Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


View Poll Results: Are automatics faster than manual counterparts
Yes, Automatics are faster 6 9.38%
No way, Its manual transmission all along 31 48.44%
Cant' say, it depends on the vehicle 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 20:47   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed

To classify all types of automatic transmissions under a single 'AT' umbrella makes no sense. There are advanced autoboxes with launch control ( engine gets revved before the AT engages ) and throttle-blips before downshifts. I would stick my neck out and say that the advanced ATs in combination with dual clutches can given even the best driver with an MT a run for his money.
Thanks, you stole the exact words I was looking for

Advanced AT s are such fun that manuals feel insecure and llost
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 13:35   #122
BHPian
 
dezrskb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Udupi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Hi people,
I have now nearly decided on a new sedan and most probably it will be between 2.0L engine of Laura or VW New Jetta. Now my issue is - if finance is not an issue, should I go for an automatic or manual (I have uesd manual shifts all my life -that's to say in last 10yrs of my driving). Now that these cars I mentioned above have DSG gearbox of Volkswagen which is supposed to be a good thing as per most of the people who have experinced them, should I go for them? I test drove a new Jetta Automatic yesterday. In regular D mode, it shifts upwards slightly slower than I am used to (thats to say less sporty). In Sports mode it holds higher RPMs before shifting. But I guess it cant replace my shifting gears in anticipation of a situation. I will be using it in city most of the time but there will be highway drives as well. I am under the impression right now that for a sedate driver, automatic is better and I ask for a driving enthusiast like me, is it worth shelling extra money on an automatic shift also risking theoretically higher chances of failure (simply because there is more mechanics that can fail) and higher repair costs when I feel completely at home with manual? Is Automatic going to increase my driving pleasure?
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:00   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

With paddle shifts..yes driving experience is better..

I am in a similar dilemma too
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:17   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I test drove a new Jetta Automatic yesterday. In regular D mode, it shifts upwards slightly slower than I am used to (thats to say less sporty). In Sports mode it holds higher RPMs before shifting. But I guess it cant replace my shifting gears in anticipation of a situation. I will be using it in city most of the time but there will be highway drives as well. I am under the impression right now that for a sedate driver, automatic is better and I ask for a driving enthusiast like me, is it worth shelling extra money on an automatic shift also risking theoretically higher chances of failure (simply because there is more mechanics that can fail) and higher repair costs when I feel completely at home with manual? Is Automatic going to increase my driving pleasure?
There are 2 questions here.

1. Which is more pleasurable for an enthusiast? Well, certainly the manual, not because you will shift better than the AT (DSGs are terrifyingly precise) but because to an enthusiast, being in complete control of the all the functions of the car gives that feeling of enthusiasm and that rush of adrenaline.

2. Which is more reliable? Arguably, the manual again, at least when it comes to most cars. Simply because manual gear technology has been there since donkey cart's years now.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:32   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Beg to differ sir..automatics are reliable and more efficient.

Manuals are old tech.

Todays driving is definitely a lot easier than driving cars of yester years..be it automatic or manual..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:53   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Beg to differ sir..automatics are reliable and more efficient.
How many Skoda manual gearbox failures have been seen?
How many Skoda manual clutch failures have been seen?

On another front, even in Volvos, the failure rates of the AT units exceeds that of the manuals.

ATs are definitely new tech and are "supposed" to be more efficient but their failure rates to continue to be higher due the complexity of their construction and parts.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 17:59   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
How many Skoda manual gearbox failures have been seen?
How many Skoda manual clutch failures have been seen?

On another front, even in Volvos, the failure rates of the AT units exceeds that of the manuals.

ATs are definitely new tech and are "supposed" to be more efficient but their failure rates to continue to be higher due the complexity of their construction and parts.
Sir, skoda is not the bench Mark.

And look at a global scale and you'll follow what I meant.

Our poor maintenance practices add to the problems too..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 18:39   #128
BHPian
 
dezrskb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Udupi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Hi all,
Certainly automatic is a fantastic invention and makes the driving that much more easier and less complicated. But for somebody like me who has been driving manual ever since my first car 10 yrs back, changing gears comes as naturally as walking and doesn't make it difficult. What I am asking is 1. Is manual that inferior? Should I go automatic way just because I can afford it? 2. Am I not saving money and risking one less complicated mechanical part which can fail? especially when it costs less to buy a new manual vs new automatic in same? Also repair rates if at all it fails is quite high? Isn't there a extra servicing required at 40K with automatic? I understand in North America where so many have been driving automatics since the beginning find it difficult to learn manual shift driving. What I am asking is when I can drive a manual with equal ease, should I go the automatic way by shelling out extra money? is it that superior?
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 19:08   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

^^^^
Sir, if you are comfortable with a manual, there is no reason to change.

Good automatics are available only from Audi, Mercedes and BMW currently in India..afaik.

The rest are all secondary when it comes to driving pleasure.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 19:55   #130
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 715
Thanked: 374 Times
Post Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Is Automatic going to increase my driving pleasure?
Having driven manuals for 25 years of my life, I switched to Civic-AT as my first AT car.

Now (after 5 years and 1.2 lakh kms) I will never go back to manual again.

It takes sometime to get used to a particular AT model but once I got used to mine, the gear changes can be coaxed perfectly with the right foot. It is as if I have a telepathic connection with the transmission.

The driving pleasure is in no way diminished.
In fact, I never felt the need of the paddle-shifts, except in very, very rare circumstances.

Modern day automatics with their electronics and sensors are getting more and more better that manuals will go extinct someday in the future (my opinion).

I think manuals will be in future only for racing, which is forbidden on regular roads.

Last edited by manim : 5th August 2012 at 19:59.
manim is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:19   #131
BHPian
 
dezrskb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Udupi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Hi to everybody who is using an automatic.
Just wanted to know how easy or difficult it is to use an automatic while climbing uphill or while coming down? for example to and from a hill station? While coming down do you have to keep manually downshifting or do you need to use brakes excessively? I understand there is no so called "engine braking" in automatic. Does it keep shifting up when coming downhill? I know DSG has something called triptonic where I can manually downshift sequentially in D mode. But how long does it stay in this mode? Repeated use of this produces any extra strain on DSG box?
I hope you understand I have concerns regarding automatics as I have never owned one and having remained in control all the time with a manual shift, I find this forum best place to search answers as I hardly get any reliable information from a sales agent and members of this forum are well informed.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:23   #132
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

After buying A* Auto last year, one of m relative told me that my wife likes it as its very fast and since then I also find it very fast as I am very lazy in shifting gears.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:32   #133
Zed
BHPian
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 466
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi people,
I have now nearly decided on a new sedan and most probably it will be between 2.0L engine of Laura or VW New Jetta.
I will be using it in city most of the time but there will be highway drives as well.
If you are going to be spending most of your time in the city the automatic makes sense. I mean how much fun can you possibly have swapping gears in bumper to bumper traffic? Thats not to say that the DGS is no good on the highway. From two years of personal experience with my passat, I do not think it took away from the highway driving experience but just made things easier for my left foot and right hand. Inputs to the throttle govern gear shifts even in 'D' mode so its not all doom and gloom with regards to control and performance, as rightly mentioned in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi all,
Certainly automatic is a fantastic invention and makes the driving that much more easier and less complicated. But for somebody like me who has been driving manual ever since my first car 10 yrs back, changing gears comes as naturally as walking and doesn't make it difficult.
What I am asking is 1. What I am asking is when I can drive a manual with equal ease, should I go the automatic way by shelling out extra money? is it that superior?
There are some folks that shift to automatics because changing gears is a just a task to them. Then there are others - and I believe I belong to this category - who have no problems with manuals and perhaps even enjoy the odd wheel spin or two but find that modern automatics deliver the same level of performance with reduced effort. For one I find the physical effort (keeping mental satisfaction and other intangibles aside for the sake of objectivity) associated with driving is reduced with Automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^^
Sir, if you are comfortable with a manual, there is no reason to change.

Good automatics are available only from Audi, Mercedes and BMW currently in India..afaik.

The rest are all secondary when it comes to driving pleasure.
I have to say that I have a different perspective. Having driven an automatic i10 and the manual version of the same car in city traffic - I found driving the automatic more enjoyable and far less stressful. Again my definition of driving pleasure is not centred around wheel spins and power sliding through corners. Well atleast not anymore
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:32   #134
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 715
Thanked: 374 Times
Post Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Just wanted to know how easy or difficult it is to use an automatic while climbing uphill or while coming down? for example to and from a hill station?
I do regular hill-driving on the Nilgiris mountains (Ooty, Coonoor) and the AT on the Civic is perfect.

The Civic has something called 'grade-logic-control' which reduces 'hunting' gears.

Only when coming down on very steep slopes I force from the paddle to hold first-gear.
Otherwise nearly 100% of the time the 'D' mode does its job perfectly.
manim is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 20:37   #135
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 728
Thanked: 589 Times
Default Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

I drove MTs for 15 years and now my garage has 2 ATs (old tech torque converter). My experience is strictly non-DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi all,
What I am asking is 1. Is manual that inferior? Should I go automatic way just because I can afford it?
Certainly not. Good shifting manuals are great fun. However, if a lot of my driving is in a busy city, I would buy an AT - eyes closed. Nothing beats the convenience of a driving an AT in bumper to bumper commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
2. Am I not saving money and risking one less complicated mechanical part which can fail? especially when it costs less to buy a new manual vs new automatic in same?
If you're buying a new car, you can take an extended warranty and sleep peacefully. Normal Torque Converter ATs are robust units (ask me - I have a 10 year old AT). ATF (AT Fluid) changes every 30K and adding a good transmission filter help tremendously in prolonging life of the transmission if it's driven exclusively in the city. This can be done after 5 years of usage.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Also repair rates if at all it fails is quite high? Isn't there a extra servicing required at 40K with automatic?
Yes, repair rates are high. There are enough skilled mechanics in a city like Mumbai for repairing normal torque converter ATs once it's out of the warranty period. If ATF is changed regularly as mentioned above for rough usage, I don't think there will much of an issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I understand in North America where so many have been driving automatics since the beginning find it difficult to learn manual shift driving. What I am asking is when I can drive a manual with equal ease, should I go the automatic way by shelling out extra money? is it that superior?
It's not a question of 'superior'/'inferior' - rather, it's about your driving environment : urban/semi-urban/rural/highway environment. I can drive a manual perfectly well but am never going back to them as long as I have a crowded city commute.

In case you live in Udupi and travel in hilly areas, my suggestion is to stick to a manual.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHC Vtec vs Baleno (both stock) - which one is faster to the ton and beyond? BlackPearl Technical Stuff 196 8th December 2007 10:43
Which car is faster? Baleno or Vtec? speedfreak7116 Sedans 122 30th September 2005 22:25
An accord which is faster & have better fe than v6 _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 2 7th October 2004 14:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks