Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 15:59   #31
BHPian
 
Hoopoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Adding to what Raj said. We had a Palio that rested for 6 months while my brother was away studying. Its timing belt gave a lot of problem (we were saved from a complete overhaul of the engine at just 15000km) because leaving it idle too long had made the belts crack. Another area of concern is brake lines and fuel lines. These systems are besk kept working. I think it is never a great idea to buy vehicles that have stayed idle too long. Unless, of course, you are prepared to get faulty systems fully replaced.

I think in the budget and requirements you mention, Scorpio SLE fits perfectly.
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:28   #32
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a new update.
Just got a call from him saying he was being offered a July-Sept(approx month of manufacture) 2008 (I do not know the month) Safari 2.2 LX from a dealer at Bhopal (which is his native place) for a discount of Rs:1.5 lacs approx. The truck, has done around 350 kms on the odo.
The reason for it being in stock for so long is not known.
Simple Answer : NO !!

A single owner used car is any day a better bet than buying a car that has been lying for 12 months with the dealer. And do you REALLY believe the 350 km ODO running ?

And the 1.5 lac discount ??? : I don't think it is a discount. The car has already depreciated by that amount. If anything the dealer should give you a discount on the depreciated value of the car. Even then I won't buy it.

And why the Safari LX ? It is a complete strip down version. Look at what the car DOES NOT have

1. CD Player
2. Roof mounted rear AC
3. Electrically operated remote fuel flap
4. Height adjustable drivers seat
5. Rear glass demister
6. ABS
7. Airbags
8. Engine immobilizer
9. Fog lamps

Not a good idea I will conclude !!

Amogh
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:04   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Simple Answer : NO !!

A single owner used car is any day a better bet than buying a car that has been lying for 12 months with the dealer. And do you REALLY believe the 350 km ODO running ?

And the 1.5 lac discount ??? : I don't think it is a discount. The car has already depreciated by that amount. If anything the dealer should give you a discount on the depreciated value of the car. Even then I won't buy it.

And why the Safari LX ? It is a complete strip down version. Look at what the car DOES NOT have

1. CD Player
2. Roof mounted rear AC
3. Electrically operated remote fuel flap
4. Height adjustable drivers seat
5. Rear glass demister
6. ABS
7. Airbags
8. Engine immobilizer
9. Fog lamps

Not a good idea I will conclude !!

Amogh
So do you, being an Octy owner yourself, think that a price of Rs: 9.0lacs for the late 05 L&K single owner done around 20-25k kms is ok?? Or do you suggest I tell him to look around a bit more for an Elegance or an Ambiente?
Also, does it make a big difference if he buys an older model but lesser used for example a 40-50k kms run 2003 or 04 model?
Such cars are easier to find in the market for a price of Rs:5.0-6.0 lacs approx here in Bangalore.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:20   #34
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So do you, being an Octy owner yourself, think that a price of Rs: 9.0lacs for the late 05 L&K single owner done around 20-25k kms is ok?? Or do you suggest I tell him to look around a bit more for an Elegance or an Ambiente?
Also, does it make a big difference if he buys an older model but lesser used for example a 40-50k kms run 2003 or 04 model?
Such cars are easier to find in the market for a price of Rs:5.0-6.0 lacs approx here in Bangalore.
If it is a late 2005 model : I think 9.0 lacs is ok. But including insurance and whatever registration + one time tax charges your friend will have to pay to the previous owner.

Older model but lesser used also makes sense.

But no matter how much the running and how old the car is, make sure you get the entire service history of the car. A low run but improperly maintained car will give you a lot of trouble.

btw : one more point : I have seen a lot of "L&K's" for sale on carwale with their colours listed as red, black, green etc. Do remember that the L&K came only black & silver colours.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 18:00   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a new update.
Just got a call from him saying he was being offered a July-Sept(approx month of manufacture) 2008 (I do not know the month) Safari 2.2 LX from a dealer at Bhopal (which is his native place) for a discount of Rs:1.5 lacs approx. The truck, has done around 350 kms on the odo.
Must read thread (Long term storage effect on new Car). If he has decided on the Safari, it'd be better for him to go in for a 10,000 kms 2008 Safari that has been running everyday, than buy one that's standing in the same place for over a year.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 20:51   #36
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

@n.devdath : any updates ? what did your friend finally end up buying ?
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mahindra Bolero DI: A tough nut, but not as tough as I would have liked. EDIT -Stolen & Recovered rahul4321 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 102 26th May 2017 00:16
Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Choice rahulmd Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 103 20th May 2014 16:58
Very Tricky Choice To Make (A simple DVD MP3 player) absynthguzzler In-Car Entertainment 11 1st October 2008 08:57
Michigan: State driver's license requirements (now fixed) Rock 'n' rollz The International Automotive Scene 44 9th February 2008 02:24
Which used CAR will fulfil these requirements shapath Hatchbacks 15 3rd September 2007 22:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks