Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 25th December 2009, 11:50   #1
BHPian

Default Used Esteem or Indigo Petrol

Hi all,

Posting on behalf of my friend. There is currently a dilemma between choosing an Esteem and a Indigo Petrol.They have used an M1000 for close to 14 years now. Their usage will be in the city, mostly once a week, sometimes as less as 50 kms a week.
Priorities would be-
Cost of maintenance
Trouble free
interior space
ride and handling
Fuel efficiency

the prices for petrol indigo are indeed very tempting. Would want to know if its a good buy, any niggling issues, fuel efficiency.
People have complaints regarding its suspension, dont know how far its true.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 12:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi all,

Posting on behalf of my friend. There is currently a dilemma between choosing an Esteem and a Indigo Petrol.They have used an M1000 for close to 14 years now. Their usage will be in the city, mostly once a week, sometimes as less as 50 kms a week.
Priorities would be-
Cost of maintenance:- Nil
Trouble free:- Always
interior space:- Not bad at all
ride and handling:- Perfect
Fuel efficiency:- Depends how you drive

the prices for petrol indigo are indeed very tempting. Would want to know if its a good buy, any niggling issues, fuel efficiency.
People have complaints regarding its suspension, dont know how far its true.
ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

You haven't mentioned the budget and which MY esteem are you looking for?

Anyways, using a M1000 for 14 years means that the esteem is knocked off. Its the same car with a different engine.
The indigo petrol is a big No No. Will not return more than 8-9 kmpl in the city. Used one, moresoever is prone to troubles.

Get a used Hyundai Getz 1.3, it will fulfill all your requirements of space, comfort, mileage (about 13-14 kmpl), and decent maintenance costs. Ride is very comfortable, so is the decent handling. More spacious then the esteem, and boot space is decent too.

Or else, trying a getting a new getz prime, if it is available. They are going for real cheap. 3,59,000 is the current starting price for 1.1 GLE.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th December 2009 at 13:19.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 15:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
You haven't mentioned the budget and which MY esteem are you looking for?

Anyways, using a M1000 for 14 years means that the esteem is knocked off. Its the same car with a different engine.
The indigo petrol is a big No No. Will not return more than 8-9 kmpl in the city. Used one, moresoever is prone to troubles.

Get a used Hyundai Getz 1.3, it will fulfill all your requirements of space, comfort, mileage (about 13-14 kmpl), and decent maintenance costs. Ride is very comfortable, so is the decent handling. More spacious then the esteem, and boot space is decent too.
Dear Sidindica- Thats exactly i had said, infact my first suggestion was a hyundai getz 1.3. but they are clearly looking for a sedan. the budget will not exceed 1.2 lakhs as they are going to just occasionally use the car. They dont have a major problem with an esteem, but as you said same car with a different engine and some more features.
They have a fixation for the indigo as its bigger. Indigo is seen in mumbai in sizeable numbers. I do agree with you that indigo is prone to trouble. Wanted to know what are the possible trouble areas with an indigo. You can get a 2005 indigo for 2002 esteem prices.
Old 25th December 2009, 15:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM ESTEEM
@yogisays- I know a die hard esteem fan would say that. i personally respect the esteem. Infact thinking of doing away with my hatred for low slung seat position. If im lucky could get my other friends 18k used esteem.
Old 25th December 2009, 15:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Esteem wins on everything except interior space.

Used, Tata, and petrol are the trifecta for bad news !

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th December 2009 at 15:11.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 15:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
@yogisays- I know a die hard esteem fan would say that. i personally respect the esteem. Infact thinking of doing away with my hatred for low slung seat position. If im lucky could get my other friends 18k used esteem.
Low seating position, pleasure of driving a super car!
Go ahead and make your luck with the 18K done esteem, we are waiting to see the pics

Last edited by yogisays0909 : 25th December 2009 at 15:39.
Old 25th December 2009, 15:42   #8
BHPian

esteem with closed eyes

Everyone just likes the esteem
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 10:17   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I say neither. Ask him to choose a used Baleno. Slightly higher price than the Esteem in the used market, but a decidedly superior car in every way (engine, comfort, suspension etc.).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 10:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have a fixation for the indigo as its bigger. Indigo is seen in mumbai in sizeable numbers. I do agree with you that indigo is prone to trouble. Wanted to know what are the possible trouble areas with an indigo. You can get a 2005 indigo for 2002 esteem prices.
+
Are you talking about Indigo XL or indigo cs ? if indigo cs then, imo,she may not be bigger than Esteem?
Comparing esteem and Indigo cs - always Esteem.
The budget seems bit low otherwise you could try Baleno which will be much better than esteem or even try Hyundai Accent (strong car but then service/spares will be expensive comparing esteem?)
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 23:26   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know esteem wins hands down. But still wanted to know, if indigo can still be of some value.

@yogisays- I said i would be lucky, if i get as they are contemplating to sell, dont know at what price, but its a 97 lx, no power steering, no power windows, repainted once (mumbai weather).

@GTO- I know baleno can be a good choice, but i am skeptical for a 7-8 year old. Know of a friend who was raving about the car till he had to replace the front bumper and ac coils.

@nairrk- Im talking about neither the xl or the cs im taking about the regular indigo. the accent was negated as koreans can have more issues to the japanese.

Would still like to know the problem areas of the petrol indigo ? would be grateful to any who could point out.
Old 26th December 2009, 23:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know esteem wins hands down. But still wanted to know, if indigo can still be of some value.

@yogisays- I said i would be lucky, if i get as they are contemplating to sell, dont know at what price, but its a 97 lx, no power steering, no power windows, repainted once (mumbai weather).
Chote, go ahead buy it, if they are selling it! 60-70K is more than enough for that.
I had the same lx model, now I have changed the interiors to type 3 along with power window.
Regarding the Power Steering, i personally don't need one! Up-to your choice with PS.
Old 27th December 2009, 12:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

@kavesh: Close your eyes and go for the Esteem. You will have no regrets at all. Being a six footer myself, I still prefer the low slung seat of the Esteem to the tall boys. Gives me a sense of confidence and ample comfort for my back. Have been owning one for the last six years and can vouch for it.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 18:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Chote, go ahead buy it, if they are selling it! 60-70K is more than enough for that.
I had the same lx model, now I have changed the interiors to type 3 along with power window.
Regarding the Power Steering, i personally don't need one! Up-to your choice with PS.
Just wanted to know what is the cost of converting the interiors to type 3. Please let me know, an bifurcation would be ideal.
Old 1st January 2010, 20:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone knows what I would say. Indigo ?? No no NO !!!
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote