Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:04   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Dilemma - New premium Hatch or Used mid-size Sedan?

Tbhp has always helped me at times where I had to take a decision be it cars, electronics, restaurants, vacation, airlines etc.

Here I am again. I am planning one more car purchase in a few weeks. The issue is I am unable to decide.

Here's what the situtaion is like. I have 2 hatchbacks, Alto and Zen. Zen will have to go out for sure. I have owned only hatchs, Zen was my 5th one.

In Chennai, a hatch is a must. Very difficult to get around with only a sedan. Quick runs, shopping, school pickup and drop, squeezing into the tight parking slots at office all warrant a hatchback.

But I feel its time to upgrade to something bigger and more comfortable. I am not a speed freak, but now need decent ride, plush, quality and spacious interiors. Also need all the safety features available today.

I have 2 options in mind:

Option 1

Retain the Alto as primary car and buy an Used 2006-2008 Corolla H2 (below 40K kms) for about 6.5L. Corolla will be a secondary car for using 2-3 times a week and for long drives only. Used Honda City Gxi/VTEC is the 2nd option.

I prefer the Corolla for its spacy interiors, great build, ride comfort, features (like Climate control, power mirrors, alloys, Airbags etc) and Brand image.

Will spruce up the Alto a bit to make it feel better, say like long overdue tyre upgrade to Michelins, good seat covers, power windows etc. That way, I dont feel bored. I will have the Corolla/City to pamper me during weekend and long drives.

Option 2

Sell Alto and get a new i20 Asta petrol for 6.3L (Prefer it for the awesome interiors, cool features, spacious cabin etc)

I am not able to decide. I am bit worried about the Used car option as I dont have much information on owning Corolla/City, although I have driven both several times.

My questions:

1. What are the possible areas that I need to focus on while buying a Used Corolla/City. What are the parts prone to failure at around 40k kms? I did read many City long term reviews, not much on Corolla.

2. Since both models (2006-2008) have been discontinued, will spares availability be an issue?

3. Any info on good pvt service centers in Chennai that can handle these cars?

4. Opinion on buying certified used cars from Toyota/Honda dealerships. Both have a decent selection of cars.

Hope your feedback will help to arrive at a decision.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 3rd February 2010 at 23:07.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 02:56   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

Why not keep the Alto, and get the i20 for long drives?
The Alto is a 2006 model, and is still a virgin, and will be much better than the i20 for the city.

If that is not an option, you could get a used corolla or city.
Spares should not be an issue for another 5-6 years and both of these cars are very reliable.
The City is more FE and easier to drive, whereas the Corolla has more power, space, and is more stable on the highways.
Also, the Corolla has better safety specs, with ABS and Airbags.

However, be sure to get the car checked by a reliable mechanic, or A.S.S.
The corolla has a weak suspension and many cars have uneven tyre wear which was corrected in the post-06 models.
In the case of the city, due to the design crumple zones, the body dents very easily, so do get the car checked thoroughly.
Also, do remember that a car done 40Kkm will need new tyres soon, and depending on how it is driven, it might need a new clutch and maybe some suspension parts in the next 20-30Kkm.
There is a checklist for used cars on the forum. Do check it out.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,772
Thanked: 89,495 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Retain the Alto as primary car and buy an Used 2006-2008 Corolla H2 (below 40K kms) for about 6.5L. Corolla will be a secondary car for using 2-3 times a week and for long drives only. Used Honda City Gxi/VTEC is the 2nd option.
This is the option I'd go with. You have the Alto for those quick city trips. The Corolla will serve you well on the highway, nights out with the family and airport runs.

You said it yourself:

Quote:
I will have the Corolla/City to pamper me during weekend and long drives.
Quote:
Option 2

Sell Alto and get a new i20 Asta petrol for 6.3L (Prefer it for the awesome interiors, cool features, spacious cabin etc)
I don't agree with this. One hatch + one sedan is a more versatile garage than another with two hatches. The used Corolla will trump the i20 in every which way.

Quote:
What are the possible areas that I need to focus on while buying a Used Corolla/City. What are the parts prone to failure at around 40k kms? I did read many City long term reviews, not much on Corolla.
Corolla's are good for 2 - 3 lakh kms easily. Just follow the usual Used car stuff (check for accident damage, abused mechanicals etc.). Our Used Car Buying Article (ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India) is your new best friend

Quote:
Since both models (2006-2008) have been discontinued, will spares availability be an issue?
Both were also very successful. Thus, the manufacturer & dealer have an added incentive to maintain part supplies. You won't have any issue at all with sourcing parts.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 16:23   #4
BHPian
 
ikoneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 486
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
I would like to use them for outstation driving mainly but concerned with the fact that would honda NHC burn hole in your pocket in term of maintainance?
I am having a NHC for about 2.5 years now and except for the regular service costs of about 2k, i have not spent anything on maintenance so far. Its a very reliable car.

If you are looking at ABS and Air Bags then the used NHC's (2-3 yrs old) may not have these features.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 16:46   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Well, I thought I was the only one in this dilemma!

My story goes thus - ever since Punto was launched, my eyes were pretty much set on it and was looking fwd to the 1st anniv in June later this yr to get some decent deals.
Then came the Figo and the price it was launched at, completely blew me over! The OTR price diff in Blr between TDCI titanium and Punto MJD E PK was almost 1.3l and with the freebies offered on the Punto roughly 1l.
Then I chanced upon the "lateral upgrade" thread, which has now left me in complete confusion!

To the gurus:
- how expensive is a Fiesta to maintain?
- what is the FE of the 1.6 Fiesta in the city and highway?
- my monthly commute will definitely not exceed 1000kms. But, in the used car market, should I look at the 1.6 or the 1.4 TDCI? I TD the Figo and was quite impressed with it!
- a quick check on the net showed plenty of used Fiestas between 4.75 to 6l. With BS4 norms coming in and also the launch of the new Fiesta, how deep could be the resale impact? I plan to keep the car for atleast 2-3 yrs

thanks a bunch!
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:48   #6
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
- my monthly commute will definitely not exceed 1000kms. But, in the used car market, should I look at the 1.6 or the 1.4 TDCI? I TD the Figo and was quite impressed with it!
Buddy, drive the 1.6 and 1.4 TD and decide. The decision would be based on what type of driver you are. 1.4 TD is surprisingly quick off the block, but it kind of runs out of steam after 120 KpH. If you ask me, I'd go with 1.6, as I like a car that could be driven sedately on city roads and is flexible and relaxed on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
- a quick check on the net showed plenty of used Fiestas between 4.75 to 6l. With BS4 norms coming in and also the launch of the new Fiesta, how deep could be the resale impact? I plan to keep the car for atleast 2-3 yr?
First generation 1.4 Petrol Fiestas should be available at ~3.5 Lakhs in Bangalore. Also note that initially only SXi came with ABS.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 18:37   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

As GTO suggested, I would say keep the Alto and go for the Corolla. Provided the Corolla is in a good condition.

The advantage is, it is always better if one can to keep 2 cars. Several times, we may have to go to really crowded places, where a new or a big car may give us headaches.

Option 1 is what I would recommend here
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 18:52   #8
BHPian
 
srikanthpotluri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 369
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

I would recommend you to go through this thread as well once -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-car-less.html
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 21:08   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Here's what the situtaion is like. I have 2 hatchbacks, Alto and Zen. Zen will have to go out for sure. I have owned only hatchs, Zen was my 5th one.

In Chennai, a hatch is a must. Very difficult to get around with only a sedan. Quick runs, shopping, school pickup and drop, squeezing into the tight parking slots at office all warrant a hatchback.
Can you tell us why you had 2 cars in the first place? Agree that a hatch in Chennai is like critical, but any recos will depend on what you will use the second car for...
k!ng_@thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 07:50   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Well, I thought I was the only one in this dilemma!

My story goes thus - ever since Punto was launched, my eyes were pretty much set on it and was looking fwd to the 1st anniv in June later this yr to get some decent deals.
Then came the Figo and the price it was launched at, completely blew me over! The OTR price diff in Blr between TDCI titanium and Punto MJD E PK was almost 1.3l and with the freebies offered on the Punto roughly 1l.
Then I chanced upon the "lateral upgrade" thread, which has now left me in complete confusion!

To the gurus:
- how expensive is a Fiesta to maintain?
- what is the FE of the 1.6 Fiesta in the city and highway?
- my monthly commute will definitely not exceed 1000kms. But, in the used car market, should I look at the 1.6 or the 1.4 TDCI? I TD the Figo and was quite impressed with it!
- a quick check on the net showed plenty of used Fiestas between 4.75 to 6l. With BS4 norms coming in and also the launch of the new Fiesta, how deep could be the resale impact? I plan to keep the car for atleast 2-3 yrs

thanks a bunch!
We have a Fiesta TDCi and the car is relatively trouble free.
If you want a sedan, that is quite a safe bet.

However, between all these cars, I would first ask you to ask yourself if you would want a sedan, i.e. do you see yourself using the boot space?
I ask this because in the city, a hatch is much more easier to drive and park in the city, and the new generation ones such as the Punto and Figo are quite stable and safe for highway drives as well.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 13:16   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
We have a Fiesta TDCi and the car is relatively trouble free.
If you want a sedan, that is quite a safe bet.

However, between all these cars, I would first ask you to ask yourself if you would want a sedan, i.e. do you see yourself using the boot space?
I ask this because in the city, a hatch is much more easier to drive and park in the city, and the new generation ones such as the Punto and Figo are quite stable and safe for highway drives as well.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I've zeroed in on the Punto, through company car scheme .. financially and personally works well for me.
As you rightly mentioned, I am in no need of a boot and for my highway drives, the Punto will surely be an awesome car
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Releases Teaser Sketch for New Mid-Size Sedan aka NMS hanmust The International Automotive Scene 8 3rd November 2009 20:22
A real dilemma New Big Sedan + Old SUV or New SUV + new small sedan adithyav What Car? 32 5th August 2009 07:32
Need help in deciding on upgrade from Honda Civic 1.8S MT to mid size AT sedan jaidevmurti Sedans 11 14th June 2009 22:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks