Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 16:18   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I would say Innova all the way. Personally I like owing a sedan for its looks comfort and driving pleasure. But for making long journeys in India, you will come face to face with lot of bad roads. You would then like a vehicle which can take bad roads in its stride and move on. And I would also say for a long distance vehicle, reliablilty is also a concern. Not so in case of a Toyota. And Innova is the closest you would get to a car as far as ride and handling is concened. It has decent handling and all safety options(read abs/ebd/airbags...) and has one of the best stopping distances. Then loads of space. Check the one with the bucket seats in the back.
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 11:27   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,238
Thanked: 78,547 Times
Default

+1 to that. Nothing beats the Innova (in that price range) for highway use. Robust build, stellar reliability, space, lack of body roll (enhances comfort), decent fuel efficiency and near car like handling. The Safari beats the Innova on sheer ride quality, but not on much else.

Throw in the captain seats Innova variant and its on an altogether different level for the passengers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 11:32   #33
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 210
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

agreed, innova all the way,
the toyota is boringly reliable, we have driven more than 100000kms on the innova . it still fells tight, no rattles, no squeaks,no maintainence apart from regular wear and tear.
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 00:35   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 264 Times
Default

I say Innova too. Scorpio's good if you plan to go off roading.
Any takers for the Versa?
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 13:46   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Any takers for the Versa?
The only redeeming factor for the Versa (in its twin AC form) was the AC. The roof side mounted vents were perfect and the journey would be pleasant.

But the space inside and the ride was nothing to write about.

But I have to be fair that over a 1400kms journey through Kerala and Tamil Nadu, none of the 4 members including the driver (me) had no physical problems to complain about. A similar journey in a Viva CRDi resulted in swollen feet and backache for the others except me.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 14:19   #36
BHPian
 
akas_chauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 595
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I would have prefered Mitsubishi Cedia Sports. It's a drivers car and a perfect Sedan.
Old Sedans for long drives, OHC and Baleno.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 15:19   #37
BHPian
 
KALINGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PUNE
Posts: 693
Thanked: 254 Times
Default

My Vote is as follows:-

-Fortuner
-Scorpio
-Safari
----------------
INNOVA
XYLO
--------------

Cheers
KALINGA
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:29   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi

Have been reading this thread and others for a while and finally decided to put forth my dilemma.

My wife and I are looking to put some money behind a second car. The first is a Zen Estillo which I find to be absolutely fantastic for the 15000 km it has run, no trouble except a slightly not perfect rear bumper...

For the second, we are looking for something which would do around 70 km per day on Delhi - Gurgaon MG Road which in 50% of times is jammed and the other 50% a pureplay highway. Some holidaying to the hills (Himachal/ Uttaranchal) on weekends, maybe about 1200 km a month on the holiday front.

Slightly lesser budget (would like to close within 10 lacs).

Having seen costs of Corolla/ Civic abroad and in India, shudder at buying a Honda/ Toyota.

Considering Ford Fiesta (Petrol/ Diesel) or Safari EX/ GX 4x2 or Sx4 Zxi and am open to any other cars except Innova (both wife and I think its a minibus) and Scorpio/ Bolero (wife doesnt like the looks).

Any advise?
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 15:59   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,296 Times
Default

very clear requirements/ preferences indicated here!

My suggestions:
1. Safari - extremely comfortable + diesel power means you will drive anywhere without thinking twice. the new 2.2 Dicor is an excellent engine and the vehicle is good, no doubt about it. Handling it in the city and parking can be a pain because of its size/proportions. also check on your local service chapsand be satisfied on that before taking the plunge.
2. Ford Fiesta - definitely a good idea. the TDCI engine is excellent and the car is solid. Will be small in comparison to the Safari though.
3. SX4 ZXi - an excellent car. maruti's are reliable and no trouble with service. fully loaded with stuff. reasonable price. all in all a very good bet.
4. You could consider a brand new Skoda Octavia as well, if you feel like upping your budget a bit.
5. Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia - great car but somehow not burning the sales charts. I guess it is because its a couple of generations old considering the competition.

Since you are located in Delhi, you may want to consider a big pre-owned low-mileage car - of which there are plenty available there!

Possibly an ENDY, or a Suzuki GV, maybe a Pajero, even a well kept used Skoda Laura L&K or even a Skoda Superb - all of which you should be able to achieve in the budget you have set out for yourself.

If you're open to thinking pre-owned - you might even consider an Accord, Corolla, Civic etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k!ng_@thur View Post
Hi

Have been reading this thread and others for a while and finally decided to put forth my dilemma.

My wife and I are looking to put some money behind a second car. The first is a Zen Estillo which I find to be absolutely fantastic for the 15000 km it has run, no trouble except a slightly not perfect rear bumper...

For the second, we are looking for something which would do around 70 km per day on Delhi - Gurgaon MG Road which in 50% of times is jammed and the other 50% a pureplay highway. Some holidaying to the hills (Himachal/ Uttaranchal) on weekends, maybe about 1200 km a month on the holiday front.

Slightly lesser budget (would like to close within 10 lacs).

Having seen costs of Corolla/ Civic abroad and in India, shudder at buying a Honda/ Toyota.

Considering Ford Fiesta (Petrol/ Diesel) or Safari EX/ GX 4x2 or Sx4 Zxi and am open to any other cars except Innova (both wife and I think its a minibus) and Scorpio/ Bolero (wife doesnt like the looks).

Any advise?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2010 at 16:00.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 17:26   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Shankar thanks for your prompt response, trust your suggestions are in order of your recommendations...

Also, any Delhi bhpians who can suggest a good means to get hold of pre-owned cars mentioned by shankar above, am new to the city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
very clear requirements/ preferences indicated here!

My suggestions:
1. Safari - extremely comfortable + diesel power means you will drive anywhere without thinking twice. the new 2.2 Dicor is an excellent engine and the vehicle is good, no doubt about it. Handling it in the city and parking can be a pain because of its size/proportions. also check on your local service chapsand be satisfied on that before taking the plunge.
2. Ford Fiesta - definitely a good idea. the TDCI engine is excellent and the car is solid. Will be small in comparison to the Safari though.
3. SX4 ZXi - an excellent car. maruti's are reliable and no trouble with service. fully loaded with stuff. reasonable price. all in all a very good bet.
4. You could consider a brand new Skoda Octavia as well, if you feel like upping your budget a bit.
5. Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia - great car but somehow not burning the sales charts. I guess it is because its a couple of generations old considering the competition.

Since you are located in Delhi, you may want to consider a big pre-owned low-mileage car - of which there are plenty available there!

Possibly an ENDY, or a Suzuki GV, maybe a Pajero, even a well kept used Skoda Laura L&K or even a Skoda Superb - all of which you should be able to achieve in the budget you have set out for yourself.

If you're open to thinking pre-owned - you might even consider an Accord, Corolla, Civic etc.
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 19:33   #41
BHPian
 
magnanimousdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hi,

If you dont mind in selecting a SUV then you can prefer Scorpio, best in its class, off the lot its a good one, it has cruise control so that your foot doesn't pain too much in very long drives. i have personally experienced in scorpio (not with the cruise controlone) the ride. it felt something like i am a ship, i really slept
magnanimousdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 20:55   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k!ng_@thur View Post
Hi

For the second, we are looking for something which would do around 70 km per day on Delhi - Gurgaon MG Road which in 50% of times is jammed and the other 50% a pureplay highway. Some holidaying to the hills (Himachal/ Uttaranchal) on weekends, maybe about 1200 km a month on the holiday front.

Slightly lesser budget (would like to close within 10 lacs).

Having seen costs of Corolla/ Civic abroad and in India, shudder at buying a Honda/ Toyota.

Considering Ford Fiesta (Petrol/ Diesel) or Safari EX/ GX 4x2 or Sx4 Zxi and am open to any other cars except Innova (both wife and I think its a minibus) and Scorpio/ Bolero (wife doesnt like the looks).

Any advise?
With 70 kms/day, diesel will be easy on pocket. Read tsk1979's long term report on Safari( or the white elephant as he fondly calls it!!)
Ford- mixed review about A.S.S and spares prices. Definitely more expensive than Maruti, if you can live with a slightly expensive A.S.S, go ahead. A true driver's delight.
Innova- superb in every aspect. Do reconsider your thoughts about it.
Scorpio- another worthy contender against Innova/Safari.
Skoda- after reading so many horror stories of its A.S.S wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. Search the forum to know more about Skoda's legendary A.S.S
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 14:50   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,296 Times
Default

yes the suggestions are in the order in the post.

would certainly suggest you take a good look at some pre-owned Japanese cars as mentioned because you may feel better about their prices in the used market rather than brand new.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by k!ng_@thur View Post
Shankar thanks for your prompt response, trust your suggestions are in order of your recommendations...

Also, any Delhi bhpians who can suggest a good means to get hold of pre-owned cars mentioned by shankar above, am new to the city...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 15:16   #44
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Wink

Mohan! Buy the safari! I for one will give u a TD on mine. Let me know if you are interested.

On a serious note, I'd suggest an Innova in case of an MUV. For long distances, it is a very good MUV and from what I've heard from my friends, it is easy to drive around in the city.

Try the Chevy optra magnum! Awesome car it is and according to my VFM. Why don't you try the Linea as well?

Tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 15:33   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 446
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

My 2 cents :

Will you drive or it will be driven for you??? It is the most important part.

See considering the roads of this country you need a SUV/ MUV

However if you plan to drive Innova is a pain. it is a car to be sitting & being driven Then in that case you need a Scorpio which is relaiable & first 2 seats comfort is good.
However If you plan to have a driver & not go on too bad roads Innova is much better

I do not recommend Safari as the same job can be done in less money & more relaibility by Scorpio IMO.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chauffeur-driven / Comfortable Sedan under Rs. 10 Lakh Racer_X Sedans 165 5th July 2017 14:36
Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles IQBAL VEERJI Motorbikes 112 27th June 2017 11:53
Which are the most comfortable cars to drive long distances in? mclaren1885 The Indian Car Scene 261 10th September 2014 10:12
The Most Comfortable car/SUV ever in India dovin4 The Indian Car Scene 30 21st April 2006 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks