and the luggage for all ?

Unfortunately, I had to rationalise my decision.
Padcot Prakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Polo R Cup's 1.6 TDI and Vento/Rapid's 1.6 TDI kryptonite Technical Stuff 21 12th February 2015 01:05
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011 .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 532 16th November 2011 10:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks