Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 25th November 2009, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb My AT Cars Comparison sheet in 5-12 lacs range

AT_Cars_comparison_Nov09.0.xls

This has always been the most difficult decision making process for me. one thing always supersedes other in various aspects, moment we feel we have finalized something, pops in another choice which always looks better, attaractive and lucrative and finally end up going nowhere.

The moment the wonderful feeling of buying a new car sets in, the world changes drastically, the way you look at the other car changes and for sometime the clock stops for you until you make a decision.

Am caught in the midst of this wonderful trauma trying to buy the right car for me and my family and the purchase should be cherished everytime i am in the car.

I made a mistake of not buying a AT NHC when i got my NHC and there was not a day that passed without regret and finally i reached a stage where i need to get an AT and began my search.

My initial budget was about 5lacs+, idea was to give off the NHC and adjust the sale price.
Then came the idea of buying an imported SUV, was informed about the hassles that could come attached with an old import and dropped the idea.
Heard about the Scorpio AT which seemed so sweet but the price is so high and wifey is saying think .think again (to be translated as no. No.)

I was now spoilt with choices and wanted to do some real homework trying to evaluate the various AT cars. The result was an excel sheet with the technical specifications and key features that i thought is important and i feel:

. i10- Very ideal for city driving, economical and good looking. my first choice earlier.

. i20 - was never in my consideration. But when i went thru the features, i was amazed, this car challenges many luxury cars with its features and if not for the size, i think this would have given a stiff competiton to ANHC and SX4. Should i consider this car as well, how is the performance.

. Verna - Somehow i do not like the car

. SX4- Did a short TD of this car and it was good. pickup was very good and smooth. moving in traffic was easier. Need to do a detailed TD once more.

. ANHC - driving a NHC, i have all positive feedback about ANHC except for the GC. But, i do not know if i would be able to use the paddle shift effectively and i just want to slot in and move, no changing gears whether paddle or long gear stick. will it be good to drive in D mode alone. price on the higher side again.

Scorpio - like the mhawk, looks very muscular and great road presence. easier to manevore and yet to do a TD. option of 4x4 again attracts, but way too pricey. My second choice is this car.

I am also attaching the excel sheet that i have created, it is of use to me and i thought it can support others who are with similar confusions.

I actually started this thread to share the document but then came with my confusions as well.

Please share your views.

Last edited by ikoneer : 25th November 2009 at 23:28.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

If I am not wrong, it looks like you are thoroughly confused.

If you are keen on buying diesel, TD Verna and Scorpio. They are different vehicles belonging to different segments. As per you requirements decide which car suits you best.

Next, if you are keen on petrol, TD SX4 and G3HC. Overall, I would go for SX4 because of GC, higher seating position, ride and handling, wider and better A.S & S., cheaper spares than Honda. Add to that a lower asking price.

The recently updated SX4 is reported to be better than earlier one and if I have read it right, the front suspension has been tweaked a bit. This car is a practical buy.
Honda is overpriced IMHO and though the technological advantage does exist, the asking price is on higher side.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 00:27   #3
BHPian

Petrol - SX4 or 2nd choice would be i20.
Diesel - Verna, once you are inside you cant see how ugly it looks, but will end up appreciating what the car does. Handsome is as handsome does.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 02:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Could you give us more requirements?
- Is this the only car in the family?
- Where will it be driven?
- How long do you intend on keeping the car?

I think that the i20 would be a good choice. It is expensive and in SX4 category in terms of price but,
- more features
- better quality
- easier to drive in the city due to smaller size
- better A.S.S
However, the SX4 has better power.

I would avoid the i10 if i had a higher budget and would be travelling on the highways as well. The i20 is a much better car.
From what I have understood, you drive primarily within the city, and in that case, a hatch makes more sense, as it is easier to drive. A sedan/SUV would be bigger, and though it would be an Auto, the size could get bothersome.

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th November 2009 at 02:31.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 11:38   #5
BHPian

Thanks to all.

@aggoswami: you can say that, am thoroughly confused.

The car will be mostly used in city.
I intend to keep this car for a longer time of 5+ years.

I have narrowed down to 4 cars now
i10, Scorpio, sx4, i20.

My heart is more on scorpio and i10 (liked by wife) and i am also more comfortable in driving a suv than sedans.

Let me TD's these cars this weekend and will give my feedback. Otherwise, i think its not going to get me anywhere and will only add to the confusion.

Last edited by ikoneer : 26th November 2009 at 11:40.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:44   #6
BHPian

^^
Pick up the i10, the top end one with the goodies. Goodies will keep you happy.
The car will keep your wife happy & will save you a lot of money upfront.
And a small hatch is far more convenient in the city twists / turns / lanes, than a SUV. Dont think about the SUV unless you have significant highway drives or 'bad roads' to deal with.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 12:09   #7
BHPian

Pls TD the sx4 A/T first it shall help many confused like you !! The SX4 is a drive which can manage the city and highway bad road s all in it s stride !! A few member s from mumbai took it to leh too there is a post about it !!

regards
SaaJan
m-hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 16:43   #8
BHPian

I have recently TD all the cars u have mentioned except verna. all ATs and I own a i10 AT.

SX4 - the best VFM among all the ATs. Really smooth engine and they have seem to have fixed a little nagging issues of the previous SX4. Also the rear seat now sits 3, at least better than the previous. It is almost a SUV in terms of GC, only thing it is a petrol.

ANHC - very peppy car, nice paddle shift but according to me not worth 11L.

Scorpio AT - a very neat auto transmission. the mhawk is good and i like the good height position. they have some nice features. but the interiors in comparision to others is very pale. if u really considering a SUV, then it must be this or SX4

i10 AT- definatley VFM. no doubt. 5.2 L on road u get everything.

So my preference would be in case u prefer Sedan/SX4
SX4
Scorpio
ANHC
i10
Verna

or in case u dont mind a hatch
i10
SX4
Scorpio
ANHC
Verna
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 17:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
I have narrowed down to 4 cars now
i10, Scorpio, sx4, i20.
One car from each segment?! Tough choice!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 10:43   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, thank you for sharing your comparison sheet with the rest of us.

Quote:
i10, Scorpio, sx4, i20.
If you've narrowed down to these four, I'd recommend the i20 to you. Here's why:

- i10 : Out, simply because your budget allows for the bigger i20!

- Scorpio AT : Only automatic diesel SUV this side of 15 lakhs. However, since your driving is exclusively within the city, why a big SUV?

- SX4 AT : Nice car, way improved engine with variable valve tech.

But the i20 automatic will just give you a "feel good" factor like no other. Its quality is way superior to any of the cars listed here. Great looks, awesome interiors, high on features.....yes, the price is premium. But if you can afford it, and its in your allocated budget, go for it!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

The i20 AT would be my choice.

My ony grudge with the i20 was the 1.2 engine, the car seriously deserves something like a 1.4 / 1.5 engine.

The AT luckily solved this and thankfully got a 1.4 engine.

Loaded and packed it's a good buy - a bit pricey.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 19:50   #12
BHPian

@Gto,vkochar
i was also in for a pleasant surprise when i saw the i20 features.
performance wise can it match the ANHC MT and let us not consider the paddle shift or the Sx4. how should i evaluate the performance.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:39   #13
BHPian

^^
No, performance wise i20 cant match the ANHC, not even the SX4.
Which is why it looks costly, in comparision to the SX4.

Test drive it on the roads you are usually going to travel upon. If your wife is going to be doing a fair bit of driving, have her test drive the car too.

This applies to all the cars you are considering.

See if it 'clicks' and makes you satisfied with the money you are putting down.
That is the best possible way to get an answer to your doubt.
Old 28th November 2009, 07:37   #14
BHPian

Default i20 vs SX4- dleivry time??

I am also considering i20 and Sx4. Mainly to be driven by my wife and once in 6months when I am on holiday in Pune.
So mainly Pune roads and ocassional outstation trip.

My viewpoint the convinience factor and safety features of I20 win hands down.

The only selling point for Sx4 in my viewpoints are - high ground clerance /Bigger wheels / sedan ( bigger car feel) and leather seats.

while I 20 gives, cooled glovebox, 6 airbags , elctric folding mirrors and small size in city.

Any idea how are the delivery times for both vehicles

Anil
pranil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:22   #15
BHPian

^^
i20

IMO, technicals aside, a lady would rather be seen in a cuty i20 than that macho looking SX4. Depends on individual tastes though ..