Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 15th September 2009, 15:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ devdath: since he is planning to use the car on rough roads, good ground clearance is always a boon. octavia's bumper is known the scrape the smallest of speed breakers.

i'll recommend the xylo. a top end xylo with ABS can be yours for around 9.2 lakhs. if he can stretch his budget a little, then the scorpio SLE is a good buy too.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:39   #17
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post

Disagree : After 5 years and 93k+ running : I have spent around 83k. Please check my earlier post.

Why not ? I had a doubt about the life of my Octy and consulted GTO on : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...e-swap-16.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
I am quoting his response:
Even if n.devdath's friend buys a 20k running old Octy : the car is still good for another 150k running (atleast) over 7 years (provided he maintains it well) : which works out to 21.5k running per year : which works out to 1785 km per month.

I agree : it is important to find a good service setup for the Octy.
I`m sure your Octy experience is one of the better ones. Its not about how much it costs to run, if things go well, its when random variables like thieving dealers come into the picture, which is why even though I agree that the Octy is a very solidly built car and used as taxi`s in some countries even beyond 600,000 km, in our scenario, it just doesnt seem to be economical or even reasonable to maintain.

Just my POV.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post

Even if n.devdath's friend buys a 20k running old Octy : the car is still good for another 150k running (atleast) over 7 years (provided he maintains it well) : which works out to 21.5k running per year : which works out to 1785 km per month.

I agree : it is important to find a good service setup for the Octy.
I personally know quite a few people at TAFE Access Bangalore, the authorised Skoda service center and am sure of helping him on this front with little or no niggles.
And the calculations made by you also make sense. But like you said, I was wondering if 9 lac for a Oct2005 L&K is worth it.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 21:58   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A good independent is the best way to go, no point in a 4 - 5 year old European car visiting authorised centers; the price differential is just way too much (between 3 - 5X).

Between the two, and if you find a good garage to take care of the car, the Skoda Octavia will be a way better choice. The Safari has too many issues, even if bought brand new from the showroom!

Other options : How about a used Sonata diesel (if you find one) or an Innova?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 08:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A good independent is the best way to go, no point in a 4 - 5 year old European car visiting authorised centers; the price differential is just way too much (between 3 - 5X).

Between the two, and if you find a good garage to take care of the car, the Skoda Octavia will be a way better choice. The Safari has too many issues, even if bought brand new from the showroom!

Other options : How about a used Sonata diesel (if you find one) or an Innova?
Sonata diesel, certainly yes but like you said, if I find one, and in that range. Also getting a good Innova is proving to be pretty fishy with all those digitial odometer experts roaming around in Bangalore.

I guess the Elantra diesel spares are/would become progressively harder to find right??
Old 16th September 2009, 10:19   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Safari has too many issues, even if bought brand new from the showroom!
This message does not hold good as there are many owners including me on this forum and outside the forum who have bought new and enjoying the life without any issues.

Please do not put a generalised statement.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i'll recommend the xylo. a top end xylo with ABS can be yours for around 9.2 lakhs. if he can stretch his budget a little, then the scorpio SLE is a good buy too.
I understand you are among the senior Scorp owners in the forum but as you said, it is the ride quality of the Scorpio which put us off and the looks of the Xylo especially the front end. Moreover, he needs the best fuel efficiency possible and I have seen Safari owners getting better fuel efficiency figures than the Xylo.
Coming to the Octavia, I have not driven it on rough roads so I m really not sure of its GC but Amogh is a very old Octy owner and he has experienced all sorts of roads in it which boosted my confidence.
Your comments please...
Old 16th September 2009, 12:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, he needs the best fuel efficiency possible and I have seen Safari owners getting better fuel efficiency figures than the Xylo.
I assume you mean to say "best fuel efficiency possible in the chosen vehicle segment". And that is how your friend short listed the Octy & the Safari.

Octy because it has the best FE in diesel sedan's.
Safari because it has the best FE in diesel SUV's

Comparison of Octy v. Safari/Xylo is a no-brainer. We all know who the winner will be.

Safari v. Xylo FE comparison makes more sense.

Quote:
Coming to the Octavia, I have not driven it on rough roads so I m really not sure of its GC but Amogh is a very old Octy owner and he has experienced all sorts of roads.
When we talk about a car on "rough roads" we mainly talk about two things
1. The ride quality of the vehicle on rough road (by this I mean do the occupants of the car "feel" the rough road)
2. The ground clearance of the car (does the car hit the road ?) Here I am mainly talking about uneven bumps, deep potholes etc

I have driven the Octy on roads that are "rough" but are uniform. By this I mean a road that is not built of tar / cement but is a dusty village road having a large number of small bumps, stones etc. Even though this road qualifies as a "rough road" it really does not hit the bottom of the car (you can imagine a typical village road here) All it does is brings down your average speed to about 30-40 km/hr instead of 70-80 km/hr

The Octy handles these kinds of roads beautifully. The ride quality on such roads is outstanding and the occupants don't feel the actual roughness of the road. Yes, you will find the odd huge pothole, but with a bit of intelligent driving (slowing down, keeping one side of the car on the outside of the pothole etc) you can negotiate it.

If the road is "RUGGED" instead of "ROUGH" : Octy is of absolutely no use.

I think at the end of the day, looking at your friend's probable use pattern (20% city, 30% state highways and town roads, 50% National highways) : GC should not be having too much of weight attached to it.

Amogh

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 16th September 2009 at 12:07. Reason: typo
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:31   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
This message does not hold good as there are many owners including me on this forum and outside the forum who have bought new and enjoying the life without any issues.

Gowda, it's not a generalised statement at all. The Safari has received below average reliability ratings in a majority of our ownership reviews.

I'm happy to hear that your Safari has been trouble-free. However, lets be real here and talk averages. The key question is : How many Safaris out of every 1000 sold have problems? The number of problems - averaged - for the Safari is way higher than the industry average. C'mon, its really not about the cars we own either. For example, I consider my own C220 to be an unreliable machine due to its many problems. That doesn't mean every C220 out there is problematic, but it is a fact that a 100% reliable C220 is more the exception than the rule (averaging by the 100s or 1000s again).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Hot News

This is a new update.
Just got a call from him saying he was being offered a July-Sept(approx month of manufacture) 2008 (I do not know the month) Safari 2.2 LX from a dealer at Bhopal (which is his native place) for a discount of Rs:1.5 lacs approx. The truck, has done around 350 kms on the odo.
The reason for it being in stock for so long is not known.
Do you folks think it is a good desicion to purchase it or look for a good used Octy in the 7.5-8.5 lac bracket keeping in mind the same requirements and long term use??
Replies from Amogh, Gowda, Raj, GTO, Aggoswami, Kadam etc highly appreciated and awaited.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:21   #26
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a new update.
Just got a call from him saying he was being offered a July-Sept(approx month of manufacture) 2008 (I do not know the month) Safari 2.2 LX from a dealer at Bhopal (which is his native place) for a discount of Rs:1.5 lacs approx. The truck, has done around 350 kms on the odo.
A friend of mine in Kolkata was offered a similar deal from the dealer (2 lakh off). A 2008 model LX. It was unregistered but a year old, I`m assuming it was a test drive car. Dont consider the odo reading, all TD Safari`s I`ve seen have disconnected meters.

IMHO, if the dealer gives the extended warranty (starting from current date) and a nice fat discount, it can be a good deal. But look at it as a much better deal than a used safari, not as compared to a new one.

Though, considering how TD vehicles are used, its a little scary too!
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

and there are many owners in (& out of) this forum as well, who have not been happy with the safari, me included.

GTO's next post enlightens the fact further.

Quote:
I understand you are among the senior Scorp owners in the forum but as you said, it is the ride quality of the Scorpio which put us off and the looks of the Xylo especially the front end. Moreover, he needs the best fuel efficiency possible and I have seen Safari owners getting better fuel efficiency figures than the Xylo.
Coming to the Octavia, I have not driven it on rough roads so I m really not sure of its GC but Amogh is a very old Octy owner and he has experienced all sorts of roads in it which boosted my confidence.
Your comments please...
i feel FE is almost like a subjective term here now! many claim they have got 12-14 kmpl in their safari 2.2 in city with AC. i have no reasons not to believe them & challenge their statements. but i have never got anything more than 9.5 kmpl in mumbai city. and i have not got a lemon! yes, i do drive in dense traffic. my neighbour who owns a xylo says he gets around 9-10 kmpl in city with 100% AC.

Quote:
This is a new update.
Do you folks think it is a good desicion to purchase it or look for a good used Octy in the 7.5-8.5 lac bracket keeping in mind the same requirements and long term use??
Replies from Amogh, Gowda, Raj, GTO, Aggoswami, Kadam etc highly appreciated and awaited.
since the reason for it being in the godown for so long is unknown & also since it was idle for more than a year, its a big NO-NO from my side.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a new update.

350 kms on a car in stock is not good. Even 150kms is quite high. We too were offered such a deal for Safari in Oct 2005. Dad was inclined towards Safari as earlier his car of choice was Sierra. I warned him of errors, and eventually we settled down for Baleno.
But dad's colleague bought that specific safari and faced a lot of issues. More than one person in my dad's company opted for these deals and no one is really happy about that.
This a bit fishy deal, and best is to stay out of it. I would still suggest that going in for a new car is good option as already your friend is spending a lot of money and now till Diwali, Xylo is offered with 4 year/1 lakh kms. warranty.

Xylo with 4 year warranty thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-warranty.html (Mahindra Xylo Now with a 4 year warranty)

Just stay away from these deals.

EDIT :
OT :
Its Aag-Goswami, not Aggoswami. Call me Fire-Goswami.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th September 2009 at 15:29.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
since the reason for it being in the godown for so long is unknown & also since it was idle for more than a year, its a big NO-NO from my side.
I called the dealer myself and spoke to the manager. He told me that it is an LX Gold color and the reason it is still in stock is because that color in the LX version is not liked by many and it was ordered by someone else who changed his mind and purchased a Pearl white.
I need to confirm the warranty start date though, if we decide to move forward on this.

Fire Goswamiji, sorry for your name being misspelt and yes I was told that it has done the mileage it has because it has been brought from the yard to the showroom quite a few times.

Last edited by n.devdath : 16th September 2009 at 15:44.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called the dealer myself and spoke to the manager. He told me that it is an LX Gold color and the reason it is still in stock is because that color in the LX version is not liked by many and it was ordered by someone else who changed his mind and purchased a Pearl white.
I need to confirm the warranty start date though, if we decide to move forward on this.
alright, but what i meant was a car which has been idle in the godown for more than a year can give a lot of issues.