Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 20th April 2011, 13:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Planning My Second Car. EDIT : Final contender, the SX4!

1. Do you really need 2 vehicles?
2. SX4 Diesel will give you all that you need in terms of daily driving, diesel economy, ground clearance, sufficient space for passengers and luggage and a nice modern vehicle with the added bonus of being inexpensive to run and maintain on account of the proven trouble free Maruti reliability and after sales service.

If I were you I would go for the fully loaded ZXi if I were buying petrol or the top end ZDi if I were buying Diesel. In this sense absolutely no need for 2 separate vehicles. And the SX4 is a sensible upgrade from the Swift.

I agree with your lament that the SX4 Hatch with 4x4 is not sold here in India. But who knows, if Dacia/Renault Duster lands up next year and does well, then Suzuki may see the sense in bringing the SX4 hatch in here too. Though if you ask me they should have gauged the potential and stolen a march on Renault because the SX4 hatch 4x4 has been around in the world for longer than the Duster has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Hey Guys,

Now after this I drove to the nearest Maruti showroom to try the SX4
  • Initial experience as soon as I got in was clastrophobic, generally the theme for today's designs are "big on inside, small on outside" however I think SX4 was designed keeping in mind the other way round. Swift feels very spacious, even my wife's first impression was that its not at all spacious. Now the good part about the car, very very impressive engine considering that its just over 100 bhp (102 to be precise), it responds like the multijet diesel that does duty on my current car. Very agile handling, superb braking, very nice driving position, amazing ground clearance (190mm !) I think its the max one can get in a sedan in India (though SX4 is sold as a compact SUV with 4X4 in europe...our country's bad luck that its not sold in that avatar).

Just for knowledge's sake I asked the true value guy there to evaluate my car, which he did and confirmed 3,50,000\- after some negotiations the amount was stretched to 3,80,000\- and I think I would get more in case I sell her in the open market.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th May 2011 at 09:43. Reason: fixed the quote tags in the post.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 16:18   #47
BHPian

Default re: Planning My Second Car. EDIT : Final contender, the SX4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Have you thought of the SX4 VDI, though it is around 80k more it may give you that diesel feel you are used to in the Swift, as well as save some money on the fuel.
I am pushing by budget envelope from VXi to ZXi just because of the safety features ZXi has to offer, VDi is equivalent to VXi and hence will not serve my purpose, ZDi is way beyond my budget.

Plus I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5-6 years or until it regularly starts burning my pocket for repairs and maintenance, so my plan is that when it gets boring I can get a few upgrades done in the engine (port polishing, exhaust, etc.) on the VGT Multijet oil burner I don't think much is possible.

Anyways currently my priority is on safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. Do you really need 2 vehicles?
2. SX4 Diesel will give you all that you need in terms of daily driving, diesel economy, ground clearance, sufficient space for passengers and luggage and a nice modern vehicle with the added bonus of being inexpensive to run and maintain on account of the proven trouble free Maruti reliability and after sales service.

If I were you I would go for the fully loaded ZXi if I were buying petrol or the top end ZDi if I were buying Diesel. In this sense absolutely no need for 2 separate vehicles. And the SX4 is a sensible upgrade from the Swift.

I agree with your lament that the SX4 Hatch with 4x4 is not sold here in India. But who knows, if Dacia/Renault Duster lands up next year and does well, then Suzuki may see the sense in bringing the SX4 hatch in here too. Though if you ask me they should have gauged the potential and stolen a march on Renault because the SX4 hatch 4x4 has been around in the world for longer than the Duster has!
Two vehicles' idea has been scrapped for now, I have enough things to do on weekends (RD 350, photography, hills, forests) and I don't think I will be able to squeeze any more time for serious offroading. May be later in life I will remove some items from the list to replace it with offroading.

Regarding SX4 Crossover, its no way in any sort of consideration in the near future. If a 4X4 comes from Maruti stable it will be Jimny to create a brand in the offroading/SUV sector rather then disturbing the SX4 brand at the moment
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 18:15   #48
BHPian

Default Final Contender - SX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi rajat, first of all congratulations for you decision going with Maruti SX4, a true value for money car.

Now coming to the point of having ABS etc. in a car, I think if you travel a lot on highways then ABS is a must feature a car should have for the purpose of safety. It is worth the premium it asks. In addition to ABS you will also get airbags which supplements your safety in SX4 ZXi/ZDi variants.

Now it is upto you for which variant you go for. Like if your running is more than 1500 KM per month then diesel is a sensible option and it will return your money back within a couple of years. You can go for petrol version if you can bear petrol costs with higher running.

BTW which variant you are finalizing?
My budget is 865000 INR onroad (this figure is not stretchable at all!)

My yearly running will not be more than 15000 kms, so the average turns out to be 1250 kms, I communicated these numbers to the salesman from the dealer and asked me to buy a petrol. He suggested that the diesel should be bought if daily running is in the range of 80-100 kms.

I have never understood the statement "return your money back within a couple of years" when you are spending money on buying the car and then the fuel!

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years, in case of petrol I can go for some basic tuning which will not be possible in case of a diesel.

@ mdsaab - true, this is what I am thinking

Savings (VDi) vs Safety (ZXi) - I think Safety should win
Old 25th April 2011, 19:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Final Contender - SX4

Quote:
My budget is 865000 INR onroad (this figure is not stretchable at all!)

My yearly running will not be more than 15000 kms, so the average turns out to be 1250 kms, I communicated these numbers to the salesman from the dealer and asked me to buy a petrol. He suggested that the diesel should be bought if daily running is in the range of 80-100 kms.

I have never understood the statement "return your money back within a couple of years" when you are spending money on buying the car and then the fuel!

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years, in case of petrol I can go for some basic tuning which will not be possible in case of a diesel.

@ mdsaab - true, this is what I am thinking

Savings (VDi) vs Safety (ZXi) - I think Safety should win
The savings in a diesel car are multifold
1. Savings because of better FE.
2. Savings because of differential pricing
3. Savings of effort in congested conditions as the low end torque requires fewer gear changes

In five years you would save enough to compensate for the initial price differential. You would also get better resale value for the diesel car. If you save a rupee a kilometer you will save 75K in five years. The actual savings are much more.

Regarding engine mods, today both petrol and diesel are fuel injected computer controlled engines. Any modification has to be at the ECU level, in fact diesel engines have an off-the shelf mod kit (Pete's Box), while for petrol you have to hunt around. Petrol engines being lighter do not take kindly to excessive power upgrade, while diesels are of more robust built.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 21:04   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Final Contender - SX4

• Better FE - agreed
  • I understand less effort in congested conditions but I already told that this car will be a highway horse.
  • Please explain how can a highly priced vehicle offer more savings (SX4 ZDi is almost Rs. 1 lakh expensive then the SX4 ZXi), I am failing to understand the concept of immediate savings when you are starting off by paying 1 lakh extra. So if one buys a ZDi by paying 1 lakh more and then saves Rs. 75000 over the period of 5 years. Doesn't it makes sense to buy something 1 lakh cheaper ?
  • Modern diesel engines are more complex then the petrol counterparts, engine overhaul are more expensive then the petrol counterparts. Regarding resale of diesel, it totally depends what the car is, try selling an old Indica and see the depreciation and takers (compare this with Swift D)

Quote:
The savings in a diesel car are multifold
1. Savings because of better FE.
2. Savings because of differential pricing
3. Savings of effort in congested conditions as the low end torque requires fewer gear changes

In five years you would save enough to compensate for the initial price differential. You would also get better resale value for the diesel car. If you save a rupee a kilometer you will save 75K in five years. The actual savings are much more.

Regarding engine mods, today both petrol and diesel are fuel injected computer controlled engines. Any modification has to be at the ECU level, in fact diesel engines have an off-the shelf mod kit (Pete's Box), while for petrol you have to hunt around. Petrol engines being lighter do not take kindly to excessive power upgrade, while diesels are of more robust built.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:59   #51
BHPian

Default Re: Planning My Second Car. EDIT : Final contender, the SX4!

Got a followup call from the dealer about when I am planning to book the car, I was not able to book the car for the last two weekends, one time was unable to locate the dealership in Ghaziabad and next time it was labour day holiday,

Just for the sake of info I asked the sales guy about SX4 diesel, surprisingly there is max 10-15 days waiting this is only if the color that I want is not in stock, else its the usual 1 week, he went on and said that even the fuel efficiency of the diesel variant is around 18 kmpl (ARAI claims 21.5) as claimed by the first few cars that has started to come for their first service.

Now this has put me again into confusion, 10-11 kmpl (Rs.62/lit) Vs 16-18 kmpl (Rs.43/lit), ZXi's safety Vs VDi's low running cost,
With my Swift VDi I never ever thought of the fuel costs, but even before owning the SX4 ZXi I have done many calculations on how much money I will be burning on petrol, and considering petrol's upward trend things are not rosy in the near future,

Need some to the point, quick(have to book SX4 this weekend) confusion demolishing help here
Old 6th May 2011, 13:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, safety is paramount!

And diesel rates are going up too. In perspective with safety features, don't think about fuel prices as that is one thing you just cannot predict.

Guess ZXi should win this round!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 16:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

+1, safety is paramount. Diesel & petrol proces are expected to go up at the same time. If you cannot go in for the ZDi, please go in for the ZXi.
IMHO, if you have to spend 1 lakh more, and you save 75K at the end of 5 years; you need to compare the 75K with what the 1lakh would be worth after 5 years. At fixed rates of 8% pa compunded for 5 years, it would 1.47L. So even if you get 75K extra for your old ZDi than a ZXi you would still only break even after 5 years at your running estimate (as you would have saved the other 75K on fuel).

The safety features would definitely give you better peace of mind; I hope & pray that you never have to be in a situation where they have to be used/ deployed!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 16:57   #54
BHPian

I understand that safety is very important, but upon a quick recap I do not recall a single instance (of my 50,000 kms on my Swift VDi) when I had to brake suddenly, but like someone said that you can never predict such scenarios, they can even happen due to the foolishness of someone else,

Please also keep in mind that majority of my driving would be on the highways, Himachal and Uttarakhand hills. I would be taking public transport for daily commute (for office),

The diesel ownership for 4 years actually spoiled me, and I never felt the pinch when taking the car to the long trips (most fuel expense would be within 5000 Rs.)

Life was so easy when I went to buy my Swift VDi in 2007, there was simply no choice for airbags.

My running in the Swift VDi was 50000 kms in 4 years of ownership (12500 kms per year)

Still Thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, safety is paramount!

And diesel rates are going up too. In perspective with safety features, don't think about fuel prices as that is one thing you just cannot predict.

Guess ZXi should win this round!
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
+1, safety is paramount. Diesel & petrol prices are expected to go up at the same time. If you cannot go in for the ZDi, please go in for the ZXi.
IMHO, if you have to spend 1 lakh more, and you save 75K at the end of 5 years; you need to compare the 75K with what the 1lakh would be worth after 5 years. At fixed rates of 8% pa compunded for 5 years, it would 1.47L. So even if you get 75K extra for your old ZDi than a ZXi you would still only break even after 5 years at your running estimate (as you would have saved the other 75K on fuel).

The safety features would definitely give you better peace of mind; I hope & pray that you never have to be in a situation where they have to be used/ deployed!

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 6th May 2011 at 16:58.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that safety is very important, but upon a quick recap I do not recall a single instance (of my 50,000 kms on my Swift VDi) when I had to brake suddenly, but like someone said that you can never predict such scenarios, they can even happen due to the foolishness of someone else,

Please also keep in mind that majority of my driving would be on the highways, Himachal and Uttarakhand hills. I would be taking public transport for daily commute (for office),
I would not mind air bags, but they are not of paramount importance to me. I would rate ABS much higher as a safety device. When I started driving over forty years ago, there were no seat belt, air bags or ABS. One drove carefully and anticipated trouble before it came.

Today though, there are a lot of indisciplined drivers and safety devices devices may get you out of a sticky situation, but if you drive defensively (and do not put all your trust into the machine, and of course god), you will not need them. This winter a friend crashed his Outlander into the metro pillar in fog, and his air bags inflated. Not only did they create more problems for him, as he nearly got smothered, but set him back by a cool 1L. Of course ABS comes handy if you need to stop at a very high speed, but then if you do not have it you may be more careful and proactive in your driving.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 20:47   #56
BHPian

Aroy, thanks for the "the topic is over" kind of comment ,

to be honest your comments regarding the running cost etc. were constantly in my mind,

I was also thinking on the same lines like you mentioned below, and feel that ABS is more important than air bags,

Quote:
I would not mind air bags, but they are not of paramount importance to me. I would rate ABS much higher as a safety device. When I started driving over forty years ago, there were no seat belt, air bags or ABS. One drove carefully and anticipated trouble before it came.

Today though, there are a lot of undisciplined drivers and safety devices devices may get you out of a sticky situation, but if you drive defensively (and do not put all your trust into the machine, and of course god), you will not need them. This winter a friend crashed his Outlander into the metro pillar in fog, and his air bags inflated. Not only did they create more problems for him, as he nearly got smothered, but set him back by a cool 1L. Of course ABS comes handy if you need to stop at a very high speed, but then if you do not have it you may be more careful and proactive in your driving.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:48   #57
BHPian

SX4 VDi DDiS Booked!
Old 8th May 2011, 01:33   #58
BHPian

I am thinking of the following immediate accessories -

1. Reverse sensors (at the time of delivery)
2. Alloys & tire upgrade (as soon as I drive out of the showroom) - Anyone who can suggest a place in NCR where I can get OEM alloys and tires (showroom has quoted 22000 for just the set of 5 alloys)
3. Seat Covers (within a month)
4. Fog lamps (before winters)
Old 8th May 2011, 07:02   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

sarkar,

Why not the ZDi? Airbags save lives. Plus you want the alloys etc too.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 10:50   #60
BHPian

ZDi is 1 lakh more expensive then the VDi,

Like I had said earlier 865000 was the maximum I was able to stretch my budget, 965000 is out of reach,

Regarding airbags, I completely agree with you that they save lives, but here I am taking a calculated risk based on my past experience of driving style (I am not a rash driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
sarkar,

Why not the ZDi? Airbags save lives. Plus you want the alloys etc too.