Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 2nd November 2015, 20:56   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Ciaz AT or Vento TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariusmaximus View Post
I feel Creta AT petrol is just way overpriced in Bangalore with limited features
There is no Creta petrol AT right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Beats me why would any one buy a Maruti AT.
Why not? Agree that the highway driving experience will be dull, but for the city commute they're pretty VFM packages.

Cheap to maintain + good FE = Maruti AT cars.

Quote:
I used a 4-speed A-Star At. It was good, but MUL used same box in Vitara , too.
I don't think so. The GV's engine produces much more torque. The no of gears might have been same, but the gearbox surely was different.

Quote:
Ciaz and Baleno also have this lazy CVT.
Baleno has the CVT. Ciaz has a 4 speed Torque converter unit.

Quote:
I would say buy new Figo AT. Or, at least take it out for a test spin and you will see what I mean. It's very close to Polo TSI in acceleration.
That's should be considered. The Figo/Aspire has a 1.5 NA with 110 PS and a 6 speed DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
why not consider Rapid Petrol AT.
Wow, I'm still surprised they sell this.

Watch out for:
  • Dealer selling you old stock
  • Terrible resale value
  • Skoda's Patchy ASS

The car should be fairly reliable though.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:05   #47

Default Re: Ciaz AT or Vento TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
There is no Creta petrol AT right?
My bad, there is no Creta Petrol AT.

Quote:
Why not? Agree that the highway driving experience will be dull, but for the city commute they're pretty VFM packages.

Cheap to maintain + good FE = Maruti AT cars.
Spot on!

Quote:
I don't think so. The GV's engine produces much more torque. The no of gears might have been same, but the gearbox surely was different.
Baleno has the CVT. Ciaz has a 4 speed Torque converter unit.
Thats correct. Baleno has a CVT and reviews say that though it may be fine in city, it is not the best bet for highways. Ciaz has a 4 speed torque converter. On a related note, I felt the Ciaz engine gets too vocal at higher RPMs. Guess this is due to the engine and not the autobox.

Quote:
That's should be considered. The Figo/Aspire has a 1.5 NA with 110 PS and a 6 speed DCT.
Didnt think of this as an option as I was quite disappointed by the responsiveness of the DCT autobox on Ecosport.

Am probably gonna do another round of test drives to help clear the doubts

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd November 2015 at 14:25.
katariusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 12:23   #48

Default Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Bu way of update, did a TD of both the cars again and below are my thoughts for anyone in similar condition.

Ciaz AT: The car takes off well in D mode and gains speed reasonably and the other modes (2 and L) are best left while tackling hills/steep inclines. I tried putting the car in 2 and and found the acceleration quicker as each gear was held till higher rpm but the engine became loud. Overall the gearbox was smooth. Additionally, what I liked (again) which I miss in Vento was the sheer size of the car (both outside and inside), almost flat floor at rear (Vento has a big hump), start-stop button, auto dimming IRVM, wooden accent (personal choice), rear view camera on IRVM (Vento just has sensors), projector headlamps, ARAI figure of 19.12 kmpl and to an extent the rear sun shade. Add to this the low maintenance cost and general assurance of a Maruti are making Ciaz a good option over Vento (which will have a higher maintenance cost+fear of the DSG failure).
Still no discounts or offers at the moment.

Vento Tsi: The engine was free flowing from the word Go and the gears shifted smoothly in D mode. Unluckily (or luckily), got stuck in back to back traffic on inner ring road and the way the creep function helped and gave me a good flavour of how the vehicle handles in the notorious bangalore traffic. It was when I put the car in S mode on an open stretch that I really got to feel the peppy nature of the engine and gearbox. The tip tronic also served well and was very fast. Overall was very happy with the way the car behaved. Totally a "Heart" car Things which I found present in Vento and missing in Ciaz- ESP and Hill hold control, Cruise control and the tip tronic mode.
To top it all, the insurance has just been offered for free as well (this week), which is making the delta between the Ciaz and Vento smaller. The difference is about 1.25 L with all options (0% depreciation insurance and 2 year extended warranty) chosen.

From my perspective, keeping all things in mind, it is a close call and plan on making a decision soon and will keep all posted. Thx!
katariusmaximus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:19   #49

So I finally took the plunge and got a November manufactured Blue Vento TSI. Booked it a little after my earlier post and got the delivery from VW Palace Cross on the 20th. The Diwali holidays added to a couple of days. The SA Mr. Kiran was very good and meticulous and I didnt encounter any hiccups during the entire process from booking to arranging finance to doing a pre-registration check and delivery with VW Palace Cross. Owing to Volkfest, insurance was free and got the finance from VW finance at 9.75%. Paid for the mud flaps and VW mats and took the 0% depreciation add on insurance and 2 year extended warranty as well.

It sure is a "Heart" car and have been enjoying the ride (including a commute to office involving many kms of bumper to bumper traffic, which would've been a pain in the manual). Plan on writing a comprehensive piece on the entire process when have a little time

Thx everybody for your help in making the decision!
katariusmaximus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 05:28   #50
BHPian

Default Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariusmaximus View Post

Ciaz AT: The car takes off well in D mode and gains speed reasonably and the other modes (2 and L) are best left while tackling hills/steep inclines. I tried putting the car in 2 and and found the acceleration quicker as each gear was held till higher rpm but the engine became loud. Overall the gearbox was smooth. ARAI figure of 19.12 kmpl and to an extent the rear sun shade. Add to this the low maintenance cost and general assurance of a Maruti are making Ciaz a good option over Vento (which will have a higher maintenance cost+fear of the DSG failure).
Spot on. I test drive as well and can't agree more with all the observations you've made in comparison to Vento.

Congratulations on owning a Vento.

Are you sure ciaz is a TC and not CVT? I am getting mixed feedback on TBHP whereas the sales rep says it's a CVT. Hard to believe TC giving 19 KMPL ARAI

With your latest post just to clarify are you saying Vento turned out to be just 1.25L more? I'm quoted 10.7 Mumbai Octroi less region for ZXI AT ciaz with Maruti insurance charged at ~27K.

What was your final quote for Ciaz and Vento?

Last edited by TMRT : 9th December 2015 at 05:58.
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 11:18   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Spot on. I test drive as well and can't agree more with all the observations you've made in comparison to Vento.

Congratulations on owning a Vento.
Thanks!
Are you sure ciaz is a TC and not CVT? I am getting mixed feedback on TBHP whereas the sales rep says it's a CVT. Hard to believe TC giving 19 KMPL ARAI
As far as I know, the 1.4L petrol engine on Ciaz is not turbocharged.

With your latest post just to clarify are you saying Vento turned out to be just 1.25L more? I'm quoted 10.7 Mumbai Octroi less region for ZXI AT ciaz with Maruti insurance charged at ~27K.

What was your final quote for Ciaz and Vento?
Ciaz on road was about 12.01 L (thanks to Maruti reducing the ex-showroom price of ZXI AT to an amount less than 10L a few months ago hence attracting a lower road tax) and Vento was around 13.17 (including 17800 for 2 years extended warranty and around 11000 for 0% depreciation insurance add-on).

On a separate note, like I said earlier, Vento is a hoot to drive when compared to Ciaz
katariusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 12:09   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Ciaz is a definitely 4 Speed TC. The same box used in the Dzire/Ritz. Only the Baleno has a CVT.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 05:47   #53
BHPian

Default Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

This thread and its under 10 sibling is a great handy reference to do all the 'Before-you-Buy research'. Thanks a zillion to RAJEEVRAJ for the efforts put in towards compiling these!

I have driven automatics for 15+ years and don't want incumbent feeling of smoothness to win over novel AMTs pulling Diesel engines although tend to conclude that TUV being such a heavy 3pot Diesel engine, an AMT gear box does not seem ready just yet as it struggled with those hard to ignore jerky experiences at every gear shift like the ones I experienced in my two test drives .

Scorpio AT TD was a far better experience than TUV and if my budget wasn't prohibiting I would have definitely considered the Scorpio AT. May be for my next upgrade and may be by that time MM has it on the lower variants to make it under 13L

DSG/DCT in general already ruled out as a choice of auto gear box for my next car! So if I were to buy an automatic my next vehicle's got to be a conventional TC or a CVT how much ever rubber-bandish it may sound. But that means resorting to a sedan for now. Silver Lining: far more improved FE figures in 2015 than my 1.2l i10 Asta AT from 2011.

I'm positive over the course AMTs will be better tuned to pulling awe inspiring road taming TUV type beasts!

Last edited by TMRT : 10th December 2015 at 06:09.
TMRT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:01   #54
BHPian

Copying my Questions from a deleted thread and taking it forward.

I sold my A4 2.0 Diesel and am looking for a replacement with the below criteria

1) Should be petrol, since my monthly run is roughly 200~250 kms. Office is around 10 kms one way and I alternate between 2 cars, 3rd being used by wife.
2) The car is 99% Chauffeur driven, so Backseat comfort is mandatory. The Ingress and exit in an A4 was terrible, that being the main reason for me selling it.
3) Auto transmission, since I need the convenience when I drive it.
4) Not be a German or European Car,since I am done with them.

I own a City CVT and an Innova ( which I will be replacing with a Petrol BRV later on).
Going by the research on Tbhp, the Ciaz VXi + AT looks like a good option. Does it have a DRL option by any chance?

I was also considering the Scross, but there is no Petrol option in that. I am open to Faux SUV's too.

What do you guys suggest?

1) Go for Ciaz AT ( or any other Auto sedan as you deem fit) now and a Petrol BRV later to replace the Innova.
2) Or a Diesel S Cross and a Petrol BRV, so as to keep 1 Diesel in the stable for the occasional Outstation trips.

I can wait for a couple of months, if something interesting is planned.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.:
I should have added that I am done with buying overpriced cars too

My Budget at the moment is around 15 Lakhs, so not considering the Accord/Camry.

Th Altis as suggested by many, also crosses 20 Lakhs OTR.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 17:29   #55
AYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Copying my Questions from a deleted thread and taking it forward.

1) Go for Ciaz AT ( or any other Auto sedan as you deem fit) now and a Petrol BRV later to replace the Innova.
2) Or a Diesel S Cross and a Petrol BRV, so as to keep 1 Diesel in the stable for the occasional Outstation trips.
In that budget, the Honda City is the best choice for you especially as backseat comfort is of paramount importance. The backseat of the City is much better than the Ciaz as far as comfort is concerned. In terms of shear knee-room, the Ciaz is a tad better. However, most of the folks wouldn't be using that extra knee-room. Also the AT gearbox of the City is much better.

I see that you are not considering Corolla due to its high price, then why don't you check out the Elantra AT petrol. It is already priced lower than the Corolla and assuming that the Hyundai dealership gives you a better discount(which they usually do), you might be able to get the Elantra for 1-1.5 lakhs less than the Corolla.
As you are coming from an Audi A4, the Elantra might provide a better balance of economy and comfort.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 17:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
1) Should be petrol, since my monthly run is roughly 200~250 kms. Office is around 10 kms one way and I alternate between 2 cars, 3rd being used by wife.
2) The car is 99% Chauffeur driven, so Backseat comfort is mandatory. The Ingress and exit in an A4 was terrible, that being the main reason for me selling it.
3) Auto transmission, since I need the convenience when I drive it.
4) Not be a German or European Car,since I am done with them.

Going by the research on Tbhp, the Ciaz VXi + AT looks like a good option. Does it have a DRL option by any chance?

I was also considering the Scross, but there is no Petrol option in that. I am open to Faux SUV's too.

What do you guys suggest?

P.S.:
I should have added that I am done with buying overpriced cars too

My Budget at the moment is around 15 Lakhs, so not considering the Accord/Camry.
From the current choices the Ciaz is the best fit based on your requirements. The Ciaz AT now comes in the ZXI+ variant. Since you have the budget, would be good to go for the top variant. Ciaz does not get DRL's but gets projector headlamps. With leather type interiors, 7 inch touchscreen etc. the ZXi+ cabin will be a good place to be.

The other choices choice would be the Ecosport, but probably not the choice for a Chauffeur driven car.

The BRV should come in Petrol AT guise. Again, the back seat comfort may not match the Ciaz.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th March 2016 at 17:47.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 18:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
In that budget, the Honda City is the best choice for you especially as backseat comfort is of paramount importance.

I see that you are not considering Corolla due to its high price, then why don't you check out the Elantra AT petrol.
As you are coming from an Audi A4, the Elantra might provide a better balance of economy and comfort.
I already have 1 Honda City CVT. I will surely check the Elantra. I am going to check the Corolla too. The A4 is a driver's car for sure. I learnt it the hard way. Other than the driver and maybe the co-passenger, no one enjoys anything about the car. It is plain boring behind.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:34   #58

I am looking to buy an AT car, mostly for Mumbai city driving (Office and back round trip is ~15km) and the occasional weekend drives to the weekend locations around Mumbai. Monthly running would not be more than 500-600 kms. Once in a while I also plan to do a long trip, however, the mileage clearly calls for a Petrol.

We already own a ZXI manual Swift which both me and my wife enjoy driving (It is 4yrs old). The increasing traffic, a back problem and the desire to upgrade were the key reasons for me to start looking out for a new car. My focus was on the OTR 12L in Mumbai segment and this thread was quite helpful for the search.

Basis various team-bhp threads and reviews, I had shortlisted the following cars: VW Vento TSI, Honda City, Ford Ecosport Petrol AT. The wife also threw in the Maruti Ciaz and the Hyundai Verna into the mix. My key selection parameters were: a. the car should not be boring and must feel not too depressing to drive compared to the Swift (which we absolutely love), b. the finish and the features should all make us feel like we have upgraded and c. the car should look decent. My wife’s had a different approach to the key selection parameters: .a. the car should be fun to drive, b. must be reliable and c. should have a good resale value. Both of us also had the ability to veto one car.

VENTO TSI:

We first decided to test drive the Vento. We visited the VW Downtown, where Shabariesh (good guy) took us on a 30 min test drive. We enjoyed the drive on the S mode, the D mode was just a patient and quite mode (in my better half’s words, when you start, 0-20 be in S and then move to D). The quality of drive on the S mode really made me a fan. The ride on the D mode however was just plain boring. The car was super stable, didn’t realize when it hit 80 and then 100 came along without any drama. In fact the car was so quiet, my wife had to ask the SA if it was on.
The car was positioned as a driver’s car by the sales person. The features in the top end were comparable to most of the other top ends and the interior felt quite nice and really like ‘an upgrade’ from the swift. However, the limited color selection, the inability to distinguish between an older Vento and a new one other than colors and the VW reliability, cost of ownership and resale values weighed in on our mind. The fact there the engine is turbocharged can also means that there are more parts and there are more things that can go wrong (not sure if this is true).

ECOSPORT AT 1.5L P:

Since there are no Ford showrooms in South Mumbai, the Ford showroom in Andheri were kind enough to send over a car to our residence. They were quite prompt and responsive and Krunal the sales person was patient in explaining all the features and details. We took a 30 min test drive over a different route. The ride was quite un-eventful, the car felt slower than the Vento and sluggish. It was almost like a heavy body has been attached to a small engine. The Ecosport could do with some upgrade on the console (maybe throw in a touch screen). The DRLs as others have pointed out are barely visible. The front driver seat however was quite comfortable, and the ability to enter and exit also helped.
The car was clearly positioned as a safety focused car for a new family –this however did not matter much to us. The wife didn’t like the looks of the car, or the quality of drive – so she decided it was a good time to exercise her veto.

HONDA CITY Petrol:

The Honda showroom is owned by the same folks who run the VW showroom, however the stark difference in the attitude and the behavior was quite noticeable – the VW staff would attend to you and make you feel super comfy while at Honda you had to probably wear an orange jumpsuit and jump up and down before someone even acknowledged your presence. By the time we got to the test drive we knew more about the car’s features by googling in our waiting time, than what the SA did. The SA was a new person and was quite quiet (PI). He also seemed a bit disengaged and seemed to be just waiting for the day to end.
The test drive was on a VX variant with flappy paddles et. al., however this was priced out of my proposed budget and so the idea was to see how the car would behave without touching them. The car in the economy mode and in D would put to sleep the driver, had it not been for all the loud noise coming out of the engine compartment. The car in S mode and in D mode felt no different other than for the level of noise – the car at 80 felt like it was moving mountains inside the trunk, which felt quite odd compared to the Vento where we didn’t even realize when the car crossed 80. My wife was quick in pointing out that the 0-20 in both the cars were similar (sans the noise). Since I am no Hamilton and that is speed band in which most of my daily driving would be, how does it matter?
The fact that the SV variant was lacking in most of the features we were getting in the other cars, and the uninspiring drive made me almost veto the car, however, I decided to conserve it till I have seen all the cars. The SA was clearly positioning the car as something which is reliable and will give you a good resale price – who cares about driving the car or the features you get. However, he also let it slip that there may be an upgrade on its way. A senior SA later said no such upgrades are on its way, but looks like a June/July facelift may be on its way.

VERNA AT 1.6L P:

While the Verna AT was not available at the showroom for a test drive, we saw a car inside the showroom – clearly the car looked large and spacious, the new looks and the features were also quite impressive. The showroom SA has promised to get the petrol AT test car in 10 days. Will be eagerly waiting to try it out. However, the fear of a new Verna coming out next year which will impact resale price, weighs in our minds.

CIAZ AT ZXI+:

The Sai Service in Phoenix and the Nexa next door were packed with people and we were genuinely worried we would have to wait for a few decades to get to ride the Ciaz AT. However unlike the Honda experience, the SA at Maruti was quite eager to get us to try out the car. He took it out of the parking and got us a good 30 mins of drive time in fading lights. The traffic at this point was not really helpful, however, in terms of driving experience what hit us was a really pleasant 0-40km acceleration in the D mode. The drive mode with OD off was very similar to a manual car and car felt quite good. The first question after I started driving to the SA was ‘kitna deti hain’ because I just felt such lower end acceleration would mean terrible mileage. But he quoted a 9 kmpl in city which is what all the other SAs were quoting. I also asked a friend who owns a Ciaz later and he confirmed that he gets 10-12 in city. The ZXI+ also comes with a 16” alloy wheel set and a very useful touch screen.
The car however, like the City was loud and beyond 50 felt like it was being stretched. A better gear box would have really helped. The car looks pretty (first time both the wife and I agreed on something) and in black with better looking rims would be quite pretty (and a scratch magnet). The touch screen, the faux wood finish, soft touch box (reminded me of my boss’s Jag) were all cool, however the ac reminded me of the Swift and so did the steering wheels!
The 2 mode was not a sports mode as the SA pointed out, but to quote the manual “Use this position to provide extra power when climbing hills, or to provide engine braking when going down hills”. This has also given me a sense of how to limit the gears used by the CIAZ 4 speed: Only use gear 1 by using L mode, up to gear 2 by moving up to 2 mode, up to gear 3 by keeping the car in D and in ‘O/D off’ and all gears by using the D gear and the ‘O/D on’ mode. Happy to be corrected if this understanding is wrong.
In the end the CIAZ AT was quite an interesting ride however the car felt stretched and unrefined, and the car did not feel like a major upgrade from Swift other than for the AT and the size of the car. However 0-50 was a lot of fun and the reverse parking camera in the ZXI+ made a lot of sense.

SCORING:

We used a formula of force ranking and both of us had different weight age for different criteria. This is before throwing the Verna into the mix. My results were #1 CIAZ and VENTO (very similar scores), #3 CITY and #4 ECOSPORT. The wife came out with #1 CIAZ, #2 CITY, #3 VENTO and #4 ECOSPORT.

So ultimately I am torn between the Ciaz and the Vento. The other option is to just postpone the purchase till the City and the Verna bring out the new versions next year. The third option is of course to continue with the Swift as a weekend vehicle and use Uber + Ola for daily commute.
CrimsonKnight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKnight View Post
The quality of drive on the S mode really made me a fan. The ride on the D mode however was just plain boring. The car was super stable, didn’t realize when it hit 80 and then 100 came along without any drama. In fact the car was so quiet, my wife had to ask the SA if it was on.
The car was positioned as a driver’s car by the sales person. The features in the top end were comparable to most of the other top ends and the interior felt quite nice and really like ‘an upgrade’ from the swift. However, the limited color selection, the inability to distinguish between an older Vento and a new one other than colors and the VW reliability, cost of ownership and resale values weighed in on our mind. The fact there the engine is turbocharged can also means that there are more parts and there are more things that can go wrong (not sure if this is true).

In the end the CIAZ AT was quite an interesting ride however the car felt stretched and unrefined, and the car did not feel like a major upgrade from Swift other than for the AT and the size of the car. However 0-50 was a lot of fun and the reverse parking camera in the ZXI+ made a lot of sense.
I think you already have your heart set on the VW, but the head demands peace of mind like the Maruti. Coming from a seriously FtD car like the Swift, the Vento is an ideal upgrade.
When it comes to reliability concerns, a VW is not a Maruti. But since the release of the GT TSi in 2013, I don't think there have been any documented cases of the DQ200 7-speed DSG failing in the Polo/Vento twins. Most of the DQ200 failures are in the Octavias & Superbs, which operate at nearly the rated torque limit of the gearbox (250Nm), while the 1.2 TSI is at 170Nm. Maintenance cost-wise, while the Maruti may have cheaper services, but much much shorter service intervals.

When it comes to external looks, I find that the current Vento looks very different from the pre-facelift, and more like a mini-Jetta. It has some sweet looking tail lamps as well. I personally find the Ciaz too long.

From a fellow 1.2 TSi+DSG owner, hope you join the gang.

Cheers,
Sid.

P.S. If you do take another TD of the VW, try redlining in S2. Then make your choice.
sidparekh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 15:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKnight View Post
I am looking to buy an AT car, mostly for Mumbai city driving (Office and back round trip is ~15km) and the occasional weekend drives to the weekend locations around Mumbai. Monthly running would not be more than 500-600 kms. Once in a while I also plan to do a long trip, however, the mileage clearly calls for a Petrol.

So ultimately I am torn between the Ciaz and the Vento. The other option is to just postpone the purchase till the City and the Verna bring out the new versions next year. The third option is of course to continue with the Swift as a weekend vehicle and use Uber + Ola for daily commute.
Thats a well thought out analysis.

Since both of you have the Fun to Drive parameter at the top of your list, my recommendation would be the Vento. The D mode is tuned for efficiency and may feel a little boring initially, but the DSG does adapt to your driving style and if you drive with a heavy foot in D mode, it does perform better. Also, I don't think you need to worry about the TSI engine, it is a tried and tested unit used across the world in different configurations. The DSG is more of a worry factor. But no major failures reported.

Would not recommend the Verna AT at this time. Not too far from a new version and considering the Creta gets the 6 speed AT (and there are rumors of the i20 also getting the 6 speed), pretty sure that a new Verna AT will come with the 6 speed AT box.

The City SV loses out on a lot of nice to have things. Keeping the Fun to Drive factor aside, the Ciaz would also suit your needs, considering most of the usage is inside the City where the disadvantages related to high speed will not be visible. Reliability and resale would definitely be better with a Maruti as opposed to a VW. From that perspective, Ciaz is the safer choice.

Basically the Vento fits your criteria best. I think your choice depends on how much weightage your wife gives to the Fun to Drive factor as compared to resale and reliability. If Fun to Drive is Critical, it is Vento all the way. Else a close fight between the Vento and Ciaz

Edit: Maybe worthwhile looking at the newly launched Creta Petrol AT. Misses out on some features as it comes only in the SX+ variant.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th May 2016 at 15:35.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote