Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 22nd September 2015, 20:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Any particular reason why Ford Figo Aspire AT is not on the list?
amanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:00   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Any particular reason why Ford Figo Aspire AT is not on the list?

Aspire falls well under 10L OTR in most places. Covered in the under 10L thread. Link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ive-guide.html
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Default ideal automatic - does it exist !

Hi

I am currently driving fiesta petrol 1.6L SXi - 8th year running and its still a pleasure to drive. Just thats its showing its age now. Its giving me 13-14Kms on avg.

I am looking for a new Automatic car. I have daily commute of South Delhi to Noida - approx 70Kms on weekdays. Mixed city traffic.

I am spoilt by the sheer driving pleasure of 1.6 fiesta. I am kind of indifferent to the fuel type as I am at the cusp of std calculations of petrol Vs diesel. Budget wise I am between 10-15 L +/- Ditto for sedan and SUV form factor. Primary requirement is automatic (early forties, wanna give the knees some rest) Given a choice will prefer petrol/SUV/auto.

Now what I am realizing is that the moment I say automatic, the choice becomes restricted. The threads by RajeevRaj have been amazingly helpful. Great effort
The point where I am getting confused is the kind of automatic - I understand that double clutch > CVT > TC. And only Ford and Volkswagen/Skoda give that. (I have been biased by all the tech articles I have read !!)

So the moment I look at engine + transmission tech + the overall car, nothing seems to fit

I have test ridden / evaluated the following :

1) Jetta / Octavia : > 22/23L: A depreciating asset at this cost doesn't make sense to me
2) Corolla Altis 1.8 petrol, CVT : 18 L : Test drove, decent car/drive but looks pricier for what it offers
3) Elantra : petrol 18L: Havent tried but same thought process as corolla
4) Vento/VW diesel DSG : Test drove, decent cars. Diesel engine as a bit gruff, DSG is a gem, but this car looks/feels like my Fiesta (infact a notch lower since I have an SXi) - Plus the concerns about the gearbox
5) Honda City : didnt excite me. Somehow the memories of the rubber band in Kinetic Honda scooters during my younger days are still fresh after all these year
6) Vento TSi dsg : Test drove, very nice engine, DSG is a gem - but again same dilemma - It feels and looks like my fiesta. for the petrol version, I am not too concerned about the gearbox as the TSi doesnt have that much of torque !
6.b) I even considered the polo TSi auto, but didnt pursue further as I needed space
7) Ford ecosport : Test drove, DCT is quite good, but the petrol engine is not great - A big let down for me after my fiesta , else the car felt nice
8) Creta : yet to TD, but am not sure about the traditional TC gearbox
9) TUV 300 / Scorpio: Dont appeal to me
10) I was waiting for the XUV 500 automatic - sounded , on paper , like a perfect choice - but the launch is nowhere in site
11) Duster automatic - again no clue when it will come

I have just listed down my basic dilemma without going too much into the test drive details.

Last point is that I a in no tearing hurry, can wait for a couple of months for delivery/in case some new launches are coming

Thank You all in advance.

Rgds
Mod Note: Moved Your post to this thread, as its more relevant to this discussion and you would get better responses.
Mod Note: Please avoid typing with dots like.... this...

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2015 at 18:57. Reason: Formatted Post;
ta1017 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:23   #19
BHPian

Default Re: ideal automatic - does it exist !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
Hi

I am currently driving fiesta petrol 1.6L SXi - 8th year running and its still a pleasure to drive. Just thats its showing its age now. Its giving me 13-14Kms on avg.

I am looking for a new Automatic car. I have daily commute of South Delhi to Noida - approx 70Kms on weekdays. Mixed city traffic.
I haven't driven any of these cars except the Polo - but going by your requirements, would recommend the Creta. The AT box is a six speed TC and should be good enough for city and highway runs.

There is an excellent thread by BNM on initial ownership of Creta AT.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html (Hyundai Creta SX+ Automatic - Initial Ownership Report)

do take a TD and keep us posted
BaluJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ideal automatic - does it exist !

Quote:
Hi

11) Duster automatic - again no clue when it will come
I think you have listed and dis-positioned most of the obvious options. Few inputs.
  • Since you feel the C Segment sedans don't feel to be too much of an upgrade, you will need to step into the SUV or the D Segment territory. No other choice.
  • Would recommend TD of the Creta. It is a 6 speed AT box and reviews have been good.
  • The latest updates in this thread indicates that the Duster AT might be close to launch. Would be a good candidate especially if it comes with a Dual Clutch Box as indicated.
  • http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3812378 (Rumour - Duster to get an automatic transmission in 2015)
  • Since you are not ok with going above 20L for the Jetta/Octavia. How about going for a pre-owned Jetta?

Note: Since you are looking in the 10-15L range, will request to move the post to this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ive-guide.html (Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide)
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:46   #21
BHPian

Hi
@ RajeevRaj , I agree I have not left any choice !

I am not OK with a used car as I will probably keep the car for a few years.

Actually when I sat in the ecosport, I was sold. But the TD kind of turned me off ! The DCT is good but the engine is uninspiring. Its noisy, have vibrations and just doesnt plain excite. The S mode is slightly better.
I like the Vento DSG TSi and its a shortlist but as I said it doesnt give the sense of a change as the car is similar to my fiesta.
I am trying to evaluate between Vento AT TSI vs TDi. Am getting the 'old' model at a good discount (apporx 1 Lakh) .Any suggestions here between the two.

Thx for the Duster thread ... will check it out.

Rgds

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g write Thanks instead of Thx & Regards instead of Rgds

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2015 at 07:15. Reason: Please see mod note in your post, thanks
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 28th September 2015, 11:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I like the Vento DSG TSi and its a shortlist but as I said it doesnt give the sense of a change as the car is similar to my fiesta.
I am trying to evaluate between Vento AT TSI vs TDi. Am getting the 'old' model at a good discount (apporx 1 Lakh) .Any suggestions here between the two.

Thx for the Duster thread ... will check it out.

Rgds
Check this thread out. Has some good posts between the TDI and TSI DSG. It also links to some posts in the 2015 Vento face lift thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...g-tdi-tsi.html (Which VW Vento DSG - TDI or TSI?)

The new TDI/TSI looks much better and more importantly comes with cruise control which is something I sorely miss in my TSI. So if you finalize on the Vento, I would recommend sticking to the new model and not go for the older model.
Old 28th September 2015, 11:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Thanks. Yes, it is surprising that S Cross did not come with an AT option. I think Maruti may be confused on which AT box to use, they cannot put a 4 speed AT in what is their premium car. The Baleno premium hatch is expected with an AT. So I don't expect an AT in the S Cross anytime soon.
Any idea if Baleno AT will be a petrol? Hopefully they plonk in something different from the regular 4 speed TC box
BaluJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 14:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaluJ View Post
Any idea if Baleno AT will be a petrol? Hopefully they plonk in something different from the regular 4 speed TC box
Will be a petrol. Rumored to be a CVT and not the 4 speed box. They had used a CVT on the Kizashi (which had reasonably good reviews). Could be the same box.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:21   #25
BHPian

Hi

I had a rethink...was talking to friend and he has sold me the idea of used cars !

Can you suggest me the 2-3 best Automatics over the last 5-7 years.

My requirement is
1) Good performing Automatic Transmissions (i.e. not sluggish/slow)
2) low maintenance cost (since this will be a used car) with good built quality
3) preferably ones that depreciate heavily
4) budget <9L
5) I am quite indifferent to SUV/Sedan, petrol diesel as long as it is high on driving pleasure (I am currently spoilt by my fiesta petrol 1.6 SXi)

I TD a 2008 2.4L CRV (85K KMs) - everything was great but the AT was a let down - it was slow & sluggish :( Plus the very low FE of 6-7 for AT was also a detriment.

Thx in Advance.
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 21:17   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Can you suggest me the 2-3 best Automatics over the last 5-7 years.

My requirement is
1) Good performing Automatic Transmissions (i.e. not sluggish/slow)
2) low maintenance cost (since this will be a used car) with good built quality
3) preferably ones that depreciate heavily
4) budget <9L
5) I am quite indifferent to SUV/Sedan, petrol diesel as long as it is high on driving pleasure (I am currently spoilt by my fiesta petrol 1.6 SXi)
Unfortunately fast automatic transmissions are the DSG's that come in the Jetta's and Octavia's. But that will conflict with point 2 and 3.

Few good performing AT's that I can think off.
  • ~2010-11 Jetta TDI AT.
  • ~2013 Honda City AT (Previous gen with 5 speed TC based AT)
  • ~2012-13 Ford Fiesta DCT (If you can find one).

Don't have much knowledge in the used AT domain. Hopefully other readers can suggest more options.
Old 5th October 2015, 12:21   #27
BHPian

Hi

Does someone know if fiesta is being launched with DCT again ?

@RajeevRaj - what about premium cars like CRV, Accord, Corolla, endeavour, santa fe - how are their ATs and how do they depreciate

Thx
Old 5th October 2015, 14:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Does someone know if fiesta is being launched with DCT again ?

@RajeevRaj - what about premium cars like CRV, Accord, Corolla, endeavour, santa fe - how are their ATs and how do they depreciate

Thx
Given the Fiesta has been discontinued due to dismal sales - it would be surprising (but a welcome move) if Ford launches it again, especially with the DCT.

The vehicles mentioned in your list depreciate like stink, and will be much more reliable than the VWAG products.
With the exception of the Corolla which has a CVT gearbox, the rest come with torque converters. They will be a lot more reliable than the DSGs, but are not close to as efficient (4/5 speed gearbox, not as quick to downshift, etc.) - but offer a good experience if you are more of a cruiser.
Just the other day, I came across a pre-owned Camry (previous gen FL) with ridiculously low kms (6,000?) for 15L which I am sure can be negotiated upon heavily. Similarly, lots of Accords available, whereas the SantaFe is rare to find, and the Endeavour is dated.
CR-V's seem to hold a higher resale value than the Accord.

Sadly - reliable & fun to drive don't go with each other especially in this segment. You can get a reliable traditional auto, or you can get a fun DSG with high maintenance costs - a member here shelled out quite a bit to get his pre-owned Laura DSG back in action (the 200BHP tuned Laura thread IIRC).
And even then - getting a car that matches the Classic 1.6 on FTD is even rarer (only the previous gen Jetta came close!)
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 16:25   #29
BHPian

I recently bought Rapid TDI DSG. Awesome car to drive and find it better then Vento TDi in terms of suspension setup. Do check it out.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 18:57   #30
BHPian

Thx Lambhorghini

Actually I have been thinking what kind of a driver am I ...and I think the answer is that normally its daily commute and the grind ...but I do enjoy having the feeling of control and power
when I drove the ecosport and the CRV (not really comparable but) , in one case the engine didnt feel right and in the other the transmission ....so looks like either
1) I live with my current car for a year or so more and see if something exciting comes up - but will have to live with the manual
2) buy the vento tsi and live with the feeling of 'sameness' / lateral move - and enjoy the engine/transmission
3) buy a guzzler like the accord or crv ....and live with bad FE and avg transmission and enjoy the premium segment
4) buy the eco sport and live with avg engine and enjoy the suv kind of feeling

confusion and choice :(