Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 2nd March 2014, 23:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Should I buy the Renault Fluence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm sorry but since when was the entry level D segment sedan, and a perfectly all rounded one that, a niche product?
I think by "niche product", Vid meant the Fluence. Its a great car but still really struggles to sell. So to put your money on one when you are eyeing a 10 year long ownership period might not be very wise. I know "we live only once" but then the OP is planning to buy his own enthusiast's car too along with this workhorse.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 00:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Figo is to replaced by a reliable work horse then a Ritz or Liva or i20 will do the job. No swift due to low space and practicality ( I know I own one but my usage is single. Rear bench is hardly used). Liva is a nice car but for the dashboard.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 01:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^He mentioned sedan so hatches like the Ritz, Liva, i20 etc are ruled out. Plus with a budget of 15L, why even bother with these ?

@KiloAlpha, to me it looks like you want to have the cake and eat it too.
You say that you want to have a work-horse for the family, so that you could have another enthusiast car which would be only yours. But you seem to be ending up influencing/deciding the choice for both cars. I think the better way is to get inputs on the family workhorse from the folks that would be using that car the most.

That said, the Fluence is indeed a looker and if it really attracts you, why not ? Sales figures are just another number, what matters is how the car is. And as long as spares are not an issue, should be OK. BTW, Fluence in petrol or diesel ?

You did mention a sedan, but I think the Duster/Terrano kind of mini-SUVs would be a better bet for family runs - higher ingress/egress, good seating position, loads of luggage space, better road-cred etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 01:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^He mentioned sedan so hatches like the Ritz, Liva, i20 etc are ruled out. Plus with a budget of 15L, why even bother with these ?
I know it was OT sorry for it though but that was a suggestion for replacing his Figo with a work horse and the second car can be performance one. I feel a workhorse will be best suited to a hatch rather a sedan so my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I intend to replace the existing Figo with new C/D-Segment sedan, for family use.
Anurag.
Old 3rd March 2014, 20:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am insanely attracted towards the Renault Fluence
If you can you afford it, then what exactly is your question?

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd March 2014 at 20:41.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 22:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you can you afford it, then what exactly is your question?
His problem is, he is in love with the Fluence but is skeptical about the car when reliability is taken into consideration as he plans to keep it for 10 years and will it survive the ordeal.

Anurag.
Old 4th March 2014, 00:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
His problem is, he is in love with the Fluence but is skeptical about the car when reliability is taken into consideration as he plans to keep it for 10 years and will it survive the ordeal.

Anurag.
Car is built well, motor is reliable and is used in all their models right now, no issues in terms of reliability. People usually assume that something which hasn't sold much, won't be reliable. Isn't always like that.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 00:20   #23
BHPian

If you love the fluence, go for it. If you buy the city or any other car, you may end up comparing it to the fluence all the time, and thats not a good situation to be in. The fluence is also a well rounded package and looks real classy.
b.t.w, I'm curious to know which enthusiast's car you are gunning for after buying a D segment 'workhorse' ?
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 08:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:

One comfortable car for the family. ... .. workhorse.

I need a sedan/soft-roader. Will keep it for 10 years. Budget around 15 lakhs OTR. Must buy new.

I am insanely attracted towards the Renault Fluence. I also know that the sensible choice is the Honda City.

Advice please?
Since its for your family, what is their outlook? What are the parameters that they are looking for? If you could list them, might make it easier to zero in on a suitable choice.

For a family workhorse, my vote goes to Toyota Etios sedan. It is spacious (interior as well as the boot) fuel efficient, low up-keep cost, loaded with the necessary bells & whistles and powerful enough to handle both city & highways.

Last edited by vinjosep : 4th March 2014 at 08:55.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 10:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Why not the cheaper sibling of the Fluence - Scala? Perfect family workhorse. Dough saved can be put to use for the next car purchase.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 20:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
Its uses the venerable Renault 1.5 engine which has been proven for lakhs of kms in Logans and Veritos. Renault-Nissan now has 3 brands in India and is here to stay.

Other than depreciation I don't see any disadvantage vis a vis Honda. But if you are keeping for 10 years, that's not a major issue either
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote