Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 7th August 2009, 23:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
FE when driven with a light foot (I believe that the OHC comes out to the top of the list here).
not quite - The Baleno scores way above the OHC 1.5 in terms of F.E.
i see some insane figures achieved by some bhpians which an OHC 1.5 can't possibly achieve.

If u can stand its looks, inside and outside, go for the Baleno
else OHC
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 00:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
11kmpl in City and 16kmpl on highway.You get 9-9.5kmpl city and 14-15kmpl highway with 100% AC. Where is the problem here? The mileage you talk about is the norm for 1.6L engined cars.
That's the norm for 1.8 cars. That's the sort of mileage I'd expect from a Civic or an RS. Balenos and OHCs are considerably more frugal.

Quote:
But a Baleno/OHC for around 3L (maybe a Vtec for 3.5L) and then enjoy the relatively hassle free ownership experience and low cost maintenance.
You will not get a Vtec for 3.5. They are insanely priced in the used market in BLR.

I would suggest sticking with the Baleno. There is a wealth of information on it on this forum, which would make it the easiest to maintain/modify/source spares for. It is also the easiest to drive in traffic, because of the power band. And it wins on the mileage front too.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 00:07   #18
BHPian

Guys, I understand that the OHC and the Baleno are Team-bhp favorites.

But what about the Ikon and the Palio? Guaranteed to be cheaper to buy - maybe more expensive to run.

And I don't really plan to go in for any mods. A FFE and ICE is all that I want on my would be car.
CrackedHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 16:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
11kmpl in City and 16kmpl on highway.You get 9-9.5kmpl city and 14-15kmpl highway with 100% AC. Where is the problem here? The mileage you talk about is the norm for 1.6L engined cars.
There is no problem for me; that's why I've bought and kept it. I wanted to make CrackedHead aware of what FE he can expect from a Palio 1.6, and caution him if it were a prime criteria for him. I wouldn't recommend the Palio 1.6 to anyone who is concerned about FE, just because I own one. Would you?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th August 2009 at 16:07.
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 13:34   #20
BHPian

CrackedHead, any progress?

In your place I would go for the cheaper initial outlay and worry about later costs if/when they do arise.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:13   #21
BHPian

Car buying plans are currently on hold - spent about a month in time and 20K looking at Palio 1.6's and then decided to go for a new car instead of an pre-owned one.

The trusty M800 has reported back for duty with its rebuilt engine and is doing its share by helping me stockpile vitamin M for now.
CrackedHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:19   #22
BHPian

A Ohc will give you a FE of arnd 14-15 in city with A/C on (you have to drive normally.. no ripping.)

I drove a stage 2 modded 1.5 with a short ratio box from Blr to Hyderabad with a/c on 100%. I got a figure of 17kmpl. I am not sure if a similarly modded Baleno would provide you with that figs..

I say so, cuz I remember Mclaren telling me that he used to get around 4-5kmpl after his mods.

When you talk about the OHC Vtec! Fuel economy is taken to a different level, stay below 4000rpm and drive normally, you can get a min of around 19-20kmpl on the highway and nothing below 15 in the city. (Atleast mine does).

On my trip to Hyderabad (for the deccan quartermile drag 1), my car was fully drag tuned with 2 ppl in the car and with A/c I got 16kmpl.

On one of the trips a fellow bhpian got 21kmpl from his Vtec.

But, I would recommend you buy a Baleno, as the spares are easily available and the cost of the spares are way less than the Ohc (vtec atleast).

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
not quite - The Baleno scores way above the OHC 1.5 in terms of F.E.
i see some insane figures achieved by some bhpians which an OHC 1.5 can't possibly achieve.

If u can stand its looks, inside and outside, go for the Baleno
else OHC

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 10th September 2009 at 16:23.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 10:33   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
you can get a min of around 19-20kmpl on the highway and nothing below 15 in the city.
And that effectively means you aren't driving the Vtec like she's supposed to be driven . C'mon man, 15 kpl from a Vtec? You must be driving in offpeak hours on empty roads. Regular city traffic, my Vtec gives 9.5ish (10 with a really light foot), though if you hit 7,100 rpms frequently, that can drop substantially

Yes, but between the OHC Vtec and the Baleno as a used buy, and budget permitting, the Vtec will keep you happier. Good Vtecs are hard to come by.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 10:58   #24
BHPian

With the given choices & preferences,
you should go for well maintained OHC or a OHC VTEC.
HONDA cars are very reliable, low on maintainence, damn redliner's.
To find some good, maintained one's, you can check out the pre-owned cars at the Honda Dealers(Auto-Terrace).
Though they would be priced higher than the average market price, but what you'll get is peace of mind.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Dippy : 11th September 2009 at 15:52. Reason: om request
MAG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 00:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car buying plans are currently on hold - spent about a month in time and 20K looking at Palio 1.6's and then decided to go for a new car instead of an pre-owned one.

The trusty M800 has reported back for duty with its rebuilt engine and is doing its share by helping me stockpile vitamin M for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And that effectively means you aren't driving the Vtec like she's supposed to be driven . C'mon man, 15 kpl from a Vtec? You must be driving in offpeak hours on empty roads. Regular city traffic, my Vtec gives 9.5ish (10 with a really light foot), though if you hit 7,100 rpms frequently, that can drop substantially

Yes, but between the OHC Vtec and the Baleno as a used buy, and budget permitting, the Vtec will keep you happier. Good Vtecs are hard to come by.
I would amend the last sentence to - good 1.6 Palios and OHC VTECs are next to impossible to come by. As CrackedHead has mentioned he spent a little time (and a lot of money) on his quest. As I mentioned in my GTX thread, I looked for one for almost a year before finding the right car.

As mentioned by the others - the FE figures for the Palio and VTEC are not great so if FE is of major concern it is time to drop them from the list.

To my mind the Ford Ikon 1.6 might be the best bet followed by the Baleno. I put the Ikon first only because it is a much stiffer car (both chassis and suspension) with superlative handling and its toughness (ability to take abuse).

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 09:24   #26
BHPian

Hi,

its easy to extract 15kmpl from a vtec, which occasionally includes red lining too! I am in Bangalore and I am sure that the traffic conditions here are the worst in the country. But I am still managing to extract 14-15 regulalry. I am not sure why your vtec is giving 9.5-10.

As a matter of fact during some of our extremely high spirited saturday and sunday nights which consits of pedal to the metal driving, my vtec gives nothing less than 10. To add to it, I have a RD ECU which is tuned for performance and my redline is 7500. Still I do not get anything below 10.

For the highway part, cruising at 140kmph in 5th gear around the 4000rpm mark with a/c returned a figure of 19+kmpl. Shantanu's vtec has also returned similar figures on the highway.

But on the other hand if you're driving the way Shantanu does drive these days, redlining in every gear.. revv match downshifting then it might be possible for you to get that kind of a mileage.

In the end, what you say is sort of right, the vtec is not supposed to be driven like the way I drive (feathering the throttle) but since I have to app 60-80kms a day I prefer keeping it that way till the weekend, when all hell brakes loose.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 12th September 2009 at 09:26.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 16:49   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I would amend the last sentence to - good 1.6 Palios and OHC VTECs are next to impossible to come by
Absolutely. Though its important to understand the difference between the two. Good Vtecs are hard to come by as it has been 6 years since production stopped, unlike the Palio 1.6 which is still sold as new. The Vtec sold reasonably well at the time, yet its difficult to find someone who would have maintained a 7 - 9 year old car (2000 - 2003 Vtecs) well. Good Palio 1.6s are a tough find as they never sold in the first place, especially over the most recent 5 years.

Quote:
the FE figures for the Palio and VTEC
If all cars are driven with a light foot, and under the same conditions, the Vtecs FE will be better than that of the Palio 1.6 and the Ikon. The Vtec is actually a very FE car. But Mumbais traffic conditions & my redlining style restrict the FE of my car (not to mention the 205 tyres).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I am not sure why your vtec is giving 9.5-10.
Cos it's always running in Vtec mode .
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:38   #28

your second choice for Baleno/OHC is good.

Infact you should be able to find a good condition Baleno in the market.

Also Baleno/OHC comes with lot of options for modifications.

Thanks,
Vivek
vivekhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 23:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Of Palios and Stiles

What is being sold now and for the past few years is referred to as the 'Stile', I presumed that by 'Palio' one meant the older variant.

Another good reason few good VTECs and 1.6s are available is that most people who have well maintained ones are unwilling to let go of them. Though the two cars are very different from each other, to start with one is a hatch and the other is a saloon, I still lump them together for the purposes of this thread due to some similarities like - both are drivers cars, owners are fiercely possesive about them, they invoke a certain passion in everyone who has ever driven one etc.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:40   #30
BHPian

Thumbs up

Sorry to Hijack this thread,

which used car (100 Bhp) in Coimbatore.

I am look out for a pocket rocket bellow 2L (Including basic service, may be 25 to 30K), earlier I was in a mood to buy new Indica Dle/A star/ Alto but after a recent long drive from chennai to coimbatore via Pondicherry! in a Santro I really feel the lack of power in these cars, not to blame as we also have a ANHC in the stable.

The santro was pretty new only 4K in the ODO but still it struggles to get past 100, even in 4 lanes!

Finally after drolling over Ravveendrra's and One other guy's (sorry forgot the name, searched for the thread but not able to find, think he got the car from Sawyer) threads, I am in look out for a Palio 1.6 or Ikon 1.6, between these which is a better car in terms of driveablity, comfort and maintanance.

Suggestions welcome from petrolheads!!

Thanks and regards,

Makesh.R

Last edited by Makesh : 23rd September 2009 at 13:41. Reason: Mistake
Makesh is offline   Reply With Quote