Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 22nd April 2014, 11:53   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Everyone has already helped you to retain with Hyundai, and same is my opinion.
One thing which you should also factor is the cost of repairs and parts. My understanding is Polo will be expensive to repair in case of any damages due to unforeseen reasons (the great indian driving). Whereas since Hyundai is here for decades the spare parts are localised the cost of replacing will be pretty less.
I agree. And, that's the reason for me considering Hyundai (Accent ownership experience) and a non-Hyundai car (which my heart likes). However, Accent ownership wasn't too well either. Was totally/extremely/extremely^n dissatisfied with their service quality, and the moment I completed the free services, for warranty purposes, went straight to a private mech that works on all sorts of cars. Till date happy with his service, and thanks to Team-BHP for introducing him to me.

This is one of the reasons that make me consider another car. However, I don't know the state of Hyundai A.S.S these days. My friend had an i20 CRDI, and he always had some problem or the other and finally he sold it off. This might be a one off case, but I do see quite a few dissatisfied Hyundai customers as well over here. Or, am I wrong? Also, Hyundai giving customer delights like reverse parking, remote boot opening, etc, is seen as a positive marketing thing. But, why on hell is Hyundai making ABS & Airbags optional even in top variant? I really don't care about not having climate control, but I expect a car manufacturer to give some importance to safety.

So far, one thing is clear. Even if I go for a Hyundai, coz of the various advantages highlighted by members here, if should pray real hard that I don't get a lemon. Customer is no king in India.

Test drives start next week
gigatech2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
I agree. And, that's the reason for me considering Hyundai (Accent ownership experience) and a non-Hyundai car (which my heart likes).
Deep down you are already sold on the Polo. The test drive is going to make you love it even more after seeing the build quality and fit and finish. Let your heart make the decision else if you buy another car, every time you will notice a Polo on the road you will secretly sigh and wish you had bought it in the first place.

Congrats in advance for your new Polo
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Deep down you are already sold on the Polo. The test drive is going to make you love it even more after seeing the build quality and fit and finish. Let your heart make the decision else if you buy another car, every time you will notice a Polo on the road you will secretly sigh and wish you had bought it in the first place.

Congrats in advance for your new Polo
Damn, you're bang on! But, let me and my wife test drive these beauties. She has the final say as she's shorter than me. Thanks for your words of encouragement!
gigatech2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. And, that's the reason for me considering Hyundai (Accent ownership experience) and a non-Hyundai car (which my heart likes). However, Accent ownership wasn't too well either. Was totally/extremely/extremely^n dissatisfied with their service quality, and the moment I completed the free services, for warranty purposes, went straight to a private mech that works on all sorts of cars. Till date happy with his service, and thanks to Team-BHP for introducing him to me.

This is one of the reasons that make me consider another car. However, I don't know the state of Hyundai A.S.S these days. My friend had an i20 CRDI, and he always had some problem or the other and finally he sold it off. This might be a one off case, but I do see quite a few dissatisfied Hyundai customers as well over here. Or, am I wrong? Also, Hyundai giving customer delights like reverse parking, remote boot opening, etc, is seen as a positive marketing thing. But, why on hell is Hyundai making ABS & Airbags optional even in top variant? I really don't care about not having climate control, but I expect a car manufacturer to give some importance to safety.

So far, one thing is clear. Even if I go for a Hyundai, coz of the various advantages highlighted by members here, if should pray real hard that I don't get a lemon. Customer is no king in India.

Test drives start next week
I agree when I was owning Hyundai car (viva crdi
) I made it a point that the servicing is done only from their company owned showroom . Dealer authorized service station I have never been comfortable . Am not sure in your case where you went for servicing .
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:47   #20
BHPian

My vote goes to Xcent. Fits into the criteria perfectly as a family car. Better interiors than Polo. Smooth engine. Plenty of space. Reasonably priced. Plus, you already own a Hyundai, so you pretty much know about their aftersales.
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:11   #21
BHPian

Hello,
Looking at the options you have mentioned i would pick up the xcent anyday over the Polo. I know the polo looks too good and the build quality is amazing, but the 3 cylinder engine is very boring. Neither is the polo spacious and nor will the running cost be low.
If i were in your shoes i would pick up the Ritz Zxi. It has a better engine and even offers more space than the Polo. Maruti's after sales service needs no mention.
Do take test drives of all possible cars in your budget and then decide. Even i love the polo for its looks but again looks arent everything, especially with that 3-cylinder engine.
All the best!

Asit

PS- If you really love the Polo then why not look for a used 1.6.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, you're bang on! But, let me and my wife test drive these beauties. She has the final say as she's shorter than me. Thanks for your words of encouragement!
If you are sold on the Polo and if it is feasible, please see if you can extend your budget and go for the Polo GT TSI. The GT TSI will make you fall for the polo even harder
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:20   #23
BANNED

I tried to help you with some suggestions, but made the apparently serious mistake of also suggesting you look at Fiat Punto.

Then this happened. Isn't this over moderation? I see other cars like Brio suggested by others, so what's wrong with Punto?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1398167431.723994.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  156.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
gsurya is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
God bless you if you got lemon polo or If your dealer or any other VW dealer you may visit across India decides to take you for the ride. VW won't help you and you will keep running around the courts for 6+ years!

Go through these threads, after going through all of them, if you still consider VW or Skoda, I have no further advice.
Finding a lemon is a probability whichever brand you choose to buy. I consider it as a luck and most of the times the many checks that you have here in T Bhp can help you in decreasing that probability to near zero.
Another simple search on TBhp with Hyundai can give you another umpteen links that mention about the issues with Hyundai. I dint want to do that, but its unfair to completely put off a person by referring to issue threads and make a decision just because there were incidents reported on a car manufactured by one company.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-issues.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ty-issues.html (Hyundai quality issues)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-page-2-a.html (Hyundai i10 - Electrical Problems EDIT - New Issue (Page 2))
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dai-verna.html (Issues with a new Hyundai Verna)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...10-sportz.html (Electrical Issues after fitting Roots Spyder in Hyundai i10 Sportz)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...undai-i10.html (Alternator bearing issue in Hyundai i10)
I can give many more links

Quote:
Now, my only options are to test drive again (did it once already 2 months ago) the Polo, and the Grand i10/Xcent, back to back. Pick one, haggle for discounts (if any) and then come back here. Hopefully, they have the facelifted VW Polo at the showroom next week. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
To be honest, its important that one realize that there are pros and cons to any decision that you make. Its better that you make a decision according to what you like.
Buy something that will make you smile everyday when you see it and when you drive it. It will be that love that will make you give proper care for the car while you own it.
Regarding the links with issues, IMHO, they give you heads up on what can be expected if things go wrong. Its the same case with any car irrespective of manufacturer. And that is the purpose of a forum like this.

I personally know owners of Toyota Qualis and Innova who got Lemons, also those who been owning Skoda Octavias for Lakhs of Kms without any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Beg to disagree.
The Grand clearly belongs to the same segment as the Swift/Figo/Punto/Polo. Can't say the same about i20 though.
And by extension the Xcent competes in the same segment as DZire/Amaze/Fiesta classic.
Polo is 200 MM longer, 22 MM wider than Grand i10 - other spec comparison can be seen in the image below.
Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?-hyundai-grand-i10-corrected-specifications-prices.jpg
Even internationally its pitted against the VW Up.

PS:- None of my words are to put anything against Hyundai as a brand or Xcent as a car or to those who own these cars.They have their own USPs for which they are being bought by customers in India. Everyone has his / her own priorities and when it match with what is available a decision is made.

Last edited by rejoycjohn : 22nd April 2014 at 17:24.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Polo is 200 MM longer, 22 MM wider than Grand i10 - other spec comparison can be seen in the image below.
Does only the external dimensions define the segment to which a car belongs? I thought the 3 cyl engine of Polo producing some 75 odd BHP was no match for the Grand or Swift's 4 cyl 82/85 BHP engines.

Also from the pic you posted, there is very little to chose dimensionally between the Grand, Swift, Figo. If at all, the Grand engine produces more power than Figo. Not sure why it still would belong to lower segment.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are considering Polo,go for the 1.6TDI or the 1.2TSI based on your daily usage.Could be a stretch on your budget, but would be a decision you will not regret later.
Test drive and decide. Regarding service ( from an owner's viewpoint), they have improved considerably and is not an big issue now.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd April 2014 at 17:22.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I tried to help you with some suggestions, but made the apparently serious mistake of also suggesting you look at Fiat Punto.

Then this happened. Isn't this over moderation? I see other cars like Brio suggested by others, so what's wrong with Punto?

Attachment 1233434

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Is this how moderation is done?
Sorry for the language but Mod's this is surprisingly stupid if you ignore a car, because of some issues?
Fiat Punto is a legit contender.

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 23rd April 2014 at 21:12. Reason: Added a line.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 01:15   #28
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Finding a lemon is a probability whichever brand you choose to buy. I consider it as a luck and most of the times the many checks that you have here in T Bhp can help you in decreasing that probability to near zero.
Another simple search on TBhp with Hyundai can give you another umpteen links that mention about the issues with Hyundai. I dint want to do that, but its unfair to completely put off a person by referring to issue threads and make a decision just because there were incidents reported on a car manufactured by one company.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-issues.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ty-issues.html (Hyundai quality issues)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-page-2-a.html (Hyundai i10 - Electrical Problems EDIT - New Issue (Page 2))
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dai-verna.html (Issues with a new Hyundai Verna)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...10-sportz.html (Electrical Issues after fitting Roots Spyder in Hyundai i10 Sportz)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...undai-i10.html (Alternator bearing issue in Hyundai i10)
I can give many more links

To be honest, its important that one realize that there are pros and cons to any decision that you make. Its better that you make a decision according to what you like.
I am really surprised by your ignorance. You are comparing technical problems of Hyundai cars with after sales service problems of VW Group. It is the known fact that VW Group and their dealers screw their customers on regular bases and you are asking this guy to ignore the facts!

What is the use of buying a car where one fine day, it breaks down in the middle of the road and VW dealer gives you quote of 4 lakhs rupees for repairs where new car itself costs about 6 lakh and their dealer keeps your car for repair for long time!

For example, this guys POLO brakes down in middle of the road on a long trip and VW dealer gave him worst experience of his life. To make matters worst in the beginning VW totally shook off their hands from whole incident till this guy wrote a blog and it went viral and was picked up by media!

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vw-bhopal.html (Blog on Terrible accidental repair experience at VW Bhopal)

Don't let this Diwali be a dreadful experience. For people who have a notion that German engineering is the only aspect to consider while buying a Volkswagen car, think again!

My car proved to be a toy within three months, encountering constant problems and pathetic after sales experience. And I'm not the only one here. The internet is filled with cases where people had similar experiences. In my case, a small bump on the road and some minor manufacturing defects led to a small bill of Rs. 4,00,000 not covered under warranty or insurance for a car costing Rs. 5,98,000 and that's for replacing the complete engine in 3 months (no body defects).
Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vw-bhopal.html (Blog on Terrible accidental repair experience at VW Bhopal)

My emails have just fallen into deaf ears and hence this initiative to tell the public about how Volkswagen works in India. This article is purely aimed to educate the public on the shortcomings they could face after buying a Volkswagen car. Don't let this happen to you! I would make sure that this article is also published in newspapers and I would pay to advertise the whole experience if I have to including sponsored posts on social networks to spread awareness about such a company.
I really don't like bashing VW Group or any other brand but this guy is our friend and he is asking for advice in this thread, so I am giving him my opinion.

Last edited by Max : 24th April 2014 at 01:33.
Max is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 09:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does only the external dimensions define the segment to which a car belongs? I thought the 3 cyl engine of Polo producing some 75 odd BHP was no match for the Grand or Swift's 4 cyl 82/85 BHP engines.

Also from the pic you posted, there is very little to chose dimensionally between the Grand, Swift, Figo. If at all, the Grand engine produces more power than Figo. Not sure why it still would belong to lower segment.
By your logic, Corolla Diesel should be cheaper than Verna/Vento/Linea?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 14:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Does only the external dimensions define the segment to which a car belongs?
Quote:
The Grand clearly belongs to the same segment as the Swift/Figo/Punto/Polo. Can't say the same about i20 though.
By just being more expensive than Swift/Grand, the Polo and Punto can't escape the fact that they are not exactly a premium hatchback .
I mentioned the size as you were of the opinion that only a price increase wont keep it in another segment. I honestly not bothered if Polo belongs to A segment or B segment or B+ segment. I have a budget, I check out cars , I like them due to many objective and subjective reasons and I buy it.

But coming to segments, the auto industry in India and else where have a couple of factors taken into consideration while fitting a car into one of them.
Previously it used to be hatchbacks, MUVs, SUVs and saloon cars. As time went by there were different kind of Hatchbacks , MUVs, SUVs and saloons. So they had to again divide it based on Price, size, build quality, interior luxury, features offered etc.

Thus we have a Datson Go which is as big as Micra / Grand i10 slotted at a segment lower and pitted against Wagon R,Hyundai Eon, Alto K10 and Alto 800 and this happens due to the pricing.
We also have a Mini Cooper which is <4 Meter in length is pitted against / Merc A class/ BMW 1 series that is again due to pricing, the similarity in the luxury provided, the brand value etc.
So my friend price matters, you get what you pay for. Its again an individual choice on what matters to him.
Can give another list of cars which are exactly same in terms of dimensions and sometimes the car with a lower engine power is priced higher and compete at a segment higher.

Not sure why you left Hyundai i20 at another segment ( I recently found that the MFD in i20 is not as smart as those in its competition )
For me Polo / Swift / Punto / I20 / Liva / Figo / Mircra are in the same segment and will consider these when you are in the look out for a bigger hatcback.

Autocar review of I10 from UK.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/hyundai/i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I am really surprised by your ignorance. You are comparing technical problems of Hyundai cars with after sales service problems of VW Group.
I really don't like bashing VW Group or any other brand but this guy is our friend and he is asking for advice in this thread, so I am giving him my opinion.
Thank you for noting my ignorance .
I am happy that you acknowledge that Hyundai cars have technical problems and in my opinion that is what one should be more concerned than the service problems.
We can possibly leave one car dealer and choose to service from another if you are not happy. In Bangalore there are a couple of VW dealers, some are very good in terms of customer service and some are really bad. It even depends on the sales executive / service executive that you get.
Recently I have heard more positive feedback about VW service, so definitely its improving.

With respect to that incident, to be fair the person did drive the car even after the engine sump was hit and caused an engine seizure. The cost to repair it and get it back to life is going to be high. VW Polo does have a decent ground clearance, but still considering the Indian conditions it would be best if VW can give the sump guard as standard. Considering that they have started giving Airbags as standard in Trendline and ABS and Airbags in Comfortline, they should really consider giving the sump guard.

Personally during my ownership, I remember checking the engine oil after 7000 KM ( in 4 months ) and it was really low and I had to go top it up.

Everyone is giving in this thread their opinion, but lets be fair with incidents and issues that each car owner in this forum had to go through from different car manufacturers.

Some points here are a bit off topic, but had to put it as it would probably help the prospective buyer ( irrespective of what he buys )not be bogged down by a few unfortunate incidents.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote