Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 5th July 2009, 14:12   #1

Default City duty- Tall hatch

Folks,

Firstly, sorry for opening a new thread. There are infinite threads on this topic but after reading through all of them I still wanted to post this query. If mods feel it is irrelevant, please remove it.

Here is what I went searching for:

- A easy to drive, manual transmission, city car. Will be used to transport 1 or 2 people. Will be mostly driven by my sister (she prefers MT over AT)
- Not very constrained by budget, but do not want to spend more than necessary. So the cheapest to buy/own will do.
- Have another car for highway duty and family travel

Even though most of the small cars fit this bill, I was looking for tall boy design with easy ingress/egress. This cut the list short to zen estilo/wagonr, i10, ritz. I tried my friend's spark, but was not enthused by it, so it is out.

Here's my take on the TD of these cars:

- WagonR: Interiors outdated / plasticy. It has a tad better space than the estilo, but not very comfortable. The handrests are not easy to use, either thay are incorrectly contoured or not well engineered.

- Estilo: Same Wagon R wine in a not-so-old bottle. The doors close better, marginally better interiors. For the same price Lxi version you get 2 power windows, tubeless tyres and pivot controlled ORVMs. Of course the car is a tad shorter (both length and height) and you can feel it. Somehow i think the seats also felt cramped compared to WagonR, but that could be a biased opinion, considering both have the same width.

- The drive of both the cars were almost the same.. i.e nothing to write home about. They moved.

- i10 1.1 - I have had a santro for a few years, so the ride was almost the same. The interiors a class apart (good). The seats were not well padded according to me and the ride quality was just about ok. Space was good both at the front and rear, but the gear housing restricted my leg movement in the front seats. It bugs me a lot !

- i10 1.2 Magna - Slightly sluggish than the 1.1 but it has a mature feel to it. Not sure if I could explore its capabilities fully in the crowded city streets I got to try, but it was more refined and confidence insporing than the 1.1. Everything else is the same

- Ritz 1.2 Lxi - Two TDs from 2 diff showrooms. The ride quality was the best among the lot mentioned here. Engine more rev happy than the i10. More spacious and confortable seats but not pleasing to look interiors (compared to i10). The gear console haunts again reducing leg movement for the front seats. The view from rear seats not very good (the rear windows are smaller + the front seats are very large and obstruct the view from rear) make it a bit claustrophobic. The equipment level is lower than i10 Magna. The exterior looks are very personal - loved the front, hated the rear. Overall i10 scores in the exterior dept for me.

Prices (approx, Pune city):

- WagonR/Estilo Lxi : Ex-Sh : 335K, Disc-20K => Effective Ex-Sh: 315.
- i10 Era : Ex-Sh : 378K, Disc-7K => Effective 371K
- i10 Magna : Ex-Sh : 401K, Disc-7K => Effective 394K
- Ritz Lxi : Ex-Sh : 395K, Disc-0K => Effective 395K

Now, the Dilemma:

- I need user opinion from i10/ritz users regarding the gear console. I like to relax when I drive (I am 5' 10") but the box restricts movement. Is it very troublesome, or you guys have gotten used to it ?

- I can live with odd ball looks (estilo itself is one ), but would like good build quality that can last a few years (atleast 5) without trouble.

My personal ranking:

- The Estilo is ahead for me right now because of lower cost, decent equipment (compared to WagonR), easy of city driving and good leg room for driver.

- i10 Era - The next in price line, with a good set of features

- i10 Magna / Ritz - Have not seriously thought about spending close to 4L.. unless there is a real good reason to do so.

Would you guys agree to my argument / analysis ?

Thanks
Srini
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 05:29   #2
BHPian

Dear Surfer
Estilo is already overdue for phase out as the car is outdated as well as engine within.Till MSIL is able to develope modern small engine they will continue to sell older models alongwith new modern cars but with a price discount.I hope i10 shall fit your bill also if you are not very apprehensive about TATA try Vista Saffire a very well built car IMHO.
cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 12:41   #3

I don't think the stock tyres offered on any variant of Estilo are tubeless tyres! You might want to check this.
foosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 20:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosa View Post
I don't think the stock tyres offered on any variant of Estilo are tubeless tyres! You might want to check this.

I checked this today with a dealer. Yes, Estilo now comes with stock tubeless tyres (MRF).
foosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Dear Surfer
Estilo is already overdue for phase out as the car is outdated as well as engine within.Till MSIL is able to develope modern small engine they will continue to sell older models alongwith new modern cars but with a price discount.I hope i10 shall fit your bill also if you are not very apprehensive about TATA try Vista Saffire a very well built car IMHO.
cheers
Indica Vista is a real value car. The saffire might be bit underpowered but feature wise it is better than any car in your list.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th July 2009 at 11:38. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, use preview to check and avoid using external font editors. Thanks
PhiGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 11:57   #6
BHPian

estilo is undergoing some changes and will be out with the AStar K10B engine. I guess its also getting some face lift done. Ritz has the best of the lot engine here, it being a K12M and a BS IV. Reportedly even the swift is set to come out with the same engine to meet the BS IV standards but then there is no confirmed news on the same yet. I would suggest the i10 or the Ritz or finally the W-R(if not the previous two)
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Agree with sanagg1 & PhiGolden. If you are not averse to buying a Tata vehicle, please TD the Vista Saffire. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 16:50   #8
BHPian

Default Go for i10 ERA 1.1 iRDE

Hi surfer,

There are already a lot of similar threads on this topic. I wonder how the mods allowed this post to be created.

I advise you to go through the similar threads where the various owners have highlighted the pros and cons of all the cars you mentioned.

Since the car is going to be driven mostly by your sister, I suggest that you let her take the test drives and decide which car suits her the best. You may know more about cars than your sister, but her needs and preferences may be different from yours. It is always best for the intended driver to take the test drives himself/herself (provided he/she can drive).

My vote goes to i10 ERA 1.1 iRDE. It is really value for money, and perfectly suits your requirements. It is fun to drive around in the city, and is also OK for the occasional highway trip.

I couldn't understand why the i10's gear housing restricted your leg movement. I am 5'8" and face no problem. May be, you just need to push the seat further back.

i10 kappa (magna/sportz/asta) are also good options if budget is not an issue. But keeping in mind your typical city usage, kappa would be an overkill. However, please note that the higher end variants (with all the bells and whistles) are available only in kappa engine.

WagonR and Estilo are dated models. They are good cars, but there are better options available in the market now. Plus I just hate the vague and wobbly gearbox in these cars.

Ritz is another option if you are OK with its odd shape. But I would not recommended Ritz for ladies, especially if she is a first time driver. The rear visibility is not that good. My personal opinion is that Ritz is a bit overpriced compared to the competition.

Any particulay reason why the Santro has not been considered ?

Do let us know what you decided.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
would like good build quality that can last a few years (atleast 5) without trouble.
I rate Hyundai cars better in build quality then Maruti. Also, product for product, a Hyundai small car is better then a Maruti so if I was in your place, I would buy the i10 1.1L.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:50   #10

Hi Surfer,

I dont know if price is the most important criterion for you in this decision. If it is, then you must look right from Santro (which is a pretty good choice for the price you pay) to all the available models.

But if price is not the only factor, then you mustnt really consider the dated models, there are other better and newer options available.

Here are some of my thoughts (disclaimer: i own a Ritz VXI) :

If your sister is going to do most of the driving, i think the i10 makes a very strong case as its peppiness, good all round visibility and neat shape makes it easy to drive around, park etc. But please note, all bells and whistles for i10 are availble only in the top end, so please read the brochure carefully to fully understand the deal you are getting into. Good interiors which gives a plush feeling (if u like beige interiors), and the i10 is offering discounts when compared to Ritz which makes it a competitive offer.

If ur sister is a pretty good and experienced driver , you can definitely consider the Ritz. The ritz has a big A pillar which sort of blocks the driver view on the right side corner which could be quite tricky while taking turns. It also has a pretty thick C pillar so reversing etc is also a bit tricky. However for experienced drivers these are not at all deal breakers, one get used to it pretty quickly. On the positive side for Ritz, the engine is super smooth, the car is very easy to drive (good low speed response, decent clutch etc) and very well balanced even at high speeds. The Ritz also is a newer BSIV engine which is quite good. The interors are very good and the front seat driving position is very comfortable with good front visibility.

Bothe these cars have a waterfall console design and the gear knob is placed at similar positions. Having driven the Ritz for some time now, i dont think this design hampers the driving position at all. In fact i think its pretty easy to reach the gear knob and frees up some space for storage in the middle. I dont think you should be worried, adjust your seat if u are taking another TD.

I think the most important thing is to make your sister drive both these cars and see how she feels. You must pick the one which she felt most comfortable driving.

Good luck and let us know your decision.
itsrenjith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 17:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Since its only required for 1/2 people, do take a look at the A-Star too. Inexpensive with good FE and looks don't matter to you
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote