Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 6th May 2009, 18:13   #226
BANNED

@Phamilyman, Discussion is turning out to be extremely benificial to me.
Im learning & absorbing a lot of things.
Was/still unable to post due to damn BSNL broadband issues.
Will post actively when the issue gets settled, hopefully soon!
Thanks a lot fellows, your views/suggestions are priceless.

Raj, Im keeping a keen eye & watching everything, its just because of net problems, Im unable to post regularly.
Your suggestions are keeping my interest in Scorpio alive!

Also, read Tanvir's thread on his Safari purchase, was really informative.

Keep up the spirit guys!

Last edited by bhp1 : 6th May 2009 at 18:19.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:10   #227
BHPian

But Raj, haent you always been saying that the Safari handles rough roads better? As in, the overall comfort level of the Safari is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ bhp1: buddy, i would still recommend you the innova since interior space and top notch reliability are your priorities. but come rough roads & you will be more comfortable in a scorpio.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 12:10   #228
BANNED

Hi fellows, I shall be responding to individual posts a little later, for now Im just mentioning a gist of things from what little I have gathered:

SCORPIO - Reliability + Shape

SAFARI - Space + Comfortable ride

INNOVA - Reliability + Space

These are just few of the main positives of each vehicle that matter to me most. Now, Im not sure which combination to pick! What is present in one, is absent in the other!

PS: I did consider Bolero CRDI also because it has a comfortable ride & is reliable. But as a member on the forum in one of the threads quoted a discount of ~42k, the deal appeared lucrative but the local dealership when asked, offered only 5-10k in the name of discount. With such little discount, Bolero seems too expensive & so doesn't appeal much.

For now even Xylo is a contender as Ive heard, it has a good ride & is reliable too. Also is big on space but shape takes a beating!

Last edited by bhp1 : 11th May 2009 at 12:23.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 12:24   #229
BHPian

Hi BHP1, you seem to have cracked the code as far the scorpio / safari / innova debate goes. Now all that's left is to decide which combo you like most. All the best and let us know.
nvldvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 13:52   #230
Senior - BHPian

well summed up my friend

Xylo is an excellent option if VFM, Space, Comfort are important, but I agree, it could have been better looking.

Bolero VLX I m not sure I would recommend for your particular situation - despite all the changes, it is still far too basic in comparison with the others i.e;Safari, Scorpio, Innova.

My personal ranking (intended to help you to clarify things for yourself) would be;

1. INNOVA
2. XYLO
3. SCORPIO/SAFARI
4. BOLERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Hi fellows, I shall be responding to individual posts a little later, for now Im just mentioning a gist of things from what little I have gathered:

SCORPIO - Reliability + Shape

SAFARI - Space + Comfortable ride

INNOVA - Reliability + Space

These are just few of the main positives of each vehicle that matter to me most. Now, Im not sure which combination to pick! What is present in one, is absent in the other!

PS: I did consider Bolero CRDI also because it has a comfortable ride & is reliable. But as a member on the forum in one of the threads quoted a discount of ~42k, the deal appeared lucrative but the local dealership when asked, offered only 5-10k in the name of discount. With such little discount, Bolero seems too expensive & so doesn't appeal much.

For now even Xylo is a contender as Ive heard, it has a good ride & is reliable too. Also is big on space but shape takes a beating!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 17:19   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
But Raj, haent you always been saying that the Safari handles rough roads better? As in, the overall comfort level of the Safari is better.
yes, i still stick to that. but bhp's main priority is reliabilty & strictly in my opinion, the safari is not reliable.
if you read my above posts, i have mentioned that if bhp is ready to take the effort & is okay with frequent visits to the A.S.S, the safari is fine for him.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 19:24   #232
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio is More reliable than Tata Safari. For People who are in two minds about buying Scorpio should also consider one very important and amazing feature of the new mighty Muscular 2009 Scorpio.

The Micro-Hybrid Technology in the New Scorpio deserves special mention. This technology makes Scorpio the environment friendly vehicle.

The Micro-Hybrid Technology Switches off the engine when it is idling for too long (Like at a traffic signal). The engine immediately starts again the moment the clutch is depressed. This technology helps save fuel to a large extent. So not only do you sae on fuel, you even save the environment from that much more pollution.

Scorpio is the first car offering this technology. So Scorpio has the advantage of being the environment friendly car.
Maximum_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:23   #233
Senior - BHPian

why does the above post feel like an AD? just kidding buddy....
anyways, the Micro Hybrid Tech has yet to prove itself in the market. We dont yet have any reports on its longevity, reliabilty, convenience or the actual fuel savings. mahindra has atleast done a good thing by providing a switch to turn this feature On/Off. i still feel they should offer this feature as optional across all variants & not standard in the VLX & M2Di.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:23   #234
BHPian

Quote:
the Micro Hybrid Tech has yet to prove itself in the market. We dont yet have any reports on its longevity, reliabilty, convenience or the actual fuel savings. mahindra has atleast done a good thing by providing a switch to turn this feature On/Off. i still feel they should offer this feature as optional across all variants & not standard in the VLX & M2Di.
Why would anyone want to switch off the Micro Hybrid Tech function when it'll help in saving fuel (however little)?
serpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:00   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpente View Post
Why would anyone want to switch off the Micro Hybrid Tech function when it'll help in saving fuel (however little)?
because that feature turns the engine off when the car is standstill for more than 5 seconds in a signal or traffic jam. engine off means the AC is also off. which means the cabin will turn into a hot furnace on any summer day.

moreover, i have studied about this tech in detail. the start stop system needs a very powerful battery & a stronger starter motor & alternator. i am not sure about the reliability/life of these components after say, 2 years.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:50   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
moreover, i have studied about this tech in detail. the start stop system needs a very powerful battery & a stronger starter motor & alternator. i am not sure about the reliability/life of these components after say, 2 years.
Its a bosch system rated for 100,000 starts.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What does that cover? The self starter, the alternator and the battery?
To say nothing about the long term effects, if any, on the engine bearings ....
as also quite possibly the engine mounts. There is usually a violent judder at startup and shutdown in most diesel engines.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:27   #238
Team-BHP Support

The stater motor. As for alternator and the battery, thought the later may be subject to more load, I don't see any problem for alternator as such.
And since its by bosch, I am pretty sure they would have taken care of everything, however for the non bosch parts, its anybodys guess!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So Lets estimate what it means for a city driven vehicle in a crowded Indian city like Bangalore.

In Bangalore traffic these days if suppose a person commutes from one end of city to another there are some 20 - 30 signals and may be 2 stop - stat at each signal so that can be 100 Starts a day ( 50 Each way ) that would mean 1000 days or 2. 7 years. If we want to discount for Sundays and holidays
( assuming 52 Sundays in an year and adding same number of holidays)
It can be 3.5 years max meaning high probability of going kaput just when warranty period ends

This is an optimistic estimate for a commuter crossing twice a day. Just think of an extensive city driven vehicle like a traders car or an office pickup which most Scorpios are and that would mean it last one year max , Which is actually better because that would be covered under warranty.

Now actually there is no problem for highway travelers but then Micro-Hybrid is meaningful in stop and go city traffic.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd May 2009 at 14:22.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:04   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In Bangalore traffic these days if suppose a person commutes from one end of city to another there are some 20 - 30 signals and may be 2 stop - stat at each signal so that can be 100 Starts a day ( 50 Each way ) that would mean 1000 days or 2. 7 years. If we want to discount for Sundays and holidays
( assuming 52 Sundays in an year and adding same number of holidays)
It can be 3.5 years max meaning high probability of going kaput just when warranty period ends

This is an optimistic estimate for a commuter crossing twice a day. Just think of an extensive city driven vehicle like a traders car or an office pickup which most Scorpios are and that would mean it last one year max , Which is actually better because that would be covered under warranty.
yes, this can be true. however i would not want to raise fingers on them until we have a concrete reason. we have 1-2 scorpio VLXs on this forum. in a year or two, the number may increse. we will get to know from their ownership experience. however, if this system was present in my car, i would rather switch it OFF. its useless if it switches off the AC along with the engine.

scorpios being trader's car or office pick up! well, atleast i have not seen any office pick up cabs to be scorpios! infact i have seen very few scorpios with yellow number plates. and you are saying "MOST" scorpios are! cab owners need space FE & space as their priority, scorpio fulfills none of the requirements!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd May 2009 at 16:06.