Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 15:47   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the w124 (E class) is a far smaller car than the w140 (S class). the size is also narrower than the w140.

w124


w140
Guys i know a lot of people love the W124 (me included), however how good is the W140??

Does it have the same built quality and feel to it as W124 or its more like the ones that followed W124's

I really like the looks of W140. I recently saw one at the multilevel parking lot in NP in Delhi and was struck by its clean lines and stately appearance. Any information of its innings in India would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 30th October 2007 at 15:49. Reason: spell chek!
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 15:56   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Guys i know a lot of people love the W124 (me included), however how good is the W140??

Does it have the same built quality and feel to it as W124 or its more like the ones that followed W124's

I really like the looks of W140. I recently saw one at the multilevel parking lot in NP in Delhi and was struck by its clean lines and stately appearance. Any information of its innings in India would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elito
Elito the w140 is the same build quality of the w124. i fondly call the car a tank for its strong build and wide frame. the car though it a fuel guzzler and not meant for the weak hearted. the spare parts are also expensive. ride quality is excellent with the features as you know it is an S class. the car came in two engine options 8 cylinder and 12 cylinder. like you said the car does have a stately appearance. it did have a great innings in india and even today it commands respect.

Last edited by speedy : 30th October 2007 at 15:57.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 17:28   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

IIRC early 140's had quite a few electrical gremlins so you might wanna be careful about that. Rest for more details please contact the in-house old Merc salesman: Mr. V-16

Last edited by iraghava : 30th October 2007 at 17:30.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 18:27   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Elito the w140 is the same build quality of the w124. i fondly call the car a tank for its strong build and wide frame. the car though it a fuel guzzler and not meant for the weak hearted. the spare parts are also expensive. ride quality is excellent with the features as you know it is an S class. the car came in two engine options 8 cylinder and 12 cylinder. like you said the car does have a stately appearance. it did have a great innings in india and even today it commands respect.
Thanks Speedy. I was in a hurry when i saw the car. And was about to dismiss it as a well maintained W124 when something just made me turn back again and again till i realised it was something else!! unfortunately i was in a real hurry and preoccupied so couls not check.

It was quite a looker!!


Quote:
IIRC early 140's had quite a few electrical gremlins so you might wanna be careful about that. Rest for more details please contact the in-house old Merc salesman: Mr. V-16
@iraghava

Sir i have no illusions about the state of my finances! I asked for knowledge's sake and for the fact that posting a query is a real pleasure after becoming a bhpian (instant gratification).

Thanks nonetheless!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 19:40   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Rest for more details please contact the in-house old Merc salesman: Mr. V-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
@iraghava

Sir i have no illusions about the state of my finances! I asked for knowledge's sake and for the fact that posting a query is a real pleasure after becoming a bhpian (instant gratification).

Elito
.. Elito did you actually think V-16 is an old mercedes salesman. what ishan meant to say was if you have any more quiries V-16 would be able to guide you better.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 20:23   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
.. Elito did you actually think V-16 is an old mercedes salesman. what ishan meant to say was if you have any more quiries V-16 would be able to guide you better.

I think the better term would be mercyclopedia!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 20:33   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Elito did you actually think V-16 is an old mercedes salesman. what ishan meant to say was if you have any more quiries V-16 would be able to guide you better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think the better term would be mercyclopedia!
Well can't blame poor Elito since Gogi's the one going around saying "Bring Home A Star"
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 22:56   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think the better term would be mercyclopedia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well can't blame poor Elito since Gogi's the one going around saying "Bring Home A Star"
i just could'nt agree better. the Mercyclopedia bringing home a star.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 23:20   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,625
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Guys i know a lot of people love the W124 (me included), however how good is the W140??

Does it have the same built quality and feel to it as W124 or its more like the ones that followed W124's
The W140 is an excellent car. Though substantially expensive to maintain than a W124, it's also a Mercedes built to last.

It's filled with electronics - though thankfully, not to the same extent as the next generation S-Class, the W220, but be sure you pick carefully.

Go for a dealer-maintained one with service records - thats safer.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 23:59   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 477
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
.. Elito did you actually think V-16 is an old mercedes salesman. what ishan meant to say was if you have any more quiries V-16 would be able to guide you better.
! well not really..i just assumed he must be a enthusiast who COULD give pointer if someone want to buy one. Thats all i assumed!!

@AAH Thanks but i find it embarassing that ur giving me adive on buying one!!!! No money!!!!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 21:14   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The car is slow, unless you are travelling on some bad roads and want a clunker to do it in, why would you look at it. Unless, you really want to put effort into restoring it.

w124 is much more superior to drive and parts will be easier to get
I would like to know which car do you drive to call it slow.

A Mercedes is never slow and the W123 is one of the Best Cars to have in the city.

Anyway we stay in India and we do need a strong car to take on our bad roads.


btw I own a W124.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th November 2007 at 23:33. Reason: Please familiarize yourself with TBHP rules.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 5th November 2007, 21:22   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Check if there is any black smoke coming out of the exhaust when you rev the engine, also check the engine oil (color and for particulate matter) > a good trick is to check the inside/underside of the oil filler cap.
A Diesel car does produce black smoke from the exhaust. I saw a New VW Passat also smoking.

Can someone tell me what would be the price for a well maintained W140

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th November 2007 at 23:36.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 23:39   #58
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I would like to know which car do you drive to call it slow.
"The ~65HP engine rockets it from 0-60mph in a mere 20+ seconds! "

This IS a 30+year old 2.4L deisel engine we are talking about.

However, they do have a very respectable top speed, and they do

Quote:
A Mercedes is never slow and the W123 is one of the Best Cars to have in the city.
I will agree with you on that.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th November 2007 at 23:45.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 01:19   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I would like to know which car do you drive to call it slow.

A Mercedes is never slow and the W123 is one of the Best Cars to have in the city.

Anyway we stay in India and we do need a strong car to take on our bad roads.
Can someone tell me what would be the price for a well maintained W140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
"The ~65HP engine rockets it from 0-60mph in a mere 20+ seconds! "

This IS a 30+year old 2.4L deisel engine we are talking about.

However, they do have a very respectable top speed, and they do
cya
R
the car has a respectible top speed considering i have beaten a modded esteem with my 240d and the car is tough as hell for our indian roads and it just does not know when to stop unless you apply the brakes. like i have maintained allways a complete work horse.

@ supercars a w140 should be approximitly from 10 lacs upto 20 odd lacs depending on the condition of the car and the model it is.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 10:52   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Wow. What would be the price for a S320 W140 ?

I will tell you guys the price I was told; later. It was for sale at a Mercedes Dealership.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Me, My buddy and his Mercedes W123 240D -1984 vinayvtec Super-Cars & Imports in India 25 10th January 2014 13:11
Help Needed With W123 240d benzbala Post-War 35 21st March 2013 13:53
A single owner '85 W123 Mercedes 240D Ricky_63 Luxury, Imports & Niche 9 16th November 2010 23:02
Original Mercedes 240D 123.. Ramanna Post-War 17 6th May 2010 09:53
Mercedes W115 240D Restoration inmate Post-War 13 1st April 2010 18:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:08.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks