Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 15th September 2009, 10:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Simple Requirements: Tough Choice.

Hi,
I m posting this topic on behalf of my friend who is requires a diesel automobile(let me stick to that) and has the following requirements from it.
1. Should be fuel efficient.
2. Should be fast.
3. Should have "All Road" capabilities.
4. Should seat 4 comfortably.
5. Will be used in the following pattern: 20% city, 30% state highways and town roads, 50% National highways.
6. Must be durable.
7. Can be a new or a used vehicle.

The vehicles currently zeroed down are a used Octavia 1.9 TDI L&K version 20k kms run 2005 Nov model available for Rs: 9.0 lacs approx and the Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX 2008 model run 12000kms available for Rs:7.5 lacs.

Team, views. opinions and comments please.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) What is his exact budget ? Rs. 7.5 lakh or 9.0 lakh ?
2) Does he plan off roading ?

Now considering that he also had a look at Octy, I will take liberty of thinking that he is not planning offroading, but rather wants a car that can handle bad roads.

The first choice is brand new Scorpio with ABS and I think from SLE version ABS starts. Or he can go for brand new Safari.

Also ask him to have a look at Renault Logan and Swift Dzire as brand new cars.

Avoid Skoda if possible.
I am adding sedans because your friend did consider Octy.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:37   #3
BHPian

I like to suggest Optra Magnum, try used car market, you are sure to come across well maintained ones.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) What is his exact budget ? Rs. 7.5 lakh or 9.0 lakh ?
2) Does he plan off roading ?

Now considering that he also had a look at Octy, I will take liberty of thinking that he is not planning offroading, but rather wants a car that can handle bad roads.

The first choice is brand new Scorpio with ABS and I think from SLE version ABS starts. Or he can go for brand new Safari.

Also ask him to have a look at Renault Logan and Swift Dzire as brand new cars.

Avoid Skoda if possible.
I am adding sedans because your friend did consider Octy.
Thank you for your response.You are correct, there is no plan for hard core off-roading.
As far as the budget goes, it is around 7.5 lacs for a used and around 9.0 lacs for a new car or a very sparingly used car.

It is the safety features of the Octy which are impressive for him. ABS and airbags which are not available for his budget in the Safari. even if bought new.
Also, I checked the price of the Scorpio M-Hawk SLE without ABS (I guess) from Carwale for OTR Bangalore and it comes to 9,72,009.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:40   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi,
I m posting this topic on behalf of my friend who is requires a diesel automobile(let me stick to that) and has the following requirements from it.
2. Should be fast.
5. Will be used in the following pattern: 20% city, 30% state highways and town roads, 50% National highways.
6. Must be durable.

The vehicles currently zeroed down are a used Octavia 1.9 TDI L&K version 20k kms run 2005 Nov model available for Rs: 9.0 lacs approx and the Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX 2008 model run 12000kms available for Rs:7.5 lacs.

Team, views. opinions and comments please.
Knowing Devdath, you always know his friend will buy the Safari under any eventuality

Devdath, congrats to your friend for buying the TATA Safari 2.2 VTT LX. Thats the only car that will complete his requirements. Knowing the trouble Skoda's give to their customers.

Let us know the color soon...
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi,
2. Should be fast.
6. Must be durable.
Based on the information you have given (requires a diesel automotive) go for the Octy 1.9 TDI L&K. That is one hell of a car. Let me address your points one by one.

Quote:
Tell me about it !! My Octy has been consistently giving a FE of 18-19 in city and 20+ on highways. On a recent trip it gave a staggering 25.64 km/lit. Read about it here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-done-2.html (Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI L&K Review : 90,000 kms done) (You have already posted on my thread)

Quote:
2. Should be fast.
If anything above 150 km/hr is fast for you; yes the Octy does qualify as a FAST car

Quote:
3. Should have "All Road" capabilities
For your friend's running : city, state highway and national highway : YES : The octy is a good ride on these roads. Hell it is a good ride on even bumpy village roads !!

Quote:
This is the BIGGEST disappoinment of the Octy. The rear seat leg room at best is adequate for 5'5" to 5'7" people. If all 4 are tall, then there is going to be a problem.

Quote:
6. Must be durable.
You won't find a better built car than the Octy in its segment. Superb built quality.

The cost of maintenance for an Octy is high (if the car is still in warranty and you HAVE to get it serviced from an authorised service station) But if you get it serviced from private garage, it is affordable.

For how long does your friend intend to keep the car ?

I think 9 lacs is high for a Nov 2005 1.9 TDI Octy L&K.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Based on the information you have given (requires a diesel automotive) go for the Octy 1.9 TDI L&K. That is one hell of a car. Let me address your points one by one.

For your friend's running : city, state highway and national highway : YES : The octy is a good ride on these roads. Hell it is a good ride on even bumpy village roads !!

You won't find a better built car than the Octy in its segment. Superb built quality.

The cost of maintenance for an Octy is high (if the car is still in warranty and you HAVE to get it serviced from an authorised service station) But if you get it serviced from private garage, it is affordable.

For how long does your friend intend to keep the car ?

I think 9 lacs is high for a Nov 2005 1.9 TDI Octy L&K.
Finally, words of wisdom from the Octy Seniors in the forum.
To answer your questions, the car would be kept for at least 7 years down the line if not more.

I dont think there is anyone taller than me(I m 5.11) in his family so, height shouldnt be an issue.

Tell me, based on your experiences which I m sure are vast with the Octy, has ground clearance been a very frequent issue on bad/village roads??

And, in case the Octy is finalised, do you know/can try to get a good deal or two?? This should have been a PM but still.....
Old 15th September 2009, 11:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Let us know the color soon...
You never cease to amuse buddy, he is certainly looking at both with equal curiousity. Lets see what the forum decides.
Hey, joining the Sunday OTR at Magadi Road in case you are at BLR?
Old 15th September 2009, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Tell me, based on your experiences which I m sure are vast with the Octy, has ground clearance been a very frequent issue on bad/village roads??
I agree that @134 mm the Octy does not have the best ground clearance. But it has not been a "frequent" issue. yes, one or two times it has been an issue. But it has definitely not been at a level where it gives us nightmares when we hit a rough patch of road.

Quote:
And, in case the Octy is finalised, do you know/can try to get a good deal or two?? This should have been a PM but still.....
Considering you are in Bangalore and the 1.9 TDI L&K is discontinued; I can imagine the high price. I will look around in Pune and let you know what the quoted prices here are.

Keep in mind while comparing the the Octy & Safari : for equal amount of running : Safari fuel cost is going to be 55% more than Octy just because of the difference in fuel efficiency.

Just a sample calculation below

For 7 years : @ 1500 km running a month : total running = 126,000 kms

Fuel Cost of Octy @ 17 km/lit FE @ Rs.40 per lit = Rs. 2.95 lacs
Fuel Cost of Safari @ 11 km/lit FE @ Rs.40 per lit = Rs. 4.58 lacs

Difference = 1.63 lacs

Over my 93k+ running of Octy : I have spent around 83k in service cost. You can do the rest of the math.

The servicing frequency of Octy & Safari is same : every 15k kms. So number of visits to service center for routing servicing are going to be same. The cost of servicing will differ.

But the savings in fuel cost will offset the higher service cost of the Octy.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 15th September 2009 at 12:28. Reason: typo
Old 15th September 2009, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I agree that @134 mm the Octy does not have the best ground clearance. But it has not been a "frequent" issue. yes, one or two times it has been an issue. But it has definitely not been at a level where it gives us nightmares when we hit a rough patch of road.

Considering you are in Bangalore and the 1.9 TDI L&K is discontinued; I can imagine the high price. I will look around in Pune and let you know what the quoted prices here are.

Keep in mind while comparing the the Octy & Safari : for equal amount of running : Safari fuel cost is going to be 55% more than Octy just because of the difference in fuel efficiency.

Just a sample calculation below

For 7 years : @ 1500 km running a month : total running = 126,000 kms

Fuel Cost of Octy @ 17 km/lit FE @ Rs.40 per lit = Rs. 2.95 lacs
Fuel Cost of Safari @ 11 km/lit FE @ Rs.40 per lit = Rs. 4.58 lacs

Difference = 1.63 lacs

Over my 93k+ running of Octy : I have spent around 83k in service cost. You can do the rest of the math.

The servicing frequency of Octy & Safari is same : every 15k kms. So number of visits to service center for routing servicing are going to be same. The cost of servicing will differ.

But the savings in fuel cost will offset the higher service cost of the Octy.
Thank you so much for your inputs in the matter. Running cost is certainly one among the many areas that the Octy seems to score over the Safari.
Also, as you said, since the GC has not been a frequent or a continuous niggle over all bad roads, I guess it can be dealt with.

And yes, I will look forward to any good deal that you would recommend from Pune.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:04   #11
evo
BHPian

Why not a new Safari with 4 years warranty? Much better on bad roads, plus Tata dealers are virtuous saints compared to Skoda Dealers. Plus, 7 years down the line, the gentleman would have easily spent 3-4 lakhs on Skoda maintainance!

In all seriousness, if someone wants to keep a car for 7 years, isnt it better to buy new?
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:16   #12
BHPian

Go for a Scorpio SLX (With ABS) must be around 9 laks in Delhi on Road.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Look for a used tucson.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Why not a new Safari with 4 years warranty?
Quote:
It is the safety features of the Octy which are impressive for him. ABS and airbags which are not available for his budget in the Safari. even if bought new.

Quote:
Plus, 7 years down the line, the gentleman would have easily spent 3-4 lakhs on Skoda maintainance!
Disagree : After 5 years and 93k+ running : I have spent around 83k. Please check my earlier post.

Quote:
In all seriousness, if someone wants to keep a car for 7 years, isnt it better to buy new?
Why not ? I had a doubt about the life of my Octy and consulted GTO on : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...e-swap-16.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)

I am quoting his response:
Quote:
The Octavia is a guaranteed long-termer thanks to minimal electronics, simple engineering and robust construction. I'd hang on to that car till atleast the 1.75 - 2.0 lakh km mark.
Even if n.devdath's friend buys a 20k running old Octy : the car is still good for another 150k running (atleast) over 7 years (provided he maintains it well) : which works out to 21.5k running per year : which works out to 1785 km per month.

I agree : it is important to find a good service setup for the Octy.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

1) Consider Scorpio SLE with ABS. It will cost around 9.5 lakh.
2) If he is not comfortable with Scropio, next in line is Xylo. This is a very comfortable car and now available with ABS also.
3) Coming down to sedans, I think the choice are many here. Starting from Indigo CS we have Swift Dzire, Renault Logan and Tata Indigo.

IMHO, if one is spending more than Rs. 4-5 lakh, its worth to buy a new car. But this is just my opinion.

Ask your friend to testdrive Dzire DDiS, Logan and Indigo. He can also consider Verna, but this is not a good handler and ride quality is not that sorted out.

I would recommend him Xylo.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote