Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

View Poll Results: EcoSport Titanium TDCI vs New Fiesta Style TDCI
EcoSport Titanium TDCI 71 52.21%
New Fiesta Style TDCI 65 47.79%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th December 2013, 00:12   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Ford: EcoSport vs Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I think if I'm not getting a choice of my color then I cannot compromise on having a color that I don't like as it is going to stay with me for another 5-6 years. Hence the decision.
Mate, I havn't gone through all the pages of the thread. Here's my 2 cents, 8 months of waiting period is ridiculous as it has always been with Ecosport. Its team-bhp car of the year and every damn place but to Spend over a million rupees for no air bags is a joke. One never knows how is the road map for Ecosport once Maruti,Honda and Fiat bring their compact SUV. In the opening post you did not mention how you zeroed down to two cars to pick from. If you were to go and buy Verna i would not have said this. But Ford lovers are typically interested in steering and handling. Hence Please test drive Rapid as others have said. It gives you more value in every department including resale value. Fords are never known for their service quality anyway.

PS : You're fussy about the colour which means you care for looks. spare the Endeaveour, every ford in india at the moment is ugly to my taste.
blackbeast is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 01:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you IshaanIan for more inputs. Your suggestions are definitely going to make my decision easy. I'll update the thread tomorrow with my final decision.

Thank you jvm_1986 for your inputs. Hyderabad roads are bad but I guess Fiesta GC can handle the potholes without any effort.

I have a Figo, and despite the roads, almost never have problem in Hyderabad. I travel to Mysore in that car every few months and can tell the moment I cross over the border into Karnataka.

Most of the "low GC problems" you will see on any internet forum are from Bangalore folks - You are unlikely to have any problems whatsoever in a Fiesta (or almost any other car you buy) in Hyderabad despite the quality of the roads - which by the way is not much worse than most other cities in India (and by the way, I would like to know which city has anything that beats Hyderabad ORR)

On EcoSport vs. Fiesta
- The first time I saw it, it was around the launch (saw them at Fortune Ford Bodyshop, after rear-ending a truck and smashing my headlamp on a Bangalore "hump") , I loved it;
the tenth time I saw it (I see it every day parked next to a Duster in my office parking) - I hated it. It is an oversized hatchback that makes people feel important via its size (Freud and men's anatomy anyone?) without the driving/handling benefits of a hatch. And once you become familiar with the size and proportions - you realize it isn't even BIG - the biggest "quality" or utility a SUV affords its owner.

Now don't make any mistakes - if somebody trades it for my Figo (with less than 1lakh) I'll take it in a heartbeat, but if I really wanted a SUV for its road-presence, OR I wanted to have fun driving a car, OR I wanted to off-road, OR I needed extra space - I wouldn't buy it now (three months ago I would have - I wasn't immune to its charms yet; and charms being fickle charms, I might change my opinion in another month or two)

On resale value,

people have commented a lot on both sides - my take is this - this is a car, not an investment. And if it were, it would be an illiquid one - which means selling it will take time and patience if you want a good deal, irrespective of what you buy.

On "I sold X in one week while Y in ten" kind of comments - really? and what were your expectations in each case? Also how often do you buy and sell? did X and Y happen around the same time? Such anecdotal evidence is often not a very good guide, but if you want one - one of my colleagues bought a second hand Fiesta, had some trouble with it so wanted to get rid of it - he did it in less than a month (at close to what he had paid in the first place).

And a model can become a resale dud after you buy it.

Finally - lower resale value than what?
if you paid 10lacs for a car now, vs. 9lacs for another and you sold in (for the sake of simplicity) 7yrs and got paid 1lac less in resale on the latter - what's the big deal, even at 0% interest rate you break even. At roughly the interest rate that is prevalent today - you made 1lakhs at the end of 7yrs (worth Rs. 50k in today's money). This is even more fun at shorter time scales (do the calculations yourself).

Resale argument works only in favour of Marutis (and that is because risk the buyers face are reasonably well contained thanks to wide spread service and spares availabiliy; also the cars are in cheaper segment so the market has more liquidity - on a rarer car if you are not a patient seller you will end up giving a liquidity-discount to the buyer) - almost all other brands suck when you sit down and do the maths (including time-value-of-money) with some exceptions like Innova (not Toyota in general) and other cars that Taxi operators are willing to buy.

One other thing (because you are a first time buyer) - if looks are important for you, then before making a decision, look at the car for 5 minutes from outside and 50minutes from inside - Because inside is what you'll see once you own it.

By the way - what does your other half want (if you are married)? That can go a long way towards or away from happyness.

Last edited by vina : 7th December 2013 at 01:39.
vina is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 10:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
New Fiesta Style over EcoSport Titanium

1. Ready delivery vs odd 6 more months waiting
2. 9.42 L OTR vs 10.7 L OTR. EcoSport price may further increase by 50K
3. Cruise control
4. Better handling (Yet to test drive Fiesta but this is what I can make from the reviews)
5. 23.5 Kmpl 22.7 Kmpl
6. 78 BHP/Ton vs 72 BHP/Ton & 177 NM/Ton vs 163 NM/Ton (Negligible)
7. 430 litre boot vs 362 litre boot
These are good reasons . In fact, if I see your wishlist that tilts you in favour of the Ecosport, it reads:
Quote:
1. Bluetooth (Must have)
2. USB Audio (Must have)(Glaring omission by Ford, I would have preferred USB & Bluetooth instead of Cruise control)
3. Voice commands
4. Alloy wheels
5. 200mm GC
6. SUV stance
1 through 4 can be easily managed on the Fiesta using after-market. It gives you the flexibility to add these on as and when you can afford them and as per your choice rather than what the dealer foists on you.

5 -->200mm GC is a good one, but I haven't really heard too many complaints about the Fiesta's GC. Besides a lower-slung sedan will handle much better than a higher-riding baby SUV anyday.

6--> SUV stance, really? Ecosport looks like a cute wannabe SUV if you ask me. No comparison to the real thing. I would suggest you park one next to an Endeavour and compare the the two

Personally, I wouldn't buy the current Fiesta: it's a market flop, the interiors aren't great, was overpriced at launch (corrected now) and in general doesn't even match up to its previous generation let alone the other good cars available in that price range. But if you have chosen to go ahead with a Ford, my advice is get the Fiesta over the Ecosport.

Last edited by noopster : 7th December 2013 at 10:03.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 10:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Need experts advise to clear my confusion over EcoSport Titanium vs New Fiesta Style.

Waiting period quoted for Titanium TDCI is 8 months but SA confirmed that my waiting period will be considered from original date of booking even though I've upgraded to higher variant. Hope that is true.
Did you receive a booking number from the dealer? I am told that the dealers are involved in delivering the vehicle on payment premium to customers

Last edited by noopster : 7th December 2013 at 13:22.
NYMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 12:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Going by your likes and dislikes, I'd suggest you go for the Fiesta. But do remember that its rear seat is not even as good as its predecessor as far as quality of trim goes. This is the only negative , apart from being a market dud. But there are many positives with it, that you've already listed.

I'd suggest you TD the Vento and Rapid too. The Vento outshines the Rapid in looks and quality, but the Rapid's only advantage is a better steering. But it does look like a Fabia from the front, which I find distasteful. This apart, cost of service will be much more than others in the segment.
vnabhi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 14:12   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what blackbeast and noopster have said above. The Ecosport to me doesn't offer you that SUV experience other than the higher GC. And the C+ sedans these days have all got decent enough GC to cover most obstacles. So unless you need that 200mm GC of the Ecosport, there is no other advantage. It will certainly not offer you the SUV respect that so many owners talk about on our roads as it really looks quite small in person. So do not expect the fellow road users giving you way! Also its really small on cabin space and boot space.

Now secondly and more importantly why don't you really consider the Vento if you are fine with a sedan? It looks so much more proportionate than the Fiesta which looks really odd from the back. The Vento would also offer you equal if not better driving pleasure, european built quality and a better resale too.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 15:34   #67
BHPian

Small update:
As Paprika red & Sea Grey Fiesta style were sold out, I have a choice to pick from Blue, White and Chill in Style variant. Paprika Red is still available in Titanium+ variant.

Decided to go with white colour but to my disappointment the VIN number showed that it was Jan 2013 manufactured vehicle. Blue, Chill are manufactured in April 2013 but they are not to my liking.

Tried to negotiate on Paprika Red Titanium+ (April 2013 manufactured) and the final offer was 10.3 L OTR which I declined for below reasons:

1. At around 10.3 L I have other options like Vento, Rapid
2. Add 40K I will get 2014 EcoSport Titanium

If I can get Titanium+ at around ~9.5 L to 9.8 L I'll consider it or else ciao to Fiesta for now

Overall experience at Fortune Ford in the last 3 days was good. I hope it stays that way!

I even took a test drive of Grand i10 today, overall a good city car, but after tasting EcoSport and Fiesta I cannot settle with Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
By the way - what does your other half want (if you are married)? That can go a long way towards or away from happyness.
She doesn't have any specific preference about the car, she likes both. Only preference is, if it is Fiesta it should be in Paprika Red if not White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
Did you receive a booking number from the dealer? I am told that the dealers are involved in delivering the vehicle on payment premium to customers
Yes, for EcoSport I've received booking number after following-up with the dealer. But as I mentioned earlier I've upgraded to EcoSport Titanium and I'm yet to receive the updated booking number.

In the last 2 days I've been talking to multiple dealers regarding Fiesta and EcoSport. Below are the noteworthy points:

1. The waiting period for Titanium at multiple dealership quoted was 4-5 months with a small chance of getting early. A month back it was 8 months
2. 2 out of the 3 dealers I've talked to are not very sure if there will be price hike on EcoSport. If there is a hike, it may not be to the tune of 50 K but may be around 10-15 K
3. The EcoSport bookings have slowed down in the last couple of months
4. At present Ford is delivering more Titanium and Titanium + vehicles
5. All the 2013 new Fiesta stock has been cleared with the "December Remember" offer with the exception of 4 vehicles (3 Style and 1 Titanium+) at one dealer in Hyderabad.
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 15:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Now secondly and more importantly why don't you really consider the Vento if you are fine with a sedan? It looks so much more proportionate than the Fiesta which looks really odd from the back. The Vento would also offer you equal if not better driving pleasure, european built quality and a better resale too.
I completely agree with the rest that the Ecosport is simply no match for an SUV experience. But a Vento being better to drive? NO way!
No matter how much more torque its motor makes, there is no substitute for the Fiesta's dynamic abilities. The steering is just as light as you need it to be in the city and just as involving and precise as required on the Highway. Further, the seats and the seating in front, is unmatched in its class. It is leaps ahead of the rest in terms of both active and passive safety and loaded to the gills with features. Barring the rear, the car is still quite the looker. Rear bench isn't as good as the segment, better than the Ecosport, but the materials used makes you feel like your in a cheaper variant when you sit in the back of your own Fiesta.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 20:24   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
No matter how much more torque its motor makes, there is no substitute for the Fiesta's dynamic abilities. The steering is just as light as you need it to be in the city and just as involving and precise as required on the Highway.
True that Ford's steering will offer you better feedback but Vento is not that bad either. And the slight lack in this this area is more than enough made up by the torque it produces. Now fun to drive part is governed by multiple factors and not just the steering I believe.

Quote:
Further, the seats and the seating in front, is unmatched in its class. It is leaps ahead of the rest in terms of both active and passive safety and loaded to the gills with features.
Cannot comment on this. Has it got better ratings in the safety tests? And again Vento has all the features now too apart from the voice controls which anyways are useless if you ask me and more of a gimmick.

Quote:
Barring the rear, the car is still quite the looker. Rear bench isn't as good as the segment, better than the Ecosport, but the materials used makes you feel like your in a cheaper variant when you sit in the back of your own Fiesta.
How can a car be a looker if its rear is horribly designed? Looks have to be in whole and cannot be just talked of section wise. And I agree with you that sitting in the backseat it looks and feels really old age with all those metal hinges showing. I don't know if they have changed that now but when I checked out the car at the time of launch, it looked really downmarket. The Vento on the other hand has really classy interiors according to me.

Anyways we all have our own assessment criterion. I guess the OP has already made up his mind for the Ford so hope he gets what he wants.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 21:41   #70
BHPian

I would say you need to look at your priorities and reasons why you wanted to go for a SUV like vehicle and not a sedan in the first place. If I am in your shoes, I wouldn't have considered Ecosport, because I am basically a sedan person and SUV is something which I would not want to be my daily ride.
But in your case, I am assuming that the decision was already made by you to own a car with SUV like stance, drive around carefree with the high GC, to enjoy the view from driver seat, to own the latest model in the market with all bells and whistles etc etc. If that is the case, I would recommend not to change your decision now, for a few $$, and regret later on. The savings that you get now on new Fiesta will even out when you sell the car in the future. Ecosport is the market favourite as of now and I hope it will remain the same, which in turn promises a good resale, just in case you plan to sell it later on.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 22:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
But a Vento being better to drive? NO way!
No matter how much more torque its motor makes, there is no substitute for the Fiesta's dynamic abilities. The steering is just as light as you need it to be in the city and just as involving and precise as required on the Highway. Further, the seats and the seating in front, is unmatched in its class.
If steering and driving dynamics are the criteria, Fiesta is not even a patch on Linea. Rapid and vento are torque kings at the moment in the segment and It would be naive to overlook.I find it amusing you rate interiors of fiesta superior to vento. Even the phased out Fabia has better interiors ( not features) than the likes of fiesta,verna and the rest
blackbeast is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 23:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Cannot comment on this. Has it got better ratings in the safety tests? And again Vento has all the features now too apart from the voice controls which anyways are useless if you ask me and more of a gimmick.
I think 40% of the Fiesta's shell is comprised of high tensile strength Boron Steel. It is rated higher than its rivals atleast as far as safety is concerned. Don't know how much of a difference the pull-drift-compensation system makes, but it goes to show how much the company cares about how safe the vehicle is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
If steering and driving dynamics are the criteria, Fiesta is not even a patch on Linea. Rapid and vento are torque kings at the moment in the segment and It would be naive to overlook.I find it amusing you rate interiors of fiesta superior to vento. Even the phased out Fabia has better interiors ( not features) than the likes of fiesta,verna and the rest
Sorry mate but have you driven the two recently? The Linea did used to have the perfect balance but that increase in ride height has actually hampered its cornering abilities a bit (certainly not enough for it to not be called an enthusiast's ride) The Fiesta's steering is noticeably more precise in the corners, a novice will also be able to tell that it rides better, and it is also a little more confident at high speeds (not affected by wind velocity, feels more planted) One of the best calibrated EPS units around which makes city driving a breeze too so having the enthusiast's ride need not make parking in the basement of a supermarket a pain Oh and the Fiesta has a smaller turning circle too if that helps.

I find it amusing that some people jump at first chance they get to lock horns with another. Perhaps you misunderstood me or maybe just didn't take enough time to read my post. No where have I said that the interiors of the Fiesta are better than the segment. Infact I openly stated that they aren't; especially at the rear. BUT those front seats, with the extra bolstering, keep you in place and actually are a lot more comfy and supportive than the rest. (I think these are sold as sports seats in the USA and are an optional extra since the stock seats come with far lesser bolstering and are wider for their obese population )

I just want to point out that I don't own either of these cars but I am basing my opinions on the several times that I have had the chance to drive them. I would still buy myself a Linea T-Jet, have it lowered, fit and intake and get an ECU remap (cause the gains are much more in a forced induction motor and while I still maintain that the Fiesta is stunning, the Linea is just simply GORGEOUS)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th December 2013 at 23:44.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 01:43   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate but have you driven the two recently? The Fiesta's steering is noticeably more precise in the corners, a novice will also be able to tell that it rides better, and it is also a little more confident at high speeds.

I just want to point out that I don't own either of these cars but I am basing my opinions on the several times that I have had the chance to drive them.
IshaanIan, I have no experience in locking horns leave alone grabbing a chance and if it went down to you that way, here goes my apologies. I currently own a pre 2012 fiat and my family had the fiesta but not recent enough. Call me novice, but ask any Fiat owner, he will tell you no car can hold a handle against the ride of a fiat. All of this is and doesn't help the thread. The very reason to quote you is for your preference in fiesta dynamics vs vento power. That awkward feeling when a car like Verna leaves me in my punto behind from a toll is way too appalling to ignore.Incidentally, verna happens to be my first car and worst i ever owned.
blackbeast is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 16:36   #74
BHPian

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but some buyers may be influenced by the fact that the Fiesta recently won the "Women's World Car of the Year 2013" recently at a ceremony in Germany.
autonarr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 23:53   #75
BHPian

Hi Apple,

Have not gone through all the posts of this thread. In case you have not finalized, I may chip in with my opinion.

For 1.5 lacs less, if you are getting a better product & not going for the same for lesser money after 5 years does not make sense. 1.5 lacs will become 2.34 lacs after 5 yrs @ 9% quarterly compounding interest rate,which is the rate currently offered by most banks. After 5 yrs, if ES fetch you say 5 lacs, it is exactly the same if your Fiesta fetch you 2.66 lacs ( 5 lacs- 2.34 lac). I feel after 5 yrs, you may have more money going by above calculations.

So, dear brother, simply forget about resale price & go for the car you want most. 5 yrs is too long a period to remain contained with some product you did not want, but had to buy and had to live with for better resale; more so for bhpians while shopping a car.

Cheers
Chitta Pradhan is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote