Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 9th April 2009, 12:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
how about Force Motors Judo 4x4, i have seen many of them being used in Manali to take tourists to solang and rohtang pass!

these vehicles are 4x4 and are pretty big enough to convert them into educational mobile units!
As I understand, Judo 4X4 has been replaced with GAMA 4X4.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 16:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
dinar, isn't the TL a glorified version of the 207? And are you sure the 207 doesn't come in 4x4? The Tata website doesn't let me open links to the 207 microsite to check it out.
The 207DI is based on the TL chassis which was launched much earlier, which in turn is based on the 407 chassis.

The difference between the two is as follows
Engine- TL 2.0L turbo, 90bhp and the 207DI has 3.0L NA, 60bhp, TL has LSD good for off road use 207di does not have, the suspension is tuned differently, it is much more comfortable than the 207DI.

Yes, the 207DI does not have 4x4 option even for army.
Why I am suggesting the TL is because you will be traveling in single vehicles and so there is added safety of have 4x4 at your disposal, if stuck in remote area.Plus the turbo engine will ensure you have sufficient power to get out of situation, At 8000 ft the will be a drop in power , but a turbo engine will have added advantage over NA.And also it can carry more thing than any other pickup in this category. I have both M&M as well as 207DI with me on the farm and comparing both the 207 DI can carry more stuff. The area in the load bay a is little bit more than the M&M.

@vishnu the turning radius of the TL and the 207 DI is same, and 'The Iceman' is not going for off road event to test their skills and adventure, The vehicle's main criteria is carrying load to rural areas. This fits his budget and requirement perfectly.

Last edited by dinar : 9th April 2009 at 16:47.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 16:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MileCruncher, we are exploring that option. Thats one of the reasons why we want all vehicles to be of the same make. But before going to either, we need to firm up our decision. Hence, the request at Team BHP. Where else to go but to the expertsfor quoting Multiple posts.
If you can get a discount from Tata and can get that in your budget then best for you IMO would be Tata Xenon 4x4. It is double cab, has lots of space at the back, also have accessories from Tata to cover the open back in two different ways as per your needs. It has latest CRDI engine, good creature comforts, ground clearance, service network, warranties etc. Everything is in your favor. You don't have to spend time or money to modify it.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 17:24   #19
BHPian

Iceman

Have you looked at the Force's Toofan or Cruiser Classic.
...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

These look pretty big vehicles, come with 4x4, BS-III rating, AC and PS.
Have fully covered metal body, rather useful in the cold up there.

Getting Force to sell 5 of them and with 4x4 within a reasonable amount of time could be a different story though.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Iceman

Have you looked at the Force's Toofan or Cruiser Classic.
...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

These look pretty big vehicles, come with 4x4, BS-III rating, AC and PS.
Have fully covered metal body, rather useful in the cold up there.

cheers
lazy
We did consider Force. The problem with it is the after sales. Parts are actually being sent from Delhi. That is something we can't live with since after a while these vehicles will be handed over to local resources for running. That problem often occurs with Mahindras too. Tata scores well on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
If you can get a discount from Tata and can get that in your budget then best for you IMO would be Tata Xenon 4x4. It is double cab, has lots of space at the back, also have accessories from Tata to cover the open back in two different ways as per your needs. It has latest CRDI engine, good creature comforts, ground clearance, service network, warranties etc. Everything is in your favor. You don't have to spend time or money to modify it.
Xenon is a bit expensive for Tatas to part with. Plus, just got word that corporate vehicle donations aren't the quickest things on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 207DI is based on the TL chassis which was launched much earlier, which in turn is based on the 407 chassis.

The difference between the two is as follows
Engine- TL 2.0L turbo, 90bhp and the 207DI has 3.0L NA, 60bhp, TL has LSD good for off road use 207di does not have, the suspension is tuned differently, it is much more comfortable than the 207DI.

Yes, the 207DI does not have 4x4 option even for army.
Why I am suggesting the TL is because you will be traveling in single vehicles and so there is added safety of have 4x4 at your disposal, if stuck in remote area.Plus the turbo engine will ensure you have sufficient power to get out of situation, At 8000 ft the will be a drop in power , but a turbo engine will have added advantage over NA.And also it can carry more thing than any other pickup in this category. I have both M&M as well as 207DI with me on the farm and comparing both the 207 DI can carry more stuff. The area in the load bay a is little bit more than the M&M.
The TL looks like a good bet. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Point taken, but have you noticed the number of TTs doing the Manali-Leh route? And all across Spiti. And what about buses? They go where most SUVs dread to tread! TT is a great VFM mini-bus!

Well, I guess you'd know best whether TTs have gone to the places you work in. You could hire one as a taxi and put it through those routes.
The TTs do run in a lot of places but if you notice they all head out from the plains. Problem is one of service and parts as mentioned above.
The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 19:52   #21

Whats the opinion on the Tata Winger?

I like the vehicles shape but have doubts on ground clearance (165 mm compared to a Sumo's 190) and torque (115Nm@2000-3000 compared to Sumo's 223Nm@1600-2200). Any comments?
Old 13th April 2009, 22:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Winger is a good vehicle if you are looking at roads, not when it comes to the kind of terrain you mentioned. Plus it is a front wheel drive vehicle, so when it comes to maintenance it'll be little difficult.The suspension is tuned for road use and not for off road use so do not know how it will take that.
There's also a version with the same turbo engine.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the opinion on the Tata Winger?
If you're willing to look at non-4WD, the TT will be a far better bet. Tried and tested extensively all across the himalayas!
Also, no other vehicle gives a body with that kind of headroom.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:06   #24

Okay, idea number 4: The govt. in the mountains uses a lot of Swaraj Mazda buses and ambulances. It's got ample ground clearance, decent amount of torque and oodles of space. I still have doubts on the thin tyres but I guess if they are running fine till now, they would do okay.

Any comments on this one?

Anyone know the price of the Swaraj Mazda bus / ambulance?
Old 14th April 2009, 16:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Again, you have to decide can do without a 4WD. than there are a lot of options, ranging from swaraj Mazda [really under powered] to tata 407 turbo [decent gorund clearance]to eicher [really powerful and effiecient engiens],etc. and all these commercial vehicles are eas to maintian.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
..., ranging from swaraj Mazda [really under powered] to tata 407 turbo [decent gorund clearance]to eicher [really powerful and effiecient engiens],etc. and all these commercial vehicles are eas to maintian.
And are they all BS III compliant?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 21:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Force Challenger

I am sure that Force Challenger will fit your budget the best.but off road can be done only with bigger tires
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 16:16   #28

Thank you everybody for your inputs. Life really is a full circle. Given that all responses for the TT were so positive, we finally did settle on that. Can't say my constant nagging the boss about the TT had nothing to do with it

Just placed an order for 2. Will buy 3 more later.

Will keep the forum posted on the progress of fabrication.