Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Closed Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 04:00   #16
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Logical upgrade from an Optra Royale

Jetta 1.4 TSi

One can also get massive discounts on the Renault Fluence which is an excellent car IMO especially in terms of comfort, space and ride quality
Old 20th September 2016, 06:32   #17
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You had Optra for 9 years and I am sure you want to keep your next car for 9 or more years too. I had been there 3 months ago (mine was Cedia) and now I have Jetta 1.4 TSI and Bliss begins! Please do read my thread on Initial ownership and hope you will get some ideas.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 06:59   #18

I know you want a sedan and don't want a Maruti. But do check out the S Cross. It's not the usual Maruti. I was quite impressed with the quality.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:27   #19

Seeing your budget and requirements, three car meets your requirements.

Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSi (Comfortline)

• The understated styling, seems like it's going to last a lifetime!
  • Solid build quality, The best in the segment.
  • Safety Features on offer! Even though it's a mid trim Volkswagen India hasn't compromised on safety unlike other manufacturers. Gets 6 Airbags, ESP, ABS with EBD etc.
  • The Driveability of the 1.4 TSi engine in the city along with the excellent 6 Speed Manual box. It's surely going to plant a smile on your face whenever you take it for a spin. The Superb suspension is a bonus!
  • Driver Fatigue System (I love it )

• Overall poor equipment level, Not Available in the Highline trim.
  • No Option for an Automatic transmission
  • Lacks Its own presence, Seems like a combination of Vento and Passat. (No Offense to any owner of the vehicle)
  • Even though It's an extremely comfortable cabin, I wished for a little better Under Thigh Support.
  • Not a Highway Friendly car, cannot be pushed, Feels a little strained. Good enough for cruising around.
  • Interior quality even though great could have better! In terms of aesthetics, it indeed looks good but feel it and it doesn't feel solid enough when compared to the old Jetta.
  • Feels a little over-priced for a 1.4L TSi engine! Though the dealers are offering good discounts on the vehicle additionally the festive season.

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8

• One of the most spacious cabin ever seen! The new one has even more space than mine. Rear seat comfort is fantastic, the reclining feature is an added bonus.
  • Toyota's Robust after sales service and engines (Both the 1.8 Dual VVT-i Motor and 1.4D Motor), they can last a lifetime! Moreover, the cheap servicing cost makes the deal even sweeter.
  • Striking & Dynamic design! I hadn't expected this from Toyota!
  • Impressive Fit & Finish
  • An Excellent Cruiser, Suspension has been further improved.

• Overpriced!
  • Rubber band effect is quiet evident in the Petrol Variant
  • Weak on Safety Features though has good build quality
  • Overall equipment level is quiet decent though still lacks a number of features which the rivals offers. For e.g Dual zone climate control & Sunroof.
  • Interior quality is strictly average for a 20 Lakh Car! Doesn't gives the premium feeling. My Altis felt much better built when compared to the new one though the fit and finish is brilliant.
  • The cheap digital clock in the central console ruins the feel of the overall cabin. (I don't know if you folks felt the same or not!)

Hyundai Elantra 2.0

• Matured & Sophisticated design unlike the previous generation Elantra. A lot of folks says, the front is Audisque but as far as I can recall, Hyundai has hired designers from Audi to work on it's new vehicles. Hence the little similarity.
  • Again, a lot of folks might not agree with me but I loved it's new interiors. Looks absolutely simple, practical and built to last along with the tinch of sophistication. Exactly my taste! The older interior was a little too funky and sporty.
  • Value For Money Proposition, Extremely well loaded cabin when compared to rivals. I love the Ventilation system.
  • The three Driving Mode, A nice touch!
  • 8 inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
  • The Crazy refinement level! I don't know Hyundai nails it every time with all it's products.
  • The Suspension setup, Very European feel.
  • Spacious Cabin, further improved when compared to the older Elantra.
  • HMIL's strong after sales service and network

• The Petrol engine gets a little noisy at higher revs
  • Being a Hyundai misses out on features like Raining Sensing wipers and memory seats! Like seriously Hyundai?
  • Even though the handling has highly improved, the artificial steering feel still exists.
  • Proper safety kit is only available in the top of the line trim, rest gets multiple airbags with ABS and EBD only.

My Verdict:-

If you want a perfect all rounder, My pick will be the new Hyundai Elantra as it offers the best combination of design, features and engine at quiet a less price. Its a jack of all additionally, the strong after sales service would be a bonus. Moreover, IMHO, it currently looks the best in the segment.
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 11:16   #20

I'd look for a pre-owned Superb/Jetta/Laura automatic in your budget. Bangalore traffic situation is awful and is getting worse. You may miss not buying an auto. The problem in the 15-20 Lakh bracket is that there is a dearth of well equipped sedans. Most come in at 20+ or are a segment lower. If new then I'd buy the Vento TSI if it has to be petrol or a Rapid TDI DSG if considering a diesel.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 12:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread closed.

@ Viv3k: All the options listed here have been discussed in high detail earlier. Please search & read, instead of creating a repeat thread. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread