Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:10   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,769 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

IF you are interested in a german car, don't spend all your 15 lakhs just on buying it as you will need a couple of lakhs to guarantee that you can bring it up to perfect running condition. Just research how much a battery on a C-Class costs and you will know what I mean. German cars certainly do offer aspirational value but stretching your budget to buy a post 2011 model that will still most likely be out of warranty is not a good idea. Either hold back, go for a less brilliant pre 2011 model car which ought to cost less so that you have the money required to make it like new, or forget it.

I would say go for the Teana. It is an absolutely brilliant car and in terms of comfort, it outclasses everything else. No superb or 3 series comes close to the way the Teana cossets you in its plush seats in what may not be the most sophisticated interiors, but definitely the most pleasant environment to be in. Being a japanese car, you really don't have to worry too much about local Nissan service and whether or not the authorized service center is good or not. Any competent independent garage should be able to handle your car easily. I own a CBU Kizashi and I have never waited more than 2 weeks, for something as random as the memory seat switch which had to be imported from Japan as they had no stock in Gurgaon. Even my trusted garage owner back in Hyderabad has always maintained that if it is a Japanese car, sourcing parts for it will always be relatively easy regardless of how rare it is, and he is quite the pro with a large setup that can handle absolutely anything (I regularly see him performing incredible restorations and working on sophisticated expensive cars) so I trust what he says usually and this does concur with my experience too. This is honestly the only car I would recommend considering your requirements.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:14   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
You can look at A4, pretty reliabile and smooth.
Should get a good one from 2011/12 in that budget.
Octavia tsi is a great option too, has good legroom and much lesser on the pocket
About the Fortuner, IMO it is the worst car to buy 2nd hand because of a very high resale value plus only 4 speed automatic that is aged.
X1 petrol would come with a low mileage, you can look at that too
Mercedes should largely be avoided due to the obscene prices of service parts and repairs
As a matter of fact 2013 A4 cards are available in this budget. However most of these cars are run 50K plus... and have not heard great After Sales tories about Audi...

Also have driven the Passat 1.8 tsi ...so looking for a bit of a change...hence not lookng at a Skoda....Well Merc C class 2010-2012 are available in the range..so are E-Class from the 2010-11 range..not sure on the maintenance part though..i`ve heard Audi is worse off compared to a Beemer and Merc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Well since it's gonna be self driven (by you and your wife) I'd suggest the 3 series hands down. There's nothing that can beat the performance of one in that range and price and you should be able to find some good examples around. The E90s are mostly reliable as they have pretty simple tech and since your location shows Mumbai there are a few companies which provides "extended warranty" for these cars
Yes am seriously looking at E90 series...Which model is pref-able there..320d or 320i /325i?
punitkakri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:25   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
IF you are interested in a german car, don't spend all your 15 lakhs just on buying it as you will need a couple of lakhs to guarantee that you can bring it up to perfect running condition. Just research how much a battery on a C-Class costs and you will know what I mean. German cars certainly do offer aspirational value but stretching your budget to buy a post 2011 model that will still most likely be out of warranty is not a good idea. Either hold back, go for a less brilliant pre 2011 model car which ought to cost less so that you have the money required to make it like new, or forget it.

I would say go for the Teana. It is an absolutely brilliant car and in terms of comfort, it outclasses everything else. No superb or 3 series comes close to the way the Teana cossets you in its plush seats in what may not be the most sophisticated interiors, but definitely the most pleasant environment to be in. Being a japanese car, you really don't have to worry too much about local Nissan service and whether or not the authorized service center is good or not. Any competent independent garage should be able to handle your car easily. I own a CBU Kizashi and I have never waited more than 2 weeks, for something as random as the memory seat switch which had to be imported from Japan as they had no stock in Gurgaon. Even my trusted garage owner back in Hyderabad has always maintained that if it is a Japanese car, sourcing parts for it will always be relatively easy regardless of how rare it is, and he is quite the pro with a large setup that can handle absolutely anything (I regularly see him performing incredible restorations and working on sophisticated expensive cars) so I trust what he says usually and this does concur with my experience too. This is honestly the only car I would recommend considering your requirements.
So how has your experience been with the Kizashi? Japenese cars do seem more reliable.. However are these imported parts expensive?? On a separate note, Teana do seem to be going relatively cheap...

Also thought of also looking at Pajero Sport...
punitkakri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:44   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,769 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
So how has your experience been with the Kizashi? Japenese cars do seem more reliable.. However are these imported parts expensive?? On a separate note, Teana do seem to be going relatively cheap...
So far brilliant apart from the fact that the Kizashi sold poorly across a globe and not just in India which makes diagnosing an issue a bit of a task for anyone. That said it has been fairly reliable for me and obviously since it is fully imported, parts are expensive but still much cheaper than VAG parts. Japanese cars tend to run tried and tested stuff there is no direct injection, forced induction blah blah blah just simple variable valve timing that has been proven for over a decade now. This is the reason you do not see transmission failures, fuel pump failures, affinity towards hydro locking etc. in a Japanese car. They stray away from sophisticated mechanicals unless they have been proven over years of usage.

Coming specifically to cost of parts, the difference between a Creta/City/Ecosport and a Teana/Superb/CR-V is night and day. These cars do have very expensive parts. Break something and you are looking at a huge bill regardless of where you have it serviced simply due to import taxes. That said, the driving and travel experience in these more expensive cars (sedans as the SUVs cost more for the manufacturer to make hence you do not get crazy levels of build and material quality), is simply far superior. Forget a class above, they truly aren't even on the same level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Also thought of also looking at Pajero Sport...
You really need to jot down your priorities or what you want to be driving. An SUV which allows you to bash on regardless over our terrible Indian road surfaces, or a Sedan which makes you the king out on the highway and retains inherent properties like low center of gravity thus allowing you to make any high speed maneuvers, more confidently with no risk of rolling. Then you need to wonder whether you want comfort or outright handling prowess and driver involvement. For example the Teana has next to no feedback from its steering wheel and a calm transmission, but is still a joy to drive as long as you aren't pushing your limits skill wise and you drive it smoothly. The 3 series is far more elctric to drive but far less comfortable to be in, the Pajero is fairly involving to drive, but scary around bends as it rolls about like a sky-scraper.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:50   #125
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: noida
Posts: 130
Thanked: 102 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
As a matter of fact 2013 A4 cards are available in this budget. However most of these cars are run 50K plus... and have not heard great After Sales tories about Audi...
Well, mine has run 90k without a major glitch, reliability is super and Audi was generous enough to change engine mounts at 74k last year even when the car was out of extended warranty as a goodwill gesture.
More often than not have heard horror stories of Mercedes, a friend's E class had an ignition barrel failure, he had to cough up 2.63 Lacs for starting it
Plus Audi's presence in Delhi is super so makes it a much better case than BMW or Mercedes

Last edited by noopster : 2nd July 2017 at 21:29. Reason: Fixed quote tags
dhruvritzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:33   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,680 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

A4 vs Jetta. I dont want to ruin it but i personally didnt feel A4 offering anything majorly different to the Jetta. Views will differ.
The list you have ranges from Car for driving to car for carrying school kids. Unless you really prioritize the purpose its going to be a never ending war between heart and head.

You already know what the trouble free options are. Kick out all non Asian cars and you will be left with the best.

Merc or BMW - Just keep an additional budget over 5 years. Say 5-7 L for worst case scenarios.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:16   #127
BHPian
 
AdiSinghV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BOM-CCU-DEL-PAT
Posts: 501
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Yes am seriously looking at E90 series...Which model is pref-able there..320d or 320i /325i?
The E90 320d is your safest bet and is a very good all rounder be it in performance or efficiency, the 325i will be bonkers as it has a 6-cyl engine and it's really a gem of a motor. Stay away from the 320i as it's neither very efficient nor very fun to drive. 320d > 325i > 320i. Best luck
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:41   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

You really need to jot down your priorities or what you want to be driving. An SUV which allows you to bash on regardless over our terrible Indian road surfaces, or a Sedan which makes you the king out on the highway and retains inherent properties like low center of gravity thus allowing you to make any high speed maneuvers, more confidently with no risk of rolling. Then you need to wonder whether you want comfort or outright handling prowess and driver involvement. For example the Teana has next to no feedback from its steering wheel and a calm transmission, but is still a joy to drive as long as you aren't pushing your limits skill wise and you drive it smoothly. The 3 series is far more elctric to drive but far less comfortable to be in, the Pajero is fairly involving to drive, but scary around bends as it rolls about like a sky-scraper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A4 vs Jetta. I dont want to ruin it but i personally didnt feel A4 offering anything majorly different to the Jetta. Views will differ.
The list you have ranges from Car for driving to car for carrying school kids. Unless you really prioritize the purpose its going to be a never ending war between heart and head.

You already know what the trouble free options are. Kick out all non Asian cars and you will be left with the best.

Merc or BMW - Just keep an additional budget over 5 years. Say 5-7 L for worst case scenarios.

Wee here goes with regard to consideration points
1. Needs to be a bit of an upgrade/ similar level to a Passat
2. Needs to drive reasonably well
3. Needs to be fairly reliable with no more than 50K spent in a year
4. Primarily for city driving
5. Running is less than 5K a year so fuel costs dont really matter
6. Should be fairly comfortable place to be in.

Just reiterating, will not be spend more than 5K a year in this car. Hence fuel wont matter. Yes Reliability, manoeuvrability in traffic, front seat comfort and
a bit of driving pleasure would help.

Open to SUV or a sedan.
punitkakri is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ET: Luxury cars at throwaway prices! article on pre-owned luxury car business aditya101 Super-Cars & Imports in India 51 17th June 2009 17:52
Pre-owned Optra / Pre-owned Accent CRDi / New Tata Indigo ashthedivx Sedans 15 24th February 2007 14:03
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks