Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 23rd May 2016, 23:13   #106
BHPian

Default re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

The question you have to ask yourself is which is more important "money or having a better car now"?

If more money is more important, sell the Vento and keep the Micra.

If the better car is more important, sell the Micra and keep the Vento.

At the end of the day, whatever else you do, keep one of the two cars and sell the other. Do not sell both and buy another car, unless you are going to buy a car that is different than what you already have, like a MUV/SUV.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 11:50   #107
BHPian

If it was me, I would have thought like this:

- Both the cars are diesels and have already been alive for about 3+ years, mostly out of warranty period and their resale value is going to drastically drop after a few more years. Now that the green tribunal is planning to ban 10+ year old diesels even in Kerala, the value would drop further.

- Your primary requirement is city drives. Another consideration is to have maximum liquid cash in hand right now.

- I would have sold both the cars for about 9-10 lakhs combined, bought a Tiago top end with maximum loan - the EMI should be just above what I can afford. This way, after a few months the EMI would become very much affordable and till then I adjust with the FD interest that the liquid cash I have.

Advantages:

- You get a decently spec-ed city car that is new and has its full life ahead with may be 4-5 years warranty.

- With about 2-3 lakhs loan, you are still left with 6-7 lakhs in hand. 6-7 lakhs can fetch you a decent amount in interest to fund the EMI and other expenses.

- Lower maintenance issues since its a brand new car. Till the warranty and extended warranty expires, no reason for worry.

Disadvantages:

- The Vento is much better spec-ed car.
devansn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 16:48   #108
BHPian

I have voted for the Micra to stay.

I am surprised to read that Micra service costs are so high! I didn't account for that because as per your average usage the service intervals would not be short and having a quick car in city makes more sense. Also the added advantage of the extra money Vento will give your bank account.

P.S: If the NGT ban is enforced the prices are going to take a nose dive shortly.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 18:37   #109
BHPian

I started writing this reply because the poll did not have the option that I wanted to vote for.
In my opinion, you should stick around with both the cars, at least for the next couple of years. The Micra, which as per your estimate should fetch 4 lakhs now will fetch say 3.5 lakhs in a couple of years time. You could use it over the next couple of years. The same applies for the Vento.
Selling would mean you are losing your capital. The depreciation hit over the next couple of years will be minimal as compared to what you have taken already. Also insurance would be cheaper. So hold on if you can for the next couple of years.
In case you want to let one of them go, let it be the Micra. You would lose less money. Period.
Baddychat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 22:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The question you have to ask yourself is which is more important "money or having a better car now"?
I really don't know what is a ballpark criteria to buy a car, and of what value, in the Indian scenario?

Kindly don't ask my specifics, but if anyone can guide me towards a general literature on the above, would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
The depreciation hit over the next couple of years will be minimal as compared to what you have taken already. Also insurance would be cheaper.
Is this really true? I do not think so. The Vento can go down and down and down over the years, going by the asking price in OLX and other classifieds.

Moreover, the insurance cost has somewhat stabilized I guess. I too was expecting a big reduction this year with the NCB too chipping in, but it stayed close to last years given that the government has increased the rates a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am surprised to read that Micra service costs are so high! I didn't account for that because as per your average usage the service intervals would not be short and having a quick car in city makes more sense.

P.S: If the NGT ban is enforced the prices are going to take a nose dive shortly.
The Micra needs to go to service twice a year even if the running is low, which is a big damper.

I'm wondering the opposite, that with the NGT ban on 2000cc plus vehicles, whether the market for 1600cc Vento goes up or not?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 00:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is this really true? I do not think so. The Vento can go down and down and down over the years, going by the asking price in OLX and other classifieds.

Moreover, the insurance cost has somewhat stabilized I guess. I too was expecting a big reduction this year with the NCB too chipping in, but it stayed close to last years given that the government has increased the rates a bit.
We might agree to disagree but if you search on other used car websites (including the TBHP classifieds) you would notice that the dip will be much lower as compared to what valuation the Vento has lost. And yes the insurance prices have gone up but your insurer might also have reduced the IDV of your vehicle by 15 %. Third party charges have gone up.
If you plan to sell one, keep the Vento, just for those weekends when you want to stretch your legs on the highways.
Baddychat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 01:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a very valid point coming to cars of the future. There is plain evidence that we have to go for a paradigm shift in terms of transportation and fuel, but mine being a tier-xx or lower city may be I can keep on a diesel for a longer period than the metro cities which gives me ample time for evasive action. Even the technology used in vehicles are on an exponential growth that much new cars are getting stale soon after arrival. This factor makes me doubtful of keeping any car for a long period in the near future.
My God, I never expected it this soon in Kerala; just after a couple of days of my post, Kerala bans 2000+ cc diesels both new and 10+ years old!

Will the above ban increase the demand for the <2000cc Vento (used/otherwise) in any way? Or will the VW dieselgate fiasco affect Vento owners?

My neighbor was boasting that his 19XXcc Jetta will now be the king of the roads; of course he missed counting those other cars <10 year old.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:28   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

I had earlier suggested to sell the Micra, and keep the Vento. Or sell both & get another. Reading the various responses, I think the Micra may be better one to keep. Vento may be good now, but there are some questions.

In the long run, the Micra can remain as a city car and Thoma can always go for a newer, bigger, better car when the time comes. The new car can be an addition to the garage.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 00:00   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I had earlier suggested to sell the Micra, and keep the Vento. Or sell both & get another. Reading the various responses, I think the Micra may be better one to keep. Vento may be good now, but there are some questions.

In the long run, the Micra can remain as a city car and Thoma can always go for a newer, bigger, better car when the time comes. The new car can be an addition to the garage.
I think this is what I will go by, though against popular opinion as per poll.

Too sad to let go off an almost unused Vento, but have to. Just have to hit the classifieds soon, the heart is taking a long time to give a final nod. My wife feels it difficult to take out the Vento as a city car and our highway trips are limited currently.

Living with the Micra, it's when the a/c is on, I feel the NVH more pathetic, especially when the compressor goes on and off often; otherwise I think I can just about bear the pretty average ride comfort and rear bench space.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2016 at 10:44. Reason: Typo
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

The Vento is gone and the regret is on.

Leaving the initial finances aside, is it wise in ditching the Micra for a new Figo?

I think I will be getting ABS and passenger airbags, better ride quality at slow speeds and of course better NVH. And then the rear bench space. All else do not matter much, for or against either of the cars. Adding on, I'm skeptical of Ford service and their cars in general. Nissan service was pretty okay in Kerala as it is managed by a known group.
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:43   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Vento is gone and the regret is on.
Been there, done that. I still miss my simple Sumo even after 3.5 years with the Storme.

Quote:
I'm skeptical of Ford service and their cars in general. Nissan service was pretty okay in Kerala as it is managed by a known group.
IMHO, all brands are the same. Build a relationship with the A.S.S, but dont forget due dilligence before, and after servicing - no matter which center, and no matter which company.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 23:31   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Build a relationship with the A.S.S, but dont forget due dilligence before, and after servicing - no matter which center, and no matter which company.
You are true. I had put in much effort to be diligent yet build a good rapport with both the Nissan and VW guys here. I did correct many a blunder done by the Nissan guys, meanwhile the VW guys were very competent and I will miss the comfort I enjoyed with them.
Old 26th November 2016, 06:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

So the heart won against the brain yet another time, but the heart is pacifying the brain so I do not care much. After all the dilemma, the heart feels contempt at present; except that it is a bit nervy treading on unknown waters, namely Ford. The regret in letting go of the Vento has come down a bit because of the new blue oval, and that the German has failed me twice with its' injector problems.

Thanks to all who responded on this thread, especially to D-BHPian condor who has been persistent on this thread, and to S-BHPian amalji for his help with Nippon Toyota. The only cars in consideration this time were the Liva, Swift and Figo. The Swift lost a close battle another time, against the Micra first and the Figo now. D-BHPian karan561's video review on the Figo is more than adequate along with our official reviews, but still I might log my thoughts and events, don't know when.

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20161113_133520.jpg
thoma is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 14:17   #119
BHPian

Smile re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
So the heart won against the brain yet another time
Congratulations thoma on the Figo, this is one competent hatchback with VFM price tag.

One of the rare occasions where the thread starter seeking advice on the forum has come back to update Kudos to that

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 26th November 2016 at 14:36.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 16:53   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Congratulations thoma on the Figo, this is one competent hatchback with VFM price tag.

One of the rare occasions where the thread starter seeking advice on the forum has come back to update Kudos to that
Actually most data was available with myself and it was me who had to decide but still was not able to, so I turned to the Team-BHP family and indeed got a few responses which cleared the mind. Though I went against popular opinion, it was these few posts, maybe with a different opinion, that triggered clearing the road block.

VFM definitely, but comfortable and powerful too.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote