Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


View Poll Results: What do you think is ideal for me, given the conditions
Sell off the Vento and keep the Micra 27 12.62%
The Micra goes and the Vento stays 154 71.96%
Sell both and get a Figo Trend 18 8.41%
Sell both and buy a Swift Vdi 15 7.01%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2016, 10:07   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

I am in a similar boat, with a 2014 amaze petrol that I don't intend to sell, and a 2009 i10 with hardly 64k on the clock that I picked up a few months back and then spent like twenty five thousand on servicing it, adding reverse parking, a fresh sun film, and scuff protector beading on the sides. Purrs like a kitten after my trusted fng did some magic on it.

But I'd bought it for my wife to learn on before she gets another car and she's unfortunately a nervous driver.

For the last few months she manages to take the car out through a crowded market with either me or the driving school instructor near her, but is rather scared to drive through even our empty side street when alone.

So she decided to go back to uber and autos or get a driver for the i10. Funnily enough there's no drivers to be found (in Adyar chennai) who will take a 13k or even 15k salary for what's going to be several short local runs a day 7 am to 7 pm.

Wonder if it's just the wrong time of the year to find drivers as families will only shift out around April / may after their kids exams and so have to let go their driver. Either that or many of them have got tied up driving for ola and uber so not many are driving for families now.

But anyway back to the car - it's mostly lying idle and has to be parked in the street, the amaze takes up my one parking space and no more space available, it is a small apartment not a big building society. So I am the only one who uses it now - occasionally just so that it doesn't wear out just lying idle. And if I give this to a driver - the clutch etc are likely to go for a toss sooner rather than later.

Dilemma now is whether to sell the i10 and let my wife stick to uber for local runs to my kids schools, music classes, her shopping and temple visits etc (all in a 2..5 km radius of our apartment), or get a driver and take my chances that the car will soon need expensive maintenance.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 16:20   #122
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Hi Piggybacking on this thread (Mods, please feel feee to move this if it's not relevant here). Need some advice on replacing my 2014 Swift ZDi

I own a 2014 Swift ZDi which has clocked around 33k KM's so far. I currently live around 21kms from office and hence i had bought a diesel. However, I plan to shift closer to the office in a few months (3 kms). So I may not need a car for daily commute rather for outstation trips. With the Swift the disadvantage is the boot space. I need some advice around what my options are:

1) Want a car with a decent boot space and comfortable rear seats (we use a child seat for my 10 month old daughter)

2) Can't take an SUV since my wife would also drive.

3) Can't take a new loan so will have to be in the price I can get from the Swift even if I have to buy a used car.

There is no loan on the Swift. Would love to get some thoughts on this.
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:20   #123
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,060
Thanked: 6,931 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
Hi Piggybacking on this thread (Mods, please feel feee to move this if it's not relevant here). Need some advice on replacing my 2014 Swift ZDi

I own a 2014 Swift ZDi which has clocked around 33k KM's so far. I currently live around 21kms from office and hence i had bought a diesel. However, I plan to shift closer to the office in a few months (3 kms). So I may not need a car for daily commute rather for outstation trips. With the Swift the disadvantage is the boot space. I need some advice around what my options are:

1) Want a car with a decent boot space and comfortable rear seats (we use a child seat for my 10 month old daughter)

2) Can't take an SUV since my wife would also drive.

3) Can't take a new loan so will have to be in the price I can get from the Swift even if I have to buy a used car.

There is no loan on the Swift. Would love to get some thoughts on this.
If you sell the Swift, I assume you will get somewhere between 5-6 Lakhs? (Just a rough guess). Since that will be your max budget, you will not get any proper sedan for that price (Considering Sedan since you want a good boot space and also making the assumption that the change should feel like an upgrade). Hence would recommend the pre-owned route. 6 Lakhs is a good budget for a lot of the C Segment Sedans. A simple and safe choice would be a Honda City. But plenty of other options too.

Having said that, maybe wise to wait and watch. Use the Swift for a couple of highway runs and see if it really not meeting your needs- Since luggage space is your only concern.

Note: You will get more responses if you post in one of the threads dedicated to 'What Car'
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:25   #124
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 454
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post

There is no loan on the Swift. Would love to get some thoughts on this.
I would say keep the Swift. And for the highway trips, rent a self drive!

While the Swift isn't a depreciation disaster (even after the new model), your car is practically new. Selling it for a used car doesnt make a lot of sense.

Last edited by manson : 27th January 2017 at 14:04.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:23   #125
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 288
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
Hi Piggybacking on this thread (Mods, please feel feee to move this if it's not relevant here). Need some advice on replacing my 2014 Swift ZDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I would say keep the Swift. And for the highway trips, rent a self drive!
+1 Considering you cant take a loan or stretch budget keep the current car as its almost new and a proven workhorse from Maruti.

But:

With new model in place it will depreciate and that will not fetch good price meaning in near future you will be in a situation with a itch to buy and this time even lesser money in pocket.

Logical way out is sell current vehicle for 5-6 lakhs or whatever you get and put minimum money in it and get sedan with year end deals. I think Accent would be economical to buy as its a low selling product.

Or completely forget about buying a new vehicle until loan option or economics become viable. Whatever you do don't throw away the money you get from selling by settling on a useless purchase.

Last edited by heydj : 5th January 2017 at 21:26.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 10:32   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

bumping this thread sorry for the fullquote mods .. folks i'd really appreciate your opinion on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am in a similar boat, with a 2014 amaze petrol that I don't intend to sell, and a 2009 i10 with hardly 64k on the clock that I picked up a few months back and then spent like twenty five thousand on servicing it, adding reverse parking, a fresh sun film, and scuff protector beading on the sides. Purrs like a kitten after my trusted fng did some magic on it.

But I'd bought it for my wife to learn on before she gets another car and she's unfortunately a nervous driver.

For the last few months she manages to take the car out through a crowded market with either me or the driving school instructor near her, but is rather scared to drive through even our empty side street when alone.

So she decided to go back to uber and autos or get a driver for the i10. Funnily enough there's no drivers to be found (in Adyar chennai) who will take a 13k or even 15k salary for what's going to be several short local runs a day 7 am to 7 pm.

Wonder if it's just the wrong time of the year to find drivers as families will only shift out around April / may after their kids exams and so have to let go their driver. Either that or many of them have got tied up driving for ola and uber so not many are driving for families now.

But anyway back to the car - it's mostly lying idle and has to be parked in the street, the amaze takes up my one parking space and no more space available, it is a small apartment not a big building society. So I am the only one who uses it now - occasionally just so that it doesn't wear out just lying idle. And if I give this to a driver - the clutch etc are likely to go for a toss sooner rather than later.

Dilemma now is whether to sell the i10 and let my wife stick to uber for local runs to my kids schools, music classes, her shopping and temple visits etc (all in a 2..5 km radius of our apartment), or get a driver and take my chances that the car will soon need expensive maintenance.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 10:55   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
bumping this thread sorry for the fullquote mods .. folks i'd really appreciate your opinion on this.
Letting a car idle away is the worst thing to do. Any machine is meant to be kept running regularly to be in the best of shape.

I would have recommended to hold on to it if it had been a very old car whose resale value can be "forgotten". For your case, I would suggest to sell it off and stick to your Amaze. Once your wife is comfortable driving and/or you are in real need of another car, getting another pre-owned car wouldn't be tough.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 11:04   #128
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,060
Thanked: 6,931 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
bumping this thread sorry for the fullquote mods .. folks i'd really appreciate your opinion on this.
My opinion. A driver does not make sense. 13-15K a month for mostly short runs is not worth it. Translates into 800-900 Rs per week-day. I doubt you will spend anywhere close if you rely on Ubers and Autos. In addition, there is the maintenance and fuel costs.

To retain or sell?. My take is sell it off. If your wife has tried and switched back to Uber and Auto's, I doubt she will switch back. My wife drives reasonably well, but does not really like to drive. So even though the car is at home, she prefers Uber and the likes. And it actually makes sense too.

At some point in the future, if it reaches a point where she is forced to drive, then look at a purchase at that time. Buy an Automatic (assume the i10 is not an AT). In the meantime, when convenient, let her drive your Amaze so that she keeps in touch with driving.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 11:33   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Thanks yes this makes a lot more sense to me. I will sell it off.

The car will not idle away - I take it out about once a week just so it doesn't waste away, and also gets used when my Amaze is in the garage for servicing, I've driven the car out of town (with a "call driver" who invariably rides the clutch) etc.

But keeping the vehicle around is a waste of money.

AT isn't the issue either for my wife, she becomes nervous when a vehicle overtakes from the left, comes from the opposite with a honking horn etc.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:03   #130
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post

But:

With new model in place it will depreciate and that will not fetch good price meaning in near future you will be in a situation with a itch to buy and this time even lesser money in pocket.
This is exactly my worry at this point. Considering that I have just bought a new house, I'm sure taking a new loan is going to quite difficult.

Just yesterday, I had to drop my wife and kid to the Airport and the luggage with the pram wouldn't fit.

I'm going to have to start thinking of selling the Swift even though I don't like it. I'll try the What car posts too....
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 19:25   #131
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,041
Thanked: 3,280 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Thanks yes this makes a lot more sense to me. I will sell it off.
+1 to Rajeevraj's post. Suggest to sell it off, than keep it. I have seen that situation where the wife does not want to drive. And that results in 2 cars for 1 person > PLUS expenses on cabs/ auto's.

Your regular car is the Amaze. It's not like a big one that is difficult to find parking space for in the city, or other conerns associated with big cars. By giving up the i10, I dont think you are going to miss much.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 19:42   #132
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 288
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post

Just yesterday, I had to drop my wife and kid to the Airport and the luggage with the pram wouldn't fit.
Frankly if you are changing your car for corner cases or once in a blue moon luggage trips then its not correct, I hope you think this through.

Ask yourself do I like Swift of bored of it completely, if bored then yeah change as no logic can stand in the way as its heart over head moment.

But if you like Swift and only changing for more luggage trips then ask yourself how many such times you will face in coming week and then multiply by 52. Then balance the loan EMI and other costs vs hiring a cab for such trips. Since this decision now is head over heart one let economics guide the way.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 20:30   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1 to Rajeevraj's post. Suggest to sell it off, than keep it. I have seen that situation where the wife does not want to drive. And that results in 2 cars for 1 person > PLUS expenses on cabs/ auto's.
Yup thanks for the good advice, sold it, and was snapped up in a day.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 12:06   #134
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Frankly if you are changing your car for corner cases or once in a blue moon luggage trips then its not correct, I hope you think this through.

Ask yourself do I like Swift of bored of it completely, if bored then yeah change as no logic can stand in the way as its heart over head moment.
I think you hit the nail on the head. All this time I was looking for logic, but it does seem to be heart over head. This weekend I made an outstation trip and borrowed a friends Terrano. I still have it after a week and don't feel like giving it back. So I guess, I'm kind over over the Swift love now.
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi dealer (Regent Garage, Delhi) fakes papers to sell older car as new aerohit Indian Car Dealerships 6 26th December 2015 21:32
Dec '91 Premier Padmini : Retain or Sell? EDIT : Keeping it !! vkarulkar Sedans 23 30th June 2013 19:21
What car/SUV which I can retain for over 5 years with few regrets ? jaidevmurti Sedans 14 27th August 2009 10:05
i10 Kappa or Ritz Lxi or Used Vista QJD - Which one to buy : An interesting dilemma mohandas Hatchbacks 20 13th August 2009 15:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks