Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 2nd November 2016, 13:45   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

Why don't we have factory fitted CNG kit for diesel cars? Pardon my ignorance, but I believe diesel engine can be converted to run on CNG. Most of the city buses in metros run on CNG which were earlier plying on diesel. Then why can't cars?
StepUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 12:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Why don't we have factory fitted CNG kit for diesel cars? Pardon my ignorance, but I believe diesel engine can be converted to run on CNG. Most of the city buses in metros run on CNG which were earlier plying on diesel. Then why can't cars?
My limited knowledge based on hearsay states that these diesel cars/transport vehicles had/have to be fitted with a Petrol engine and then only a CNG kit is fitted. I may be wrong though.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 23:05   #48
BHPian

Default Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

I have recently got a WagonR CNG for uber in Mumbai . A driver drives it on Mon-Sat and on Sundays I get to use the car to go to my classes etc. Few of the benefits of factory fitted CNG are as follows -

1. Car doesn't start if fuel lid is open.
2. Auto switches between CNG and petrol. Car starts on petrol and switches to CNG.
3. Factory fit and finish.
4. No need to get additional RTO and insurance work done. ( Incase of non factory fitted, RC endorsement and insurance update required). Another step of getting NOC from financier if car taken on loan.
5. CNG nozzle is inside engine bay in aftermarket CNG . Will require opening of bonnet every time one refills. Factory fitted CNG cars have nozzle beside petrol nozzle.

Cons of factory fitted CNG -

1. Limited choice of vehicles.
2. Retrofitted CNG kits have improved in quality and many offer warranties for CNG kit.
3. Tank size is fixed (in retrofitted kits, tank size can be chosen as per need).
4. Most CNG models are lower variants.

While depending on budget and requirements in a car, I'd recommend getting a petrol automatic car and retrofitting CNG kit from outside. So far done 5.5k kms in 4 weeks.

Last edited by blackwasp : 30th November 2016 at 23:08.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 01:07   #49
BHPian

I have a query about trying a car for Ola/Uber in Ahmedabad.
I want to get a new/used car as an Ola Taxi in Ahmedabad. The first option was to convert our Nano Twist to yellow plates and then register the vehicle. I'm not sure what the RTO charges would be, so that makes this option a bit tricky. Also, the Nano is a petrol car which gives about 14km/l in the city. Running costs will be high.
The second option is to go for a new hatchback like the Redigo or Celerio Diesel or the Wagon R CNG. This is what I really want to do but the price of a new Wagon-R CNG is quite close to that of a year old Swift Dzire in the used car market.
This brings me to the third option- go for a sedan like the Dzire or Ciaz. I liked the Ciaz and it is amazingly fuel efficient. However, I think it will be a bit of an overkill in the Taxi market since most other cars are compact sedans.
The current incentive model for Ola relies on the number of trips that a driver completes everyday. A Swift Dzire would earn Rs. 1.5k per day for 5 trips as compared to a Wagon-R which would have to make 7 trips for the same amount.
I'm a bit confused about the options. Thanks.
If this post is off-topic for this thread, please delete it. I found the nature of the query posted in the beginning similar to what I'm facing right now and that's why I posted here.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 11:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I would bank on the Dzire tour. Simply because of it's tried and tested, frugal and efficient diesel, cheaper on road price (i guess close to 7 lacs), spacious and comfortable etc. Else you can also look for the Toyota Etios,Hyundai Accent or the Ford Figo Aspire. You will need to figure out the cost of the car Vs the returns (including fuel and maintenance cost)

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th January 2017 at 09:00. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts when replying. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 11:40   #51
BHPian

My suggestion any car can be choosen provided following features are taken care of:

1.Easy to maintain
2.Fuel efficient
3.Safety features
4.Automatic
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 16:21   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to get a new/used car as an Ola Taxi in Ahmedabad. The first option was to convert our Nano Twist to yellow plates and then register the vehicle...
If you plan to get a used one, please ensure it's less than 4 years old. Ola / Uber don't accept cars older than that.

Quote:
...The second option is to go for a new hatchback like the Redigo or Celerio Diesel or the Wagon R CNG. This is what I really want to do but the price of a new Wagon-R CNG is quite close to that of a year old Swift Dzire in the used car market...
Please don't bother about the "funky" cars when you consider a taxi. I'd say "Go" would be a better choice than "Redigo". The advatage with Wagon R is that it can be run in both Mini & Micro segment as the rest two will be in "micro" segment.

Quote:
...This brings me to the third option- go for a sedan like the Dzire or Ciaz. I liked the Ciaz and it is amazingly fuel efficient. However, I think it will be a bit of an overkill in the Taxi market since most other cars are compact sedans...
Ciaz is an overkill. You should really keep the capital cost low when starting up. Please also think about the service & parts cost - they all keep increasing with higher segment / sticker price.

Quote:
...The current incentive model for Ola relies on the number of trips that a driver completes everyday. A Swift Dzire would earn Rs. 1.5k per day for 5 trips as compared to a Wagon-R which would have to make 7 trips for the same amount...
When a Dzire makes more money / trip, please also think how many rides you may get in a day compared to a Wagon R! As I said, a Wagon R can run as both Micro & Mini and there is a higher probablity that a Wagon R will be selected more times than a Dzire. Yes, the number of Wagon Rs running as a taxi also is high leading to a slightly lesser probability of getting the pick up request (in the "mini" pool).

I think a Wagon R CNG makes a lot of sense as it's one of the most sensible options in the price bracket. I think it still works out cheaper than a diesel car in running cost. Only disadvantage is the low tank capacity leading to quicker refills and more time in the long CNG queues.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th January 2017 at 16:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 17:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you plan to get a used one, please ensure it's less than 4 years old. Ola / Uber don't accept cars older than that.
For Uber, they do not accept a used car more than 2 years old.
Even for a new car, they have set a limit where it can be used in Uber only for 5 years.
Though most commercial cars on Ola/Uber run out of their useful lives by 2 or max 3 years, wherein they reach 200k on the odo easily.

Quote:
Do keep a note of the fact that if it is a MS, then it will command a good resale even after running 200k+ kms. I came across an Uber driver who ran a Dzire for 2.5 lakh kms and still sold it for 325k INR, and bought a Ritz.
On asking why not a sedan again, he mentioned that there are hardly any bookings done for UberX and 90% of the times they keep accepting bookings for UberGo.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th January 2017 at 17:51.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 18:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
For Uber, they do not accept a used car more than 2 years old...
The last I checked in Mumbai was 6 months back and I was told it's 4 years. Not sure they revised the condition after that.

Quote:
...Even for a new car, they have set a limit where it can be used in Uber only for 5 years...
This is an additional bit of info, never knew about this.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 20:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last I checked in Mumbai was 6 months back and I was told it's 4 years. Not sure they revised the condition after that.

My source of the above information are the chats I have with Uber drivers. I do not have any official confirmations on the same
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 06:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I would bank on the Dzire tour.
Thanks. Yes, the Dzire tour is a good car. It is the closest rival in ubiquity to the Indica cabs that used to be popular about 7 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
My suggestion any car can be choosen provided following features are taken care of:

1.Easy to maintain
2.Fuel efficient
3.Safety features
4.Automatic
True. I will not be driving it - so automatic is not a priority. However, maintenance, safety and FE are.

Quote:
If you plan to get a used one...more time in the long CNG queues.
I like the Wagon R CNG. It makes more sense, as you suggested. Even when I use Ola, I prefer the Mini or micro category depending on the wait time. I never select the Sedans because it makes no sense to pay more for the same distance unless you have lots of luggage.

Quote:
For Uber, they do not accept...keep accepting bookings for UberGo.
I went to the Ola office in Ahmedabad to discuss this. They said they accept sedans from 2011. For small cars like the Eon, Nano and Alto, they need a 2015-16 car. Resale is great for the WagonR CNG. It ages well too.

Quote:

Quote:
My source of the above information are the chats I have with Uber drivers. I do not have any official confirmations on the same
Not sure about Uber but for Ola they need sedans from 2011. Unfortunately, the True Value showroom in Ahmedabad did not have any Dzire models from that vintage. They relatively new ones on sale did not justify the price- a little bit more and you'd get a new car.
I think I'll go for the Wagon R CNG in June. I'm not in the country right now and will return then.
I wanted to see if it is actually as lucrative as it is made out to be. As long as the money invested gives a return that's more than the fixed deposit rate in a bank or the returns from blue chip stocks, I'll be happy.
I love the Tata Zest but I do not want to spend time sorting out niggles because this would not be a car I drive. If I had to drive it, I'd probably pick up the Zest XE.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th January 2017 at 08:59. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts when replying. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 09:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love the Tata Zest but I do not want to spend time sorting out niggles because this would not be a car I drive. If I had to drive it, I'd probably pick up the Zest XE.
If you like Zest, you can consider it too. I have been seeing a spurt in cab Zests on the road in the past 6 months. By June, these cars would be fairly old/used. Talk to a few cab drivers/owners of Zest and take their feedback about the vehicle performance and the niggles if any.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 11:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:

True. I will not be driving it - so automatic is not a priority. However, maintenance, safety and FE are.
Automatic in my view should be priority. I have spoken with multiple drivers in taxis complaining about back problems, leg issues etc because of choked driving conditions and having to do break clutch hours after hours. Now we cannot do anything about traffic by our selves but can make driving less taxing.

Economically:
Think of it from perspective of giving your employees a healthy work place. If driver remains fit then it translates to more trips per day and in turn more financial gain.

It may not have to be fancy or expensive DSG solution instead a basic AMT mated perfectly to car could be fine.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 18:25   #59
BHPian

Default Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

I'm running a car in uber in Mumbai and my aunt has 2.

3 cars are -

WagonR cng
Ritz petrol with aftermarket cng fitting
Indica diesel

If your goal is to earn lots of money then you'll need a minimum of 7-10 cars or drive one yourself.

Per car earnings after deducting salary, emi, fuel, toll, maintenance, loss of opportunity on down payment ( emi paid to oneself for giving DP), maintenance, regular cleaning can go over 10k rupees.

It's also driver dependant. Getting a good driver is key. Hence for that automatics are preferred. And you need to monitor the drivers, explain them the times to go and set targets as well.

My goal for the car is to not earn money but get additional car in the family which can by used when dad or I aren't available to drive mom/grandmother etc.

From my understanding so far, getting a petrol automatic and running on cng is the best combination. Diesels have uncertain future and expensive than CNG. Diesel is useful if you have outstation trips other than uber atleast 2/3 times a week.

Last edited by blackwasp : 5th January 2017 at 18:37.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 06:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If you like Zest, you can consider it too. I have been seeing a spurt in cab Zests on the road in the past 6 months. By June, these cars would be fairly old/used. Talk to a few cab drivers/owners of Zest and take their feedback about the vehicle performance and the niggles if any.
Yes. That's a good idea. Most of the Zests in the cab segment are less than a year old. A few more months and questions about the reliability can be addressed. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Automatic in my view should be priority. I have spoken with multiple drivers in taxis complaining about back problems, leg issues etc because of choked driving conditions and having to do break clutch hours after hours. Now we cannot do anything about traffic by our selves but can make driving less taxing.
True. I didn't think of it this way. I will try for a used Automatic if it is reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

If your goal is to earn lots of money then you'll need a minimum of 7-10 cars or drive one yourself.

Per car earnings after deducting salary, emi, fuel, toll, maintenance, loss of opportunity on down payment ( emi paid to oneself for giving DP), maintenance, regular cleaning can go over 10k rupees.
That's a good figure. I calculated it earlier and arrived at around 13-15k per month for a Mini/Micro cab considering the current incentive schemes on Ola.
Thanks. I'll explore the option of going for an automatic.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote