Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 10th September 2009, 10:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Perfect replacement for NHC

Background
Around same time of the year about 5 years ago we got a NHC, back then it was one of the most talked about car. So it was a no brainer.
Fastforward 2009
Now the car has completed 5years with us and we are looking forward to replacing it.we have a budget of abt 9lakhs + - 50k ex showroom(the road taxt in chandigarh is around 5k )
Over the year the priorities for choosing the car have changed. The priorities are

1 It should be a diesel
2 Should have good fe
3 A.S.S should be good
4 Maintance costs should be more or less like honda
6 Should be comfortable to drive and be driven in.

About the usage

The car will be mostly be used on highway for about 100 km minimum and on ok ok roads. And once or twice will go on a long trip in a year

Cars shortlisted

Fiat Linea
The car looks good. When for a td, was not impressed much with as it was slow of the mark for my liking and the quality of the interior was not up to the mark. And i am worried about the a.s.s. And resale

Ford Fiesta
Had a look at the top end sxi variant like the colour of the wood finishe dashboard. But the car felt small and the high maintance cost is scaring me.About the drive it did felt underpowered but i liked the way the car handled

Hyundai Verna
The interior plastic quality was not good, it didnt feel like a 8 lakh rupee car. The engine was good but the handling was very poor and during my visit saw 2 vernas, one had come for a engine overhaul at 65 k and the other one was a accidental one which just scared me to the core.

Tata safari
Went for a td with high hope. Had a lot of liking for it. But the moment i put it in 1st gear and my dream was shattered the amount of play the gear lever had was the breaking point and td vehicle had so many rattles. All this was enough to scare me

Mahindera scorpio
Liked the interior and the feel. The gear lever felt good after the safaris. The handling was nice.but i am bit scared as i have heard alot about it toppling. Please advise.

Chevy optra
I liked the car alot.The amount of power it had was insane and the interiors were just perfect for me.
Nunber1 on the list so far and discount they are offering is just great and make it more tempting

Toyota Innova
Already have one as a company vehicle and checked the new one but it bieng almost a lakh expensive is it worth it

Please suggest which vehicle would suit my need the best and would be serve me effciently for a period 5 years

Ps the car would ferry 2 people max on a daily basis. And it should look good while taking to college

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th September 2009 at 11:34. Reason: changed formatting for better readability.
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

The cars that matches your requirement are :
1) Chevy Optra Magnum
2) Fiat Linea.

Considering that you are coming out more satisfied after Optra test drive, I suggest you go for it. The space is good, suspension is good, ride quality is good and generally the car is reliable.

About Fiat linea, whatever people have to say, figures are proof enough that it cant move fast. And the rear seat space is not as good as optra. Also as you have mentioned, the Fiat car's sales and service is now managed by Tata. I dont know, but from what I have read and the humans I have talked to in Vadodara ( most of them students of MSU, Baroda ) the service centers are not even OK visits. They try to solve the problem, but generally get half hearted after initiating a job. But this varies from location to location and on TBHP there are reports that A.S & S. is not a big issue.
Best is, if you are buying Linea, then go to the service center, have a talk with customers. This will give you the best idea of what that specific dealer is like.

Chevy is too much professional ( going by Vadodara dealer ) and they do have their own channel of dealers which for me ( i.e. IMO ) is a positive point.

There are no diesels that come under Rs. 10 lakh. May be Skoda Octavia, but after various threads about Skoda, I suggest you dont consider it.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:08   #3
BHPian

I dont suppose Optra LT TCDi (with safety gadgets) come under 9.5L? nor does the Octavia TDi.

Do you need a boot? If not, look at premium hatches that are loaded to the brim and are so comfy to drive in city - i20, Punto, Fabia, et-al.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:19   #4
BHPian

Hi Manik,

Get the scorpio. Tough reliable vehicle and you will love the punchy engine.
Get it in black and put a cool set of alloys. It will create the right "impression" in college and the chiks will be impressed.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Close your eyes and go for magnum diesel.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 13:20   #6
BHPian

Looks like the Optra is the one you most want to buy! What's the price difference between that and the Scorpio?

I didn't understand the bit about the gear lever in the Safari. Isn't that the sort of thing you can get used to with time?

Haven't heard of Scorpios toppling more than any other model, but others may know more.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 00:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

@aaggoswami
yes the GM people are very professional in their approach. they are the only people who have responded to all my queries and about linea only thing going in its favor is its looks and i have seen people waiting for months to get a clutch plate for palios, so i am thinking how can lineas case be any different and the plastic quality is not so great

@ AirWind
i am planning to go for the LS variant as its in my budget and boot is very much needed as in a years time its going to be heavily iced

@JediKnight
i had the same thing in mind but then my friends and relatives told me stories of it toppling and reports of new scorpio getting stolen is scaring me

@Ajaybiz
thanks mate and by reading all the thread about it i am getting closer to booking it

@Perakath
Scorpio sle is costing about 8.37 lakhs + 25 insurance
optra LS is costing about 8.56lakhs + 19k insurance

yes i will get use to it but recently my uncle got a safari and its turbo just failed and tata are refusing to change it under warranty so my dad is dead against it
Old 11th September 2009, 11:10   #8
evo
BHPian

The optra may perhaps be phased out in favour of the cruze, so be careful there. The linea seems to suit your requirements much better than the Scorpio IMHO. Also after the NHC`s really well made interiors you will get "plastic shocked" seeing the stuff inside a Scorp and to a lesser extent in the linea.

Cant you stretch to the Cruze? That would be really really perfect.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ummm... wait for a bit- for the Cruze, as well as the 1.6MJD/ 1.4 T-Jet powered Lineas??! Otherwise Magnum TCDi it is- if the discounts get it to under 9.50Lac. Only the LT variant comes with ABS and Airbags (and oodles of other stuff) IIRC...

Btw, did I miss something, or are you skipping over the ANHC? Ah, the Diesel factor!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 11th September 2009 at 11:57.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Only 2 choices here -

Linea - Brilliant looks and a fab interior and good price.

Verna - Excellent engine and good car. As far as the interiors go, I'd say bland & boring but Top quality and functional. Also you said there was an accidental one that came in. Now that can happen in any car !

The only minus point is no Airbag option in Verna. The Linea does offer you this.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Also after the NHC`s really well made interiors you will get "plastic shocked" seeing the stuff inside a Scorp and to a lesser extent in the linea.
Quote:
about linea only thing going in its favor is its looks and i have seen people waiting for months to get a clutch plate for palios, so i am thinking how can lineas case be any different and the plastic quality is not so great
I changed my 3 yr old NHC ( run just 24000 Km ) for the Linea albeit petrol.
In no way do I find the plastics inferior to what I had on the NHC ( except the bonnet release lever that fell off, but Fiat has modified that component). No rattles etc so far! Plus the features make the NHC ( and the ANHC) look like Plain Jane. The ride, handling and road presence (not to mention looks) are just great. The ride is not as soft as the NHC if you like soft rides. Ingress/Egress is much easier than in the NHC. The seats toooffer much better support. And my experience with A** with the Linea ( one visit so far has been very good; previously with a Fiat Siena and a Tata Indica have been reasonable.

As regards spares, while you rarely need them with a Honda, on the one occasion that I did ( door lock), I had to wait 10 DAYS for the Honda dealer to source it. (I also never needed spares for the Siena). He did not honour the extended warranty on the grounds that I did not have the extended warranty booklet ( never issued) even though it showed in their system. But unlike say Maruti, for most other makes A** depends on the dealers available to you in your city, irrespective of whether it is GM or Fiat
The Linea will never be first of the block from a traffic light, but once you are in 3rd gear it is amazing. Also, the gear settings enable you to reach 5th gear very quickly, something I could rarely accomplish on the NHC.

The rear seat space on the Linea is good too, unless you are 6' tall in which case the height is an issue. Rear seat passengers are also very happy with the cooling at the back .

That being said, the Optra is a great car but like others on this thread, I would wait for the Cru if the budget can be stretched. Or wait for the Linea 1.6MJD!
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 00:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The optra may perhaps be phased out in favour of the cruze, so be careful there.

Cant you stretch to the Cruze? That would be really really perfect.
have asked the same question about to the sales person and the person who gave me a call from Bangalore and they say they have no plans facing Optra in the near future

and dad is not ready to raise the budget anymore i initially started at 7 lacs and now at 9.5lacs so its no no to cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Btw, did I miss something, or are you skipping over the ANHC? Ah, the Diesel factor!
i already have a nhc to don't want to buy the same car again and then its a petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Only 2 choices here -

Linea - Brilliant looks and a fab interior and good price.

Verna - Excellent engine and good car. As far as the interiors go, I'd say bland & boring but Top quality and functional. Also you said there was an accidental one that came in. Now that can happen in any car !

The only minus point is no Airbag option in Verna. The Linea does offer you this.
I don't like the looks of the linea don't know why but i don't ( no offense meant to current linea owners) and the i am little worried about the resale but then again the emotion + comes with so many gadgets that i am having seconds thoughts

and the verna we already have 3 in the family so want something else but recent prices and the disount and amount of gadgets it has makes mouth watering
confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
I changed my 3 yr old NHC ( run just 24000 Km ) for the Linea albeit petrol.
In no way do I find the plastics inferior to what I had on the NHC

That being said, the Optra is a great car but like others on this thread, I would wait for the Cruze if the budget can be stretched. Or wait for the Linea 1.6MJD!
my car to has done about 25k in 5 years but now my running is going to increase so need to change the car at the earliest
and about the plastic quality i mean to say that fit and finish not up to the mark
about the linea 1.6 MJD any idea when its coming out
Old 14th September 2009, 06:45   #13
evo
BHPian

Go for the Linea! IMHO its a far better buy than the Optra, especially since the Optra is such an old car already.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

firstly sorry for not updating the thread after so long, was busy with my exams

and thanks everyone for their valuable suggestion

i went ahead and booked the optra magnum LS last week and will be taking delivery tomorrow morning

will update with pics tomorrow as well as the detail about deal