Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 22nd July 2009, 22:35   #1
BHPian

Default Used Scorpio - Help needed

Hi folks,

Really need your comments on this one. In brief -
1. Wanted to upgrade from my hatchback (own an indica and santro)
2. Checked out the new scorpio Mhawk, LX retails at 8.23 Mumbai
3. Spoke to my ex boss (Have worked with him for 3+ years, Sr. VP with a telecom major) as he had a scorpio.
4. He owned one in 2003, changed to a Scorpio 2.6 CRDE DX in Sep 2005 and that is the 60th Anniversary edition with 60 month warranty
5. He said 'Why do you want to buy a new one, be comfortable with a used SUV for a couple of years, if you like it, buy new later'
6. He indicated he wanted to sell his car, although he said that would be entirely my choice
7. Checked the car, looks amazing, drives amazing.
8. Facts: Run 52000 Kms, driven by himself and his wife
9. Showed the car to my garage, guy said it's fine, go ahead
10. Spoke to NBS and Sai Service from where he has serviced his car, the following service is history is what I could gather.
11. Closed the deal at 4.25 L, paid him 3 now and since he does not want to foreclose his loan (avoid penalty), I have given him PDCs of the remaining amount. Loan would close in Aug 2010. He also would renew insurance in September and said it will help me as he has a 40% NCB on it.
I trust him and vice a versa, so we have made an email agreement laying out the terms as mentioned above.
12. Am loving the car, got it detailed and the experience has been nice so far

Would like your views on the service details and our commercial arrangement as attached. The car is still under warranty for Engine, differential and gearbox.

Any help from the gurus is highly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Scorpio.xls (20.0 KB, 350 views)
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks good, but.....

- Belts (timing, steering) appear to have been changed quite early
- Don't see any suspension work, change of rubbers in suspension
- Wheel degreasing was delayed
- Clutch overhauls - 2? Boss's/Wife's driving style to blame?
- Brake pad & cylinder changes - seems to be a bad driver, could have been longer life
- same old tyres? overdue for change
- Battery due for change
- Alternators - bush never cleaned?
- INjector cleaning?
- Springs never overhauled?
- Tie rod ends overdue for change

Needless to say, these are based on my experience in running my own Scorpio (Jan 2005, non-crde) - it has run 200,000 kms so far. Repairs are based on running conditions, wear and tear, but bear in mind that rubber components have to be changed periodically (suspension, belts, tyres, etc), electricals serviced regularly (alternators, starters) and some aspects of your car are worrying - too much of brake wear out, problems with clutch plate, etc.

But overall, looks like a nice car. But time you changed your tyres!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:16   #3
BHPian

Dear Kumar saab,

Thanks for the reply. The clutch was changed by Mahindra to the new style clutch after Ms. Boss complained to 'hard clutch' consistently with letters written to Mahindra bosses. You are ABSOLUTELY correct about the tyres and the battery. Will change the front tyres shortly (do I also need to change the back...confused). All belts have been changed including Idler belt, steering belt. Car feels good to drive. Suspension seems OK, just in case, how much would a scorpio suspension overhaul cost?

Was the price I paid fine?
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ideally, you must change all 4 tyres in one go, keeping one of the better old tyres as a spare tyre. Look beyond the standard tyres (Bridgestone tubed HTs?) - look to tubeless, maybe ATs, Bridgestone/Yokos/Michelins, which transform the Scorpio's handling tremendously.

Suspension overhaul could set you back by 4-5K, since all the rubbers have to be changed, and maybe even the link rods. If you have leaf springs, the overhaul of that will cost you 500-1000 extra.

Your price looks OK.
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
5. He said 'Why do you want to buy a new one, be comfortable with a used SUV for a couple of years, if you like it, buy new later'
Every thing looks good, but, I'm not quite getting this point.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:28   #6
BHPian

Thanks sir. I have kept a budget of around 25 K in mind for stuff I will need to do to the car later. My garage says wait till monsoons are over and get stuff done. I plan to do the following:

1. Suspension overhaul
2. Minor dent / paint touch up
3. AC servicing (the ac fan makes a slight noise that is audible from the leftmost vent passenger side) - Although cooling is fine
4. I am changing the battery to a new one from my Indica DLS. It's an Amaron 12 V 75 AH as against the OEM Amaron 12 V 65 Ah, hope that's fine
5. Changing all tyres, would like to go for mid price ones which can improve handling since I do not do much highway driving or off-roading (driving on Mumbai roads in monsoon is enough 'off roading' for me)

I am worried about the health of the ECU and the Fuel Pump as these are the most expensive engine parts. Will the engine warranty cover these if problems arise in future (the car is performing fine, just being a worried wart)

Anything else I need to check?
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:31   #7
BHPian

Hi Prince,

What he actually meant was since I have only been using hatchbacks and don't travel too much on highways, I get comfortable with driving an SUV for a while and for that, he thought it makes sense to buy used. If I would have bought a new scorp and then not liked it, I would be losing money. This car is still in his name and when I decide to sell it, it will be treated as second sale and not third, retaining value somewhat
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Every thing looks good, but, I'm not quite getting this point.
he was just trying to sell his old car. and he found a customer in-house.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. I am changing the battery to a new one from my Indica DLS. It's an Amaron 12 V 75 AH as against the OEM Amaron 12 V 65 Ah, hope that's fine
5. Changing all tyres, would like to go for mid price ones which can improve handling since I do not do much highway driving or off-roading (driving on Mumbai roads in monsoon is enough 'off roading' for me)

I am worried about the health of the ECU and the Fuel Pump as these are the most expensive engine parts. Will the engine warranty cover these if problems arise in future (the car is performing fine, just being a worried wart)

Anything else I need to check?
Are you sure you can use the higher AH battery? I have no idea about that one.

Fuel Pump - rarely fails.

Get your alternator checked, that needs periodical maintenance, mostly ignored.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prince,

What he actually meant was since I have only been using hatchbacks and don't travel too much on highways, I get comfortable with driving an SUV for a while and for that, he thought it makes sense to buy used. If I would have bought a new scorp and then not liked it, I would be losing money. This car is still in his name and when I decide to sell it, it will be treated as second sale and not third, retaining value somewhat
Ohh ok now I get it. Decent deal, lucky you!
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy shekhar. As the car is under warranty for another 1 year I don't think you need to be worried.

Only problem with driving a different owner's vehicle is when you get caught/stopped by cops, there might be some explaination to do.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:57   #12
BHPian

Hi Mile,

Thanks! Yeah, the cop thing is there, especially with a black scorpio and tinted glasses.

The thing is, I checked the value at carwale.com and the price shows as 4.6 for a car in 'good' condition
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
This car is still in his name and when I decide to sell it, it will be treated as second sale and not third, retaining value somewhat
That amounts to cheating as per law.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:43   #14
BHPian

How come? The car is in his name, I am just using it. I mean that's what companies do when they give their cars to different executives. What is illegal about this?
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How come? The car is in his name, I am just using it. I mean that's what companies do when they give their cars to different executives. What is illegal about this?
What @Spitfire means is, if, God forbid, you meet with an acc...
then your boss will be caught, since his name appears on the RC book.

Second, The prospective buyer would be decieved, meaning he would think he is buying a car owned by a single owner, which is not the case.