Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 2nd November 2016, 13:45   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

Why don't we have factory fitted CNG kit for diesel cars? Pardon my ignorance, but I believe diesel engine can be converted to run on CNG. Most of the city buses in metros run on CNG which were earlier plying on diesel. Then why can't cars?
StepUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 12:50   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Why don't we have factory fitted CNG kit for diesel cars? Pardon my ignorance, but I believe diesel engine can be converted to run on CNG. Most of the city buses in metros run on CNG which were earlier plying on diesel. Then why can't cars?
My limited knowledge based on hearsay states that these diesel cars/transport vehicles had/have to be fitted with a Petrol engine and then only a CNG kit is fitted. I may be wrong though.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 23:05   #48
BHPian

Default Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

I have recently got a WagonR CNG for uber in Mumbai . A driver drives it on Mon-Sat and on Sundays I get to use the car to go to my classes etc. Few of the benefits of factory fitted CNG are as follows -

1. Car doesn't start if fuel lid is open.
2. Auto switches between CNG and petrol. Car starts on petrol and switches to CNG.
3. Factory fit and finish.
4. No need to get additional RTO and insurance work done. ( Incase of non factory fitted, RC endorsement and insurance update required). Another step of getting NOC from financier if car taken on loan.
5. CNG nozzle is inside engine bay in aftermarket CNG . Will require opening of bonnet every time one refills. Factory fitted CNG cars have nozzle beside petrol nozzle.

Cons of factory fitted CNG -

1. Limited choice of vehicles.
2. Retrofitted CNG kits have improved in quality and many offer warranties for CNG kit.
3. Tank size is fixed (in retrofitted kits, tank size can be chosen as per need).
4. Most CNG models are lower variants.

While depending on budget and requirements in a car, I'd recommend getting a petrol automatic car and retrofitting CNG kit from outside. So far done 5.5k kms in 4 weeks.

Last edited by blackwasp : 30th November 2016 at 23:08.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote