Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 14th February 2010, 02:02   #1
BHPian

Question 1.4 Fiesta EXI TDCi or Swift VDi EDIT - Booked Fiesta ZXi

Hi guys,

Me planning to buy my first car and have shortlisted Fiesta and Swift after having test driven (as passenger cause i dont know how to drive, yet) in 4 cars today. Other two cars were i20 CRDi and Punto MJD.

Swift seems to be super VFM and meets all my needs as most of the time i will be driving alone so i need not care about the small boot space or rear seat claustrophobia! Also, i think i can live with minor rattles. The reasons to consider Fiesta EXI even though it is dearer by 2L are:
  1. Ride quality seemed better in the short ride i took today
  2. I fear I will grow over Swift soon - I plan to keep the car for 5 years atleast so I cant be sure if the hatch will suffice few years from now
  3. Relatively speaking, Fiesta has that luxurious feel to it.
  4. Read a lot about Fiesta's responsive steering - I am an enthusiast biker and i'm sure i will enjoy this when i learn to drive.
  5. Read a lot about 0 turbo lag from the engine
  6. This point may not make any sense, but today when i sat in the drivers seat of all 4 cars, somehow Fiesta seemed just perfect!
Now having 6 points over Swift one would assume its a very clear and simple choice, but unfortunately it is not! There are 2 very vital points which are stopping me from taking the leap and getting a Fiesta.
  1. Fuel Efficiency - I know Fiesta holds some record for being most fuel efficient diesel, but i am sure that was comparison within sedans. How does it fare with Swift VDi? If the difference is just 1 or 2 kmpl it doesnt matter, but if the difference is big then i will have to let go of my Fiesta dream. Car will run between 50 to 75% on highways.
  2. Maintenance cost - This is even more crucial and difficult for me to understand as this will be my first car and i have no clue about the ownership costs. I understand that maintenance will be higher for a non-maruti car, but how much extra $$ will i have to spend? Say in a year..
I plan to use this car extensively i.e. upto 1800 - 2000 kms/month so both the points are very important to my car buying decision. Hence, i need some expert advice. Please feel free to add anything important that i may have missed in my analysis of these 2 cars or anything in general.

Also, i would like to add, Ford has launched the limited edition diesel in surrounding cities which is priced 30K cheaper than EXI model inspite of having more features! I am from Navi Mumbai and would like to source this car from Pune if i happen to finally choose Fiesta. Can there be any problems with this??

I know i have asked many questions here and maybe not all of them can be answered. I will anyways appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 18:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kapil, you seem to be sold on the Fiesta with the only points of consideration being:

1. The fact that its 2 lakhs more expensive. Why not wait for the Ford Figo? Launch is just around the corner and it will be priced bang in Swift territory. Look up my review on the same.

2. Fuel efficiency : That 1.4 TDCi unit is known for its efficiency.

3. After-sales : A Ford concern, yes. Ford's dealership experience is not a match on that of Marutis, and neither are the ownership costs.

As an all-round package, the Figo TDCi is way superior to the Swift. It's got more space, a far better ride and lacks the turbolag of the Swift. Just like the Swift, the Figo is fun to drive and has a great steering. My suggestion : Wait for the car's launch, test-drive and then come back to update this thread.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 23:42   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion GTO. Yes, i did read your review on Figo. My only concern is that the car is new and has not proved itself in the market, unlike both Fiesta and Swift.
That fear of going the Fusion way looms in my mind. Anyways, i will wait for the launch like you suggested and see if Figo is able to sweep me off my feet like Fiesta did..
Old 15th February 2010, 14:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Kapil,

Nice to see you here

See the Swift Diesel is an addictive car & will make sure that you never get bored of it but having said that the Fiesta would have more space, big car feeling & similar/better mileage.

I would say check Figo too & then weigh your options. If you plan to keep the car for over 5 years then getting a bigger car might be a good option.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 14:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ford maintenance cost is not that high as many people thinking!
They have the 4 year or 150,000 kms warranty scheme (first 2 year free and 3rd/4th year against additional payment - for petrol cars it is around rs.9000/-for 2 years) and with it the maintance cost is going to be nill or very minimum?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:08   #6
BHPian

Ford maintenance costs belong to a big stereotype that the expenses are high. I owned a Ford Ikon for about 4 years (Just sold it about years back) and seriously, I was hard as a nut, and really unbelievably reliable. There again is a misconception that American cars maintenance costs burn a hole in the pockets, which Ford has defied. (Although yes, Chevy and Opel have their issues)

As a car manufacturer, I have a good amount of confidence in Ford. Also, remember, Ford was one of the few companies to beat the automobile industry slump during the recession.

Regarding your choice of Switch v/s Fiesta, I'd say you wait for the Figo to launch. It is estimated to be priced somewhere near Swift, although since the Govt. is withdrawing the stimulus (which is a BAD move!!), the duty on cars above 1.2L engines is increasing, so expect a price rise of approx Rs.35 - 50k.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:17   #7
BHPian

@ Kedar: Thank you. Yes, Fiesta does feel more luxurious from inside. I am sure Figo would be a great car, but i am scared to put my money on something that has not proved itself in the market.

@Nairrk: Yes, I have been told by the sales guy about extended warranty. Also, they are now providing total maintenance plan for 28K. I am not sure what the period is, but will confirm that soon. Thanks for your suggestion!

I have sent PM and emails to many other Fiesta owners and all have given very nice feedback. I feel more confident now. Lets see.. i will update once i take a decision.

Thanks!
Old 15th February 2010, 19:24   #8
BHPian

You said you want to keep the car for 5 years & so i'd advice you to strongly consider other cars for this very reason. I absolutely adore the Fiesta but i think it'll have a revamp a year or so down the line & i can't imagine driving a car which is not as old but yet made to look ancient cause a newer variant is out. Ditto for the swift. Didn't fancy a swift myself (booked an i20).
Also, the Ford A.S.S is a major concern. You seem to be sold on the Fiesta so i'd suggest you take GTO's advice & look at the Figo which'll be out soon enough. The cabin space is great & the car looks fresh.

Have you considered the VW Polo? Its got some great features, & from what i read, is a pleasure to drive. The car will launch on the 23rd (i think) & it should made a great proposition for you. Did a bit of research myself on the car & found out vw's service is nowhere connected with skoda's which was a big relief.

I'd say take you time, learn to drive... this way you'll be able to test the cars yourself & a lot more cars will be released within a month's time!
Musicmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 21:39   #9
BHPian

@Nutcracker: Thanks for the reassurance. I was always inclined towards getting something that has been tried and tested. Maybe i will take the risk of getting a new car while buying my second car..

@Musicmaker: Makes sense. Fiesta has already been here for quite some time. I am myself head over heals over Polo's looks. But what can one say about maintenance until it has been run for over a year.. plus its from VW, service may not be as bad as Skoda, but it can still be as expensive. lets see.. i am willing to wait till 23rd, but then the risk of price hike also looms.. Never thought buying a car would be so confusing
Old 16th February 2010, 14:51   #10
BHPian

Was at a VW dealership yesterday. The guy tells me the VW Polo will cost somewhere around Rs. 7 lakhs. Makes sense, I seriously thought German engineering for 4-5 lakhs was a gimmick and just public rumour.

@iamkapilb By the way, the Fiat guy had a Punto promo event around my office locality. I was out war my usual after lunch walk and smoke, when I came across them, and decided to give the Fiat Grande Punto 1.4L Petrol a test drive. It left me impressed!!! Love the way it handles our Indian Roads. I drive a Honda City iVTEC, which isnt even close to how the Punto handles pot holes and those common high arc speed breakers, something which is there in the Linea too. The ride is a very smooth ride. The gear shifts and buttery. Give it a test drive. I've heard great things about the Punto 1.3 MJD (this site has reviews and ownership reports) which unfortunately was not available for test drive.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 02:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

@iamkapilb:
As mentioned before and in several posts, do look at the Figo. Since it will be new in the market, it wont be updated or refreshed soon, you shall get it at the special introductory price, and since it is built on a similar platform as the Indian fiesta with similar diesel engines, but a lighter weight, performance and FE would be better, and maintainance costs would be similar.
Looking at your post, I really feel the Figo would be the car for you, as it combines everything you want.

The Polo being a VW (which is more upmarket than Skoda), will definitely be substantially more expensive to maintain than the fiesta/figo.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 06:54   #12
BHPian

I say, go for the Swift Vdi if you are looking for power and mileage. Fiesta can also be a good choice. Since I don't own a Fiesta can't say more about it. Power is less when compared to the Swift and I heard most of my friends complaining this. Also, my personal feeling too (drove it once).
If you want to feel big, go for Fiesta as Swift is too compact (didn't like the leg room).
vinesataris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 08:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Was at a VW dealership yesterday. The guy tells me the VW Polo will cost somewhere around Rs. 7 lakhs.
I had called Shaman Ford and came to know that they have changed to VW dealership. So inquired about VW Polo. I got the same reply - betweeh 5 to 8L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
the Fiat guy had a Punto promo event around my office locality.
My friend and a person next to my parking lot in my building has Punto MJD. Both are satisfied with their cars. Though they are quick to point out that service experience is not all that great. But again, how often will one need to service this machine in a year when it has such large service intervals?
I did take my mom for a drive in this, but she was not too impressed. She would rather go for Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Looking at your post, I really feel the Figo would be the car for you, as it combines everything you want.
The sales person in Ford dealership was saying that the show car will be available this Saturday. And there has been a development. I have been told someone from our extended family has passed away. Closely related enough for us to not buy a car for 12 days and distant enough that i havent seen or heard about him ever! So cant give the booking amount till 24th. I will wait and watch till then..

Yesterday i did some bargaining at a Mumbai dealership and he dropped the advertised price by 25000 (which is 3000 less than what New Mumbai dealer was offering) and is also offering freebies like floor mats, mud flap, Garware sunfilm and Teflon coating (not interested in this). So the bargaining has started

Are there any other accessories specific to Fiesta which i should be asking for if the sales rep calls again? To begin with i would like to replace Teflon coating with something else. He said value is 3.5K and i asked for the rear spoiler Obviously he denied saying its too expensive.

I can ask for underbody anti rust coating if Fiesta doesnt already comes with that or Autocop...
Old 17th February 2010, 09:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
I say, go for the Swift Vdi if you are looking for power and mileage. Fiesta can also be a good choice. Since I don't own a Fiesta can't say more about it. Power is less when compared to the Swift and I heard most of my friends complaining this. Also, my personal feeling too (drove it once).
If you want to feel big, go for Fiesta as Swift is too compact (didn't like the leg room).
Hi vinesataris,
Swift was the car i used to dream about and was (or should i say am) 99% certain of buying. Not because of the looks, but the value it offers - price point, FE, A.S.S. and that amazing engine. Space is not a problem as we are a family of 3 and ditto with leg room as no one in my family is above 5'9". Plus my budget did not permit spending anything more. Infact even today if you see thats the only available hatch i have kept as an option even though i20 feels much more comfortable and Punto has better suspension.

Fiesta came into my mind later on as my friends and many TBHPians praised the steering response, tractable engine and FE. Also the cars looks good and feels a tad bit luxurious when compared to Swift. Most importantly, the sponsor (read dad) has agreed to pay for it

Thank you for your suggestion!
Old 17th February 2010, 21:00   #15
BHPian

I saw the new fiesta hatch in chennai couple of days ago. Not sure about its launch timing but one thing for sure; the moment it hits the road, the current fiesta's resale value will fly south by a lakh for sure (unless they call it something else than fiesta). The new one looks really stunning. Just thought i would say this for any potential fiesta buyer.

dev
irdevanand is offline   Reply With Quote