Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


View Poll Results: Choices
iKon 16 10.74%
Swift 52 34.90%
Indigo CS 9 6.04%
Palio 27 18.12%
Getz 32 21.48%
Indica Vista 32 21.48%
Others 5 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 13:41   #61
BHPian
 
vigneshram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 347
Thanked: 15 Times
Default My take on your choices

Hey proxima,
I am also from Chennai.I have a FIAT SIENA.I have travelled in the Ikon rear seat two days back.I was a 300 km highway drive.You know what the rear seat totally lacks under thigh support.My siena is 1000 times better in the rear seat and ride in poor roads were horrible.Siena can take bad roads easily.Swift rattles like hell in chennai roads(bad as of now) in say two years time.I saw this mentioned by a Swift owner here in t bhp and he is elling the car and getting only a FIAT,he says FIAT has good build quality.Getz has suspension issues as said by undead.So i think the VFM car in your budget is Palio 1.3 SDX with a tyre upgrade and ICE.Your all set to rock the roads in style.This is my advice.If you want to buy the Palio,i can guide you to all dealers in chennai,as i know them coz of my active role in PUG(PALIO USERS GROUP).

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX/100000 kms?K&N STOCK
vigneshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 22:50   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,275
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

With an extremely linear power delivery, I somehow knew that the Ikon TDCi would impress your family members more than the Getz CRDi. So it seems you have made a wise choice.

In case you buy the Ikon, please get the remote boot lid opener installed at extra cost. It must be embarassing to get out to open the boot at security points in a 6-lakh-rupee car!

The Palio MJD SDX does make a strong case for itself as Vignesh suggest but buy it ONLY if resale is not an issue and you have a good service centre to support through the ownership span.

But I can imagine the enthusiast in you still thinking about the Getz CRDi.

Last edited by architect : 8th February 2009 at 22:51.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 10:13   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 62
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Instead of buying the Remote boot lid opener for Rs 6500/-, install it urself... Here is the Link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-set-up-4.html

Easy & Cheap!!!
nityanand.s.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 16:26   #64
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Ikon rub rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityanand.s.s View Post
Instead of buying the Remote boot lid opener for Rs 6500/-, install it urself... Here is the Link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-set-up-4.html

Easy & Cheap!!!
Thanks. It is really a great idea. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
Hey proxima,
I am also from Chennai.I have a FIAT SIENA.I have travelled in the Ikon rear seat two days back.I was a 300 km highway drive.You know what the rear seat totally lacks under thigh support.My siena is 1000 times better in the rear seat and ride in poor roads were horrible.Siena can take bad roads easily.Swift rattles like hell in chennai roads(bad as of now) in say two years time.I saw this mentioned by a Swift owner here in t bhp and he is elling the car and getting only a FIAT,he says FIAT has good build quality.Getz has suspension issues as said by undead.So i think the VFM car in your budget is Palio 1.3 SDX with a tyre upgrade and ICE.Your all set to rock the roads in style.This is my advice.If you want to buy the Palio,i can guide you to all dealers in chennai,as i know them coz of my active role in PUG(PALIO USERS GROUP).

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX/100000 kms?K&N STOCK
Ikon looks better per my mom and sis. For almost the same price, one gets a sedan. That titled the balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
With an extremely linear power delivery, I somehow knew that the Ikon TDCi would impress your family members more than the Getz CRDi. So it seems you have made a wise choice.

In case you buy the Ikon, please get the remote boot lid opener installed at extra cost. It must be embarassing to get out to open the boot at security points in a 6-lakh-rupee car!

The Palio MJD SDX does make a strong case for itself as Vignesh suggest but buy it ONLY if resale is not an issue and you have a good service centre to support through the ownership span.

But I can imagine the enthusiast in you still thinking about the Getz CRDi.
You bet! But I guess the Getz is not practical for a family car, would have been different if it was only for me.


The Ikon does not come with plastic rub rails (grey coloured ones) like the older models. I think it looks good, esp in silver with the rub rails.

Any idea if it can be fitted? From the showroom itself? How much do they cost?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 20:12   #65
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Vista is the best.

Hi Proximo, My vote is for Vista. Infact, I cancelled my booking of Swift VDI (Which was ready for delivery) after a test drive on Vista. Now I have booked Vista Aura and awaiting its delivery.

I have test drived all the cars that you have listed as I was not sure if I needed a hatch or a sedan.

Since everyone have listed all the pros and cons, I will just list the aspects that appealed to me the most in VISTA.

1)Value for money : 5.54 lacs OTR at Bangalore. No other car in the segement has, as many features as in this car for this price.
2)Gear box : For bumber to bumber driving in bangalore, the first 3 gears are placed really well. The transmission is smoother than swift.
3)"More car per-car" : This caption suits this better. I am 5.11 and 90Kgs. While test driving, I had 3 more guys and the sales guy, almost of the same weight. Everyone was comfortable in both the rows.
4)Engine Noise insulation: Not only from inside even while from outside the noise is as low as a pertrol car.

After reading the extensive repository in Team-BHP and other journals regarding sedans and hatchs, I have zeroed on Vista. Hope you take wise decision.

All the best..
Nanda
Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 22:48   #66
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks Jungle Boy. I too liked the Vista but was a bit scared about the quality.

Guys. I have booked an Ikon TCDi (most probably white) and the loan is getting processed through SBI. The sanction will happen after 5 working days. Therefore, delivery will be earliest on Saturday.

When I asked how much to pay to foreclose the existing car loan with ICICI, they said 5%!!!! Damn, I am never going to ICICI again for a loan.

Now, I have almost decided to go in for replacing the stock tyres with Michelin XM1 without any upsizing. Can I fit slightly wider tyres on the stock rims? Or do I have to keep the same tyre width as the original? Please advice so that I can tell the tyre dealer to keep the tyres ready for me.

EDIT: Heard that the side rub rails cost 1k, will get that fixed at the dealer's.

Last edited by Proxima : 14th February 2009 at 22:50.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 00:14   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
the column for the Ikon TDCi... Dark horse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I have booked an Ikon TCDi
The DARK HORSE wins. Congratulations, Proxima, on your decision and your purchase. May you enjoy your drive for 0.1 million km and more with no more expenses than the cost of a pack of groundnuts!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 10:37   #68
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Call it jinx or whatever, I tried replying to the following query of yours twice, but inexplicably the post did not make it to the thread. This is the 3rd attempt. Hopefully it works this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
Is a tyre upgrade really required? I do not want to deviate from the stock size.
While it sure would be good to replace the steel rims with alloys of your choice, I would suggest you stick to the stock tyres. For your kind of requirement which would be mostly sedate driving (by ladies), the stock tyres should be ok. Tyre upgrade needs to be done only when one's stock tyres do not measure up to one's usage/driving.

Since it is a Diesel, the miles will pile up pretty soon and based on your driving experience with the stock tyres, you could evaluate whether to stick to them or to upgrade at the next change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
I would like to retain the stepney as-is and rotate the 4 new tyres around.
I am guessing that you want to keep the stepney stock ie. both rim and tyre. No issues with that. 4-tyre rotation is very much possible. However, the only issue is that the stepney remains mostly unused (except for when it is used during a puncture). And tyres remaining unused is also not a good thing.

While buying alloys, I decided to retain the steel rim of the stepney, which means the stepney has seen almost nil use. I have had only 1 puncture in the last 4 years and the stepney was used for a few kms till I fixed the puncture. So, while it looks new, I am not sure whether it is good for a tyre to just sit in the trunk.

In hindsight, I would have gone for an alloy change of all 5 wheels, so that I could have done 5-wheel rotation, ensuring that all 5 wheels get used uniformly.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 12:33   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
In hindsight, I would have gone for an alloy change of all 5 wheels, so that I could have done 5-wheel rotation, ensuring that all 5 wheels get used uniformly.
I had the foresight, but still made the mistake of not changing all 5 tyres (a matter of another 2.6k). I have 5 alloys, the one in the trunk looks brand new (never used).
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 16:52   #70
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Since it is a Diesel, the miles will pile up pretty soon and based on your driving experience with the stock tyres, you could evaluate whether to stick to them or to upgrade at the next change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I had the foresight, but still made the mistake of not changing all 5 tyres (a matter of another 2.6k). I have 5 alloys, the one in the trunk looks brand new (never used).
Thanks guys. How about retaining the steel rims and changing 4 tyres to Michelin XM1s with the stock size? Does that make sense?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 17:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

I have no idea about tyres, be it XM1 or something else. So, this is a question for the tyre-experts. Since you are doing an upgrade keeping the tyre-size stock, what are the benefits of XM1s as compared to your stock tyres that make you want to do the change ?

But if at all you change to some other tyre, I would suggest you change all 5 tyres, which would help all 5 tyres being used regularly and also letting you do a 5-tyre rotation. Plus, if you are doing the tyre rotation by yourselves at home (like I do), you would anyway need to get out the stepney to do even a 4-wheel rotation. Might then as well do a 5-wheel rotation.

Plus after paying for an Ikon-D and 4 new tyres, how is the few hundreds required for the 5th tyre going to matter ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 18:59   #72
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Agreed SB. If I change, I'll change all 5.

I'll check with the tyre gurus if the tyres need to be changed.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 19:19   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

What's stock? The MRF's or the S322's? In either case, changing tyres would be beneficial. And stick to stock size, getting good tyres in 185/65 R13 is a problem.

P.S. Just checked, you could change to Accelere's in 185/65 R13.

Last edited by iraghava : 16th February 2009 at 19:22.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:44   #74
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What's stock? The MRF's or the S322's? In either case, changing tyres would be beneficial. And stick to stock size, getting good tyres in 185/65 R13 is a problem.

P.S. Just checked, you could change to Accelere's in 185/65 R13.
Stock tyres are Goodyear GPS2 175/70-R13. Courtesy Condor's thread.

What would you recommend for the best comfort in a reasonable price range?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 20:21   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Stick to swap with stock size Michelin/Yokohama, should serve your purpose just fine.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help Choosing A Scooter! MrBoombastic Motorbikes 13 11th January 2006 05:00
Need help with choosing a car in the US raihan Luxury, Imports & Niche 60 16th August 2005 06:14
Need help choosing used Optra 1.6 vs New Petra manishk13 Sedans 10 26th May 2005 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks