Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 1st July 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Default Help me win a battle ANHC Or Safari ?

Well, the lines are drawn, Opponents facing each other, only thing is the fighters are me and my wife. Sounds interesting ?

Here goes the story.

I have a 6 year old Indigo,running perfectly fine (touch wood) and hence thoughts have started to look for a new vehicle in our family.

As any other "normal human being", spotting a safari makes my heart skip a beat, cos, my heart too wants to enjoy the beast.

On the other side of the battle line is my wife, who is bowled over and over by the Japanese wrestler named "Honda City".

in between us, we have a referee by name "Vitamin M" who blows the foul whistle , everytime we start talking anything over and above 10 L

Hope, the scene is clear now.

The battle as of now has been centered around safety, with my wife quoting the safety standards of the Japanese wrestler (read City), where as I fight the battle mainly on the point of the tank like build of safari.

Only if I can convince my wife that wrestler gets crumpled to a tin when confronted with my Safari. Will it ?

More over, in an ultimate head on between the city and safari, whom do you think survive the crash better (for man inside and the machine) ? ( city with all safety features or safari with the steel body ?

Hence , requesting help from all BHPians over here to help me win the battle ( at any cost :-)).
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:35   #2
BHPian

On one hand the city would fare better with the G Con, the cabin is well protected while on the other it is a SUV colliding with a sedan so you could say safari would be safer.

Look at the sx4 in your decision, its got all the safety gear of a city(with more features) and the big muscular look with a high stance, but not as big as your safari obviously.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
More over, in an ultimate head on between the city and safari, whom do you think survive the crash better (for man inside and the machine) ? ( city with all safety features or safari with the steel body ?
Safari can easily cover the Honda beneth

Jokes apart, Safari - cheaper parts than Honda, if at all it needed any due to crash!
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

He he interesting battle. Like Mortal Kombat 4 I'd say "Round one, FIGHT"
How about going for a TD in both.
Then a romantic dinner after an equally romantic movie.
Seriously man, I want you to win.
And remember, "Its not about how you play the game, just win" (or was that something else?)
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

Buy a good used Safari and this will offset Vitamin M
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
He he interesting battle. Like Mortal Kombat 4 I'd say "Round one, FIGHT"
How about going for a TD in both.
Then a romantic dinner after an equally romantic movie.
Seriously man, I want you to win.
Well, the TD part is done and then it had a bad side effect, I started liking the beast more and my wife started liking the City more.. How can I break this dead lock ? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Buy a good used Safari and this will offset Vitamin M
Well, we both are united atleast in this stand that the vehicle should be new and hence that is ruled out.. Owning a new will definitely has its own mental satisfaction and we both want to enjoy that.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2009 at 12:08. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making consecutive posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 1st July 2009, 12:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

compromise!

get a japanese suv - suzuki GV

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

joe, Safari is a milcruncher... on long drives it will be much better then the city, also safri will be good on bad roads, it would be very comfortable for the older passengers (people with knee problem)

City scores in relaibility and smooth engine...

Safari's might not score well when it comes to relaibility but again it is debatable..

If i were you i would go for the Safari
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:06   #9
BHPian

If safety is the main concern, Tata Safari will be my better bet of the two cars even in LX or EX version which don't have Airbags/ABS.

Reasons:
1. I concur that Safari is actually built like a Tank.
2. Only Indian Car(actually manufactured in India) to have full crash worthiness rating.
3. Honda is known to use lighter steel structure to improve performance, thereby sacrificing safety.

Hence, I would suggest Safari EX version which is within your budget (OTR price) and gives all the general stuff like MP3 player, body color bumpers and most importantly, dual row HVAC.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

What a fight!

City is a car and Safari is a SUV.

City is Honda and Safari is TATA.

City has all the safety features and you will have a very comfortable ownership experience (touch wood, since Honda seems to have got a nut loose somewhere,lately).

Safari comes with its own set of issue and is given FOC by the company. You will need to spend some time (money is taken care warranty) initially. Safety in Safari is it sheer size, apart from the side crash beam, collapsible steering, and such. Since your budget is 10L, even ABS will be missed! But then, TATA has some good test on crash conducted in the Safari, which will give it more brownie points.

Driving a City over good well paved roads is a bliss. You can fly low!

Driving a Safari over anything (I mean any type of road!!!) is a bliss. You will glide!

Cost of spares of City is not as competitive as TATA's.

Safari comes with 1.5 laks kms / 4 years (extended)warranty.

City - decision with the head.
Safari - decision with the heart (mostly) with the head giving need-to-know info.

My preference - Safari.

Why:
- The on-road respect and with that the driving pleasure. Talk about respect, you will know what it mean after you drive a small car in the highways.
- A SUV has its own advantages. Need not be scared to take over broken / no-roads.
- Need not slow down for all our speed-breakers which mushroom faster than mushrooms in a rain!
- Space provided; need not be worried about space constraint for a very long time.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 1st July 2009 at 13:23.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you plan to keep your Indigo for some more time then I suggest you got for Safari.
Though are many other parameters to decide on Safari then just Security.

1. Will you be using it for just city or mix or Mostly highways.
2. Do you need extra space?
3. Safari I guess will be more secure than ANHC, depending on the type of crash. Safari can roll over easily as compare to ANHC. So basically you need to change the way you drive.

And if you ask me to close the eyes, stop comparing and Decide. ONLY ONE ANSWER - SAFARI - nothing can beat the beast, I mean nothing.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:39   #12
BHPian

Take your wife to some rough patch and explain how you can win those pothole and broken road easily with the SUV compared to the Sedan. Also explain how you can easily climb the hill with 4WD
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why look at what will happen if in a crash situation. Look on the positive side & think which car will not get me into that situation. The ANHC is a lot more reliable than the TATA. Has all the safety features.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
compromise!
get a japanese suv - suzuki GV
cheers
would love to but seeing this message, my referee has blowed his whistle 10 times (budget constraint of 10 L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
joe, Safari is a milcruncher... on long drives it will be much better then the city, also safri will be good on bad roads, it would be very comfortable for the older passengers (people with knee problem)
City scores in relaibility and smooth engine...
Safari's might not score well when it comes to relaibility but again it is debatable..
If i were you i would go for the Safari
true, more over, now that we have a pet at home, I think I can use him as another reason for going for Safari.The pet can have his world in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
If safety is the main concern, Tata Safari will be my better bet of the two cars even in LX or EX version which don't have Airbags/ABS.

Reasons:
1. I concur that Safari is actually built like a Tank.
2. Only Indian Car(actually manufactured in India) to have full crash worthiness rating.
3. Honda is known to use lighter steel structure to improve performance, thereby sacrificing safety.

Hence, I would suggest Safari EX version which is within your budget (OTR price) and gives all the general stuff like MP3 player, body color bumpers and most importantly, dual row HVAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
If you plan to keep your Indigo for some more time then I suggest you got for Safari.
Though are many other parameters to decide on Safari then just Security.

1. Will you be using it for just city or mix or Mostly highways.
2. Do you need extra space?
3. Safari I guess will be more secure than ANHC, depending on the type of crash. Safari can roll over easily as compare to ANHC. So basically you need to change the way you drive.
well, my annual driving , might not cross the 12K mark, may be 3-4 round trips doing Bangalore - Kottayam plus the normal city drives.

Space: well that might be required , especially since we have a pet and I do feel Safari has the space for a pet better than the City.
Quote:
Why look at what will happen if in a crash situation. Look on the positive side & think which car will not get me into that situation. The ANHC is a lot more reliable than the TATA. Has all the safety features
well,I do feel it is not a car that will or will not get me in to a situation like an accident, but it is the driver. Hence, I went for some vehicle which will take me out of the situation better. My logic is, as a driver, I can control my vehicle and prevent it from getting into an accident which ever vehicle I dirve , but, then I cannot prevent another person from getting me in to an accident and here is it that I need some vehicle that helps me get out of the situation.. Message clear ?

Last edited by joecherian : 1st July 2009 at 13:56.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Joe, simple point which you can make:

City - as the name suggests, is a city car...
Safari - you can drive it anywhere, even to your native Manimala...

So all set to sell your good old Indigo? I still remember the Ooty descent in that car man... with 5 people including heavy people like me and the front wheels stated smkoing because we were rolling down with brakes on..

One thing which I'll never forget (I am sure all of us who were in that car) was the night drive to Wayanadu - Calicut border the day after Maraadu incident. All of us asleep and you driving, and being stopped by a big fire in front of us, pleople running towards us with knives and other weapons... (to be contd)

Last edited by clevermax : 1st July 2009 at 13:57.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote