Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 15th March 2009, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Default Palio or Siena?

Hi guys....

With my buget of 1.10 + or - 10k, i went hunting for cars and i found nothing interesting other than these 2 cars.

One a 2003 Palio 1.3 EL run about 55k kms new set of tyres, car is neat and engine and the under car is untouched. Suspenion seems good for another 50k. Only issue is that engine is working to its potenial, lacks the power. I traces of black smoke from exhaust, the guy suggested that its the car needs engine oil and filter change. Other than that its very good car with good ICE. The asking price was 1.5Lac and with some bargaining i got it down to 1.15Lac.

Then other is a Siena 2003 1.6 and there is a '100' badge. What does that mean? The engine is really good, is very very responsive. The issue with this car is that the vehicle pulls to the left side, if u understand what i mean. When i leave the steering, it turn to left at some degree and the vehicle turns to the left. The guy says that it might be because of tyre not being aligned. He said he will talk to Concorde (TATA service center) and get it fixed. I suspect suspension trouble. What say? He asked for 1.35Lac and even after lot of bargaining he was willing to come to 1.3L.

I feel the palio is a better bet? Or should i ignore both of these cars and look further?
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Archish, a very tough call, even more soas you have ot mentioned the kms on the Siena. I would go for the 1.6L Siena, the 100 indicates the bhp of the engine and trust me it will return a lower avg/ltr. But will give you the thrill of driving a car thats incomparable.
Get the the Siena thoroughly checked and then go for it. More car fr the around the same cost, and a segment higher. And in case you want another car, i the range of 1lac, you would get 2003-2004 fiats, as they lose their value he fastest, compared to a zen of 2000- 2001. If you can maintain it, my vote is for the fiat siena.

Cheers
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Archish my advice is dont go for the palio or the siena.

Better look at santro /Zen/ Ikon/ at that budget.If you are OK go for a 2005/4 800

Now its your decision,i had the same proble to decide on buying a used palio D ,i had a known person in TATA as service manager who asked me not to go for it.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 20:45   #4
BHPian

dude, first of all put up your needs and the primary use of the Car. Also tell us the average KMs it will have to do per month.
otherwise every fanboy will turn up here and suggest you his fav car in that budget range.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 21:38   #5
BHPian

The Siena has done around 50k. He says in city her gets 10 and on the highway 12. When i contacted the guy at Concorde he said that its a wheel alignment problem. This car owner had given the vehicle for service and that time the alignment machine was out of order it seems. He said he'll rectify it maro.

I'm fixed with fiat cars. I m a big fiat fan and just love the design and the Italian badge.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:11   #6
BHPian

in the present used car market, a boon for the buyer, u can look for alternatives. you will get it.. only thing is time. as joshguy has mentioned, you can look for a zen(it will be maintened well mostly) or ikon !

the siena- maybe some problem in the wheel alignment. . had that issue on my zen. it was fixed after wheel alignment and some other thing(i forgot what it was).
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 22:29   #7
BHPian

This car will be our second car. Xylo is on the way and will take car of all our highway travel and for our business travel. The car i m looking for is a personal car to drive around in the city and maybe a weekend drive to pondy or bangalore thats it. say 700 kms per month.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Archish my advice is dont go for the palio or the siena.

Better look at santro /Zen/ Ikon/ at that budget.If you are OK go for a 2005/4 800

Now its your decision,i had the same proble to decide on buying a used palio D ,i had a known person in TATA as service manager who asked me not to go for it.
No Santro, i feel too femine driving it, sorry if i had hurt anyone by saying this.

Zen and Ikon we already owned these cars and i would feel nothing new.

800, chanceless, my sister has a 800 and i get tired after driving it for about half hour while i'm used to driving my qualis for about 6 hrs on the trot without break.

So, its fiat all the way guys. If anyone has a fiat in and around chennai. Pls pm me. Greedy aint I?
Old 16th March 2009, 18:57   #9
BHPian

Go it!!!

The guy came back with the Siena after getting the steering problem corrected. It was really good to drive now. And after some serious negotiation. I got the car for 1.10 lac.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:24   #10
BHPian

congrats on your choice, be sure to change the airfilter and fit only original fiat siena spark plugs, also look for any rust under the body. use only Fiat recommended coolant because siena tends to heat up fast. last but not the least try to keep rats aways from the engine area because they like taste of the rubber parts of siena.

also if you find any issue related to finding spares drop me a line since I can help you source out almost any part of that car.
FERRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 19:59   #11
BHPian

Congrats Archish. Good choice. That engine is a stonker!!! Enjoy your ride. I presume you got it thoroughly checked before you bought it. Change the air and fuel filters, maybe te engine oil as well, fill only normal petrol. Also check the condition of the tires, and change if necessary. Cheerios!!!
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 22:23   #12
BHPian

Yes... i got it checked fully... there are a 2 issues but...

1. The A/c is not very effective. There is a car A/c mech. shop opp. to my house will get that checked.

2. The other thing i find is there is vibe when i take the car to 90 kmph. The engine is really great. It effortless goes upto 90 then there is a small vibe. i just took it out for a spin now. Its 10.30 in the night and dint have the guts to push it further and see what happens. From what i have notices is that tyre pressure seems too high. The guy has over inflated it i guess. Will check check tyre pressure and aligment first thing in the morning. Could it be anything more serious?
Old 17th March 2009, 06:24   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase.
I had a 1.6 Siena from 2001-2007. The ELX vesion is fairly well loaded with aircon, power windows, ABS, airbags.
The car has a beautiful DOHC engine-accelerates like no other 1.6! The engine is also relatively maintenance-free provided you give it the scheduled filter/oil changes. Might also need throttle body cleaning.
The brakes are good but feel light and squishy (even with the ABS) and this is about its only drawback.
Please check the exhaust for rust.
The mileage of about 9-10 in city and 12 on highways is about what I got. It seems to like Speed/Xtrapremium.

gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:58   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Palio or Siena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post

also if you find any issue related to finding spares drop me a line since I can help you source out almost any part of that car.

I am in Navi Mumbai and own a 2000 petrol siena 1.2. Have a few parts needed - could you guide me where to source these parts from
ORVMs
door jamb - front left
under bonnet insulation
wheel well covers
a few other nic-nacs...

Regads
Soumo
fast lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Palio or Siena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
I am in Navi Mumbai and own a 2000 petrol siena 1.2. Have a few parts needed - could you guide me where to source these parts from
ORVMs
door jamb - front left
under bonnet insulation
wheel well covers
a few other nic-nacs...

Regads
Soumo
You could checkout Kava Automobiles - Mumbai.
Here is the link with more information:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...le-mumbai.html (Fiat Spare Parts - Kava Automobile (Mumbai))
There are many satisfied customers in this forum as well as in PUG.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote