Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

View Poll Results: What do you think is ideal for me, given the conditions
Sell off the Vento and keep the Micra 26 12.50%
The Micra goes and the Vento stays 149 71.63%
Sell both and get a Figo Trend 18 8.65%
Sell both and buy a Swift Vdi 15 7.21%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th November 2016, 10:07   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Garage dilemma: Retain one car, or sell both & buy a replacement?

I am in a similar boat, with a 2014 amaze petrol that I don't intend to sell, and a 2009 i10 with hardly 64k on the clock that I picked up a few months back and then spent like twenty five thousand on servicing it, adding reverse parking, a fresh sun film, and scuff protector beading on the sides. Purrs like a kitten after my trusted fng did some magic on it.

But I'd bought it for my wife to learn on before she gets another car and she's unfortunately a nervous driver.

For the last few months she manages to take the car out through a crowded market with either me or the driving school instructor near her, but is rather scared to drive through even our empty side street when alone.

So she decided to go back to uber and autos or get a driver for the i10. Funnily enough there's no drivers to be found (in Adyar chennai) who will take a 13k or even 15k salary for what's going to be several short local runs a day 7 am to 7 pm.

Wonder if it's just the wrong time of the year to find drivers as families will only shift out around April / may after their kids exams and so have to let go their driver. Either that or many of them have got tied up driving for ola and uber so not many are driving for families now.

But anyway back to the car - it's mostly lying idle and has to be parked in the street, the amaze takes up my one parking space and no more space available, it is a small apartment not a big building society. So I am the only one who uses it now - occasionally just so that it doesn't wear out just lying idle. And if I give this to a driver - the clutch etc are likely to go for a toss sooner rather than later.

Dilemma now is whether to sell the i10 and let my wife stick to uber for local runs to my kids schools, music classes, her shopping and temple visits etc (all in a 2..5 km radius of our apartment), or get a driver and take my chances that the car will soon need expensive maintenance.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote